ADVERTISEMENT

Sheppard

The freshman guard currently leads the nation in true shooting percentage at 74.6% and 3-point shooting at 54.1%. He’s on pace to beat Doron Lamb’s all-time Kentucky career shooting record of 47.5% by nearly seven percentage points.
Lot of basketball left to be played, but barring a slump (I'm looking at you Devin Booker) at the end of the season you would expect his 3P% to finish at worst around 48%-49%.

The great shooting percentage doesn’t help the team if he keeps passing up WIDE open shots. He needs to be shooting 5-7 threes every game. Not only will he score a bunch but it will open things up even more for everyone else.

Reed needs to realize he's just as worthy of having the ball in his hand as DJ or Dilly and certainly Edwards. He's too nice. Go out there and take it. If that means you outshine DJ and Dilly.. oh well. They'll be OK lol.

Last edited:
Yeah, he passes on some open looks, but I never see them run plays to get him the ball. Lots of times he is wide open, and the other guards take highly contested shots.
I’ve only seen that a couple of times. And I doubt it’s hog ball. It’s more adrenaline and/or your brain just forgets. This team shares quite a bit.

Have we run any floppy action for Reed at all this year? We used to run that all the time for guys like Tyler Herro and Kellen Grady.

Doesn't it feel like our offense just flowed a little better with Grady and Ty, when they were healthy, DESPITE those teams being a lot less talented? We don't seem to run as much for Shep as we did for Grady.

I keep saying it. Despite scoring 90, it just seems like it's a hard 90 to come by.

Doesn't it feel like our offense just flowed a little better with Grady and Ty, when they were healthy, DESPITE those teams being a lot less talented? We don't seem to run as much for Shep as we did for Grady.

I keep saying it. Despite scoring 90, it just seems like it's a hard 90 to come by.
It does feel weird to ask questions about the offense when we are scoring so much, for sure. I've just specifically looked for that floppy action on the baseline, pin down screens or double screens to get Reed going back and forth along the baseline until he frees himself up in one of the corners. Something designed specifically to get him a shot. I'm not sure I've seen that action all year and we used to run it quite a bit, with shooters less prolific than Sheppard.

I don't know about that. Grady had a somewhat slow start and got really hot for about a 6 week period from Jan to mid-Feb. We also still ran a lot of offense through Oscar that year. Feel like the ball moves better in general now. We'll have to see how this year's offense evolves as teams look to slow us down. When it comes to Shep, I do feel like he's a facilitator first, and that seems to be his mindset. He definitely needs to look for his shot more, and I think he needs to do so earlier in the game. I realize he comes off the bench and that's part of it, but feel like he's more apt to look for his shot in crunch time as opposed to throughout the game.

I don't know about that. Grady had a somewhat slow start and got really hot for about a 6 week period from Jan to mid-Feb. We also still ran a lot of offense through Oscar that year. Feel like the ball moves better in general now. We'll have to see how this year's offense evolves as teams look to slow us down. When it comes to Shep, I do feel like he's a facilitator first, and that seems to be his mindset. He definitely needs to look for his shot more, and I think he needs to do so earlier in the game. I realize he comes off the bench and that's part of it, but feel like he's more apt to look for his shot in crunch time as opposed to throughout the game.

Grady would have continued to be effective, but that injury got him and he needed a full off season to rehab it.

I know I'm on an island with my criticism of offense, but something just hasn't looked right in several weeks. Maybe it's just rebounding our misses to allow wings and guards to get open for a kick out, idk

Have we run any floppy action for Reed at all this year? We used to run that all the time for guys like Tyler Herro and Kellen Grady.
It caused Herro to pee down his leg in the tournament, and Grady stood for so long in the corners he left his feet lost their soul.

Grady would have continued to be effective, but that injury got him and he needed a full off season to rehab it.

I know I'm on an island with my criticism of offense, but something just hasn't looked right in several weeks. Maybe it's just rebounding our misses to allow wings and guards to get open for a kick out, idk
All good! I think the competition is better too. SEC is tough and physical. This team isn't going to be a defensive juggernaut. I think we all think they can improve and get a few more stops per game. At the same token, wouldn't people rather have a team that can outscore teams instead of the ole rock fights we'd have to play because of offensive deficiencies?

The great shooting percentage doesn’t help the team if he keeps passing up WIDE open shots. He needs to be shooting 5-7 threes every game. Not only will he score a bunch but it will open things up even more for everyone else.
THIS! Man, he passes up a shit load of open shots! It’s absolutely maddening!

So we stick reed in the corner and start the offense on the opposite side of him cal hof coaching
I continue to wonder if I watch the same Kentucky basketball games as y’all because saying Reed is stuck in the corner simply isn’t true.

Most of his minutes are played at the point, I guess he plays point stuck in the corner.

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
It does feel like Reed leaves a lot of shots on the floor. Pretty sure he could take 3-4 more shots per, and it wouldn't come close to feeling forced or self-centered.

He needs to realize the value of the threat of him shooting isn't just that it might go in. But that it opens a lot for the overall offense.

Reactions: TFCats11
The whole thing is maddening
Sheppard should be starting he’s our best overall player by a lot
He’s got parents also as Cal used to say
He’s 4th in minutes overall (nuts)
Takes the 6th least shots (double nuts)
Leads in FG%
Leads in 3pt %
2nd in free throw%
Leads in assists
Leads in steals (doubles everyone)

It wears out their legs running side to side trying to get open. To me, it’s better to run plays to the middle either by driving it or pass in to the foul line and then getting a kick out to the wing or corner for an open three.

It wears out their legs running side to side trying to get open. To me, it’s better to run plays to the middle either by driving it or pass in to the foul line and then getting a kick out to the wing or corner for an open three.
I don’t think it would hurt to run it occasionally. It’s a play I’ve seen us use several different seasons with different players. Lots of teams run it actually. This sounds like a weird justification.

Reactions: westerncat
Reed should just start shooting from the logo and see if it goes in, a la Tayshawn vs. UNC.

THIS! Man, he passes up a shit load of open shots! It’s absolutely maddening!
I am not disagreeing but will say he seems to do so in an effort to make the “extra pass” to keep everyone involved in the offense. It is a delicate balance but it seems he leans more to making the extra pass as opposed to shooting when he has an open shot. I think leaning that way has led to his off the charts shooting % in that he is not shot hunting but letting the shots come to him off ball movement

I am not disagreeing but will say he seems to do so in an effort to make the “extra pass” to keep everyone involved in the offense. It is a delicate balance but it seems he leans more to making the extra pass as opposed to shooting when he has an open shoot. I think leaning that way has led to his off the charts shooting % in that he is not shot hunting but letting the shots come to him off ball movement
I definitely agree. Just, somehow, he’s gotta get more high percentage shots up.

These dudes either don’t know basketball or just want to hate on the team. I’m still not sure what game y’all are even watching.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
The freshman guard currently leads the nation in true shooting percentage at 74.6% and 3-point shooting at 54.1%. He’s on pace to beat Doron Lamb’s all-time Kentucky career shooting record of 47.5% by nearly seven percentage points.
Yet he only takes 4-5 shots per game while everyone else is firing 15 per up. He needs to stop playing so unselfish. There's a point where it hurts us with him clearly being our best shooter. Of course last game I saw DJ clearly pass up a wide open Shep for a tougher pass that ended badly.

Wait now, you just said our offense flowed better with Grady and Ty? Is this real life?????? You have got to be kidding. This team can score going to the water cooler, I’ve give, some of you are just unbelievable.

Reactions: UKSouthpaw
The whole thing is maddening
Sheppard should be starting he’s our best overall player by a lot
He’s got parents also as Cal used to say
He’s 4th in minutes overall (nuts)
Takes the 6th least shots (double nuts)
Leads in FG%
Leads in 3pt %
2nd in free throw%
Leads in assists
Leads in steals (doubles everyone)
Sheppard should???? That’s revolutionary not heard that at least 18000 times before wow. You are really on those stats, none of us knew. Thought Kaleena Azubuike was the teams best shooter and should be starting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT