ADVERTISEMENT

Reed Sheppard a OAD?

Both parents seem levelheaded and value an education, he can make more here than he could if he left, and it didn't work out. Jeff knows how hard it is to just get to the NBA, much less stay there for any length of time. I really think mom and dad want him to enjoy the college experience and are in no hurry for him to enter the dog-eat-dog world of the NBA. If he keeps getting better, I'm sure he will have his chance, but money doesn't rule everybody's life. there have been a lot of mistakes made with bad decisions for a little money now or a lot later.

Both parents seem levelheaded and value an education, he can make more here than he could if he left, and it didn't work out. Jeff knows how hard it is to just get to the NBA, much less stay there for any length of time. I really think mom and dad want him to enjoy the college experience and are in no hurry for him to enter the dog-eat-dog world of the NBA. If he keeps getting better, I'm sure he will have his chance, but money doesn't rule everybody's life. there have been a lot of mistakes made with bad decisions for a little money now or a lot later.
Right now....Reed Sheppard doesn't exhibit a skill set flaw or even a decision making flaw. And there are other current less athletic big money NBA players than Reed like Fred VanVleet and Jalen Brunson who are both more crafty, street ball type of players than highly skilled players.

So if Reed continues to play like he's playing (hard to believe he'll continue shooting 65% overall and get 3 steels a game coming off the bench!) and is able to get a break away 2 handed dunk to show athleticism, he very well could be gone after this year. Jeff would say...."GO now!"....if he's given a 1st round grade. Calipari would force him to leave as well. You just can't leave a 3 year multi-million contract on the table if it presented itself.

how much NIL does he get now?

Draft picks 11-30 are guaranteed $2-$4 million/year for at least 2 seasons. That's still a lot of money.

It wouldn't be a bad decision for Reed to leave after 1 season if given a 1st round draft grade and some team promises to take him. and him playing well against good competition as a freshman means his potential as he gets more experience is high versus staying too long and the NBA starts to nitpick his game.

Reactions: dl51344
Or stay 4 years and be the most popular player to ever where the blue and white.

I bet there could be some benefits to that.
I agree with this. Money etc in the NBA Is temporary. Being beloved by an entire state is forever. Could even become governor one day. Nobody’s special in the NBA.

HeelVol, each individual is different and has different visions and aspirations, some may look at it that way, but not all, unless you are a relative or good friend of the family, I respectfully disagree with you on this particular player. He could end up being like Marquess Teague, Doron Lamb, Chris Lofton and a lot of other outstanding college players to and be out of the league in a couple of years. I could be wrong but going for the money when you are not ready is a mistake more often than not.

HeelVol, each individual is different and has different visions and aspirations, some may look at it that way, but not all, unless you are a relative or good friend of the family, I respectfully disagree with you on this particular player. He could end up being like Marquess Teague, Doron Lamb, Chris Lofton and a lot of other outstanding college players to and be out of the league in a couple of years. I could be wrong but going for the money when you are not ready is a mistake more often than not.
I can see what you're saying but how does anyone know if Reed if ready or not? Only Reed would know if he's confident enough or not. If Reed is doing well in practice versus Wagner and Dillingham would probably be the best indicator for Reed.

and oh by the way, Reed did very well versus high level athletes in the Kansas and Miami games. Isn't that validation, too? It's early of course. UNC vs UK will be another good barometer as will be games versus Arkansas, Tennessee, Missouri and etc.

If Reed goes through the draft process, as he should, and gets feedback from the NBA scouts that his game translates, wouldn't that be validation that he should go? The league always wants shooting and I personally believe Reed is a good enough athlete. He needs more strength and explosiveness but he can improve those areas.

Teague, Lamb...arguably could've left too early but how could they improve any more? Lots of people say that you improve more by leaving than by staying. There are trainers and nutritionists and no academic requirements. 100% of the time is available to improve your craft even in the g-league. Teague and Lamb simply weren't good enough like a Derrick Rose or Wall. to stay in the NBA for lucrative 10+ year careers. Lofton was never quick enough just like Jimmer Fredette.

since you mention it...Doron Lamb vs Reed: Reed is outpacing Doron even as a soph (admit its still early but...) . Reed in fewer minutes is averaging 3 rb, 3 assist, 3 steals and really good shooting (shows great decision making when to shoot and not being a volume shooter). and Lamb was picked.

Reed could be a 4 year legend at UK. I'm impressed by him. His dad saw real NBA talent among his teammates and he was a good athlete from what I remember but not on the level of Rex Chapman. A good college player with decent athleticism but not an NBA quality PG/SG. He wasn't drafted was he?

But if the NBA says Reed likely would be drafted in the 1st round, don't you think Dad would tell son to bet on himself, given if he receives that feedback?

Last edited:
I think some of you are setting yourself up for disappointment. He’s not staying here 3-4 years. If he keeps playing like this we MIGHT get him for two. He’s not going to turn down the nba for an education man lol.

Reactions: Cats192
Something tells me that he's back for his sophomore year. I think there's more to that decision for him than just money. IDK, but it's just a feeling. Life's a risk in everything you do and the very best in life isn't about money. Maybe it's just me hoping to have him for more than just one year. Reed is the perfect example of why college basketball is so special ... so much more so than the NBA.

Reactions: UKortho
NBA would chew him up and spit him out. Physically not ready. But that's never stopped someone from going early.

Reactions: UKortho
100% up to NIL and what he wants to do at this point. Yep of my former college teammate cover NBA teams and one is a scout for the jazz. I brought up the convo two weeks ago and at that point, none of them had seen him play (the scout covers the acc, north east college area).

Before the Miami game, they finally got a chance to check his profile, height was the first thing they mentioned as far as his NBA chances (still hadn’t watched him play). Two games later, I asked if he could possibly leave after next season, every last one of them said he could leave this year and go right outside the lotto. A few he’s squarely on a couple teams radar with the consensus being he’s a mixture of JJ Reddick and Avery Bradley.

He did him self a very huge favor by playing so well against Wooga according to the scout because Wooga had prototypical NBA height (6’6) length (6’10 WS) and athleticism (39inch). And Reed scored on him on the ball, especially off the ball, and off the dribble (pull up) His defense makes teams over look his height because at 19 he’s ELITE on that end. Scour said if he shows he can run the point then he’s a lock to make it in the lotto

Another thing mentioned, people don’t resize just how weak this draft is, it’s the opposite of last years

Something tells me that he's back for his sophomore year. I think there's more to that decision for him than just money. IDK, but it's just a feeling. Life's a risk in everything you do and the very best in life isn't about money. Maybe it's just me hoping to have him for more than just one year. Reed is the perfect example of why college basketball is so special ... so much more so than the NBA.
I'd guess the coal money NIL package will make him a two and done but in todays world you never know.

Reactions: Bluesbrother
100% up to NIL and what he wants to do at this point. Yep of my former college teammate cover NBA teams and one is a scout for the jazz. I brought up the convo two weeks ago and at that point, none of them had seen him play (the scout covers the acc, north east college area).

Before the Miami game, they finally got a chance to check his profile, height was the first thing they mentioned as far as his NBA chances (still hadn’t watched him play). Two games later, I asked if he could possibly leave after next season, every last one of them said he could leave this year and go right outside the lotto. A few he’s squarely on a couple teams radar with the consensus being he’s a mixture of JJ Reddick and Avery Bradley.

He did him self a very huge favor by playing so well against Wooga according to the scout because Wooga had prototypical NBA height (6’6) length (6’10 WS) and athleticism (39inch). And Reed scored on him on the ball, especially off the ball, and off the dribble (pull up) His defense makes teams over look his height because at 19 he’s ELITE on that end. Scour said if he shows he can run the point then he’s a lock to make it in the lotto

Another thing mentioned, people don’t resize just how weak this draft is, it’s the opposite of last years
I think this is on the money. The NBA people I've talked to say exactly that. He's deceptive on defense. He's not great at just standing up his man but his anticipation and hand and foot speed are incredible. If he gets beat he recovers. He's Birdlike in that he's far more athletic than he appears.

With no NIL in play he's definitely a one and done. But I think NIL will keep him here. At least 2 seasons. Hopefully more.

Reactions: Bluesbrother
One would have to believe that a NIL package for Sheppard would be impressive which would allow him that benefit financially while playing college and continuing to improve his draft status year over year. Either way, he should do well. I don't think the OAD stigma will affect Reed like it does some of the other high-profile players that play here, thinking that if they don't go after one year that they're somehow tainted. He sets the table and makes everyone on the team better. I hope he's having the time of his life.

Lottery pick.
“This is the eye-opener of the board,” Vecenie wrote. “Sheppard has, in my opinion, clearly been the best freshman in college basketball thus far. In terms of deriving value for his team, I don’t think it’s all that close. So it was hard to rank him much lower than this.”

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Saw on Facebook, some publication just put him 6th!

That's a little high, and I think this loss to UNCW maybe caused us to pump the breaks a little bit.

But he's gonna be in that fringe lottery mix.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT