ADVERTISEMENT

Reason for getting outrebounded

etowncatfan

All-SEC
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2003
Cal saying we weren’t tough enough. I am not buying it. I am saying we got called for SO MANY FOULS going after rebounds that eventually you quit going so hard after them. Go back and look at IQs last foul I believe. A 50/50 rebound. Both players going after the ball in the same space and collide. Quickly gets called for the foul. This happened all night even going after loose balls. I think if we would have matched Auburn’s aggressiveness we would have fouled everyone out and would be playing walk ons at the end.

It's tough to rebound with your arms tied behind your back. Half the team had 4-5 fouls. Every time we went in for a loose ball we were whistled when possession hadn't even been established. We shot better than them from 2, from 3 and at the line, but lost by 9. I also looked up some interesting numbers.

In our 4 SEC road games, our opponents have shot 127 FTs to our 107 FTs. A lot of our opponents shoot way more 3s than us yet they are supposedly getting fouled more. Those 4 opponents have taken 91 3s to our 57 3s. Before SEC play we were making more FTs than our opponents had attempted. It doesn't add up very well.

This just isn't basketball anymore.

Every road game has gotten more and more insane. Each time, we think it surely can't get any worse and then it does.

The refs at Auburn were throwing their fists in the air for fouls before they even occurred. For literally half the fouls they called.

Right. And you figure out how to still get Ws even with poor officiating or you lose lots of games and make lots of excuses.
I'm with you man I'm tired of reading the excuses. The sec officiating is god awful. The free throw discrepancy was alarming.

But this team played pretty terrible. The bench was non existent. We aren't deep. And yet we somehow get outrebounded too.

Blaming the refs is starting to get old. At some point, you adapt.

while I agree it’s hard to adapt to a way that allows you to win the game. IQ played great defense on doughty last night on a critical possession and doughty dribbled off his leg out of bounds. Result foul call on IQ and free throws by doughty. There were several phantom calls like this down the stretch last night that resulted in the same with little to no contact and free throws by auburn. Free throws kept auburn in the game early and late and finally getting a few threes to drop allowed the seperation. I honestly do not see how we could have adapted other than just stay two feet off every man and don’t get anywhere near them which wouldn’t be a great recipe for success either.

I'm with you man I'm tired of reading the excuses. The sec officiating is god awful. The free throw discrepancy was alarming.

But this team played pretty terrible. The bench was non existent. We aren't deep. And yet we somehow get outrebounded too.
I guess you think Auburn played lights out then lol. They shot 35% from the field and 26% on threes. They did out rebound UK by a lot but it’s not a conspiracy theory to say the officiating had an effect on how aggressive UK was able to play.

I think both things are true at the same, we didnt play near as aggressively or intense as they did , and the refereeing was horrendous . We seriously lack any production from the 4 spot .

I thin k it was two main issues on our part (another is Auburn is a very aggressive team which is a credit to Pearl)...
1. Auburn constantly had Nick Richards in pick and roll....thusly drawing him away from the basket which takes our best big from rebounding.
2. Our PF were bad on he boards (and they are typically poor rebounders in most games).
- Sestina is really bad at this...he grabbed 1 rebound in 18 minutes
- Brooks had 2 in 22 minutes
- EJ had 4 in 17 minutes

IN the end, you can't all your PF get crushed like that while playing 57 minutes of floor time to get 7 rebounds in a game where Auburn missed 33 shots....I think the answer is Sestina will always be a liability and when he misses all his shots he give you a nothing but negatives. But EJ is the guy who can answer the bell a bit more and I hope he earns more time with Cal.

I thin k it was two main issues on our part (another is Auburn is a very aggressive team which is a credit to Pearl)...
1. Auburn constantly had Nick Richards in pick and roll....thusly drawing him away from the basket which takes our best big from rebounding.
2. Our PF were bad on he boards (and they are typically poor rebounders in most games).
- EJ had 4 in 17 minutes

IN the end, you can't all your PF get crushed like that while playing 57 minutes of floor time to get 7 rebounds in a game where Auburn missed 33 shots....I think the answer is Sestina will always be a liability and when he misses all his shots he give you a nothing but negatives. But EJ is the guy who can answer the bell a bit more and I hope he earns more time with Cal.

EJ had a short stretch where he got. a block , had another really positive play , and then Cal took him out for Sestina . I'm pretty sure it was before he picked up his 4th foul, I get frustrated with EJ but he is >>>>>> than Nate at this point . I'm afraid Nate is in over his head , just not naturally gifted enough to add much at this level. Gives it his all but he's a 6'7 three point shooter . Period .

Blaming the refs is starting to get old. At some point, you adapt.
Please go into detail how a player is supposed to “adapt” to the officiating like last night without just letting Auburn drive in for an uncontested layup. Anytime we attempted to go after a loose ball, contest a shot in the paint, or play just as physical perimeter defense as they were allowed to play on us we were whistled for a foul 99% of the time. It’s easy just to throw out cliche coach speak without any substance behind it

Last edited:
Staff has to adapt to refs on road - that means going pack line on your man defense - not playing chest to chest 30' from the basket. When you go zone don't play so spread out with huge gaps. If a bad shooting Auburn team beats you on threes so be it

Reactions: KyFaninNC
No way Cal sat there watching them not going for rebounds and didn’t get after them. I’ve been critical of the coaching at times this year, but the effort just wasn’t there to rebound. It happens.

Im glad that were starting to realize the foul issue.. but step 2 is acknowledging how those fouls affect other parts of the game.

I really dont care how badly we rebounded or how so and so played.. when you're whistled for 30 fouls and the other team shoots 44 free throws, your performance is excused.

Think of how easy it is to get thrown off at work.. bad meeting, watching a coworker get promoted when it was undeserved, etc. Now imagine in basketball you're trying to win but you're not allowed because the other team can do whatever they want. You dont think that wouldnt throw off some player's games??

Auburn out rebounded us because they out hustled and out worked us. Kentucky got 5 rebounds between, Sestina, Juzang and Brooks and they all played at least 15 minutes. That's not going to get it done anywhere. They also had 7 steals and we had none. Anytime you shoot a lot of 3's there are going to be a lot of long rebounds and Auburn got those too. That's life on the road.

- EJ had 4 in 17 minutes

BINGO!!

I will just add that SEVERAL times I watched EJ, Keion and Johnny WATCH the ball instead of blocking out there man and GOING AFTER the ball!! It drives me CRAZY!! They continue to do this after Cal hammers them about it EVERY game!!

Quickley and Hagans are very good rebounders for Guards, Maxey and Nick are decent , but EVERYONE else struggles mightily to go up and get a rebound.

Everyone is upset over the horrible officiating and the tremendous # of fouls we committed yesterday and I agree. However, by giving up SO MANY offensive rebounds, we allowed Auburn and the refs to create MORE opportunities to SCREW US OVER!!!!

Reactions: Backer cutter
I guess you think Auburn played lights out then lol. They shot 35% from the field and 26% on threes. They did out rebound UK by a lot but it’s not a conspiracy theory to say the officiating had an effect on how aggressive UK was able to play.

No, but they definitely out hustled us. That was apparent. They went after every loose ball, while alot of our players just stood around. Not my quote. Cal literally said some guys didn't even jump...

Im glad that were starting to realize the foul issue.. but step 2 is acknowledging how those fouls affect other parts of the game.

I really dont care how badly we rebounded or how so and so played.. when you're whistled for 30 fouls and the other team shoots 44 free throws, your performance is excused.

Think of how easy it is to get thrown off at work.. bad meeting, watching a coworker get promoted when it was undeserved, etc. Now imagine in basketball you're trying to win but you're not allowed because the other team can do whatever they want. You dont think that wouldnt throw off some player's games??
so is it a conspiracy? or do other teams experience the same set backs and over the course of a season it averages out?

Cal saying we weren’t tough enough. I am not buying it. I am saying we got called for SO MANY FOULS going after rebounds that eventually you quit going so hard after them. Go back and look at IQs last foul I believe. A 50/50 rebound. Both players going after the ball in the same space and collide. Quickly gets called for the foul. This happened all night even going after loose balls. I think if we would have matched Auburn’s aggressiveness we would have fouled everyone out and would be playing walk ons at the end.
That and I saw them gang rebounding and didn't seem like we were.

We don’t have guys that are alpha dogs when it comes to rebounding the ball, we just don’t. Good rebounders find a way, have a nose for the ball, refusing to be blocked out. We don’t have anyone like that. Get a couple bad calls and wimp behind the opponents back because they are sure to call a foul if you try to rebound? Horse hockey, battle for position, if they call the foul on you so be it, just fight and quit wimping out.

Just not a good rebounding team. It has shown all year and it is one of the reasons we dont put teams away. Nick does well but the remainder of EJ,Sestina, Brooks are poor .
Then you have to rely on 3 guards to help and so here we are.

Staff has to adapt to refs on road - that means going pack line on your man defense - not playing chest to chest 30' from the basket. When you go zone don't play so spread out with huge gaps. If a bad shooting Auburn team beats you on threes so be it
did the refs cause all the turn overs to

Another trace of our ongoing rebounding problems is also the failure of Whitney to take some minutes at the SF spot...he had all the tools to help us on the glass similar to MKG....but alas he sort of pussed out and wasn't really adept at sticking his nose in for boards. So a big part of hits season is about EJ seeing if he can take more of a role at the PF. He can solve a bit of this problem but I just don't have faith Sestina can and Brooks isn't ready.

Only way this team makes a run is if montgomery becomes a man and a force at the 4. Sestina is a role player and without a legit strong pf we are gonna get whipped by physical teams.

Only way this team makes a run is if montgomery becomes a man and a force at the 4. Sestina is a role player and without a legit strong pf we are gonna get whipped by physical teams.

I really like Sestina he's a game changer and reminds me of Derek Willis. But his defense is abysmal. It's bad when alot of the freshman play better defense then an upperclassmen. And he is a liability on the court because of that exact reason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT