ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

It may not be ethical but if I'm the Reds I'd use up Greene/Lodolo because they won't resign them anyway. No pitch count, no IP count...get as many wins out of them as I can. Talking heads on MLBN said this spring Greene would be one of the like 5 top players/pitchers in ML in coming years but were adamant: "It won't be in Cincinnati."
I think they will much like they did with Castillo in his final starts to showcase his durability and throwing as many as 123 pitches in a game. Just hoping they stay healthy enough to flip for the eventual haul in return that the Reds could command if they hit their ceiling. It's possible they might be able to keep 1 (maybe) like they did overpaying Homer but who knows it could wind up being someone like Williamson or Ashcraft by that time only realistic for the Reds spending habits.

Can only hope one of these rounds before the fire sale Cincinnati can get it together for a run like the Royals did in a small window. Lodolo/Greene could make a lethal 1-2 punch to shutdown an offense in October. These days it seems like a team needs a minimum of 3 aces to have a legit shot and Cincinnati is so far off offensively from being relevant it isn't even funny.

I have real questions about Ashcraft, not convinced he's healthy. Three starts post IL were struggles. Still think they should float India in trade talks.

Mixed results in AFL. McClain playing SS, hitting pretty well. Hinds in RF showing power, he was injured/struggled during his minor league season. Marte at 3B, not hitting much. RHP Benschoter has thrown well. Roa got blasted in lone start. RH relief pitchers Gozzo/Timpanelli haven't shown much but they've only thrown a few innings.

I think they will much like they did with Castillo in his final starts to showcase his durability and throwing as many as 123 pitches in a game. Just hoping they stay healthy enough to flip for the eventual haul in return that the Reds could command if they hit their ceiling. It's possible they might be able to keep 1 (maybe) like they did overpaying Homer but who knows it could wind up being someone like Williamson or Ashcraft by that time only realistic for the Reds spending habits.

Can only hope one of these rounds before the fire sale Cincinnati can get it together for a run like the Royals did in a small window. Lodolo/Greene could make a lethal 1-2 punch to shutdown an offense in October. These days it seems like a team needs a minimum of 3 aces to have a legit shot and Cincinnati is so far off offensively from being relevant it isn't even funny.
It's amazing to look at that run and think that Mike Moustakas was at some point a productive player. The Reds got bamboozled big time in this deal.

Reactions: KYExtemper
It's amazing to look at that run and think that Mike Moustakas was at some point a productive player. The Reds got bamboozled big time in this deal.
Coming up a week after season's end and the only player they've shit canned is Dugger. 100 loss team don't you know. Why are the GM and Pickler still employed??

Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2023​

• Buck Farmer (5.140): $1.4MM
  • Luis Cessa (5.131): $2.6MM
  • Kyle Farmer (4.129): $5.9MM
  • Jeff Hoffman (4.105): $1.2MM
  • Lucas Sims (4.014): $1.3MM
  • Nick Senzel (3.150): $2.2MM
  • Derek Law (3.081): $900K
  • Aramis Garcia (3.036): $800K
  • Justin Dunn (3.016): $1.1MM
  • Aristides Aquino (3.003): $1.6MM
  • Tejay Antone (3.000): $800K

Buck Farmer, Law, Garcia, Senzel, Aquino need to be non-tendered.

Reactions: mrschwump

Highway robbery.

Sitting here watching the defending champion Braves using a former Red Jackson Stephens, 3.69 ERA in 39 games. Cionel Perez 1.40 ERA in 66 games for the above .500 Orioles. It's a damn shame when other organizations take Reds scraps and can get some use out of them and Cincinnati can't figure out what the hell to do with them.

Sitting here watching the defending champion Braves using a former Red Jackson Stephens, 3.69 ERA in 39 games. Cionel Perez 1.40 ERA in 66 games for the above .500 Orioles. It's a damn shame when other organizations take Reds scraps and can get some use out of them and Cincinnati can't figure out what the hell to do with them.
Actually the Reds did figure out what to do with them.....give them away to other organizations. Reds player development is pathetic.

Reactions: KYExtemper
My son played against Belisle in 16U national AAU tourney in New Orleans. Guy could bring it.
Oh wow, that's awesome! He definitely carved a nice 15 year career once moving on from Cincinnati. Also makes me think about another former Red who did well in the Braves bullpen around that time, Chris Reitsma.

Stat during Mariners/Astros game. Most home runs in MLB since 2018, #1 Aaron Judge 164, #2 Eugenio Suarez 160. Go Mariners in this series. As much as I like Dusty, can't stand the cheaters.

Yet a lot of Reds fans who were happy when ES was traded. Now they have guys who can't get the ball out of the infield.
That's one I never really understood why so many were down on Suarez. A great clubhouse leader with big time power numbers. We know the numbers he was capable of providing and the 49 home run season, 103 RBIs is nothing to sneeze at. Only 1 season below .260 from 2015-19. Too many let the 2-month stunt of a season in 2020 and 1 bad year in 2021 forget what he brought to the Reds in the years before. Wonder how many bangs on the trash can lid before that home run by Alvarez?

Roa, bad first start a week ago, pitched much better last night getting a W. RHP Timpanelli again struggled with his command. Hinds with a couple of hits and a RBI but 3 Ks, Marte/McClain DNP.

Roa, bad first start a week ago, pitched much better last night getting a W. RHP Timpanelli again struggled with his command.
It makes you wonder how Timpanelli gets selected for the AFL after his struggles all season and age 24 over some of the Reds pitching prospects like Petty or Abbott who I think are more deserving. Would like to see them moved along further to make their debut sooner with valuable experience now heading into ST. With the depth in the organization with pitching prospects, why in the hell are the Reds experimenting with a 24-year old former catcher and using up an AFL roster spot on him.

It makes you wonder how Timpanelli gets selected for the AFL after his struggles all season and age 24 over some of the Reds pitching prospects like Petty or Abbott who I think are more deserving. Would like to see them moved along further to make their debut sooner with valuable experience now heading into ST. With the depth in the organization with pitching prospects, why in the hell are the Reds experimenting with a 24-year old former catcher and using up an AFL roster spot on him.
Jake Gozzo too, former RF/1B who had an ungodly number of walks in limited IP.

Jake Gozzo too, former RF/1B who had an ungodly number of walks in limited IP.
What in the hell are they doing? Time to stop thinking with their ass and convert some of these infielders to outfielders instead of failed position players into pitchers robbing deserving prospects of vital experience. Does anyone really think these moves are going to amount to anything?

What in the hell are they doing? Time to stop thinking with their ass and convert some of these infielders to outfielders instead of failed position players into pitchers robbing deserving prospects of vital experience. Does anyone really think these moves are going to amount to anything?
Have seen this time and again and it seldom if ever works...scouts find a guy with a good arm, try to make a pitcher out of him only to discover the guy's a thrower and not a pitcher. Guys like this seldom, if ever, develop secondary pitches plus command is a constant concern. Do know instead of pissing away these opportunities this would've been a great chance for somebody like Joe Boyle. It's just no wonder the Reds are in the shape they're in.

Have seen this time and again and it seldom if ever works...scouts find a guy with a good arm, try to make a pitcher out of him only to discover the guy's a thrower and not a pitcher. Guys like this seldom, if ever, develop secondary pitches plus command is a constant concern. Do know instead of pissing away these opportunities this would've been a great chance for somebody like Joe Boyle. It's just no wonder the Reds are in the shape they're in.
The rejects need to go do that on someone else's time in independent ball instead of screwing off when there are worthy players that desperately need this time to develop than using the AFL as an experiment.

Last edited:
Roa, bad first start a week ago, pitched much better last night getting a W. RHP Timpanelli again struggled with his command. Hinds with a couple of hits and a RBI but 3 Ks, Marte/McClain DNP.
I hope Hinds has one hell of a spring training and force the Reds to start him at AAA, carry this over and sometime join the Reds in the outfield in 2023. This so far seems to be the only player transitioning from the IF to the OF that is showing some promise right now. Blog Red Machine did a piece today saying Fairchild is sure to be in line for more playing time in the outfield. .279 in limited ABs with 5 home runs. The RBI totals are low but who isn't right now with hardly anyone getting on base consistently. I would be ok in some order the following on the roster, Siani/Fraley/Fairchild/McGarry/Hinds and maybe McLain in LF if he gets called up. I'll take it over Aquino/Friedl/Senzel. Doubting McLain/ELDC ever happen in the OF though. At some point McGarry will have to make his debut or another organization can claim him in the Rule 5 Draft in '23. Still would be good to sign a cheap veteran outfielder and flip them for prospects as the Reds did for Pham/Naquin.

I hope Hinds has one hell of a spring training and force the Reds to start him at AAA, carry this over and sometime join the Reds in the outfield in 2023. This so far seems to be the only player transitioning from the IF to the OF that is showing some promise right now. Blog Red Machine did a piece today saying Fairchild is sure to be in line for more playing time in the outfield. .279 in limited ABs with 5 home runs. The RBI totals are low but who isn't right now with hardly anyone getting on base consistently. I would be ok in some order the following on the roster, Siani/Fraley/Fairchild/McGarry/Hinds and maybe McLain in LF if he gets called up. I'll take it over Aquino/Friedl/Senzel. Doubting McLain/ELDC ever happen in the OF though. At some point McGarry will have to make his debut or another organization can claim him in the Rule 5 Draft in '23. Still would be good to sign a cheap veteran outfielder and flip them for prospects as the Reds did for Pham/Naquin.

Good lord! I've resigned myself to the fact the Reds are going to let McGarry walk. Guy's 24, can play 1B, hit nearly 30 HRs, almost 80 RBIs and hit nearly .270 for 3 different minor league teams this year. Plus he's a lefty who'd be hitting in a tiny ballpark. But, hey, FO says they have singles hitters Fairchild/Senzel to patrol the friendly confines of GABP! They've blown their chance to get McClain OF time in the AFL. Is it any wonder the Reds are in the shape they're in??

Reactions: kybloo92
Good lord! I've resigned myself to the fact the Reds are going to let McGarry walk. Guy's 24, can play 1B, hit nearly 30 HRs, almost 80 RBIs and hit nearly .270 for 3 different minor league teams this year. Plus he's a lefty who'd be hitting in a tiny ballpark. But, hey, FO says they have singles hitters Fairchild/Senzel to patrol the friendly confines of GABP! They've blown their chance to get McClain OF time in the AFL. Is it any wonder the Reds are in the shape they're in??
At this point if McLain can prove he's ready to hit, has a good ST the Reds should consider McLain transitioning at the MLB level like Barrero did in 2021 instead wasting anymore time. Would take the FO having gumption to make a move like this which I'm not holding my breath. No it's not ideal to just throw him out there but it's essentially what they did to Barrero & Senzel. What the hell is there to lose when they are probably going to drop 100 again.

Last edited:
At this point if McLain can prove he's ready to hit, has a good ST the Reds should consider McLain transitioning at the MLB level like Barrero did in 2021 instead wasting anymore time. Would take the FO having gumption to make a move like this which I'm not holding my breath. No it's not ideal to just throw him out there but it's essentially what they did to Barrero & Senzel. What the hell is there to lose when they are probably going to drop 100 again.
Good news/bad news: Good is that Hinds hit a grand slam TR night. Bad is that McClain is hitting .200, Marte under .200. Gozzo and his 11+ ERA took the TR loss.

FO looking to top the 102 loss campaign. Haven't released anyone yet, GM/Pickler still have jobs.

If someone can point me to an article/rule stating otherwise I'll be happy to say I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure McGarry is still two years away from being Rule-5 Draft eligible. He signed in 2020. Per the MLB.com glossary, players signed at 19-years-old or older have four years before they have to be protected.

If someone can point me to an article/rule stating otherwise I'll be happy to say I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure McGarry is still two years away from being Rule-5 Draft eligible. He signed in 2020. Per the MLB.com glossary, players signed at 19-years-old or older have four years before they have to be protected.

Thanks, that's good news.

Well I saw it in this article, wasn't something I just came up with out of thin air. "The former Oregon State Beaver is seeing the ball extremely well this season and doesn't become eligible for the Rule 5 Draft until after the 2023 season."

Well I saw it in this article, wasn't something I just came up with out of thin air. "The former Oregon State Beaver is seeing the ball extremely well this season and doesn't become eligible for the Rule 5 Draft until after the 2023 season."
Would hope either McGarry or CE-S will be Votto's eventual replacement seeing how hell freezes over before the Reds sign Josh Bell.

Would hope either McGarry or CE-S will be Votto's eventual replacement seeing how hell freezes over before the Reds sign Josh Bell.
Unless I see a source that says otherwise specific to McGarry's status, I'm still sticking with the assumption that he is eligible after the 2023 season from a source that covers this team on a daily basis. Between McGarry/CES and Stephenson who has played a number of games at 1B I feel more at ease about that position than I did prior to the start of 2022 whenever McGarry & CES do arrive. McGarry could help fill a void in the OF now. An outfield Fraley/Siani/McGarry in 2023 will work for me.

I think 2023 would typically be correct but I wonder if being signed in 2020 plays into that since there wasn't a minor league season. I think his clock likely started in 2021 but I could be wrong.

Good news/bad news: Good is that Hinds hit a grand slam TR night. Bad is that McClain is hitting .200, Marte under .200. Gozzo and his 11+ ERA took the TR loss.

FO looking to top the 102 loss campaign. Haven't released anyone yet, GM/Pickler still have jobs.
That is awesome to see out of Hinds. Despite injuries perhaps he is further along that I had though. Guess I will temper my expectations on McLain for now.

Aaron Judge with 3 more Ks today, must be taking hitting lessons from Barrero/Aquino. ;)
It's amazing for $19 million, the Yankees got 62 home runs, 131 RBIs and a .311 avg. Going to back the Brinks trucks up for him. For $3 million less, the Reds received 7 home runs, 25 RBIs and a .214 avg from Moustakas.

That is awesome to see out of Hinds. Despite injuries perhaps he is further along that I had though. Guess I will temper my expectations on McLain for now.

It's amazing for $19 million, the Yankees got 62 home runs, 131 RBIs and a .311 avg. Going to back the Brinks trucks up for him. For $3 million less, the Reds received 7 home runs, 25 RBIs and a .214 avg from Moustakas.
LOL!!!

While I would much rather be in Seattle's situation and make the postseason...What a steep price to pay only to get swept in the ALDS. Have to think they depleted their farm system and signing the reigning AL Cy Young Award Winner Robbie Ray. & Julio Rodriguez to a 12-year deal. This could be the ceiling with that franchise with the likes of Houston in the division, LAA are big spenders and some think Texas is on the verge with their young prospects. Also NYY, TB are playoff mainstays. Usually Boston is too. Didn't have Jesse Winker but I'm not sure he alone is the difference between the ALDS and World Series.

Last edited:
While I would much rather be in Seattle's situation and make the postseason...What a steep price to pay only to get swept in the ALDS. Have to think they depleted their farm system and signing the reigning AL Cy Young Award Winner Robbie Ray. & Julio Rodriguez to a 12-year deal. This could be the ceiling with that franchise with the likes of Houston in the division, LAA are big spenders and some think Texas is on the verge with their young prospects. Also NYY, TB are playoff mainstays. Usually Boston is too. Didn't have Jesse Winker but I'm not sure he alone is the difference between the ALDS and World Series.
Frequent mistake by bottom feeder teams. Rather than being patient and play the long game, mortgage their future of top prospects for a short window. Wait it out like the Tampa Bay Rays do and if you have to trade them, get a haul in return.

Last edited:
Frequent mistake by bottom feeder teams. Rather than being patient and play the long game, mortgage their future of top prospects for a short window. Wait it out like the Tampa Bay Rays do and if you have to trade them, get a haul in return.
While it may be a tough price to deal with long term, it's really about the only shot a small market team like Cincinnati or Kansas City in 2015 have is giving up top prospects while their former organizations pay their large salaries for the small window to compete in.

OT I guess but I've found a new favorite player! While viewing rosters from the Dominican League, of which 5 Reds are listed including EDLC, Cerda and Aquino, I came across the name of a 38 y/o RHP that I found intriguing.....6'4" 310 pound Jumbo Diaz! My hero!!

ADVERTISEMENT