ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

OT I guess but I've found a new favorite player! While viewing rosters from the Dominican League, of which 5 Reds are listed including EDLC, Cerda and Aquino, I came across the name of a 38 y/o RHP that I found intriguing.....6'4" 310 pound Jumbo Diaz! My hero!!
The Nasty Boys don't have a damn thing on Jumbo & JJ Hoover. Talk about a shutdown bullpen with those 2...As good as they come!

The Nasty Boys don't have a damn thing on Jumbo & JJ Hoover. Talk about a shutdown bullpen with those 2...As good as they come!
Remember when Dibble/Pinella got in a fight in Pinella's office??🤣 Those 2 took nothing from nobody.

Saw Dibble pitch in minor league ball toward the end of his career. He had lost his velocity by then but still had a decent slider.

Remember when Dibble/Pinella got in a fight in Pinella's office??🤣 Those 2 took nothing from nobody.

Saw Dibble pitch in minor league ball toward the end of his career. He had lost his velocity by then but still had a decent slider.
Haha will never forget those 2 butting heads on the day Bip Roberts got traded to Cincinnati I believe. He was like, what the hell have I got myself into? It's ashamed injuries slowed their careers down at the end because they were fun to watch. Hit base runners in the back, sling the ball over the OF wall. They had an edge about them, something I wish this team had.

Reactions: mrschwump

Reds propaganda machine, guess they've grown accustom to guys who hit .200. If these guys are prospects instead of suspects they need to step up their game.

Reactions: KYExtemper
Reds propaganda machine, guess they've grown accustom to guys who hit .200. If these guys are prospects instead of suspects they need to step up their game.
At some point the elephant in the room has to be addressed by this FO. It seems as though they are seeking a pat on the back for shifting Marte to 3rd. If they are dead set on Marte being a 3B going forward, whatever. Eventually someone will have to move off the left side of the IF or traded to make room. Marte, Arroyo, ELDC, McLain all will get their chances at the MLB Level, that's not a question but how they are going to manage to play all of them with this approach is a mystery to me. It's one thing to be able to stick at the MLB level. Considering the Reds took Collier & Stewart as well in the 1st Round this year and anyone else who might push their way into the equation. Sure, some of those could be another Senzel but that's the last thing the Reds need is another flame out. Not saying any one of them are going to be busts this early and the potential is there for them to be stars for 10+ years.

Position versatility is quite common at the MLB level in today's game and no excuse for the Reds to not be doing more of this in the farm system instead of failed position players into pitchers. It doesn't mean a player has to stop being an infielder if you see how Trevor Story & Jeff McNeil are used. Hoping they do this more than just with Rece Hinds. I hate when people stick their head in the sand and when you could getting ahead of the curb. If the Reds are forced to trade off guys like India or any of these prospects to accommodate the logjam, perhaps take a more balanced strategy of filling other needs like the outfield. An area that desperately needs to be addressed.

Last edited:
At some point the elephant in the room has to be addressed by this FO. It seems as though they are seeking a pat on the back for shifting Marte to 3rd. If they are dead set on Marte being a 3B going forward, whatever. Eventually someone will have to move off the left side of the IF or traded to make room. Marte, Arroyo, ELDC, McLain all will get their chances at the MLB Level, that's not a question but how they are going to manage to play all of them with this approach is a mystery to me. It's one thing to be able to stick at the MLB level. Considering the Reds took Collier & Stewart as well in the 1st Round this year and anyone else who might push their way into the equation. Sure, some of those could be another Senzel but that's the last thing the Reds need is another flame out. Not saying any one of them are going to be busts this early and the potential is there for them to be stars for 10+ years.

Position versatility is quite common at the MLB level in today's game and no excuse for the Reds to not be doing more of this in the farm system instead of failed position players into pitchers. It doesn't mean a player has to stop being an infielder if you see how Trevor Story & Jeff McNeil are used. Hoping they do this more than just with Rece Hinds. I hate when people stick their head in the sand and when you could getting ahead of the curb. If the Reds are forced to trade off guys like India or any of these prospects to accommodate the logjam, perhaps take a more balanced strategy of filling other needs like the outfield. An area that desperately needs to be addressed.
Became super depressed after reading the Reds blog thingy on Cincy's proposed lineup for '23. TS at C of course but then.....Votto at 1B, India at 2B, McClain at SS, Farmer at 3B. And then the OF....Fairchild, Freidl, Fraley. UGH!!! Fraley I'd take as the 4th.5th OF but the other two, no way! The Reds OF has to be rebuilt top to bottom. Think they had Speer as the DH. But after reading that it dawned on me that '23 will be a replay of '22 and I might as well accept that now, for as long as the Reds have the current ownership and Krall as GM the future is bleak. With this current group "leading the way" there's virtually no chance of draft and develop.

Became super depressed after reading the Reds blog thingy on Cincy's proposed lineup for '23. TS at C of course but then.....Votto at 1B, India at 2B, McClain at SS, Farmer at 3B. And then the OF....Fairchild, Freidl, Fraley. UGH!!! Fraley I'd take as the 4th.5th OF but the other two, no way! The Reds OF has to be rebuilt top to bottom. Think they had Speer as the DH. But after reading that it dawned on me that '23 will be a replay of '22 and I might as well accept that now, for as long as the Reds have the current ownership and Krall as GM the future is bleak. With this current group "leading the way" there's virtually no chance of draft and develop.
I'll take going into the season with McLain at SS. He needs to show he can hit the ball more consistently but at the moment, that wouldn't make him any different than anyone on the roster. Ready to start with the future and stop fooling around with players like Friedl.

I'll take going into the season with McLain at SS. He needs to show he can hit the ball more consistently but at the moment, that wouldn't make him any different than anyone on the roster. Ready to start with the future and stop fooling around with players like Friedl.
Freidl, who suffers from Senzelitis, a disease that causes OFers to overthrow the cut off man/throw to the wrong base, needs to be a AAA mainstay.

Couldn't find the interview with Krall done a few days ago but if anyone was expecting DLC to open the season with the Reds, we can forget that. They're bound and determined to let him wallow in the minor leagues for god knows how long.

Watching baseball playoffs, I've noticed something called a "home run." Quick way to score runs, don't have to string together 12 singles to get 2 runs the way the Reds do. Neato.

See that the Braves signed their superstar rookie pitcher to a 6 year $75M deal. The Reds with Greene, Lodolo, TS....both thumbs up their ass.
Just a question, but with the injury rates of pitchers these days, especially heat throwers like Greene, would you be treading on dangerous territory to offer a 6 year deal? These days I wouldn't give ANY pitcher more than a three year deal, much less a rookie who hasn't proven themselves to be durable over multiple MLB seasons.

I think they will much like they did with Castillo in his final starts to showcase his durability and throwing as many as 123 pitches in a game. Just hoping they stay healthy enough to flip for the eventual haul in return that the Reds could command if they hit their ceiling. It's possible they might be able to keep 1 (maybe) like they did overpaying Homer but who knows it could wind up being someone like Williamson or Ashcraft by that time only realistic for the Reds spending habits.

Can only hope one of these rounds before the fire sale Cincinnati can get it together for a run like the Royals did in a small window. Lodolo/Greene could make a lethal 1-2 punch to shutdown an offense in October. These days it seems like a team needs a minimum of 3 aces to have a legit shot and Cincinnati is so far off offensively from being relevant it isn't even funny.
The Reds have to play that game, they tried it and gave up a year or two too early. they have to do what teams like the Twins, and Royals have to do. build up for a 2-3 year run at it, then fire sale for another 2-3 year window 4 or 5 years down the road.

Yet a lot of Reds fans who were happy when ES was traded. Now they have guys who can't get the ball out of the infield.
He had 31 homer this year in Seattle and batted .236, but the most telling stat is 196 Strikeouts that led the major leagues.

Just a question, but with the injury rates of pitchers these days, especially heat throwers like Greene, would you be treading on dangerous territory to offer a 6 year deal? These days I wouldn't give ANY pitcher more than a three year deal, much less a rookie who hasn't proven themselves to be durable over multiple MLB seasons.
No, I wouldn't extend a pitcher a 6 year deal but I would TS(didn't make that clear in my original comment). He's the only long term proven prospect they have at the present and they need to lock him down.

He had 31 homer this year in Seattle and batted .236, but the most telling stat is 196 Strikeouts that led the major leagues.
Yeah, I get that but when you play in a band-box park you need to build your team around power, not a bunch of singles hitters.

Dumb question. Could they be showcasing McClain in the AFL in hopes of upping his trade value and move him for a viable MLB ready outfielder?

Dumb question. Could they be showcasing McClain in the AFL in hopes of upping his trade value and move him for a viable MLB ready outfielder?
Maybe that's what they'd like to do but he's playing SS exclusively to this point and isn't hitting a lick, under .200.

The Reds have to play that game, they tried it and gave up a year or two too early. they have to do what teams like the Twins, and Royals have to do. build up for a 2-3 year run at it, then fire sale for another 2-3 year window 4 or 5 years down the road.
Reds are in a world of hurt, '23 will be just as ugly as '22. For instance, they need to totally rebuild their OF but other than Cerda, none of the young guys are playing OF in winter ball. McClain/DLC are playing SS, Marte 3B. Thought we might see younger guys in OF in AFL or Dominican League but not so at least to this point.

Reds are in a world of hurt, '23 will be just as ugly as '22. For instance, they need to totally rebuild their OF but other than Cerda, none of the young guys are playing OF in winter ball. McClain/DLC are playing SS, Marte 3B. Thought we might see younger guys in OF in AFL or Dominican League but not so at least to this point.
Are there any affordable free agent OF's out there the Reds could pick up for a one or two year deal?

Are there any affordable free agent OF's out there the Reds could pick up for a one or two year deal?
Probably but the real question is will this FO pull the trigger? Don't trust them to do so and don't trust their advanced scouting dept to find guys even tho they fired some scouts at season's end.

Agree they gave up early. Had the Reds spent their money wisely on contract extensions for worthy players instead of Homer over Cueto, the ridiculous Mike Moustakas contract they made have had a real shot at contending.
Freidl, who suffers from Senzelitis, a disease that causes OFers to overthrow the cut off man/throw to the wrong base, needs to be a AAA mainstay.

Couldn't find the interview with Krall done a few days ago but if anyone was expecting DLC to open the season with the Reds, we can forget that. They're bound and determined to let him wallow in the minor leagues for god knows how long.
Noticed where the Braves already have their 2022 1st round pick Owen Murphy in A Ball and logged 5 starts last year. An organization with gumption and why they are routinely in the mix instead of the outside looking in. Collier looked well in his short duration of 27 ABs in rookie ball. Stewart wasn't bad, but not as good as Cam. Going to be awhile on them regardless.
Here's a list of FA outfielders. https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/outfield/ The Reds won't do it but would like to see them try to sign Michael Conforto. He should be healthy in 2023 and if he's solid, could do what this FO does best and flip him. I wouldn't have an issue with Kevin Pillar. Don't know what happened this year that he only had 12 ABs with the Dodgers but a solid hitter outside of 2021 when he got clunked in the head and plays the outfield really well. Other than that, they're not going to sign an impact OF despite the need to. Realistically, all you can hope for is a low risk/high reward type signing like Pham in '22. Certainly not going to bring home Benintendi.

Last edited:
A team afraid to sign a pitcher to more than a 3-year deal is a team that is going nowhere. Green pitched more innings that anyone on this staff and all things considered had a solid rookie season. Cincinnati likely won't be able to afford him anyways should he continue to get better. Who knows if they'll splurge and pay one of Lodolo/Greene like they did for Homer Bailey. There's plenty of time between now and his final year of arbitration. He won't be an UFA until 2028. The Reds probably won't be signing him long term regardless but there is no rush to make a deal this soon and should know his injury frequency by 2027, his final year of arbitration if he is still in Cincinnati at that point.

Last edited:
JMO, probably not at this time unless he's apart of some package that would have to headline another Reds top prospect playing better right now. Scares me to speculate on who that would be if such a trade were made. Maybe down the road they do with the SS depth in the pipeline. It would feel like the Reds are selling low when he's not exactly killing it during his golden opportunity chosen for the Arizona Fall League in an attempt to speed up his way to MLB.

I'm sure the plan was for him to take off in the AFL, carry it over into Spring Training and maybe have a shot at breaking camp with the Reds on Opening Day. Who knows what happens once ST comes, he may pull an India in '21 and make the roster out of ST. As for now, the Reds best hope is for him to start showing the ability to consistently hit and his stock in a trade will take care of itself or become a contributor for the Reds soon.

Doesn't this sound just like something our FO will do? I sincerely hope Friedl/Fairchild aren't starting while Siani or McGarry are in the minors. As far as the rotation, Stoudt & Williamson need to fill out the 4th & 5th spots though I'm sure Overton & Cessa will be needed for starts as we saw how many injuries the pitching staff had last year. 21 & 80 by Hopkins would be an upgrade over Senzel, TJ & Stuart.

Last edited:
Doesn't this sound just like something our FO will do? I sincerely hope Friedl/Fairchild aren't starting while Siani or McGarry are in the minors. As far as the rotation, Stoudt & Williamson need to fill out the 4th & 5th spots though I'm sure Overton & Cessa will be needed for starts as we saw how many injuries the pitching staff had last year. 21 & 80 by Hopkins would be an upgrade over Senzel, TJ & Stuart.

Wouldn't mind an OF at some point in 2023 with McGarry, Hopkins, Siani and Fraley/Fairchild as the 4th & 5th outfielders. I don't see a scenario in which the Reds don't start Fraley though especially when McGarry/Hopkins haven't reached MLB yet.

Wouldn't mind an OF at some point in 2023 with McGarry, Hopkins, Siani and Fraley/Fairchild as the 4th & 5th outfielders. I don't see a scenario in which the Reds don't start Fraley though especially when McGarry/Hopkins haven't reached MLB yet.
Agreed re Fraley although I see him as a 4th OFer. Still, he has 20 HR, 70 RBI, .270 potential if healthy.

Agreed re Fraley although I see him as a 4th OFer. Still, he has 20 HR, 70 RBI, .270 potential if healthy.
Health is my biggest concern with him. He's worth keeping around as a 4th outfielder for whenever this team can scratch the surface of another .500 season. With the current roster in place, he's the best option Cincinnati has.

Health is my biggest concern with him. He's worth keeping around as a 4th outfielder for whenever this team can scratch the surface of another .500 season. With the current roster in place, he's the best option Cincinnati has.
I hope the current roster isn't how the Reds open ST, god what a mess that would be! Guess when the WS is over they'll cut the deadwood. If not '23 will be the most depressing season in my lifetime.

I'm hoping the Reds FO is noticing how important HRs have been in the playoffs. Having these tiny ballparks and building your team around singles hitters is maddening.

I'm hoping the Reds FO is noticing how important HRs have been in the playoffs. Having these tiny ballparks and building your team around singles hitters is maddening.
Other teams have been filling managerial & coaching staff vacancies. Unless I've missed something, what is the hold up on Cincinnati's end? Letting the best candidates get scooped up first? This franchise is just stuck in reverse when it comes to logic and common sense. Don't think it has anything to do with not wanting to rush making a hire. Some of these openings should have been thought about for a long time now.

Other teams have been filling managerial & coaching staff vacancies. Unless I've missed something, what is the hold up on Cincinnati's end? Letting the best candidates get scooped up first? This franchise is just stuck in reverse when it comes to logic and common sense. Don't think it has anything to do with not wanting to rush making a hire. Some of these openings should have been thought about for a long time now.
They lost me when they didn't can the GM at season's end. Also, the decision to keep Pickler, the guy responsible for the worst outfield defense in MLB, was a head scratcher.

One would think the Reds would at least have a hitting coach in place by now. Would've been nice to at least have a hitting coach floating around the AFL what with McClain/Marte in the sub-.200 club and Hinds having 33 Ks/5 BBs....in like 17 games.

#1 Giles on a minor league contract with an invite to ST, if he sucks cut him. Otherwise he could help this bullpen if he's healthy. Really can't stomach another season of Kuhnel, Strickland and the likes.
#2 All for Michael Conforto as a low risk/high reward signing. Trade bait.
#3 Hell no. No more washed up injured pitchers who are past their prime with the organization's depth of starting pitching much more deserving.
#4 Yes, I would welcome Tucker Barnhart back in Cincinnati. He won't be valued anywhere else like he would in Cincinnati.

Last edited:
Today the Reds acquired Nick Solak from the Rangers for cash considerations. Also a former Louisville Cardinal

Kinda....meh.
Guess this is our consolation for when the Reds move on from Kyle Farmer as many articles seem to suggest is quite possible to happen. Excited to see another year of McLain & ELDC in the minors!

Excited Monkey GIF by Adult Swim

Guess this is our consolation for when the Reds move on from Kyle Farmer as many articles seem to suggest is quite possible to happen. Excited to see another year of McLain & ELDC in the minors!

Hoping the Reds trade India. He's a poor fielder, has limited range, is slow trying to turn DPs, doubt he ever hits over .250-.260. Rules changes makes him more of a liability. McClain has recently played 2B in AFL(AFL ends this weekend BTW) but I'm thinking Speer may end up at 2B. Really don't understand the Solak signing, maybe a AAA roster filler.

Farmer is a good bat against lefties. I think they keep him and trade him at the deadline for someone who will Platoon him
Hoping the Reds trade India. He's a poor fielder, has limited range, is slow trying to turn DPs, doubt he ever hits over .250-.260. Rules changes makes him more of a liability. McClain has recently played 2B in AFL(AFL ends this weekend BTW) but I'm thinking Speer may end up at 2B. Really don't understand the Solak signing, maybe a AAA roster filler.
Won’t trade him just yet. His value is pretty low and he’s cheap.

Been messing around with some Bowman First Chrome auto cards. I've been looking for some prospects to buy. Everyone knows about Elly, and that's reflected in his card prices. So, I was looking elsewhere and noticed a Reds prospect I haven't paid much attention to.

Talk to me about Christian Encarnocion-Strand. He came over from the Twins.

What's this guy's deal? First full season of MILB after going 4th round out of OK State in 2021. He absolutely CRUSHED the ball this year. 952 OPS with 32 homers, 31 doubles, and 5 triples with a 304 batting average and 114 RBI in 484 at bats. Rated as a decent defender on the corners. Played as a 22 year old all season between A+ and AA. Looks like a tank too. He does strike out quite a bit and doesn't walk a lot. But those hitting numbers are eye opening.

Yet, he's not rated in the Top 10 of Reds prospects much less top 100 of MLB prospects. What's his deal? Do scouts just think his game's not going to translate to the next level or what? Because the numbers suggest he's a possible superstar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT