ADVERTISEMENT

Reds

I wouldn’t bring EDLC up until September. He had a 32% K rate last season. There are legit reasons to keep him down. No reason to start his clock when the Reds ain’t contending. We already lost a year of control of Greene and Lodolo for nothing.
Completely disagree. Get on with the future and stop delaying the inevitable. Waiting until September is such a Reds thing to do but even I don't think they keep him down that long. Not contending is a perfect time develop him, move along the prospects in the lower levels and get a jump start on 2024. Just nitpicking reasons to keep him in MILB at this point.

Completely disagree. Get on with the future and stop delaying the inevitable. Waiting until September is such a Reds thing to do but even I don't think they keep him down that long. Not contending is a perfect time develop him, move along the prospects in the lower levels and get a jump start on 2024. Just nitpicking reasons to keep him in MILB at this point.
I would rather have him on the team in 2029 than 2023. If A+ and AA pitchers struck DLC out at a 32% rate, what do you think major league pitchers would do to him? He’s not ready. You saw what bringing Barrero up to early did to him. Why would you want to repeat the same mistake?

I would rather have him on the team in 2029 than 2023. If A+ and AA pitchers struck DLC out at a 32% rate, what do you think major league pitchers would do to him? He’s not ready. You saw what bringing Barrero up to early did to him. Why would you want to repeat the same mistake?
2029 LMFAO!!! You were above just telling us how he tore up winter ball and now he's not ready? Jose Barrero has nothing to do with the growth and development of ELDC. Jose never hit 28 home runs, 86 RBIs and steal 47 bases coming up through the pipeline.
If you wasn’t in such a hurry to be a smart ass you would have seen that I said he could come up as a 3B and move to 1B when Votto was gone.
And if you weren't stuck on yourself, I simply said there is not enough room for him at 3B without cutting PT for deserving prospects like Steer and others on this team. You've came in here and been nothing but a know it all thinking you have to explain to everyone how baseball works as if none of us started watching the Reds before 2022.

I wouldn’t bring EDLC up until September. He had a 32% K rate last season. There are legit reasons to keep him down. No reason to start his clock when the Reds ain’t contending. We already lost a year of control of Greene and Lodolo for nothing.
Last thing I'm concerned about is the clock on these guys because the Reds are too cheap to resign them. Get play out of them now. They've already drug their feet with Stevenson, should've resigned him by now as he's about all they have left of any value.

2029 LMFAO!!! You were above just telling us how he tore up winter ball and now he's not ready? Jose Barrero has nothing to do with the growth and development of ELDC. Jose never hit 28 home runs, 86 RBIs and steal 47 bases coming up through the pipeline.

And if you weren't stuck on yourself, I simply said there is not enough room for him at 3B without cutting PT for deserving prospects like Steer and others on this team. You've came in here and been nothing but a know it all thinking you have to explain to everyone how baseball works as if none of us started watching the Reds before

And if you weren't stuck on yourself, I simply said there is not enough room for him at 3B without cutting PT for deserving prospects like Steer and others on this team. You've came in here and been nothing but a know it all thinking you have to explain to everyone how baseball works as if none of us started watching the Reds before 2022.
The reason I explained everything is that I was reposting posts I made in my Facebook group. And if you think that since DLC tore it up in winter league ball that he can hit major league pitching, I probably need to explain in more depth for you. Unfortunately, I don’t have the time or crayons to explain to you so I’ll just put you on ignore.

The reason I explained everything is that I was reposting posts I made in my Facebook group. And if you think that since DLC tore it up in winter league ball that he can hit major league pitching, I probably need to explain in more depth for you. Unfortunately, I don’t have the time or crayons to explain to you so I’ll just put you on ignore.
200w.gif

This is another post that I made in my group. It’s long. If you ain’t interested in posts like this let me know

This is my top 10

1. Elly De La Cruz. AA
304/359/586/945
7.8 BB%, 30.8 SO%, 28 HR, 47 SB

Elly is the clear choice at #1. One of the best prospects in baseball

2. Noelvi Marte A+
279/371/458/829
11.3 BB%, 20.6 SO%, 19 HR, 23 SB

3. Edwin Arroyo A-
293/366/480/846
8.7 BB%, 23.3 SO%, 14 HR, 27 SB

4. Cam Collier ACL 370/514/630/1.144
20.0 BB%, 17.1 K%, 2 HR, 0 SB

I think 2,3,4 are grouped pretty tight. I put Marte #2 because he has produced at a higher level than Arroyo and Collier. I could understand if someone had Arroyo higher. I had a hard time choosing myself. He is a great defender and will stick at SS where Marte probably won’t. I just couldn’t put Collier ahead of the other two when he’s barely played. He was the clear #4 for me.

5. Chase Petty A+
25 G, 98.1 IP, 31 BB, 96 SO, 3.48 ERA, 1.17 WHIP

6. Christian Encarnacion Strand AA
304/368/587/955
7.4 BB%, 25.5 SO%, 32 HR, 8 SB

7. Spencer Steer ML
262 353/481/834
10.3 BB%, 19.2 SO%, 25 HR, 4 SB

8. Matt Mclain AA
229/367/443/810
16.4 BB%, 27.3 SO%, 17 HR, 28 SB

9. Connor Phillips AA 24 G, 109.2 IP, 66 BB, 150 SO, 3.78 ERA, 1.40 WHIP

5-9 were grouped close for me. A lot depends on what you value more, a high floor or a high ceiling. Do you think CES can stick at 3B or is he strictly a 1B or DH?

I went Petty at 5 high ground ball rate and has great stuff. I think CES can stick at 3B, don’t necessarily mean that’s where I think he ends up but I think he can stay there. He had 21 errors in 51 games last season at A+ before being promoted to AA. After reaching AA he had 2 errors in 23 games at 3B. None after being acquired by the Reds. I think Steer and McLain are about as safe a bet as you will find to play in the major leagues for a long time. Not sure either will ever be stars but who knows. Who thought India was going to win the ROY? I can’t believe I have Phillips as low as I do at #9. Great stuff. Has a chance to be a top of the rotation pitcher for a lot of years. Has to cut down on his walk rate. It’s not horrible tho

10. Brandon Williamson AAA
27 G, 122.2 IP, 77 BB, 123 SO, 4.11 ERA, 1.56 WHIP

I have Brandon Williamson 10th. Last season wasn’t great for him. He walked a lot more than he ever had in his career. Hopefully he can turn it back around next season. I still like him a lot as a prospect. Him being this low tells you how good the Reds system is. For those of you wondering, I also considered Andrew Abbott and Sal Stewart at #10 before deciding on Williamson

This is another post that I made in my group. It’s long. If you ain’t interested in posts like this let me know

This is my top 10

1. Elly De La Cruz. AA
304/359/586/945

2. Noelvi Marte A+
279/371/458/829

3. Edwin Arroyo A-
293/366/480/846

I think 2,3,4 are grouped pretty tight. I put Marte #2 because he has produced at a higher level than Arroyo and Collier. I could understand if someone had Arroyo higher. I had a hard time choosing myself. He is a great defender and will stick at SS where Marte probably won’t. I just couldn’t put Collier ahead of the other two when he’s barely played. He was the clear #4 for me.

5. Chase Petty A+

304/368/587/955

7. Spencer Steer ML
262 353/481/834

8. Matt Mclain AA
229/367/443/810

5-9 were grouped close for me. A lot depends on what you value more, a high floor or a high ceiling. Do you think CES can stick at 3B or is he strictly a 1B or DH?

I went Petty at 5 high ground ball rate and has great stuff. I think CES can stick at 3B, don’t necessarily mean that’s where I think he ends up but I think he can stay there. He had 21 errors in 51 games last season at A+ before being promoted to AA. After reaching AA he had 2 errors in 23 games at 3B. None after being acquired by the Reds. I think Steer and McLain are about as safe a bet as you will find to play in the major leagues for a long time. Not sure either will ever be stars but who knows. Who thought India was going to win the ROY? I can’t believe I have Phillips as low as I do at #9. Great stuff. Has a chance to be a top of the rotation pitcher for a lot of years. Has to cut down on his walk rate. It’s not horrible tho

I have Brandon Williamson 10th. Last season wasn’t great for him. He walked a lot more than he ever had in his career. Hopefully he can turn it back around next season. I still like him a lot as a prospect. Him being this low tells you how good the Reds system is. For those of you wondering, I also considered Andrew Abbott and Sal Stewart at #10 before deciding on Williamson
I'm curious, why isn't McGarry more highly regarded? He's a college hitter who put up pretty good numbers yet isn't Top 30. What's holding him back?

McGarry could get a shot at 1B too. Reds are really hurting in the OF with very limited MLB talent there plus the higher minor league team are lagging also. Reds best OF talent is in low minors, probably at least 3 years away.

Verlander to Mets, Turner to Phillies. Reds sign...................................
Certainly won't be Cody Bellinger. Looks like my dream of Conforto is unlikely as some contending teams are showing interest. Can't blame him for going to a winner. A Duvall reunion or Wil Myers signing to bounce back and pad his stats at GABP for a season would still make me happy. One of them, McGarry, Fraley, Siani or another prospect like Hopkins would be decent for the shape the roster is in. Going to need to buyout Votto/Moose options for 2024 before Cincinnati has money to be a player on the FA market.

Reactions: mrschwump
I'm curious, why isn't McGarry more highly regarded? He's a college hitter who put up pretty good numbers yet isn't Top 30. What's holding him back?
To me, he’s probably 20-25. I saw him a n a too 20 list before the trades last year. Without looking up his stats, I think his K rate was about 32%. And his walk rate was below average. I can’t remember exactly what. You can live with that for a player like EDLC but not a 1B. He will have to cut down on his K rate to advance. If I remember right, it dropped after he moved to AAA so there is a chance.

This is my top 10

1. Elly De La Cruz. AA
304/359/586/945

2. Noelvi Marte A+
279/371/458/829

3. Edwin Arroyo A-
293/366/480/846

5. Chase Petty A+

304/368/587/955

7. Spencer Steer ML
262 353/481/834

8. Matt Mclain AA
229/367/443/810

Interesting post and like the rankings. Hoping we see Stout already 25 and Williamson make their MLB Debuts to fill out the 4-5 spots of the rotation. There is a lot of depth in the organization now especially with starting pitching. One area Krall did well in with the offseason trades last year and at the deadline. Lodolo, Greene, Petty, Phillips and Abbott among others will give the Reds a strong rotation for years to come. Hope Ashcraft bounces back fully healthy in 2023.

I still feel like Cincinnati will have to trade some of these infielders and go get an outfielder or a catcher to preserve Stephenson's bat. Even before the broken collarbone, I've wanted him moved from behind the plate with his bat so he isn't like Mauer or Posey retiring early. So long term I think you have to play CES at 1B, Stephenson eventually moved to DH. Want to keep Steer at 3B for now and hope something clicks with Barrero in Puerto Rico after putting in work with McKeithan. If it doesn't, ready to move on to McLain & ELDC. I thought it was interesting that you mentioned Marte at RF because I feel like some of these infielders need to be utilized in the OF like Trevor Story, Jeff McNeil etc. It's just the nature of the game these days with your most athletic players having position versatility.

Certainly won't be Cody Bellinger. Looks like my dream of Conforto is unlikely as some contending teams are showing interest. Can't blame him for going to a winner. A Duvall reunion or Wil Myers signing to bounce back and pad his stats at GABP for a season would still make me happy. One of them, McGarry, Fraley, Siani or another prospect like Hopkins would be decent for the shape the roster is in. Going to need to buyout Votto/Moose options for 2024 before Cincinnati has money to be a player on the FA market.
I would like to see Hopkins on the roster. I think he’s a 4-5 outfielder like the other outfielders that are on the 40 man roster but he actually hits for power. Also RH so he would be a good platoon option to go with Fraley or Friedl

I would like to see Hopkins on the roster. I think he’s a 4-5 outfielder like the other outfielders that are on the 40 man roster but he actually hits for power. Also RH so he would be a good platoon option to go with Fraley or Friedl
His power does intrigue me and would love to see him finally get his chance in Cincinnati this year.

Interesting post and like the rankings. Hoping we see Stout already 25 and Williamson make their MLB Debuts to fill out the 4-5 spots of the rotation. There is a lot of depth in the organization now especially with starting pitching. One area Krall did well in with the offseason trades last year and at the deadline. Lodolo, Greene, Petty, Phillips and Abbott among others will give the Reds a strong rotation for years to come. Hope Ashcraft bounces back fully healthy in 2023.

I still feel like Cincinnati will have to trade some of these infielders and go get an outfielder or a catcher to preserve Stephenson's bat. Even before the broken collarbone, I've wanted him moved from behind the plate with his bat so he isn't like Mauer or Posey retiring early. So long term I think you have to play CES at 1B, Stephenson eventually moved to DH. Want to keep Steer at 3B for now and hope something clicks with Barrero in Puerto Rico after putting in work with McKeithan. If it doesn't, ready to move on to McLain & ELDC. I thought it was interesting that you mentioned Marte at RF because I feel like some of these infielders need to be utilized in the OF like Trevor Story, Jeff McNeil etc. It's just the nature of the game these days with your most athletic players having position versatili

I still feel like Cincinnati will have to trade some of these infielders and go get an outfielder or a catcher to preserve Stephenson's bat. Even before the broken collarbone, I've wanted him moved from behind the plate with his bat so he isn't like Mauer or Posey retiring early. So long term I think you have to play CES at 1B, Stephenson eventually moved to DH. Want to keep Steer at 3B for now and hope something clicks with Barrero in Puerto Rico after putting in work with McKeithan. If it doesn't, ready to move on to McLain & ELDC. I thought it was interesting that you mentioned Marte at RF because I feel like some of these infielders need to be utilized in the OF like Trevor Story, Jeff McNeil etc. It's just the nature of the game these days with your most athletic players having position versatility.
McLain played CF as a freshman in college, DLC is athletic enough to play anywhere. Steer or even India could play in the outfield. They are athletic enough.

I don’t see Stephenson moving away from catcher. He don’t want to and I don’t think we could make him. He would file a grievance and yiu could forget about resigning him. I don’t think Williamson, Abbot or Stoudt open the season in the rotation but could get there later in the season. Maybe after the All Star Break. I think Cessa, Dunn and Overton will fight for one spot and we sign a free agent for the other

McLain played CF as a freshman in college, DLC is athletic enough to play anywhere. Steer or even India could play in the outfield. They are athletic enough.

I don’t see Stephenson moving away from catcher. He don’t want to and I don’t think we could make him. He would file a grievance and yiu could forget about resigning him. I don’t think Williamson, Abbot or Stoudt open the season in the rotation but could get there later in the season. Maybe after the All Star Break. I think Cessa, Dunn and Overton will fight for one spot and we sign a free agent for the other
Dunn needs to be stretched out as a starter in ST still so that the Reds can skip some starts for Lodolo, Greene & Ashcraft to not over work them. Have to with Greene to preserve his arm with a TJ surgery already and the lengthy injuries for Nick & Graham in 2022. Throughout the season, Dunn would thrive in the role Jeff Hoffman had in middle relief, pitch a few innings when a starter gets run out early and a spot start. Cessa & Overton will still get their chances and good with an innings eater like Smyly or a Cueto reunion. A veteran pitcher like Smyly would be great to mentor these young starters.

Stephenson has definitely said he wants to remain a catcher but in all reality, another significant injury to his collarbone with screws holding him together could be the difference in a lengthy career or a forced move for his own good. Would be great to see some of these guys get some OF playing time and start with some of them still in MILB.

At what point does Cincinnati attempt to start playing these prospects in the outfield outside of the transition Rece Hinds has made? Many of us have been saying the Reds should move these guys and could use the position versatility with the depth of infielders. It would make sense to start it with those currently in the farm system before having to learn a new position at the MLB level and adjust to hitting ML pitching at the same time. McLain logged damn near as many starts in CF as he did at SS with UCLA. The Reds waited until MLB on Senzel and Barrero hadn't played the OF since Cuba until 2021 with the Reds.

Chucky Robinson and Jared Solomon just signed minor league deals with the Reds
Not shocked Cincinnati brought back Robinson. He could be the Corky Miller of this era in Reds baseball developing chemistry with the young starters coming through AAA and the 1st callup when a catcher is injured on the Reds.

DLC was the player of the year for the Reds. McGarry was hitter of the year and Andrew Abbott was pitcher of the year.

Lose 100 games and get 7th overall pick? SMH.
Definitely what I was afraid of happening with this draft lottery. I get why they have it though because of tanking but it's far from a perfect system. Tied with Pittsburgh at 62-100, Nats and A's had a worse record. Pit #1, Reds #7 :flush:

Last edited:
Rule 5 draft is at 5:00 today. These are the players I like the most. Sable is my favorite. We have 39 men on our 40 man roster so we can just take 1 unless someone is released or traded before then.

Ryan Noda, LA Dodgers, 1B/OF

Victor Vodnik, Atlanta Braves, RH Pitcher

Erik Miller, Philadelphia Phillies, LH pitcher

Blake Sable, Pittsburg Pirates, C/1B/LF, bats Left. Looks like he could be a great platoon to his with Stephenson.

Worth taking a flyer on I guess, lefty bat with some pop.

That’s the guy I wanted. LH bat to platoon with Stephenson. If he sticks at catcher, he will be a steal. If not, he could be a 4-5 corner outfielder with a little pop. He was actually better after moving to AAA. 25% K% and over a 10% BB rate.
Yes l like this pickup. Definitely room for a player like him with his versatility, the openings in the outfield and the season the Reds had at catcher.

Yes l like this pickup. Definitely room for a player like him with his versatility, the openings in the outfield and the season the Reds had at catcher.
Only thing is....poor guy must figure: "What did I do to deserve this, go from Pirates to Reds?"🤣

• Haha
Reactions: kybloo92
Makes sense, why would the Reds want a lefty hitter with power in a bandbox ballpark? More singles hitters please.
In the last week I’ve listened to several podcasts about this draft, looked at scouting reports on available players. Picked the guy I wanted and the Reds drafted him. Than that trade him away.

In the last week I’ve listened to several podcasts about this draft, looked at scouting reports on available players. Picked the guy I wanted and the Reds drafted him. Than that trade him away.
This guy appeared to be well worth the risk. Are the Reds owners so hard up for cash they dump this guy after about an hour? When will the owners/FO start building for the future?

This guy appeared to be well worth the risk. Are the Reds owners so hard up for cash they dump this guy after about an hour? When will the owners/FO start building for the future?
Every time this franchise takes one step forward, 2 steps back whenever you try to see the positive in a move made by a FO. Just don't get it. A catcher who can play in the outfield with power and ditch him??? Come on Cincinnati!

Every time this franchise takes one step forward, 2 steps back whenever you try to see the positive in a move made by a FO. Just don't get it. A catcher who can play in the outfield with power and ditch him??? Come on Cincinnati!
Don't think they care about winning. I guess somehow, I don't know how it works, but somehow, someway these businessmen/owners are getting tax breaks by owning a team and that is all they care about. I've already resigned myself to the fact the Reds are heading for another 100+ loss season in '23.

ADVERTISEMENT