ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

He just has "it" Braves fast tracked Acuña and Albies. No reason we can't do the same. Lord knows we've taken our sweet time with Hunter Greene.
With all due respect, Greene did have Tommy John surgery, otherwise I think he was in the rotation last year at least as a situational starter. That injury set him back and just didn't allow him to be fast tracked.

Exactly. We bring India up and he wins ROTY. At some point you have to lean on the young guys to come up and come together. I'd rather take our lumps for a year or two while they gel than sign a bunch of stop gap guys or overpay and reach on a FA or sign someone on their way out past their prime.
India's monster spring last year forced their hand and it paid off. Hopefully De La Cruz can do the same. At least hope that Farmer has a productive first half and can get them a prospect or two at the trade deadline and De La Cruz can take over from there, or at least platoon with Barrero and let the best man win going into next year.

Lodolo is getting his second spring training start today, I think that's an indication they plan on slotting him in the rotation to start the season. With Castillo out for at least the first rotation, I could also see Greene in there, however, I can see Greene bouncing back and forth between Louisville and Cincy this year before cementing himself next year. I still worry about his longevity throwing 100+ mph heat after having Tommy John surgery. I wondered if he would eventually go the route of Aroldis Chapman and be a lockdown closer at some point. I do kinda like the addition of Hunter Strickland to the back end of the rotation. a career 3.11 ERA is nothing to sneeze at.

At what point does Elly De LaCruz pass up Barrero?
Agree and I don't know what the hell this franchise is seeing in Barrero. That's great he's a slick fielding SS. If defense is all that matters without offense, Tucker Barnhart should have been one of the highest paid catchers.

Strickland is a good signing, so is Pham & even Solano looking back as the 2020 Silver Slugger at SS. Haven't seen anyone dumping on the signing of Hunter Strickland. His track record speaks for itself and did a solid job while he was closing for the Giants in 2018 with Melancon's injuries earning 14 saves. More than any Red reliever last year.

2020 and TJ surgery certainly did not do Greene any favors. If the Reds had any gumption at all, he was a 2-way player out of high school as a great hitting SS and Cincinnati originally sold him on the idea of doing both. Saw how long that lasted, never afforded the opportunity. In the worst case scenario, he could come back in a Rick Ankiel type role at some point.

In a rebuilding mode, they should get on with the future and let Greene break camp with the Reds and not waste this time putting off the development of some of these young kids. If he has a future in the bullpen, I don't want to see him bounced between the rotation and in relief. Quickest way to screw up someone's arm. The injuries will mount on fast like it did with Danny Graves. Even Lorenzen before leaving dealt with injuries after another stint in the rotation.

Last edited:
#6 Brandon Nimmo. I seem to recall the Reds rejecting a trade proposal from the Mets that included Nimmo & Zack Wheeler for Jay Bruce straight up. Our goons in the FO chose to roll with Dilson Herrera instead!

276107353_10158268122411695_3191324324935799151_n.jpg

Seeing Jesse there is a real kick in the junk
#6 Brandon Nimmo. I seem to recall the Reds rejecting a trade proposal from the Mets that included Nimmo & Zack Wheeler for Jay Bruce straight up. Our goons in the FO chose to roll with Dilson Herrera instead!

276107353_10158268122411695_3191324324935799151_n.jpg

Reactions: kybloo92
1st time in Castillo's career but an all too familiar spot for Mike Minor. $10 million he's getting paid to either ride the pine or take starts from our prospects. Dead weight.

Reactions: mrschwump
Add Dunn, the RHP the Reds got in the Seattle give away, and Cincy added 2 sore-armed hurlers. Nice job FO.
Williamson might be the only one I have a decent feeling about in that trade and hope there's something to him being reunited with Lodolo. Not sure what enticed them about Fraley already 26 with a career .196 average. Should've used the money on Mike Minor towards contract extensions. Adding Minor after dumping Miley makes no sense.

Lodolo was filthy again today. I assume once everyone is healthy the rotation will be
Castillo
Mahle
Gutierrez
Minor
Lodolo

What I'd like to know is why we don't just go all in and all young. Elly De La Cruz looks like a future superstar. If Barrero's defense is that elite, just play him.

We go on and on about how we need a 3B when we have like 5 on the damned roster. And were trying to play all of them in the OF.

I'd like to see Senzel at 3rd myself. He's having a hell of a preseason so far. You gotta go get a real OF. Tommy Pham put there is fine. Put Matt McClain into play. Tyler Naquin. Barrero at short...Farmer can't be the season long answer.

Suddenly we have a pretty decent fielding squad it would seem to me.

Lodolo was filthy again today. I assume once everyone is healthy the rotation will be
Castillo
Mahle
Gutierrez
Minor
Lodolo

What I'd like to know is why we don't just go all in and all young. Elly De La Cruz looks like a future superstar. If Barrero's defense is that elite, just play him.

We go on and on about how we need a 3B when we have like 5 on the damned roster. And were trying to play all of them in the OF.

I'd like to see Senzel at 3rd myself. He's having a hell of a preseason so far. You gotta go get a real OF. Tommy Pham put there is fine. Put Matt McClain into play. Tyler Naquin. Barrero at short...Farmer can't be the season long answer.

Completely agree. Would love to see Elly get a shot in the outfield with a lot of question marks in the OF. It would be great to see Naquin build onto his 2021 success along with Pham in the outfield.

I continue to be impressed with Sanmartin and hope he gets a chance to to start, prove his worth and stick around the rotation as a lefty while we have starters on the IL and once the trade deadline guts the rotation. It would be great if Minor can put together a consistent run and dump him at the trade deadline for a prospect. I guess you never know sometimes what you can get since Cincinnati managed to get Castillo for Dan Straily.

Agree that Senzel should be in the infield too at his natural position especially with his injury history and vertigo. If he stays healthy he could really soften the blow with the offseason losses. Farmer definitely regresses, he is a solid player but have to believe he overachieved in 2021. If not, then it only bodes well for the Reds and then you have a Silver Slugger award winner in 2020 with Solano.

Barrero & Senzel are the x-factors that could really make or break this season. Moustakas is what he is at this point and would love production but being realistic with my expectations here. The pitching this spring is impressive and has me feeling a bit more optimistic. Guess we'll know by about mid-May/June though the talent is there to build around going forward.

Reactions: CB3UK
Castillo
Mahle
Gutierrez
Minor
Lodolo

Senzel's having a "hell of a preseason" so far? He's hitting .222 with I think only one extra base hit. As soon as the FO admits this player is a flop and they need to move on the better.

Reactions: runningbears
Completely agree. Would love to see Elly get a shot in the outfield with a lot of question marks in the OF. It would be great to see Naquin build onto his 2021 success along with Pham in the outfield.

I continue to be impressed with Sanmartin and hope he gets a chance to to start, prove his worth and stick around the rotation as a lefty while we have starters on the IL and once the trade deadline guts the rotation. It would be great if Minor can put together a consistent run and dump him at the trade deadline for a prospect. I guess you never know sometimes what you can get since Cincinnati managed to get Castillo for Dan Straily.

Agree that Senzel should be in the infield too at his natural position especially with his injury history and vertigo. If he stays healthy he could really soften the blow with the offseason losses. Farmer definitely regresses, he is a solid player but have to believe he overachieved in 2021. If not, then it only bodes well for the Reds and then you have a Silver Slugger award winner in 2020 with Solano.

Barrero & Senzel are the x-factors that could really make or break this season. Moustakas is what he is at this point and would love production but being realistic with my expectations here. The pitching this spring is impressive and has me feeling a bit more optimistic. Guess we'll know by about mid-May/June though the talent is there to build around going forward.
Id forgotten about Solano. Giants fans loved him as a do anything glue guy apparently. Him and Farmer give us some options I think to try these young guys and slot those two wherever we need them. This horseshit of not having a 3B is what kills me. We have several on the damn roster.

Senzel's having a "hell of a preseason" so far? He's hitting .222 with I think only one extra base hit. As soon as the FO admits this player is a flop and they need to move on the better.
Have you not been watching? Senzel has been great so far.

Have you not been watching? Senzel has been great so far.
Don't get many games where I live, a singles hitter hitting in the low .200s isn't conducive to winning baseball games. Maybe he'll come around but hopefully it'll be elsewhere, he's clogging up the lineup here.

Don't get many games where I live, a singles hitter hitting in the low .200s isn't conducive to winning baseball games. Maybe he'll come around but hopefully it'll be elsewhere, he's clogging up the lineup here.
India and Senzel have been the stand outs of spring training man.

Looks like we're going to start Lodolo in Game 6, v Cleveland.

So when everyone is healthy it'll be
Castillo
Mahle
Sanmartin
Minor
Lodolo or Greene

Been talk we may even do a 6 man rotation? Williamson can be a starting pitcher as well. He looked good for us in his outings this spring.

Damn I wish Tejay was healthy...have him in the bullpen alongside Santillan or Sanmartin (I think one of them ends up starting and one holds down bullpen.) Cessa and Wilson back there too.....it feels like the bullpen shouldn't be a liability this year.

Reactions: kybloo92
Shrock is a very intriguing player and has been solid for the Reds off the bench ever since the game he almost hit for the cycle before getting injured. Deserves a spot on this team especially with his lineup flexibility in a utility role. Hate to beat a dead horse but imagine if the Reds had held onto the core of last year's team for one more ride this year. Cautiously optimistic with this team and many talented young players finally getting a chance. It's wishful thinking but it would be great to see this be a group to build around long term and will enjoy it while it lasts.

For all brouhaha after the trades, we're actually in OK shape. I dont have any delusions of grandeur, but by no means are we some 100 loss team. We can flirt with .500 if some of the young guys really come along. Who knows....expanded playoff....maybe pigs will fly and Castellini will acquire some free agents to make the push.

Looks like we're going to start Lodolo in Game 6, v Cleveland.

So when everyone is healthy it'll be
Castillo
Mahle
Sanmartin
Minor
Lodolo or Greene

Been talk we may even do a 6 man rotation? Williamson can be a starting pitcher as well. He looked good for us in his outings this spring.

Damn I wish Tejay was healthy...have him in the bullpen alongside Santillan or Sanmartin (I think one of them ends up starting and one holds down bullpen.) Cessa and Wilson back there too.....it feels like the bullpen shouldn't be a liability this year.
Dumb question, would it make sense to alternate starts between lodolo and Greene to preserve their arms? At least the first half of the season, then whichever one is doing better, make them the regular starter down the stretch?

Would veterans like Castillo object to a 6 man rotation? Pretty sure they want their innings and numbers, especially if they feel they might be Cy Young worthy.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the rotation depth as it is. Castillo and most likely Mahle will be gone soon enough. That will give Sanmartin, Greene & Lodolo ample amount of starts in the rotation. Minor really should not be in the equation but unfortunately for us he is. Already on the IL and he is injury prone throughout his career. They really should consider him in in a long relief role like Jeff Hoffman. Jeff has done practically nothing in his career but would be cheaper than keeping Minor. Cincinnati should trade Mike at his age and if he has a productive season, maybe get a decent prospect in return.

Some teams will use a 6-man rotation temporarily and this year is one of those years the Reds have the depth to do it. If the rotation gets to full strength the Reds should do this in a rebuilding year until a trade is made. Cincinnati will still want to give Castillo/Mahle their regular starts to audition for another team. Teams will skip starts in the 2nd half when pitchers hit the rookie wall and preserve their arms. Even veterans get skipped in the rotation every now and then.

The best thing for our young guys would be to get regular starts this season, develop their arms throughout the year and not be worried about innings limits in 2023 & beyond. We'll be out if for good after the trade deadline and pitchers like Hoffman, Santillan and some AAA guys can fill starts to give the rookies some rest in September. Alternating starts would be less than they would get in Louisville and the potential for arm injuries when their arms aren't conditioned to routine starts. Back and forth between the bullpen & rotation won't strengthen their arms and I'd hate to see another injury to Hunter Greene already having TJ surgery.

Last edited:
Dumb question, would it make sense to alternate starts between lodolo and Greene to preserve their arms? At least the first half of the season, then whichever one is doing better, make them the regular starter down the stretch?

Would veterans like Castillo object to a 6 man rotation? Pretty sure they want their innings and numbers, especially if they feel they might be Cy Young worthy.
Listening to the Reds sports talk radio, the idea is being float rotate 3 guys in that 5th spot. I pitched. I personally would rather have that consistent every 5/6 days be ready v 10+ days between. I think most guys are like that.

Such a Reds thing to do. You have potential aces in Nick Lodolo & Hunter Greene who are our future and they're having to compete for the 5th spot with washed up, overpriced veterans. As if the anticipation for their debut hasn't been long enough. Wouldn't surprise me to see Minor be the one that survives come July 31st, still in the rotation barring he's not on the shelf. A pitcher needs experience at the big league level, work through any slumps once the league adjusts and gets a scouting report on you. Our rebuilds wouldn't be so painful if logic was used instead of Krall, Williams & Jockstrap having their heads up Castellini's ass.

Last edited:
Pretty disappointing showing by Greene a week before the season starts. By the same token, better to get that out of the way now. Uphill battle none the less.

Greene is the future I say put him out there see what he can do

Greene definitely got rocked last night. Hes got to develop his off speed pitches. Just tossing heat isnt gonna get him far in this league

Nick Senzel with a 3 run bomb! 5-0 Rojos!!

I dont know what the hell youve been watching this preseason @mrschwump

If the baseball is Whitney Houston then Senzel is Bobby Brown. Hes been beating the hell out of that ball. Only India has looked better. Nick looks like what he looked like coming up and delivering.

Nick Senzel with a 3 run bomb! 5-0 Rojos!!

I dont know what the hell youve been watching this preseason @mrschwump

If the baseball is Whitney Houston then Senzel is Bobby Brown. Hes been beating the hell out of that ball. Only India has looked better. Nick looks like what he looked like coming up and delivering.
It’s exhibition ⚾️. It gets for real on Thursday and we’ll see how good 15 really is.

No Akayama, got cut yesterday, will probably be a free agent instead of going to AAA

Good move

No Akayama, got cut yesterday, will probably be a free agent instead of going to AAA

Good move
Agreed. Reds....well moreso the Bengals until lately.....both have a history of putting good money after bad so to speak. If they've paid a guy...they're gonna play him regardless of whether it's in the best interest in the team. Bengals have done a 180 thankfully on that, and the Reds FINALLY make an intelligent move. We owed Shogo 7 or 8 mil I believe whether he played or walked. No reason to keep him out there if you're going to pay him regardless of what you do.

I want to see TJ Friedl up in the outfield. I like Aquino but Friedl has shown he's a much better option.

Still our starting OF looks like Senzel Pham and Naquin......when we lost Castellanos and Winker things looked bleak but that's not a bad OF.

We're not going to be a dumpster fire this year boys!!

^ IDK - on paper thats a pretty rough OF.

2021:

Pham (15HR, 71RBI, 77R - 423AB)
Senzel (15, 58, 81 - 531AB career)
Naquin (19, 70, 52 - 411)

totals - 1442 ABs; 49 HR, 177 RBI, 207 R

Castellanos/Winker 2021

W - 24,71,77 - 423
C - 34, 100, 95 - 531

totals - 954 ABs; 58 HR, 171 RBI, 172 R

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT