ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Sheppard a OAD?

Right now, in the way too early mock draft, Reed falls outside the second round. Dillingham, Wagner and Bradshaw are
first round with none of them high enough to be in the lottery. Big Z and Onyenso are also in the second round. The season is early and things have a way of changing. Reed may definitely move up.

Let's don't get crazy Stockton is a hall of famer and one of the highest assist players of all time, I love Reed too but be realistic
He could be Calipari's best recruit in terms of the legacy within the state of Kentucky and the deepest of blue Kentucky fans. He gracefully bridges two significant eras of Kentucky basketball.

I'm impressed by Reed. He's very poised and has underrated athleticism. and smart.

Regarding my comparison to John Stockton, he was never an all-American at Gonzaga but was conference POY in a mid-major conference.

Stockton in Jerry Sloan's system with Karl Malone getting many of those assists got him to the HOF despite not having overwhelming, Derrick Rose, John Wall athleticism.

Looking at Stockton's college stats, he was a very efficient shooter. Adept at stealing the ball. Poised......sorta like Reed's game (very early I concede) but that's clearly Reed's playing style which is very different to Dillingham's and Wagner's styles.

HOF? I didn't say that. Reed will be a very good 2-3 year All-SEC caliber guard for UK. I think NBA scouts will first want to see Reed lead and succeed as the full-time PG starter at UK. That clearly won't happen with Wagner on the roster. Likely happens next season with Fland being the backup or the running-mate.

Reactions: UKhoopCat
I thought Herro wasn't ready after one year as well. Turns out that was wrong. However, I hope Reed is in no rush. Yes, make a lot of money but to me the NBA is boring city. So, given he is not in financial challenges why rush to jump to full time tedious work versus fun.

Reactions: KFuqua and crestcat
Just took another look at the Mock Draft. Now players are listed as follows, Edwards #15, Bradshaw #16 Wagner #25, Dillingham #34, Z# 58, Onyenso #71, Reeves # 73. No mention of Sheppard. I really never pay attention to mock drafts but with so many of our guys possibly involved, I thought I would do so.
It has changed very much since my first visit. I do believe Sheppard moves up over the course of the season and that Bradshaw must play and play well to keep his position. For some of you that swear he will never play, imo he must , or miss the first round. Again jmo.

Reactions: westerncat
Jeff only played one year in the NBA and it wouldn’t surprise me if Reed graduates from UK before leaving for the league, whether that is 3 or 4 years.

I would bet if you asked Jeff he would say his favorite time playing ball was in college..

At UK, Reed is the talk of the state…in the NBA he’s just another pro and with NIL money, he’ll be a wealthy man either way.

Just took another look at the Mock Draft. Now players are listed as follows, Edwards #15, Bradshaw #16 Wagner #25, Dillingham #34, Z# 58, Onyenso #71, Reeves # 73. No mention of Sheppard. I really never pay attention to mock drafts but with so many of our guys possibly involved, I thought I would do so.
It has changed very much since my first visit. I do believe Sheppard moves up over the course of the season and that Bradshaw must play and play well to keep his position. For some of you that swear he will never play, imo he must , or miss the first round. Again jmo.
In general, you shouldn’t go unless:
- you are a projected lottery lock
- or you are a projected 1st round lock and your family needs more $ than NIL can net you
- or you have basically hit your ceiling and staying one more year may lessen your projected value (see Ulis and Grayson Allen)
- or you absolutely hate school

I doubt Reed falls into any of those after this season

Reactions: KT34
No, he’s not. He won’t leave the millions in nil money on the table for a late first round pick. He can go lotto next year or year after

Last edited:
I think the thing that may separate him from others is he doesn't have a bunch of hangers on and agents around him pushing him to go before he is ready.
The hangers ons are just waiting for their payday

Last edited:
If he continues to play near the level he has been playing at then there is about a 10% chance he returns. I am giving it a 10% because of his ties to UK and the fact he may not want it to end. Just looking at his performance and taking no other factors into consideration, he is 100% gone.

Two years for certain (minimum)
I would bet heavy on it.

1- $$ NIL
2- Class of 2024 gives Reed shot to be AA and (dream) 2 time Champ
3- His folks are not in a hurry for him to grow up

Reactions: Wildcats1st
The draft projections are almost worthless right now; I'd project him as a late 1st round pick but NIL might compete very well with late 1st round money. I'm going to say something right now that will likely have a lot of folks calling me an idiot so I'm going to clarify that Reed isn't at this time as good as this player in any area...but he is starting to remind me of John Stockton(who was also not nearly as good as the Stockton we know as a freshman in college).

He's not a OAD, unless he wants to be a high 2nd round pick.

I laugh at this stuff. Sheppard is 6'2"ish and won't play off the ball in the NBA. He needs to be an elite point guard.

Will a team draft and stash him? Maybe, but not unless it's in the 40-60 range of the draft.

He has a chance to turn into a potential top 20 pick if he can dominate as a sophomore by being our main point guard and being an elite one at that.

I laugh at this stuff. Sheppard is 6'2"ish and won't play off the ball in the NBA. He needs to be an elite point guard.

Will a team draft and stash him? Maybe, but not unless it's in the 40-60 range of the draft.

He has a chance to turn into a potential top 20 pick if he can dominate as a sophomore by being our main point guard and being an elite one at that.
100% Agree. He’s a really good player, but NBA is a completely different conversation.

Cal will absolutely push if it means getting a 5* player in here. Cal has never liked playing guys from Kentucky, either. He thinks of it as relinquishing control of his roster to people that he thinks he's above.

Idiotic post.

Reactions: University-6

Most players would jump at that high second round pick. Reed will make exponentially more money in nil than as a high second. He ll also increase his stock in the process like you say.

Cal will absolutely push if it means getting a 5* player in here. Cal has never liked playing guys from Kentucky, either. He thinks of it as relinquishing control of his roster to people that he thinks he's above.
A lot of people have said a lot of dumb shit on here over the years. But that was the dumbest shit anyone has ever said on here. Congratulations

Sure looks like it tonight!!! He's the best player on the floor!!

He does it all!!!

Sure looked like it last nite. He has a great feel for when to shoot and when not to. Very few college kids have THAT

Just my .02 as an outside observer

Said he could be a 1st rounder a week or two ago.

Guys, he could sneak into lottery. You can't teach what he has. The only think capping him now is just the lack of NBA athleticism and that will be the only thing that holds him up.

But the NBA is favoring actual basketball PLAYERS instead of athletes in today's game. The NBA is finding less use for a guy like Zach Lavine, despite being a physical specimen. Athletes don't always make the team better, but Reed sure does.

Leads the nation in plus/minus.. as a freshman.. in november.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT