ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

Hoffman has an elbow injury and probably won't be ready for the season. I'm surprised at the snark toward Richardson though. Y'all would've had a field day with Krall if he left a former second round pick who's still 22 unprotected for the Rule 5 draft.
Hope it works out for him and Cincy, God knows the Reds need the help. Richardson has to start getting outs without giving up base runners and runs.

Hoffman has an elbow injury and probably won't be ready for the season. I'm surprised at the snark toward Richardson though. Y'all would've had a field day with Krall if he left a former second round pick who's still 22 unprotected for the Rule 5 draft.
If you read my posts here, I've not one time called for Krall's head and praised his job restocking the farm system. Half way up the page I suggested letting the man do his job so save your snide remarks. That's all you do here to anyone who doesn't tow the company line. Hoffman was under team control through 2024 and cutting him now after a career season is just laughable. A typical Reds move just like ditching Barnhart this time last year and left Cincinnati in a bind once Stephenson went down. Sorry if I'm not impressed by a soon to be 23 year old minor leaguer with an ERA above .500.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrschwump
If you read my posts here, I've not one time called for Krall's head and praised his job restocking the farm system. Half way up the page I suggested letting the man do his job so save your snide remarks. That's all you do here to anyone who doesn't tow the company line. Hoffman was under team control through 2024 and cutting him now after a career season is just laughable. A typical Reds move just like ditching Barnhart this time last year and left Cincinnati in a bind. Sorry if I'm not impressed by soon to be 23 year old minor league with an ERA above .500.
Lol I certainly don't tow the company line. Last offseason was a joke and the first time I didn't attend a game at GABP since I've been an adult. I usually attend at least 2-3 a year.

Hoffman isn't an essential piece to anything the Reds are doing and he's in arbitration now with an injury. It's not malpractice to let that guy go to protect a younger draft pick that's throwing 98 coming off Tommy John. Every club in the MLB would've made the same move.

I think some of you get hung up on strange things. I'm going to assume you didn't follow Tucker Barnhart this season. He had a negative WAR and was truly one of the worst offensive players in baseball. He was not worth the $7.5 the Tigers paid him.

Reactions: Krazzy
Lol I certainly don't tow the company line. Last offseason was a joke and the first time I didn't attend a game at GABP since I've been an adult. I usually attend at least 2-3 a year.

Hoffman isn't an essential piece to anything the Reds are doing and he's in arbitration now with an injury. It's not malpractice to let that guy go to protect a younger draft pick that's throwing 98 coming off Tommy John. Every club in the MLB would've made the same move.

I think some of you get hung up on strange things. I'm going to assume you didn't follow Tucker Barnhart this season. He had a negative WAR and was truly one of the worst offensive players in baseball. He was not worth the $7.5 the Tigers paid him.
Agree to disagree on Hoffman, from what I read he is probable for the start of the season and I doubt he will be out of a job long. https://blogredmachine.com/posts/re...s-heading-into-2023-luis-cessa-tejay-antone/2 Check out #2 on this article.

Tucker Barnhart has tremendous value to the Reds franchise as a gold glove catcher, had familiarity with the pitching staff and was durable behind the plate. A veteran catcher with a young pitching staff is vital. The Cubs & Red Sox even loved David Ross with horrible offensive numbers. Arroyo did too here. I absolutely would pay that man rather than dealing with the revolving door of catchers we saw this year. Even the Cowboy mentioned how the Reds can't find themselves in this situation again. His offensive numbers were never the best but neither are they for Martin Maldonado. They have it right in Houstin with him & Vazquez.

Reactions: trueblujr2
Agree to disagree on Hoffman, from what I read he is probable for the start of the season and I doubt he will be out of a job long. https://blogredmachine.com/posts/re...s-heading-into-2023-luis-cessa-tejay-antone/2 Check out #2 on this article.

Tucker Barnhart has tremendous value to the Reds franchise as a gold glove catcher, had familiarity with the pitching staff and was durable behind the plate. A veteran catcher with a young pitching staff is vital. The Cubs & Red Sox even loved David Ross with horrible offensive numbers. Arroyo did too here. I absolutely would pay that man rather than dealing with the revolving door of catchers we saw this year. Even the Cowboy mentioned how the Reds can't find themselves in this situation again. His offensive numbers were never the best but neither are they for Martin Maldonado. They have it right in Houstin with him & Vazquez.
I think you make a fair point on veteran catchers having value with a young pitching staff. In hindsight, he would've been more valuable than the guys the Reds used outside of Stephenson but with the direction the organization chose to go in -- which is a debate in its own right -- paying Barnhart $7.5 million to be the backup catcher wasn't something the Reds were going to do.

They mostly had terrible luck with Tyler Stephenson. I doubt Barnhart will be a starter anywhere else in 2022 so I wonder if there's mutual interest in bringing him back on a cheap deal. Stephenson needs to spend time as DH and at first as well in order to maximize his bats.

I think you make a fair point on veteran catchers having value with a young pitching staff. In hindsight, he would've been more valuable than the guys the Reds used outside of Stephenson but with the direction the organization chose to go in -- which is a debate in its own right -- paying Barnhart $7.5 million to be the backup catcher wasn't something the Reds were going to do.

They mostly had terrible luck with Tyler Stephenson. I doubt Barnhart will be a starter anywhere else in 2022 so I wonder if there's mutual interest in bringing him back on a cheap deal. Stephenson needs to spend time as DH and at first as well in order to maximize his bats.
A couple of pages ago, I made a post about Tucker saying he would not be valued by another organization as much as his presence was to Cincinnati. I get that many of the pitchers he worked with have moved on but would absolutely welcome him back in the range of something between $3.5-4 million what Houston has paid Maldonado & Castro it would be worth it. Build chemistry with our young starters at least until Nelson, Vellojin or Tanner are ready for Cincinnati. Absolutely agree it is crucial to save Tyler's bat long term and play him at 1B/DH in the future. He can help this organization for years to come and might last longer than Posey/Mauer moving him sooner than later. Fully expect him to behind the plate to start 2023 unless an obvious plan for someone like Barnhart comes in to take the load off him.

Crazy idea but could Bell play Tyler in LF at some point in the future with the OF situation currently? He logged an inning in LF during the 2021 season as a late game defensive replacement. I know managers will do that when games are out of hand much like when position players take the mound. Just thinking out loud about ways to preserve Stephenson with Votto still at 1B and likely CES in the not too distant future. Also Spencer Steer who was listed among MLB's Top 100 prospects with 9 starts at 1B for the Reds in September.

On board with the 1B/DH idea so I don't suggest transitioning him to LF as a new position permanently despite teams often sticking their worst defensive players in LF like Adam Dunn. Who knows, might be good there. Of course any such move would require a dependable catcher in place of Stephenson. From 2001-05, Jason LaRue would make an occasional appearance in LF & RF.

Crazy idea but could Bell play Tyler in LF at some point in the future with the OF situation currently? He logged an inning in LF during the 2021 season as a late game defensive replacement. I know managers will do that when games are out of hand much like when position players take the mound. Just thinking out loud about ways to preserve Stephenson with Votto still at 1B and likely CES in the not too distant future. Also Spencer Steer who was listed among MLB's Top 100 prospects with 9 starts at 1B for the Reds in September.

On board with the 1B/DH idea so I don't suggest transitioning him to LF as a new position permanently despite teams often sticking their worst defensive players in LF like Adam Dunn. Who knows, might be good there. Of course any such move would require a dependable catcher in place of Stephenson. From 2001-05, Jason LaRue would make an occasional appearance in LF & RF.
Don't see TS as an OFer, would like to see him as 1B/DH. He seems to be adamant about catching however even tho a move to 1B would likely prolong his career. Hoping for CES at 1B by the end of the year. Votto DH only IMO. Don't see Steer as a 1B, arm and range dictates 2B.

Don't see TS as an OFer, would like to see him as 1B/DH. He seems to be adamant about catching however even tho a move to 1B would likely prolong his career. Hoping for CES at 1B by the end of the year. Votto DH only IMO. Don't see Steer as a 1B, arm and range dictates 2B.
As long as there aren't additional options at catcher it all does seem like a moot point. Tyler is the starting catcher going forward. Steer had a higher fielding percentage at 2B and can always shift India back to his natural 3B. I do think at least 1 of ELDC or McLain will get called up at some point to play SS. I give Barrero by June to take off, show us something. If not, by then turn the keys over to ELDC and don't look back.

As long as there aren't additional options at catcher it all does seem like a moot point. Tyler is the starting catcher going forward. Steer had a higher fielding percentage at 2B and can always shift India back to his natural 3B. I do think at least 1 of ELDC or McLain will get called up at some point to play SS. I give Barrero by June to take off, show us something. If not, by then turn the keys over to ELDC and don't look back.
Yeah, I'd give Barrero ST plus 6 weeks then I'm done. I really like the guy, good fielder, really good arm but he's going to have to hit sometime soon. AFL champ game Talking Heads feel McClain will end up at 2B. Hoping to see EDLC/Marte in '23 but with Krall...who knows?

With the shift restrictions coming, I wonder if India will be able to stick at 2B. He's one of the worst rated defensive players at 2B anyway. Defense should be valued more moving forward at 2B for big league clubs. Does he get a look in the outfield?

With the shift restrictions coming, I wonder if India will be able to stick at 2B. He's one of the worst rated defensive players at 2B anyway. Defense should be valued more moving forward at 2B for big league clubs. Does he get a look in the outfield?
Definitely should entertain it and allows the Reds a chance to keep best hitters in the line up as well. Outfield definitely needs help and it opens up room for the talented infielders to be called up. Even Price entertained moving Scooter Gennett off 2B and recent years seeing Senzel/Barrero in the OF for the Reds. These days when you see infielders like Trevor Story, Jeff McNeil, Chris Taylor, Whit Merrifield it is a trend that can only help a team.

Last edited:

Definitely should entertain it and allows the Reds a chance to keep best hitters in the line up as well. Outfield definitely help and it opens up room for the talented infielders to be called up. Even Price entertained moving Scooter Gennett off 2B and recent years seeing Senzel/Barrero in the OF for the Reds. These days when you see infielders like Trevor Story, Jeff McNeil, Chris Taylor, Whit Merrifield it is a trend that can only help a team.
The Reds should really consider it and start thinking outside the box. India can move back to 2B or 3B if it doesn't work out.

Next year doesn't have to be another 100 loss season if the Reds take some chances. They will go as far as the young talent takes them and pleased with the progress by both Hunter Greene & Nick Lodolo. The bullpen should be better with Sims, Antone, Santillan coming back. Impressed by Alexis Diaz & Fernando Cruz. I would put Dunn in the role Hoffman had to eating up innings in middle relief and a spot start. Would prefer the same for Cessa & Overton if Williamson & Stoudt are called up in 2023. From articles that I have read it appears they will fill out the rotation to start 2023.

Biggest concerns are finding a legit backup catcher and the offense in general. A lot will depend the growth of young players like Steer, Stephenson staying healthy, India getting back to his 2021 numbers offensively and anyone the Reds promote from the pipeline. Would like to see McLain, ELDC, McGarry & CES all make it to Cincinnati before 2023 ends. Take a chance on Conforto like they did with Tommy Pham. 2023 will be another rough season though I hope it will resemble the 2009 Reds when they called up prospects in the 2nd half, made the trade for Rolen setting them up for that run from 2010-13. That team also had a veteran catcher Ramon Hernandez with young starters like Cueto, Bailey & Volquez.

The Reds should really consider it and start thinking outside the box. India can move back to 2B or 3B if it doesn't work out.

Next year doesn't have to be another 100 loss season if the Reds take some chances. They will go as far as the young talent takes them and pleased with the progress by both Hunter Greene & Nick Lodolo. The bullpen should be better with Sims, Antone, Santillan coming back. Impressed by Alexis Diaz & Fernando Cruz. I would put Dunn in the role Hoffman had to eating up innings in middle relief and a spot start. Would prefer the same for Cessa & Overton if Williamson & Stoudt are called up in 2023. From articles that I have read it appears they will fill out the rotation to start 2023.

Biggest concerns are finding a legit backup catcher and the offense in general. A lot will depend the growth of young players like Steer, Stephenson staying healthy, India getting back to his 2021 numbers offensively and anyone the Reds promote from the pipeline. Would like to see McLain, ELDC, McGarry & CES all make it to Cincinnati before 2023 ends. Take a chance on Conforto like they did with Tommy Pham. 2023 will be another rough season though I hope it will resemble the 2009 Reds when they called up prospects in the 2nd half, made the trade for Rolen setting them up for that run from 2010-13. That team also had a veteran catcher Ramon Hernandez with young starters like Cueto, Bailey & Volquez.

Hire a real hitting coach that we have heard of that actually knows something about hitting with proven track record as a former player. I don't know much about Joel McKeithan who was retained other than College Baseball & Independent Baseball experience straight to MILB coaching. If he is promoted to the full-time hitting coach, not sure that really accomplishes anything.

I suggested going after someone like Bonds awhile back. Not necessarily him, a polarizing figure and a cheater but the reasoning behind that was seeing the impact he had in 1 season with the Marlins. Stanton hit 59 home runs, highest batting average of his career then, Yelich finally came around and most of all Derek Dietrich was a .280 hitter o_O.

Last edited:
Hire a real hitting coach that we have heard of that actually knows something about hitting with proven track record as a former player. I don't know much about Joel McKeithan who was retained other than College Baseball & Independent Baseball experience straight to MILB coaching. If he is promoted to the full-time hitting coach, not sure that really accomplishes anything.

I suggested going after someone like Bonds awhile back. Not necessarily him, a polarizing figure and a cheater but the reasoning behind that was seeing the impact he had in 1 season with the Marlins. Stanton hit 59 home runs, highest batting average of his career then, Yelich finally came around and most of all Derek Dietrich was a .280 hitter o_O.
I mentioned Ludwick as a guy who re-invented himself into an All-Star silver slugger mid-way through his career to stay at the MLB level as the kind of player who would make a great hitting coach. Struggling players can learn from one who demonstrated the ability to make the changes necessary to be a productive hitter as opposed to a talented star it came natural too. While I would love Eric Davis, Reds fans have clamored for him for years every time the offense is in a funk. Would he even consider the job? If so, by all means he's the guy. Seems like it would have already happened before being an obvious choice and does have experience as a hitting instructor.

The more you look at the picture at 1B, the murkier it gets. Playing time would be scarce for Stephenson at 1B and only played 1 time there in 2022 when healthy. 3 starts at DH.

The Reds will utilize Steer at 1st while Stephenson is catching if Votto is the full-time DH next year. Much of it will depend on how long the Barrero experiment lasts and whatever role Kyle Farmer assumes likely 3B. India isn't going anywhere and really only leaves 1 position for Steer who needs consistent at-bats.

Of course Moustakas will clog up ABs at 1B/DH until he winds up back on the shelf swinging the bat in the on-deck circle.

Seems like Farmer & Steer could get the short end of the stick and not necessarily the ones who should be. I get that Farmer isn't the future but is a leader in the clubhouse, on the field and most consistent presence in the lineup.

Last edited:
I mentioned Ludwick as a guy who re-invented himself into an All-Star silver slugger mid-way through his career to stay at the MLB level as the kind of player who would make a great hitting coach. Struggling players can learn from one who demonstrated the ability to make the changes necessary to be a productive hitter as opposed to a talented star it came natural too. While I would love Eric Davis, Reds fans have clamored for him for years every time the offense is in a funk. Would he even consider the job? If so, by all means he's the guy. Seems like it would have already happened before being an obvious choice and does have experience as a hitting instructor.

The more you look at the picture at 1B, the murkier it gets. Playing time would be scarce for Stephenson at 1B and only played 1 time there in 2022 when healthy. 3 starts at DH.

The Reds will utilize Steer at 1st while Stephenson is catching if Votto is the full-time DH next year. Much of it will depend on how long the Barrero experiment lasts and whatever role Kyle Farmer assumes likely 3B. India isn't going anywhere and really only leaves 1 position for Steer who needs consistent at-bats.

Of course Moustakas will clog up ABs at 1B/DH until he winds up back on the shelf swinging the bat in the on-deck circle.

Seems like Farmer & Steer could get the short end of the stick and not necessarily the ones who should be. I get that Farmer isn't the future but is a leader in the clubhouse, on the field and most consistent presence in the lineup.
Davis would do well one would think. He's already some type of "advisor" I think. But didn't he have some health problems in the recent past? That may preclude him from taking something full time.

For many of the same reasons a legit backup catcher is needed, a veteran presence in the starting rotation has its benefits too. For the right price I would entertain a Cueto reunion, Smyly or Gibson to mentor the young starters. They can trade the pitcher at the deadline for prospects as well. I like Cueto & Smyly. Syndergaard is too injury prone and Gibson's production is volatile over the years with a handful of good seasons. An innings eater will be needed when it comes to resting young starters and the injuries Greene, Lodolo & Ashcraft dealt with in 2022. As of now it looks like it will be Overton & Cessa filling that role.

Reactions: Derek Terry
Really have questions and concerns about Ashcraft. His late season return from IL was brutal. Is he healthy?

Within the last hour saw where the Nationals non-tendered Luke Voit as well. Going to miss Farmer. It won't be so bad if the Reds call up McLain, CES & ELDC in 2023. In the mean time it gives Steer a chance at 3B.

After the Reds lost their 100th game, Barry Larkin said something like: "The Reds need to make sure this never happens again." Sorry Lark.

Reactions: trueblujr2
Within the last hour saw where the Nationals non-tendered Luke Voit as well. Going to miss Farmer. It won't be so bad if the Reds call up McLain, CES & ELDC in 2023. In the mean time it gives Steer a chance at 3B.
Wish they would find a trade partner for Moustakas to take on his salary but it would probably mean trading a top prospect and likely expected to eat a chunk of that contract still. By the end, hopefully they have freed up enough within the Reds budget to sign 1 or 2 of Conforto, Barnhart, Cueto or Smyly. If it clears room for the top prospects, it will be worth the tough decision Cincinnati had to make on Farmer and get on with the future.

Probably will trade Newman for a prospect to clear the way if he's playing well. Otherwise, time for McLain & ELDC barring one of them don't break camp out of ST to begin with. Still would like to see someone move to the outfield with Votto at DH, Steer, India, McLain, ELDC & CES all presumably in the infield picture by the end of 2023. IMO, Marte will be in 2024.

Assuming Solak makes the opening day roster, Nick had 0 errors playing CF in 13 starts back in 2020, Fraley in LF and hopefully the Reds sign Michael Conforto in RF. If they don't, it is likely Fraley in RF, Solak is predominantly at LF with even fewer games in MILB in RF and a platoon of Senzel/Friedl in CF. Would be great to see McGarry get called up or Hopkins if he isn't taken in the Rule 5 Draft. If the Reds miss out on Conforto, maybe there can be a Duvall reunion.

Wish they would find a trade partner for Moustakas to take on his salary but it would probably mean trading a top prospect and likely expected to eat a chunk of that contract still. By the end, hopefully they have freed up enough within the Reds budget to sign 1 or 2 of Conforto, Barnhart, Cueto or Smyly. If it clears room for the top prospects, it will be worth the tough decision Cincinnati had to make on Farmer and get on with the future.

Probably will trade Newman for a prospect to clear the way if he's playing well. Otherwise, time for McLain & ELDC barring one of them don't break camp out of ST to begin with. Still would like to see someone move to the outfield with Votto at DH, Steer, India, McLain, ELDC & CES all presumably in the infield picture by the end of 2023. IMO, Marte will be in 2024.

Assuming Solak makes the opening day roster, Nick had 0 errors playing CF in 13 starts back in 2020, Fraley in LF and hopefully the Reds sign Michael Conforto in RF. If they don't, it is likely Fraley in RF, Solak is predominantly at LF with even fewer games in MILB in RF and a platoon of Senzel/Friedl in CF. Would be great to see McGarry get called up or Hopkins if he isn't taken in the Rule 5 Draft. If the Reds miss out on Conforto, maybe there can be a Duvall reunion.
I don't see anyone busting down doors to make that trade for Moustakas. For now, Siani should be given the majority of starts at CF to prove his worth and relegate Senzel/Friedl as the last options off the bench. I think people tend to forget he is on the Reds after the late call up this year and deserves his chance to thrive as much as anyone on this team. No sure thing the Reds sign an outfielder.

Newman may be a slight upgrade offensively over Reynolds and definitely Alejo Lopez. Reynolds similar to Solak are both utility players that can be used in both the infield & outfield. Things can change but I expect Barrero starts the season at SS, Newman in a reserve role and later on in 2023 you might see some of the top infield prospects make their debut.

Last edited:
I don't see anyone busting down doors to make that trade for Moustakas. For now, Siani should be given the majority of starts at CF to prove his worth and relegate Senzel/Friedl as the last options off the bench. I think people tend to forget he is on the Reds after the late call up this year and deserves his chance to thrive as much as anyone on this team. No sure thing the Reds sign an outfielder.

Newman may be a slight upgrade offensively over Reynolds and definitely Alejo Lopez. Reynolds similar to Solak are both utility players that can be used in both the infield & outfield. Things can change but I expect Barrero starts the season at SS, Newman in a reserve role and later on in 2023 you might see some of the top infield prospects make their debut.
Even in their down seasons, the Reds have usually made one transaction for a veteran starter to eat innings and a veteran outfielder. Last year it was Tommy Pham & the trade for Mike Minor. Another example in the Castellini Era the 2015 season Marlon Byrd & Jason Marquis. May not be the names we want but I definitely see an outfielder. Could be someone like Solak while they look to spend the money on a backup catcher and a veteran starter. Overton deserves a shot at the 5th spot until he proves otherwise, keep Cessa stretched out in the bullpen in a role like he had this year with spot starts.

Last edited:
Even in their down seasons, the Reds have usually made one transaction for a veteran starter to eat innings and a veteran outfielder. Last year it was Tommy Pham & the trade for Mike Minor. Another example in the Castellini Era the 2015 season Marlon Byrd & Jason Marquis. May not be the names we want but I definitely see an outfielder. Could be someone like Solak while they look to spend the money on a backup catcher and a veteran starter. Overton deserves a shot at the 5th spot until he proves otherwise, keep Cessa stretched out in the bullpen in a role like he had this year with spot starts.
Byrd was a good signing. Have to do better than Marquis if they are going to spend money on an 'innings eater' since he was gone before June that year. The plan for Luis Cessa and Overton is more solid than a Marquis/Feldman so they don't need to make a move for the hell of doing so. Needs to be the right move that helps the team like Tanner Roark a few years ago.

Would take both Kevin Kiermaier & Omar Narvaez.

Of the candidates listed for the OF in that article Wil Myers would be the one I want the most. Would entertain Bellinger but still feel he'll get paid rather well despite the down fall. I can't believe for one second we've seen the last of him not that far removed from his MVP season. Still young. Pollock would be fine on a 1-year deal. At 34, wouldn't give him a multi-year contract. Should have listed Duvall in the article as a temporary option and potential trade deadline piece for a team like Cincinnati.

For catcher, Sanchez is in the same boat as Bellinger with the offensive production he has shown in the past. Likely paid more than he's worth and a terrible catcher. The familiarity of Barnhart is likely who I would feel most comfortable with. Narvaez & Zunino are intriguing but down seasons last year too. Zunino coming off TOS would probably pass on him. Omar would know a thing or two about the Brewers pitching staff.

Sounds like his bat rebounded some last year and his .274 avg would have been LOVED on this paltry hitting team. Anywho, looks like maybe some insurance at SS to get to the trade deadline before they call up EDLC for the stretch. Wonder if that means the Barerro experiment is coming to a close.

Would be an awfully expensive bag of jock straps, that's about all Moose is worth in a trade at this point.

Sounds like his bat rebounded some last year and his .274 avg would have been LOVED on this paltry hitting team. Anywho, looks like maybe some insurance at SS to get to the trade deadline before they call up EDLC for the stretch. Wonder if that means the Barerro experiment is coming to a close.
Don't think Barerro is done just yet. I'd give him ST then about 6 weeks. If he's not improved by then I'd move on.

Problem with Newman is now the Reds have another singles hitter to go along with the roster full they already have. Just makes no sense to have a lineup of singles hitters playing in a band box park. Reds need power hitters, a lot of them.

An insurance plan is how I see it too for the cost of Moreta which I'm not shedding a tear over. Newman won't hurt the Reds and maybe give them Jose Iglesias numbers in a best case scenario. Doubt he's playing that much though. Barrero will get his run to start the year but anything below .230, around 5 home runs or less than 20 RBIs by June pull the cord on the experiment.

Thought I'd be more upset about Farmer but the only way to get on with the future is to make room for the guys who will play a part in it long term. Tough decisions had to be made. I don't agree with all of them though if they freed up enough money to sign a solid back up catcher, an OF and an innings eater it will help the Reds in other positions. 2023 is going to be another tough season. If they can finish that year like the '09 Reds did calling up prospects for a run in 2010, do that with CES, ELDC & McLain it will be for the better long term. May as well get the growing pains out of the way in a rebuilding year. Never been about delaying the future when you can start it now for some of these prospects like Atlanta does.

Last edited:
Re Farmer, what I liked about him was how he conducted himself. He was a true professional, worked his ass off and seemed to be engaged in the dugout during games. Modestly talented but would've been a great example for these younger guys who should be hitting the bigs soon. Now all they'll see is somebody selfish and egotistical like Senzel. But, true....if you're going to rebuild then rebuild!

Re Farmer, what I liked about him was how he conducted himself. He was a true professional, worked his ass off and seemed to be engaged in the dugout during games. Modestly talented but would've been a great example for these younger guys who should be hitting the bigs soon. Now all they'll see is somebody selfish and egotistical like Senzel. But, true....if you're going to rebuild then rebuild!
Think the Reds should have non-tendered Senzel, save more money there and let Solak have the utility role that has been rumored to be the plan for Nick going forward.

With the cost cutting Cincinnati has done and leadership lost with Kyle...Replace it with a veteran pitcher that will work with these young pitchers. One would think Barnhart would take on a leadership role if he's brought back and having worked in the back fields in ST with the young pitchers before last year and the returning relievers that played with him here. Signing Duvall with his leadership after winning a World Series would be nice. Still favor Conforto most though.

Of course all of that has to happen first before any moves had been made. Lastly, when are they going to hire a hitting coach? It's almost Thanksgiving.

Reactions: mrschwump
ADVERTISEMENT