ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Sheppard leads the country in True Shooting Percentage

TS% takes into account threes being worth more, and free throws. Reed at 76.4% is top in the nation. Basically means he's the most efficient scorer in the entire NCAA.

Genes matter. Fundamentals do too. Reed was taught how to play literally every facet of the game the right way. After years of getting “athletes” with no skill at UK, it’s refreshing to get back to this kind of player.

Hate that UK will only have him for one year. He is one of those rare players that makes everyone around him better!

Those players aren’t as rare as you think. It’s just that Cal historically has not made them recruiting priorities. Ask yourself this: if Reed was not a Kentucky kid and the son of Jeff Sheppard, would Cal have even offered him? I think we all know the answer, and I think Cal needs to really think about that going forward.

Those players aren’t as rare as you think. It’s just that Cal historically has not made them recruiting priorities. Ask yourself this: if Reed was not a Kentucky kid and the son of Jeff Sheppard, would Cal have even offered him? I think we all know the answer, and I think Cal needs to really think about that going forward.
Yes, those players are out there, the kid from Illinois and a kid from UConn as well. Of course they were not originally recruited by those schools as they were overlooked coming out of high school. Perry will be in that mold next year, just not as athletic as Reed.

Reactions: Wonky and Fox2monk
I think youve brought this up several times. Cal got him period.

1st in the SEC in steals and steals per game

4th in Assists and Assists per game

He's actually 16th overall in total defensive rebounds

5th in 3s made

I guess he hasn't taken enough 3, but he should be #1 in % if he were to have taken more. Same goes for FT% where he'd be top 4. He'd also lead in eFG% at 74.4

He has spent his career carrying teams and individual players to heights they could only dream of. He managed to do do this very successfully. And in doing so, he has learned more about making himself and others better than almost every five star "athlete" ever does.

This roster and team is starting to remind me of the 2014-15 team. Plenty of talent, very good bench, but the wrong starting backcourt.

I hope so but I don’t see it, his numbers are so good I think he will be pushing a lottery pick by the end of the year.
I understand. For me though:
...Jeff/Stacey are not your normal parents
...Jeff knows NBA
...They live 2 hour drive to watch Reed play
...Next season Reed would likely be featured (etc etc)
...NIL $$ for Reed would be massive next season

Reactions: KFuqua and Aike
Hate that UK will only have him for one year. He is one of those rare players that makes everyone around him better!
Watched Reed several times on HS and knew he was much better than his doubters, but is certainly taking it to a different level. I'm hopeful he stays until after his sophmore year, but if he's quarantined lottery he has to go.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
All I read there is he's not shooting enough. Don't think that Cal, just think the kid is unselfish and defers more than he should. Needs to shoot 5-10 good threes per game.

Reactions: treyforuk
All I read there is he's not shooting enough. Don't think that Cal, just think the kid is unselfish and defers more than he should. Needs to shoot 5-10 good threes per game.
There's a balance to it.

Guys are efficient in large part because they select good shots and don't seek out volume. Volume and efficiency are inversely related when it comes to sports.

There are times Reed passes up decent shots trying to get a great shot for a teammate. But his passing is also part of what makes him such a complete player.

Yes, those players are out there, the kid from Illinois and a kid from UConn as well. Of course they were not originally recruited by those schools as they were overlooked coming out of high school. Perry will be in that mold next year, just not as athletic as Reed.
That is a difference. You do not have to be the most athletic player on the court. But you do need to be athletic enough to get yourself open to take advantage of those skills. That may be where Perry struggles, we’ll see. I think Perry’s goal should be to be like Chris Lofton (but in Blue).

There's a balance to it.

Guys are efficient in large part because they select good shots and don't seek out volume. Volume and efficiency are inversely related when it comes to sports.

There are times Reed passes up decent shots trying to get a great shot for a teammate. But his passing is also part of what makes him such a complete player.
Great post!

I’ll just add to the one statement, he may pass up a decent shot for himself to get a teammate a great shot (or even a great shot 2-3-4 passes later for himself).

Reactions: Cats192
There's a balance to it.

I agree, just saying we need to get him that many good shots. Reed passes up to many of them.

I agree it's a balance. I don't want him going overboard, but he needs to take more.

Reactions: Cats192
The Sheppards are wealthy, but if Reed is lottery pick, he has to take it. You just can't take the chance by staying.

Reed- when on the court, takes a shot around 17% of the time. Our next to last worst offensive player takes a shot 25% of the time. They play the same position. This really must change.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I really thought he’d be a 2 MAYBE a 3 year player. Not so sure about that now.
Our only hope is the NBA criticizing his defense. Not being able to stay in front of his man is probably his biggest weakness. He helps make up for it with his quick hands and anticipation. He does sometimes try and gamble a bit to much trying to jump out into passing lanes. I'm not sure if that's enough to keep him around another year.

The only way I see him staying is if he decides he needs to get physically stronger to be able to handle 80+ games OR if he wants to maximize the life of dream of playing for the Cats.

Very accurate indeed!

655830e87bd2e.image.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT