ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Sheppard is the best player on this team

b45f129a492e799393c1cc8be6061f40

Three games against unstructured teams and so far so good. I like what he brings. I'm expecting about six points, three assists, and a steal per game off the bench. In year two he's going to give us about 12 points per game to go with four or five assists and two steals. He's a very good player. If we get a third year out of this kid he might be an All American.

Kid will be playing 25min plus a game. 6 ppg will be way under. I'd put him at 10-12.

I love what I've seen of Reed Sheppard so far but it's probably a stretch to say he's the best player on the team. Here's what I'll say- he is way beyond what I expected based on recruiting rankings and expert evaluations. He made some bad plays in that championship game, though, especially in the first half. He looked a bit shaky in fact.

But Reeves doesn't have to be the best player on the team for the team to be a success. There were multiple guys who played well- Reeves, Edwards, Mitchell, Wagner, Sheppard, and Thiero all had some good games. We don't win those 4 games without ALL those guys. They all stepped up in key moments for the team and they shared the ball very well, averaging almost 26 assists per game.

But just trying to point out ONE guy as "the best player" at the expense of the other guys isn't helpful. It creates a rivalry that isn't needed. It's like me picking a favorite child from my 5 kids. It's not helpful.

Statistically, the statement is just flat-out false, by the way. He was first in assists per game. He was 5th in scoring. He was 4th in 3pt percentage. He was 5th in rebounding. He was 2nd in blocks (still very impressive for a guard). He was 3rd in FT%. So, overall, he was only the best in assists.
I believe the guards name was Carr, tht is an excellent defender, he gave trouble to Reed, Wagner, and others. He was easily noticed, he had steals, a couple of breakaway dunks on a steal and loose ball, etc.
I think his defense role, was to focus on Reed especially when Reed was in the game.

PS…I am a Reed fan…he is much more than I expected toward a multidimensional player…more than a shooter…..he possesses excellent passing skills, sees the floor, and what is about to happen, he can get to the rim, not just a flat footed shooter, he can rebound, has great hands as demonstrated by his steals and deflections. He will be important to our success.

PS…I am a Reed fan…he is much more than I expected toward a multidimensional player…more than a shooter…..he possesses excellent passing skills, sees the floor, and what is about to happen, he can get to the rim, not just a flat footed shooter, he can rebound, has great hands as demonstrated by his steals and deflections. He will be important to our success.
I completely agree. He has far exceeded what I expected. I just don't think we can definitively say he's the best player on the team. And truly, that's no intended insult to Sheppard. After all, there are 3 other top 10 recruits on the squad. And I wouldn't say it's an open and shut case for any of the other 3. He showed us a lot in Canada.

As you just said, he sees the floor well, he clearly understands the game and where the ball needs to go. He also demonstrated a great understanding of passing angles, placing an absolutely perfect pass multiple times. He's clearly a good shooter. He shot poorly in game 1 but he shot better in subsequent games. I was also impressed with his hands and his strength, as he grabbed rebounds and steals away from other players several times. I love this guy!

Must have meant best bench player.
He's not as good as Reeves or Wagner. Those guys will be up for All-SEC.
He's not better than Edward's because that dude is a star. Possible All -American. Tre Mitchell is a really good 4 man. Inside out stretch 4 who played out of position most of the tournament. And no, he's not gonna be better than Bradshaw. With all that being said..Reed is so good. Can play the 1 or 2. Great assist guy and open shooter. I also think he's got that Tyler Ulis defense. Deflects and steals balls, gets in passing lanes etc.

Must have meant best bench player.
He's not as good as Reeves or Wagner. Those guys will be up for All-SEC.
He's not better than Edward's because that dude is a star. Possible All -American. Tre Mitchell is a really good 4 man. Inside out stretch 4 who played out of position most of the tournament. And no, he's not gonna be better than Bradshaw. With all that being said..Reed is so good. Can play the 1 or 2. Great assist guy and open shooter. I also think he's got that Tyler Ulis defense. Deflects and steals balls, gets in passing lanes etc.
I honestly think Reed is our best gaurd. I think you could make a case right now that Reeves is better but he has had 4 years to develop in college and has refined his high level offensive game. I highly doubt Reed wouldn't be in the pros by his 4th year.

The eye test tells me that Reed is better than Dj but people put more stock into how Dj was ranked higher by the recruting rating. This isn't to say that dj isn't a great guard in his own right because he truly is but I don't think people truly understand what we have with Reed Sheppard. This is a special basketball player with a very very lethal combination of skill, timing, and athletiscm. It seems to me like the guy emmulated everything Tyler Ulis did because he plays a lot like him. The only difference is Reed is quite a bit bigger of a guy.

I will go ahead and state that I fully expect Sheppards per 40 min numbers and plus/minus numbers will be amongst the highest on the team. I only post this to give my opinion and I totally understand anyone who doesn't see it this way so I don't mean to sound argumentative or divisive but the kid is just that good. I want to make my stand in saying that.

I honestly think Reed is our best gaurd. I think you could make a case right now that Reeves is better but he has had 4 years to develop in college and has refined his high level offensive game. I highly doubt Reed wouldn't be in the pros by his 4th year.

The eye test tells me that Reed is better than Dj but people put more stock into how Dj was ranked higher by the recruting rating. This isn't to say that dj isn't a great guard in his own right because he truly is but I don't think people truly understand what we have with Reed Sheppard. This is a special basketball player with a very very lethal combination of skill, timing, and athletiscm. It seems to me like the guy emmulated everything Tyler Ulis did because he plays a lot like him. The only difference is Reed is quite a bit bigger of a guy.

I will go ahead and state that I fully expect Sheppards per 40 min numbers and plus/minus numbers will be amongst the highest on the team. I only post this to give my opinion and I totally understand anyone who doesn't see it this way so I don't mean to sound argumentative or divisive but the kid is just that good. I want to make my stand in saying that.
Thats fair. We'll know a lot by February. I'll stand by my post that he is by far the third best guard.

Scorer
Assister
Defender
3 point shooter
FT shooter
Taking it to the rack
High BB IQ
Very athletic with crazy hops

He is the lowest rated of the Fab Five but in my opinion is the best all around player, not only of the Freshman, but of the entire team.

Nice job by all the biased bs rating services rating Reed #25 when he should have been #5.

:flush:

He is King Reed!!!
Hard to not agree with your statement so far. Time will tell. This appears to be a talent laden team.

I actually think Reed and the team looked the best with him playing the point. Reed did lead the team in assists for the 4 games. I know most on here think DJ should be playing the point but I could see Reed at pg and DJ at shooting guard although I'm not totally sold on Reed's ability to protect the ball against elite guards but time will tell.

Last edited:
OP is trolling all of our fans. Edwards and Wagner are both lottery picks. Reeves is a dynamic scorer. Bradshaw is a first round pick. Sheppard might be our smartest player but he's not our best player.

Reeves 3 point shooting is a big weapon for us and we need it but why do so many of you all see him as only a 3 point shooter when he has shown he can get baskets from anywhere?! He isn't as much a liability on defense as many of you all maks him out to be either. He is a pro level scorer and should start.
It's funny everytime someone says it lol. Hes the most important offensive guy..... DJ is going to be the best player. He's strong with the ball and got that fire 🔥.
Reed is great, if you watched AAU on ESPN it was easy to see . Early on I was unsure if he would turn out so good,but the kid is unreal. That's why you don't start him over Reeves or the other 2. He will be back next year and I really don't think it matters to him

I actually think Reed and the team looked the best with him playing the point. Reed did lead the team in assists for the 4 games. I know most on here think DJ should be playing the point but I could see Reed at pg and DJ at shooting guard although I'm not totally sold on Reed's ability to protect the ball against elite guards but time will tell.
Only thing I would differ is I am sold on his ball handling even against top perimeter defenders but we shall see. I could be wrong as well. I really thought Dj was more than happy to let Reed bring it up the court.

I've said this before. Sheppard is the quickest of the guards at getting the team into its offense. That doesn't necessarily translate to assists. He was also the most adept at getting the team to make the simple play. I expect Wagner and Dillingham probably to quit yo-yoing the ball so much, but all a PG monopolizing the ball means that the offense's options shrink. Often resulting in a PG scoop shot. So familiar in song and story the last few years.

Reactions: rob_47
Reed is really good but Kentucky needs Wagner and Edwards to be our best player
Why? Just asking. Why does KY need Wagner and Edwards to be our best player? Why can't Reed be our best player and Wagner and Edwards right behind him? Thanks in advance for your answer.

Reactions: UKAlum88
Why? Just asking. Why does KY need Wagner and Edwards to be our best player? Why can't Reed be our best player and Wagner and Edwards right behind him? Thanks in advance for your answer.
Because their McDonald’s all Americans and have NBa lottery potential. Reed is going to be a great college player, maybe make the nba. Wagner & Edwards have the elite of the elite potential

Because their McDonald’s all Americans and have NBa lottery potential. Reed is going to be a great college player, maybe make the nba. Wagner & Edwards have the elite of the elite potential
Wagner impressed me in the last 6 minutes or so but he needed to because he had played poorly up until that point.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
I would agree with best basketball IQ currently. I love Reed but he is 6'3" with a little above average athleticism. Wagner, Dillingham, Edwards, and most likely Bradshaw (haven't seen him) have such a genetic advantage with speed and athleticism they will be the best players if learn what works and what doesn't and cut out the mistakes. Don't get me wrong I agree Reed is very, very good and is a key piece of this team.

He's the type player that potentially could be really good but still stay a few years just because the NBA won't value him as much because of his ceiling. The NBA loves potential upside/ceiling

I would agree with best basketball IQ currently. I love Reed but he is 6'3" with a little above average athleticism. Wagner, Dillingham, Edwards, and most likely Bradshaw (haven't seen him) have such a genetic advantage with speed and athleticism they will be the best players if learn what works and what doesn't and cut out the mistakes. Don't get me wrong I agree Reed is very, very good and is a key piece of this team.

He's the type player that potentially could be really good but still stay a few years just because the NBA won't value him as much because of his ceiling. The NBA loves potential upside/ceiling
Do you think Wagner is a better athlete than Reed? If he is it is very slight. One thing Wagner is a badass at is going and finishing left, that was what made Maxey elite as well.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Reed isn't the best player on the team, but he was born to wear the blue and white. He plays smart basketball and rarely hurts you when he is on the floor. We've been missing glue guys who can just get after it. We are lucky to have him on the team coming off the bench.

Scorer
Assister
Defender
3 point shooter
FT shooter
Taking it to the rack
High BB IQ
Very athletic with crazy hops

He is the lowest rated of the Fab Five but in my opinion is the best all around player, not only of the Freshman, but of the entire team.

Nice job by all the biased bs rating services rating Reed #25 when he should have been #5.

:flush:

He is King Reed!!!
Chill dude! I Love RS, but good grief.

Reed has just as much potential (if not more) than a guy like Tyler Herro and we see how succesful he has been in the nba. It would be easier for Reed to score 20 than it would be for Dj and thats supposedly where Wagner has the advantage. Me saying this isn't an attempt tp down Wagner but it is clear who the better overall player is. Dj plays hard and does so many good things but the game is easy for Shep. He is an orchestrater and all around playmaker. He is more effecient in every facet of the game than any gaurd on our team.

The impressive part is he is able to get his within the flow of the offense and is first looking to set his teammates up but don't be fooled he can bang a jumper in at any point. I don't even fully agree that Dj is more athletic than he is. Being an athlete is more than just your top end speed and your jumping ability.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT