ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

I enjoyed Johnny Cueto during his time as a Cincinnati Red and should have gotten paid Homer's money. He should be a 4 or 5 on a contender, not in a rebuild. I'm struggling to understand why they would replace 2 veteran pitchers with 2 over the hill pitchers that are always on the IL now. Since this is the direction of the franchise now, it's delaying the development for some of the following Greene, Lodolo, Sanmartin and even Santillan if his future is as a starter. There is no place for Mike Minor or Jeff Hoffman 😆 on this team. If you need a lefty, that's why you have Reiver Sanmartin.

Reactions: KYExtemper
.500 beats .350 which is where they're headed.

.500 gets you this in the playoffs: a seat in front of the TV, same as .350

If they aren't going to commit to getting the best of the best (at least to their ability to do so) then you move on and see what happens down the road. Every team has been there. And this isn't just a players issue....Bell is way out of his league.

.500 gets you this in the playoffs: a seat in front of the TV, same as .350

If they aren't going to commit to getting the best of the best (at least to their ability to do so) then you move on and see what happens down the road. Every team has been there. And this isn't just a players issue....Bell is way out of his league.
Castellini & his cronies will never commit to winning. Have you seen where moving on and see what happens has gotten this franchise the past 32 years? Rinse and repeat fire sales. The latest piss-poor attempt lasted an entire 1 year and 2 months. This extends beyond the players on the field and David Bell though I have many faults with him, not sure there is a manager who is going to win big with the state of this current roster. The front office has a losing mindset and should sell out if you can't afford to do any better. Hell the Marlins have won 2 World Series, Arizona & Kansas City each one, Tampa Bay always competitive now and the Rockies were in the World Series since the Reds last won a playoff series in 1995. I can only hope for the sake of the Reds as a fan other owners will pressure the league into assigning someone to change the direction of this franchise like the NBA owners did with Jerry Colangelo in Philadelphia.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CB3UK
Take it for what it's worth, but FanGraphs has our fWAR after all these trades at 77 wins. We won 83 last year.

Williamson does sound like a good pickup. Solano does too.

Petty could be but an 18 yr old drafted last year for Sonny....doesn't help us for 4 yrs at least.

My personal view is go young and go all in. Bring up Greene and Lodolo. If that means no Johnny Cueto reunion tour so be it. Barrero at SS. This nonsense of putting him in the outfield is asinine. We signed Ace Frehley from the Mariners....run him out there with Senzel and Naquin in the outfield.

We still need a backup catcher.

Reactions: Jdhays21
D'Backs finished 55 games out of 1st place in their division in '21. Will the'22 Reds do better?

Take it for what it's worth, but FanGraphs has our fWAR after all these trades at 77 wins. We won 83 last year.

Williamson does sound like a good pickup. Solano does too.

Petty could be but an 18 yr old drafted last year for Sonny....doesn't help us for 4 yrs at least.

My personal view is go young and go all in. Bring up Greene and Lodolo. If that means no Johnny Cueto reunion tour so be it. Barrero at SS. This nonsense of putting him in the outfield is asinine. We signed Ace Frehley from the Mariners....run him out there with Senzel and Naquin in the outfield.

We still need a backup catcher.
Thought I saw where Fraley "hit" .197 in parts of the last 3 years of limited ML play. Senzel, for his part, had something like 80% of his '21 hits as singles before yet another injury. Do like Naquin, nice lefty swing/decent arm, but he's probably just a serviceable ML journeyman player. Good luck with that OF.

Thought I saw where Fraley "hit" .197 in parts of the last 3 years of limited ML play. Senzel, for his part, had something like 80% of his '21 hits as singles before yet another injury. Do like Naquin, nice lefty swing/decent arm, but he's probably just a serviceable ML journeyman player. Good luck with that OF.
Yep.....which is why we go and sign another corner infielder today.
Castellanos - Former 3B
Moustakas - Former/Current 3B
India - Former 3B
Senzel - Former 3B
Moran - 3B
Solano - 3B
Farmer - Plays some 3B
Positionless baseball is where the sport is headed boys

I enjoyed Johnny Cueto during his time as a Cincinnati Red and should have gotten paid Homer's money. He should be a 4 or 5 on a contender, not in a rebuild. I'm struggling to understand why they would replace 2 veteran pitchers with 2 over the hill pitchers that are always on the IL now. Since this is the direction of the franchise now, it's delaying the development for some of the following Greene, Lodolo, Sanmartin and even Santillan if his future is as a starter. There is no place for Mike Minor or Jeff Hoffman 😆 on this team. If you need a lefty, that's why you have Reiver Sanmartin.
The only thing that worries me about Greene snd Lodolo is their ability to navigate an entire season without hitting a wall. Neither has pitched a full season 150-160+ innings. If both of them are in the rotation this year they really need a 6th starter to let each of them get an extended rest after every third or fourth start.

Reactions: mrschwump
The only thing that worries me about Greene snd Lodolo is their ability to navigate an entire season without hitting a wall. Neither has pitched a full season 150-160+ innings. If both of them are in the rotation this year they really need a 6th starter to let each of them get an extended rest after every third or fourth start.
Castillo, Mahle, Gutierrez, Lodolo, Santillan, Greene, San Martin is 7 and without adding washed up Mike Minor for 8 starters already. Everyone is going to hit the rookie wall, it's inevitable. Best to get it out of the way instead of dealing with it in 2023. No franchise will send their young starters out for 30 + starts as a rookie without skipping starts. Plus, September call ups when they're 35 games out of 1st place. The Reds are going to lose in 2022 anyway and I'd rather develop the young pitchers throughout the season instead of delaying the future. Cincinnati needs to commit to the starters they have, not bring in any more dead weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: maysvilleky
Castillo, Mahle, Gutierrez, Lodolo, Santillan, Greene, San Martin is 7 and without adding washed up Mike Minor for 8 starters already. Everyone is going to hit the rookie wall, it's inevitable. Best to get it out of the way instead of dealing with it in 2023. No franchise will send their young starters out for 30 + starts as a rookie without skipping starts. Plus, September call ups when they're 35 games out of 1st place. The Reds are going to lose in 2022 anyway and I'd rather develop the young pitchers throughout the season instead of delaying the future. Cincinnati needs to commit to the starters they have, not bring in any more dead weight.
We'll see how it works out but I see Santillan/San Martin as bullpen guys. Not sure either has enough stuff to face guys 3 or 4 times and get outs.

We'll see how it works out but I see Santillan/San Martin as bullpen guys. Not sure either has enough stuff to face guys 3 or 4 times and get outs.
There really was no place for Santillan in the rotation last year and I expect he'll get his chances to start before it's all settled, especially when the rotation is gutted with Castillo & Mahle. Haven't seen anything to suggest Sanmartin can't start here long term. He impressed in his MLB Debut last year, followed it up with another excellent start and gives the rotation a lefty.

Reactions: trueblujr2
There really was no place for Santillan in the rotation last year and I expect he'll get his chances to start before it's all settled, especially when the rotation is gutted with Castillo & Mahle. Haven't seen anything to suggest Sanmartin can't start here long term. He impressed in his MLB Debut last year, followed it up with another excellent start and gives the rotation a lefty.
They'll get a shot, no question. And after Reds reach 12-15 games under .500 they'll move to dump Castillo/Mahle and that should happen by June. I like Sanmartin but need to see more starts. I'll stick with my Santillan to the pen prediction. He goes today BTW.

They'll get a shot, no question. And after Reds reach 12-15 games under .500 they'll move to dump Castillo/Mahle and that should happen by June. I like Sanmartin but need to see more starts. I'll stick with my Santillan to the pen prediction. He goes today BTW.
I'm all for each of our prospects to get the starts to prove themselves at the MLB level with the current state of the Reds in a rebuild mode. Not a proponent of delaying the future. The bullpen can always come later but I don't want to see another Danny Graves situation toying with him as a reliever, starting him years later and injuries started mounting up. We really have nothing to lose to find out what these guys are capable of long term. Can't ask much more from Sanmartin allowing 2 runs over 11 2/3 innings. At age 25 it's time to see what he's got. Santillan's 1st start was good all thing's considered it was the Rockies with 1 run and his start vs Atlanta 6 innings, 1 ER. It wouldn't bother me if the Reds held onto Mahle/Castillo until closer to the trade deadline instead of taking the 1st deal out there. Capitalize on your assets but I don't trust this FO can do that.

Reactions: mrschwump
Wouldn't mind seeing Aramis Garcia become the backup catcher over Mark Kolozsvary. Impressive yesterday with 2 home runs and a grand slam. Kolozsvary is a career .223 minor league hitter with 17 home runs. Him being on Team USA in Tokyo last year means nothing to me. Hardly any great stars ever participate unlike the WBC and most definitely not last year during the regular season.

I know money's money and Reds money is just as green as anybody's but I can't imagine any player worth his salt would want to play for the clown show that is the current FO/owners of the Reds unless that's their only option. It's just really sad and disheartening.
I agree. The last minute 'offer' they supposedly offered him was just a bunch of smoke to dupe us fans into believing they were actually trying after being in no contact with him leading up to signing with the Phillies. Glad to hear him call it for what it is. More of them should speak out. I appreciate the great words Suarez/Winker and others in the past have to say but it's time more guys like Nick speak the truth!

Last edited:
Reactions: trueblujr2
Tyler Mahle getting the nod on Opening Day. Looks like Castillo to miss his 1st start.

Yeah my buddy just called me and said were signing Pham. This a day after signing Dickinson. I like these moves!

Yeah my buddy just called me and said were signing Pham. This a day after signing Dickinson. I like these moves!
Wonder how much of a chance Elly De La Cruz has at making his MLB Debut at some point this year? Would be a hell of a jump from A Ball and they rarely bring up 20 year old kids but he's had a nice Spring so far.

Last edited:
Wonder how much of a chance Elly De La Cruz has at making his MLB Debut at some point this year? Would be a hell of a jump from A Ball and they rarely bring up 20 year old kids but he's had a nice Spring so far.

He just has "it" Braves fast tracked Acuña and Albies. No reason we can't do the same. Lord knows we've taken our sweet time with Hunter Greene.

Reactions: kybloo92
He just has "it" Braves fast tracked Acuña and Albies. No reason we can't do the same. Lord knows we've taken our sweet time with Hunter Greene.
They never do and it's been a damn problem the entire Castellini Era. Once again a trend the Reds fall behind in. Zero excuse for this organization almost always in rebuild mode to wait around so long with 24/25 year old rookies. We need our young phenom like a Harper, Soto, Trout, Correa etc.

They never do and it's been a damn problem the entire Castellini Era. Once again a trend the Reds fall behind in. Zero excuse for this organization almost always in rebuild mode to wait around so long with 24/25 year old rookies. We need our young phenom like a Harper, Soto, Trout, Correa etc.
Exactly. We bring India up and he wins ROTY. At some point you have to lean on the young guys to come up and come together. I'd rather take our lumps for a year or two while they gel than sign a bunch of stop gap guys or overpay and reach on a FA or sign someone on their way out past their prime.

Reactions: kybloo92
Exactly. We bring India up and he wins ROTY. At some point you have to lean on the young guys to come up and come together. I'd rather take our lumps for a year or two while they gel than sign a bunch of stop gap guys or overpay and reach on a FA or sign someone on their way out past their prime.
100% agree with you here! Tampa Bay should be the blueprint for all of these small market teams to go by.

They'll bury him in A ball for 5 years, bring him up for 20 games then give him away in a trade. This is the Reds we're talking about after all.

Lodolo is getting his second spring training start today, I think that's an indication they plan on slotting him in the rotation to start the season. With Castillo out for at least the first rotation, I could also see Greene in there, however, I can see Greene bouncing back and forth between Louisville and Cincy this year before cementing himself next year. I still worry about his longevity throwing 100+ mph heat after having Tommy John surgery. I wondered if he would eventually go the route of Aroldis Chapman and be a lockdown closer at some point. I do kinda like the addition of Hunter Strickland to the back end of the rotation. a career 3.11 ERA is nothing to sneeze at.

At what point does Elly De LaCruz pass up Barrero?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT