ADVERTISEMENT

Reds are showing signs of life; 11 gms back in loss column of 3rd NL WC w/still 73 gms to play

Yep. Hoffman is a fricken gas can but we keep using him in high leverage situations; he has a career 5.60 ERA ffs. I was impressed with our starting pitching in the Yankees series, only to see our bullpen blow up. We’re 34-55 and the playoffs are a pipe dream. Yes, we’ve won 7 of 8, but we could lose 7 of 8 just as easily. Votto has been awful, but he did get a clutch hit in the eighth inning last night. I think 75 wins is the absolute ceiling for this group. #ATOBTTR
No way they win 41 more games.

Cincinnati is finally healthy and it shows, winners of 8 of 12 and 6 of 7 and of those 8 wins 7 have come v current playoff teams including taking a series 2 to 1 in the Bronx over the best team in baseball the Yankees.

The Reds play 6 straight v the Cards starting tonight. No way should Castellini deal anyone right now, esp. with trade deadline not until Aug. 2.

I think he will wait and see what happens v. St. Louis. If Reds take 4 of the 6 games or better and gain ground on the 3rd WC in the process I think Castellini not only keeps Castillo but trys to add a pitcher or 2.

Mahle and Dunn will be ready after the break and Reds schedule is much more conducive to making an historic run in Aug and Sept. Put Minor and Dunn in the Pen and if you keep Castillo and Mahle who Castillini has under contract thru next season anyway, albeit arbitration eligible and the Reds are looking at a 2nd half rotation of: Castillo, Mahle, Ashcraft, Lodolo and Greene and a shored up BP especially when Warren and Santillian get back. Hell, Castillini wouldnt even have to spend at the TDL.

32 yrs since last WS and 27 yrs since last playoff series win is absurd. How many more wait until next year do Reds fans have to endure?
Injuries, 17 of 25 on the road v playoff teams to start the season and for much of the rest to this point caused the 3-22 start.

Since then, despite a brutal schedule and tons of injuries to players that are now healthy (India and Stephenson primarily) the Reds are just 2 games under .500 at 31-33.

Reds are done with Dodgers, Braves, Padres, Giants, Yankees, Rays and Jays.
Only have 3 left with Mets.

Over the last 73 games the Reds will have to travel no further west than St.Louis Missouri.

These next 6 v the Cards could change things and make the Reds buyers instead
of sellers!

PS I work with an Attorney that is a Yankee fan and he came by my office and said: “You guys (the Reds) are mean! “ He also said, “Votto killed the Yankees.” LFG!

Speaking as a lifelong Reds/Bengals fan who waited from the age of 8 to 41 in order to see the Bengals in a Super Bowl again....we will wait.

The sad thing is Cincinnati is one of the best sports towns in American when things are good. City is absolutely electric

• Love
Reactions: jameslee32
Typical Reds season...
iu

My cardinals are tea bagging the dead reds back into the dark ages this weekend. Dream on OP

Remember when Stan Musial stayed back a couple years to win a couple WS against farmers and the once retired players while the rest of the stars of the game went to Europe to fight in the war?

I remember

• Love
Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
Remember when Stan Musial stayed back a couple years to win a couple WS against farmers and the once retired players while the rest of the stars of the game went to Europe to fight in the war?

I remember

I remember when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

Speaking as a lifelong Reds/Bengals fan who waited from the age of 8 to 41 in order to see the Bengals in a Super Bowl again....we will wait.

The sad thing is Cincinnati is one of the best sports towns in American when things are good. City is absolutely electric
I noticed the same thing when Indy teams have been good. Something about that size market, I think. Fans appreciate their small teams being good and getting to the big stage. The Reggie Miller teams were awesome! Indy was absolutely electric, and every single person knew about every game. Same with the Peyton Colts. Fun times indeed.

Reactions: HagginHall1999

I remember
Musial served in the Navy during WWII.

More currently, do you remember when Yadi played in and won more playoff games than the Reds have in their entire franchise history?

More currently, do you remember when Yadi played in and won more playoff games than the Reds have in their entire franchise history?
I know he did but he also won WS in ‘42 and ‘44 while most of the good players had already gone to war? Why did he wait?

did Yadi cry and bitch the whole time? That’s an easy yes

need me to explain it to your son?

Pretty crazy stat. Of course he does play in the wild card era. I mean he has played in and won more *playoff* games than Babe Ruth too.

Stellar career. Top 10 catcher all time probably.

Last edited:
Pretty crazy stat. Of course he does play in the wild card era. I mean he has played in and won more games than Babe Ruth too.

Stellar career. Top 10 catcher all time probably.
Easily top 10. Probably top 5.

Easily top 10. Probably top 5.

What? You sound like Morg 🤣

Probably Top 10...meaning fringe. Great career but can't get on board with Top 5.

Bench
Fisk
Munson
Berra
Pudge
Carter
Piazza

All are undoubtedly better and that is just in the last 80 years. Guys like Mickey Cochrane too...

Posey and Mauer are both there with him during his era as well.

Last edited:
What? You sound like Morg.

Probably Top 10...meaning fringe. Great career but can't get on board with Top 5.
Get outta here. 3rd most gold gloves of any catcher … ever. Also this:

““Molina ranks first among catchers in putouts, second all-time among catchers with 130 Defensive Runs Saved (DRS), and is first among active catchers with 845 assists, 40.21% of runners caught stealing, and 55 pickoffs.””

So he’s easily one of if not THE best defensive catcher of all time. Not debatable on that side. He’s also amassed over 2,000 hits in his career and come up clutch in multiple at bats in playoff situations. I guess it depends on how you weigh offense versus defense from the catcher’s position. I’d take Yadi 100 times out of 100 over an offensive beast but so so defensive catcher like Mike Piazza. Yadi has taken away so many runs from opposing teams I’m willing to give up a little offense. He’s probably a top 5 catcher in my mind. Fringe top 10? Crazy talk.

Get outta here. 3rd most gold gloves of any catcher … ever. Also this:

@“Molina ranks first among catchers in putouts, second all-time among catchers with 130 Defensive Runs Saved (DRS), and is first among active catchers with 845 assists, 40.21% of runners caught stealing, and 55 pickoffs.””

So he’s easily one of if not THE best defensive catcher of all time. Not debatable on that side. He’s also amassed over 2,000 hits in his career and come up clutch in multiple at bats in playoff situations. I guess it depends on how you weigh offense versus defense from the catcher’s position. I’d take Tadi 100 times out of 100 over an offensive beast but so so defensive catcher like Mike Piazza. Yadi has taken away so many runs from opposing teams I’m willing to give up a little offense. He’s easily a top 5 catcher in my mind.

You are a Cardinals fan so that is fine. He is borderline top 10, just reality.

I will give you his defensive prowess, no doubt. That is what makes him borderline Top 10.

I know he did but he also won WS in ‘42 and ‘44 while most of the good players had already gone to war? Why did he wait?

did Yadi cry and bitch the whole time? That’s an easy yes

need me to explain it to your son?

The cardinals are way better than the reds and its not even close. You come off like a Louisville fan talking smack at uk basketball fans.

I'm not even sure Louisville fans would talk trash about a veteran of ww2 though just because he didn't get there as early as some other guys.

You are a Cardinals fan so that is fine. He is borderline top 10, just reality.

I will give you his defensive prowess, no doubt. That is what makes him borderline Top 10.
Definitely a Cardinal homer. No doubt. But I just value defense so much more than offense from the catcher’s position. And I’ve never seen a better defensive catcher.

Definitely a Cardinal homer. No doubt. But I just value defense so much more than offense from the catcher’s position. And I’ve never seen a better defensive catcher.

I understand, balance is key though.

I mean Piazza is obviously not known as a defensive wizard but he also hit like 250 more home runs than Molina.

Molina's throw out percentage is 17% higher than Piazza.

In fairness, I am a Reds, not Cardinals fan...but trying to be objective. The reality is Molina is a borderline HOF player...I think he should be in fwiw.

The Reds/Cards have one of the most intriguing who's better comps out there in Ozzie/Larkin.

I understand, balance is key though.

I mean Piazza is obviously not known as a defensive wizard but he also hit like 250 more home runs than Molina.

Molina's throw out percentage is 17% higher than Piazza.

In fairness, I am a Reds, not Cardinals fan...but trying to be objective. The reality is Molina is a borderline HOF player...I think he should be in fwiw.

The Reds/Cards have one of the most intriguing who's better comps out there in Ozzie/Larkin.
Borderline Hall of Famer? Yadi? Dude. Yadi is a lock for the Hall of Fame.

Borderline Hall of Famer? Yadi? Dude. Yadi is a lock for the Hall of Fame.

He would have the lowest JAWS by a long shot in history of modern baseball for catchers if he makes it in.

The average for position of all 16 HOF players is 44.2. Yadi is 35.4. He is less than Jason Kendall.

His chances are similar to Votto IMHO.

Votto is actually above the HOF average by 2pts for 1B.

Good read on Molina above.

Reactions: drew_ukfan
“”Jon Heyman of MLB Network said that Molina is a no-doubt Hall of Famer. Meanwhile, Bob Nightengale of USA Today says Molina “will make the Hall of Fame — and there should be no debate.”

Molina, 39, has the resume both statistically and professionally to warrant such declarative statements. He has hit .280/.331/.403 with 168 home runs and 983 RBI in 2,123 career games. He has made 10 career All-Star games while earning nine Gold Glove Awards, widely viewed as the best defensive catcher of this generation, perhaps even of all time””

Lock.

• Haha
“”Jon Heyman of MLB Network said that Molina is a no-doubt Hall of Famer. Meanwhile, Bob Nightengale of USA Today says Molina “will make the Hall of Fame — and there should be no debate.”

Molina, 39, has the resume both statistically and professionally to warrant such declarative statements. He has hit .280/.331/.403 with 168 home runs and 983 RBI in 2,123 career games. He has made 10 career All-Star games while earning nine Gold Glove Awards, widely viewed as the best defensive catcher of this generation, perhaps even of all time””

Lock.

Like I said, I think he should get in. This is semantics at this point...great player.

Reds fans talking shit on the cardinals is actually worse than Indiana fans talking shit on UK 😂

27 years since the last playoff win, I mean seriously rivals IU for irrelevance over the last 3 decades. Worse even.

Lock.
I’m sure he’ll get in, Harold Baines got in so anyone close to 40 WAR has a chance now but acting like he’s top 5 all time is ridiculous. 39th all time in OWAR for catchers, 31st in HRs.

career OPS+ is 96 lol, that’s below league average

I’m sure he’ll get in, Harold Baines got in so anyone close to 40 WAR has a chance now but acting like he’s top 5 all time is ridiculous. 39th all time in OWAR for catchers, 31st in HRs.

career OPS+ is 96 lol, that’s below league average
He’s a LOCK for the Hall of Fame. And it’s not because of his offense. It’s because he’s arguably the best defensive catcher of all-time, like I’ve said multiple times. I place a lot more value on a catcher’s defense than their offense, and Yadi is the best defensive catcher I’ve ever seen. Period.

ozzie smith OPS+ Career is 87. Dude wouldn’t sniff the field if he played in todays era where defensive shifts and positioning takes the need for range way down

cool backflips tho

He’s a LOCK for the Hall of Fame. And it’s not because of his offense. It’s because he’s arguably the best defensive catcher of all-time, like I’ve said multiple times. I place a lot more value on a catcher’s defense than their offense, and Yadi is the best defensive catcher I’ve ever seen. Period.
I’m sure you do put a lot more value in that because it helps your argument. Pudge is a better defensive catcher and that’s probably it but Yadis offense isn’t good so he can’t be elite at the position. You have to play both sides. Thats baseball. Period

ozzie smith OPS+ Career is 87. Dude wouldn’t sniff the field if he played in todays era where defensive shifts and positioning takes the need for range way down

cool backflips tho
Look man, I like you and think you’re a pretty smart guy. But don’t make a fool of yourself here. The Reds aren’t historically or presently on the same planet as the Cardinals as a franchise.

Ozzie was shit as a hitter, no doubt.

I’m sure you do put a lot more value in that because it helps your argument. Pudge is a better defensive catcher and that’s probably it but Yadis offense isn’t good so he can’t be elite at the position. You have to play both sides. Thats baseball. Period
It’s not for my argument I just think it’s much more important. Yadi has been the best I’ve ever seen from the defensive perspective and has taken away so many runs from opposing offenses. As average as he’s been as the plate for his career he’s had some really clutch ABs and hits over the years in the playoffs, too. He’s gone up big in sone big moments with the bat.

Look man, I like you and think you’re a pretty smart guy. But don’t make a fool of yourself here. The Reds aren’t historically or presently on the same planet as the Cardinals as a franchise.

Ozzie was shit as a hitter, no doubt.
I’m just looking at numbers brother. No one is arguing the reds are as good of a franchise, especially in the last 30 years. You also have to remember the Reds were in the west division for years and battled the dodgers, giants, and Braves while the Cardinals had it much easier because they cried to stay in the east (along with the cubs). That’s just facts

“”Molina, who made his reputation as the game's best defensive catcher, is an offensive weapon in October. A .299 hitter in 63 postseason games, Molina has hit .341 in 15 World Series games. He drove in nine runs, while batting .333, in the 2011 Fall Classic triumph over Texas and crushed the decisive ninth-inning home run in that NLCS Game 7 at Shea Stadium in 2006 that left Beltran and the Mets brokenhearted. Molina hit .348 with six RBIs in that series.””

For your reading pleasure, Drew. Im well aware of Yadi’s career numbers at the plate. I know you haven’t gotten to see much playoff baseball in your time as a Reds fan, but this is what you call clutch.

I’m just looking at numbers brother. No one is arguing the reds are as good of a franchise, especially in the last 30 years. You also have to remember the Reds were in the west division for years and battled the dodgers, giants, and Braves while the Cardinals had it much easier because they cried to stay in the east (along with the cubs). That’s just facts
The Cardinals have won more than double the amount of NL pennants AND World Series titles as the Reds. Not the same planet. Spare me the “what division they played in” nonsense. Sounding more like an Indiana fan with every post, lol

It’s not for my argument I just think it’s much more important. Yadi has been the best I’ve ever seen from the defensive perspective and has taken away so many runs from opposing offenses. As average as he’s been as the plate for his career he’s had some really clutch ABs and hits over the years in the playoffs, too. He’s gone up big in sone big moments with the bat.
I don’t care for him but I respect Yadi as a player and I love when guys play for one franchise. He’s elite behind the plate and as a leader. I just think he’s top 5 at the position overall, all I’m saying

i wish my Reds were as competent as building a complete organization as the Cards are. It hurts that they suck so much. But I’d still take an all time Reds team

Reactions: deep3
The Cardinals have won more than double the amount of NL pennants AND World Series titles as the Reds. Not the same planet. Spare me the “what division they played in” nonsense. Sounding more like an Indiana fan with every post, lol
Then answer me why the cards and cubs didn’t go to the west while being more west geographically than Atlanta and Cincinnati?
If your answer is “they cried because they didn’t wanna play the dodgers and giants” you’d be correct

Reactions: deep3
Then answer me why the cards and cubs didn’t go to the west while being more west geographically than Atlanta and Cincinnati?
If your answer is “they cried because they didn’t wanna play the dodgers and giants” you’d be correct
Dude. You’re just making goofy pointless arguments at this point that have nothing to do with hardware, you know the shit that matters. You’re better than this.

The Cardinals are the 2nd best MLB franchise of all-time behind only the Yankees. Those are the facts. Historically the best team in the National League. Also facts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT