ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

Bit of a stretch to say 2 catchers need to be in the lineup most days. Stephenson getting an occasional day off from behind the plate at 1B/DH and one of them at catcher then, sure! Not sure how you draw the conclusion that Casali makes it more unlikely Votto to get any ABs at DH, going to be 40 in September coming off surgery for a torn rotator cuff. If anything, quite the opposite and now room for CES to be called up at some point in 2023. These moves make sense if done to protect one of their best players Stephenson to preserve his bat with regular rest days, less wear and tear and to finally bring up deserving prospects who need to be called up in 2023 with Moose gone.

At no time during the 2020 season when the Reds had Casali, Stephenson & Barnhart did any 2 consistently see playing time at the same time in the lineup at other positions. Maile & Casali aren't exactly known for their bats and can't see them employed regularly at 1B/DH while Stephenson is catching. May as well kept Moustakas than to trot out that lineup most days with both Casali & Maile at C and DH as that lineup serves no purpose offensively. When Stephenson doesn't catch, he's logged 24 games at 1B, 6 at DH. When not starting at catcher, freeing him up at one those spots sliding Votto over however Bell decides is the best offensive lineup and gets playing time for 2 backups at catcher who know the reality of the situation they are in as reserves. If Cincinnati still plans to use Votto predominantly at 1B, I don't see how it has anything to do with the need to get Casali or Maile ABs at DH.

More of a chance Cincinnati starts 2023 off with the awful lineup they ended 2022 with before playing any 2 catchers at once most days when you consider the rest of the IF with Steer, India, Barrero, Senzel in the super utility role, Newman, Votto or to protect Stephenson from the daily grind as he was used last year. Even Myers logged 25 starts at 1B and will get breaks from the OF at 32. A rotation of players will likely get 1B/DH at-bats than any one player dominating the positions. I don't blame Cincinnati for playing it safe adding a couple of veteran catchers after the disastrous season behind the plate but we'll see if the season ends with all 3 or not.
1 more player taking ABs at DH. They didn’t sign them to set on the bench. They have to play somewhere.

My guess as to the Reds opening day roster as of now. I still think there is a chance we sign a pitcher

C- Tyler Stephenson
1B- Joey Votto
2B- Jonathan India
SS- Jose Barrero
3B- Spencer Steer
RF- Wil Myers
CF- Nick Senzel
LF- Jake Fraley

C- Luke Maile
C- Curt Casali
BN- Nic Solac
BN- TJ Friedl
BN- Kevin Newman

I think Reynolds will be placed on waivers. He has no options. Someone will probably claim him.

I think Alejo Lopez and Matt Reynolds will be optioned to Louisville. It’s possible Maile is placed on waivers but I doubt it. At least untill we see how Vottos health is.

SP- Nick Lodolo
SP- Hunter Greene
SP- Graham Ashcraft
SP- Louis Cessa
SP- Justin Dunn

I think Cessa, Dunn and Overton are fighting for the last 2 spots, unless they sign a starter in free agency. If Dunn or Cessa don’t get a starters job, I think they go to the pen. If Overton don’t get it, I think he goes to a Louisville to keep him stretched out.

RP- TeJay Antone
RP- Lucas Simms
RP- Alexis Diaz
RP- Reiver SanMartin
RP- Tony Santillan
RP- Buck Farmer
RP- Ian Gibaut
RP- Joel Kuhnel

I doubt all these guys are ready to start the season with being out injured last season. Other players on the 40 that could come up are Fernando Cruz and Ricky Karcher. Silvino Bracho and Daniel Duarte could also be given a look.

1 more player taking ABs at DH. They didn’t sign them to set on the bench. They have to play somewhere.
DH was not the reason they brought Casali in for. Catching depth. Nothing else. He has never been a full-time starting catcher/DH and is on the downside of his career. There is no logic behind a .203 hitter in Casali, .221 in Maile getting the majority of ABs at DH. That level of offensive production is one of the main reasons Moustakas is gone for those numbers. If he was productive when not injured, he would still be a Red regardless of the contract. The Reds have to pay his ridiculous contract out for 2023 anyway with the 2024 buyout. Essentially dropped one bad player in Moustakas, replaced him with a player in a position that was lacking in 2022 at catcher with Curt so it is not really 1 more player taking ABs that Mike wouldn't have already hogged. Just frees up for others. Just because they are on the roster does not mean they are guaranteed starting roles elsewhere. Glad Curt is back and signed a former UK catcher in Maile but lets not get carried away overstating their value as more than backup catchers. Some teams do carry 3 catchers, it's not unheard of.

Last edited:
Reactions: KYExtemper
Why dump Senzel? He’s not blocking anyone and don’t cost much. No reason to give up on him now. Especially if we are going with 3 catchers. Only leaves room for 3 bench players. Senzel can play infield and outfield.

Cassili signing probably makes even less chance for Votto to DH. 3 catchers, none with ootions. You have to figure 2 of them will be in the lineup most days at either Carcher, DH or 1B
Senzel's a flop, a Top 5 pick that's turned into a singles hitter and not a very good one at that. As a CF he's horrible...average at best arm, takes poor angles on balls, either throws to wrong base or totally misses cut off. Only position he could play is 3B but he'll never, ever hit enough to be a ML 3B. Problem for the Reds is he has no trade value, they'd be lucky to get a Low A reliever for him.

Would like for Reds to put together something for Bryan Reynolds. He's the CF they haven't had in years.

DH was not the reason they brought Casali in for. Catching depth. Nothing else. He has never been a full-time starting catcher/DH and is on the downside of his career. There is no logic behind a .203 hitter in Casali, .221 in Maile getting the majority of ABs at DH. That level of offensive production is one of the main reasons Moustakas is gone for those numbers. If he was productive when not injured, he would still be a Red regardless of the contract. The Reds have to pay his ridiculous contract out for 2023 anyway with the 2024 buyout. Essentially dropped one bad player in Moustakas, replaced him with a player in a position that was lacking in 2022 at catcher with Curt so it is not really 1 more player taking ABs that Mike wouldn't have already hogged. Just frees up for others. Just because they are on the roster does not mean they are guaranteed starting roles elsewhere. Glad Curt is back and signed a former UK catcher in Maile but lets not get carried away overstating their value as more than backup catchers. Some teams do carry 3 catchers, it's not unheard of.
I think they brought in the 3rd catcher to give Stevenson more time at DH

When Tyler Stephenson isn’t catching, he needs to be DH’ing or playing 1B. He needs to be in the lineup every day. If all was good in the world TS would be playing 1B more than catching and Votto being the DH.

I think they brought in the 3rd catcher to give Stevenson more time at DH
Or 1st Base. Either way. Like I was saying brought in for catching depth and to preserve Stephenson's bat. Both Votto/Stephenson coming off significant injuries and the Reds have to play it safe.

Casali allows us to use TySteve at 1B and DH some. That's why he's here.

Why dump Senzel? He’s not blocking anyone and don’t cost much. No reason to give up on him now. Especially if we are going with 3 catchers. Only leaves room for 3 bench players. Senzel can play infield and outfield.
I'm fine with holding onto Senzel for those reasons that he gives you position versatility which I wish the Reds had more of in the system. As far as him ever being a solid MLB contributor as a starter, for many reasons some to do with injuries/vertigo it just never worked. In the boat that I can't listen to the Reds broadcast crew pump him up in ST about his bat coming to life over pedestrian numbers against pitchers in Feb/March and just never pans out in the regular season. I had hopes in the summer something was coming together when he had a solid month hitting around .300 raising the average up to about .250. Just can't ever sustain it. The planned super utility role we've heard about is his ceiling.

Late Night Reds Talk with Nick Kirby and Clay Snowden discussing who they think will be on the 2024 Reds

Just read that Senzel's still in a boot, broken foot hasn't healed. Reds will never get rid of this guy.

Needs to carry that momentum over into the 2023 MILB season. Still a lot to be desired with Vellojin but this is encouraging to see. Glad he is still in the Reds organization and not get taken in the Rule 5.

Reactions: Cats8585
Here is a link to my Facebook group”Cincinnati Reds Farm System” if anyone is interested. There are almost 4000 members including a couple players and a lot of players family members. Check it out if you are interested.

Reactions: Cats8585
Would rather roll with Luis Cessa & Connor Overton which the Reds probably still do anyway than sign someone like Luke Weaver. Can easily slide Cessa & Overton back to the bullpen, have them stretched out and give prospects an opportunity to make their debut in 2023. Wanted Cueto. Weaver certainly is not an 'innings eater' only topping 66 innings once in his career 5 years ago. Brewers signed Miley for a base salary of $3.5 million, Weaver $2 million.

Would rather roll with Luis Cessa & Connor Overton which the Reds probably still do anyway than sign someone like Luke Weaver. Can easily slide Cessa & Overton back to the bullpen, have them stretched out and give prospects an opportunity to make their debut in 2023. Wanted Cueto. Weaver certainly is not an 'innings eater' only topping 66 innings once in his career 5 years ago. Brewers signed Miley for a base salary of $3.5 million, Weaver $2 million.
I have a question: Is Ashcraft healthy? His last month of '22 was a huge struggle.

Reds have made zero off season moves to indicate they're interested in moving past 100+ losses.

Jan 15, '23....minor league rosters are starting to come out. If you're near Chattanooga or near a Southern League town you might want to check out the Lookouts early. Lots of prospects on their roster, several could be moving after a month-6 weeks.

People can say whatever they want about Schott and she isn't without fault saying stupid shit but helped revive the Reds in the mid-80s, brought back a World Series and probably going to be the last one for a long time. Haven't been the same since her banishment and continue to spiral downward since Carl Lindner took over. My problem now solely lies within the Reds ownership these days. Can only blame players and managers so much for the product on the field.

Reactions: KY_Kid
Any of you guys ever been to Spring Training?

Going to be down in Florida visiting my wife’s family the last week of February. So, we're going to go check out the Cardinals and Mets camp. My son really wants to meet Nolan Arenado. So, we're going to get to the parks very early both days for practice and hopefully he can get up close with a couple guys. He's more excited about practice than the games.

I've never been to Spring Training, and it's surprisingly difficult to find many specifics on how to have the best experience.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT