ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky is only 106th in the Country in 3-point Attempts

KA4Prez

All-American
Dec 8, 2003
Columbus, OH
Shoot MORE of them!

Kentucky leads the nation in 3-point percentage at 41.0%.

Use Z in the pick and roll to create open looks. Legit, it can't be defended and if you just take enough open looks, you will produce 40 points a game just with threes.

Kind of keeps them from living and dying by the 3. Hopefully 2010 wvu doesn’t happen to this team come March.

Reactions: ukcatz12
Shoot MORE of them!

Use Z in the pick and roll to create open looks. Legit, it can't be defended and if you just take enough open looks, you will produce 40 points a game just with threes.
Agree. We currently have 3 guards shooting 44.9% or better from 3. I can’t imagine there is very many, if any, in college basketball that can say that with any 3 players with 50+ attempts.

We have 2 other players players in the regular rotation shooting it at 35%+. Add in Mitchell’s 33.3% and that’s 6 players shooting at or above the benchmark for effective 3 point shooting.

And none of the above includes Z’s 60% since he has a small sample size but his ability to shoot the 3 at a high percentage is evident.

The point is that the strength of this team is shooting it from 3. I don’t think we shoot 40 a game but I think shooting 25ish every game gives us the best chance to win, especially if Reeves, Shep and Dilly are shooting most of them.

We’re shooting around 24 a game. I think we could tick that up just a bit, but it’s basically working now.

Reactions: G-PIP
Shoot MORE of them!

You don’t want to be too dependent on any one way of scoring, especially the lowest % way, because of across game variability. Over the course of a season what you propose can be good. But in a one-and-done tournament you need scoring options, so can go with what’s working for that game. Not to mention if you shoot to many of them then teams will guard them all more closely lowering your %.

Within individual players, I don’t see Reed looking for his shot enough. I don’t think Rob could ever be accused of that. And Reeves has created a good mix, that floater is maybe the best I’ve ever seen at college level, and can only get him more open unforced 3 looks. No one else I want shooting them unless WIDE OPEN until after have hit 1 (or 2).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT