ADVERTISEMENT

Reds are showing signs of life; 11 gms back in loss column of 3rd NL WC w/still 73 gms to play

HerrosHeroes

All-American
Aug 16, 2018
Cincinnati is finally healthy and it shows, winners of 8 of 12 and 6 of 7 and of those 8 wins 7 have come v current playoff teams including taking a series 2 to 1 in the Bronx over the best team in baseball the Yankees.

The Reds play 6 straight v the Cards starting tonight. No way should Castellini deal anyone right now, esp. with trade deadline not until Aug. 2.

I think he will wait and see what happens v. St. Louis. If Reds take 4 of the 6 games or better and gain ground on the 3rd WC in the process I think Castellini not only keeps Castillo but trys to add a pitcher or 2.

Mahle and Dunn will be ready after the break and Reds schedule is much more conducive to making an historic run in Aug and Sept. Put Minor and Dunn in the Pen and if you keep Castillo and Mahle who Castillini has under contract thru next season anyway, albeit arbitration eligible and the Reds are looking at a 2nd half rotation of: Castillo, Mahle, Ashcraft, Lodolo and Greene and a shored up BP especially when Warren and Santillian get back. Hell, Castillini wouldnt even have to spend at the TDL.

32 yrs since last WS and 27 yrs since last playoff series win is absurd. How many more wait until next year do Reds fans have to endure?
Injuries, 17 of 25 on the road v playoff teams to start the season and for much of the rest to this point caused the 3-22 start.

Since then, despite a brutal schedule and tons of injuries to players that are now healthy (India and Stephenson primarily) the Reds are just 2 games under .500 at 31-33.

Reds are done with Dodgers, Braves, Padres, Giants, Yankees, Rays and Jays.
Only have 3 left with Mets.

Over the last 73 games the Reds will have to travel no further west than St.Louis Missouri.

These next 6 v the Cards could change things and make the Reds buyers instead
of sellers!

PS I work with an Attorney that is a Yankee fan and he came by my office and said: “You guys (the Reds) are mean! “ He also said, “Votto killed the Yankees.” LFG!

Last edited:
don't see it. way too big of a defecit to begin the year. they are still 12 games out of the wildcard. there are 73 games left. they would likely need to be in the ballpark--pun intended--of 45 to 55 of those being wins. i don't see this team going 45-28 with this roster and especially this bullpen.

the reds are garbage because they have garbage leadership. disatrous collapse last year when they had a playoff spot all but locked up and they rewarded bell with a contract. the owners and gm signaled that move with letting castellanos walk and then trading garrret, winker and gray that they aren't trying to win.

that's loser mentality!

and then the ownership doubled down with the trash comments to fans. how dare them demand a winner!!! you have to do a lot to make yourself a worse owner than mike brown and the castellini family has done it.

I'll put it this way.... baseball is a funny sport sometimes. The Pirates swept the Dodgers in a 4 game series earlier this year. Reds swept Tampa and had taken 2 out of 3 from the Yanks.

All that said.... this team is trash. If you are not trading Castillo for top prospects at this point it would be insanity.

There is not a fan out there but maybe the OP that still believes in this team.

It's hard for me to view the Reds rationally as I'm a big, lifelong fan...and I love baseball.

1. I enjoy watching the young pitchers (Ashcraft, Green, and Lodolo). I can't imagine they will have success after reaching 150IP. Usually the long season hurts the young pitchers late in the year.
2. Castillo should be traded, but only if there is a mountain of return as he is under team control through 2023.
3. Drury has been awesome. Senzel is showing signs of life. Stephenson and India are every day players that the Reds can build around. If Votto and Moose can get hot in the second half, they will make a run.

Those three things being said, they are 20 games below .500 and 12 games out of the last wildcard. It will take an extremely unlikely run for this team to make the postseason. That is just a fact. Go REDS!

Reds have a lot of trade pieces teams could use. The braves could look into Castillo, as he would give them another good starter they they need.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Remember we used to say that about 16 seeds.

UVA screwed around and found out. Never say never.

An no, I’m not a Reds fan.
Hey, if it’s as likely as a 16 seed beating a 1, I’d say cool Reds fans. Keep holding your breath 😂

Hey, if it’s as likely as a 16 seed beating a 1, I’d say cool Reds fans. Keep holding your breath 😂

Just saying. After that and the year that was 2020, I never say never to anything anymore. That being said I’m not a Reds fan and I highly doubt it’s going to happen.

Just saying. After that and the year that was 2020, I never say never to anything anymore. That being said I’m not a Reds fan and I highly doubt it’s going to happen.
Of course not. Anything is possible.

that being said … it ain’t gonna happen..LOL.

I did some checking. The Reds could become the first team in baseball history to be 20 games under .500 in April and win the World Series. Feels like Cincy's year. The Bengals got close. The Reds will bring it home.
Is this some kind of a joke? lol the reds are garbage!!!!

• Love
Reactions: STL_Cat
If you have followed Cincinnati sports for more than six months you know the best you can hope for is that they get your hopes up and then crap the bed right at the end.

Reactions: Mdnerd
Bullpen is maybe the worst in last two decades. There is no hope (I am a Reds fan)
Yep. Hoffman is a fricken gas can but we keep using him in high leverage situations; he has a career 5.60 ERA ffs. I was impressed with our starting pitching in the Yankees series, only to see our bullpen blow up. We’re 34-55 and the playoffs are a pipe dream. Yes, we’ve won 7 of 8, but we could lose 7 of 8 just as easily. Votto has been awful, but he did get a clutch hit in the eighth inning last night. I think 75 wins is the absolute ceiling for this group. #ATOBTTR

Yep. Hoffman is a fricken gas can but we keep using him in high leverage situations; he has a career 5.60 ERA ffs. I was impressed with our starting pitching in the Yankees series, only to see our bullpen blow up. We’re 34-55 and the playoffs are a pipe dream. Yes, we’ve won 7 of 8, but we could lose 7 of 8 just as easily. Votto has been awful, but he did get a clutch hit in the eighth inning last night. I think 75 wins is the absolute ceiling for this group. #ATOBTTR

Only reason I want the Reds to do well is Votto. Dude deserves better.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Cincinnati is finally healthy and it shows, winners of 8 of 12 and 6 of 7 and of those 8 wins 7 have come v current playoff teams including taking a series 2 to 1 in the Bronx over the best team in baseball the Yankees.

The Reds play 6 straight v the Cards starting tonight. No way should Castellini deal anyone right now, esp. with trade deadline not until Aug. 2.

I think he will wait and see what happens v. St. Louis. If Reds take 4 of the 6 games or better and gain ground on the 3rd WC in the process I think Castellini not only keeps Castillo but trys to add a pitcher or 2.

Mahle and Dunn will be ready after the break and Reds schedule is much more conducive to making an historic run in Aug and Sept. Put Minor and Dunn in the Pen and if you keep Castillo and Mahle who Castillini has under contract thru next season anyway, albeit arbitration eligible and the Reds are looking at a 2nd half rotation of: Castillo, Mahle, Ashcraft, Lodolo and Greene and a shored up BP especially when Warren and Santillian get back. Hell, Castillini wouldnt even have to spend at the TDL.

32 yrs since last WS and 27 yrs since last playoff series win is absurd. How many more wait until next year do Reds fans have to endure?
Injuries, 17 of 25 on the road v playoff teams to start the season and for much of the rest to this point caused the 3-22 start.

Since then, despite a brutal schedule and tons of injuries to players that are now healthy (India and Stephenson primarily) the Reds are just 2 games under .500 at 31-33.

Over the last 73 games the Reds will have to travel no further west than St.Louis Missouri.

of sellers!

PS I work with an Attorney that is a Yankee fan and he came by my office and said: “You guys (the Reds) are mean! “ He also said, “Votto killed the Yankees.” LFG!

Stop...don't do this to yourself. As a Reds fan, you should know this doesn't have a happy ending.

Love the Reds but not seeing anything great in the near future. They're playing good baseball right now getting some of the missing piece back from injury. However they have bullpen and defense issues. Their best bats could be better too considering Drury is the best hitter this season. Stephenson will be before the season is over but has 140 fewer at bats right now.

of sellers!

You seriously think the Reds have a chance? 11 games back this late for the 3rd wild card lol. This is definitely thinking from all the losing over the years.

ADVERTISEMENT