ADVERTISEMENT

Realistic coaching replacements for Cal

Lamont Paris is giving off Tony Bennett vibes to me. No thanks.
You do realize that my list wasn't a list of potential replacements for Cal, right? It's a list of coaches who have proven success at their current spots, even though they weren't "big names" before getting there or hadn't come from traditional powerhouse programs

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
You do realize that my list wasn't a list of potential replacements for Cal, right? It's a list of coaches who have proven success at their current spots, even though they weren't "big names" before getting there or hadn't come from traditional powerhouse programs
It's not a shot at you but the name Lamont Paris and watching that garbage basketball is Tony Bennett 2.0. If he's a "hot coach" people need to wake the **** up and realize that crap style doesn't win in March.

Agree with Pearl. Dude wants and needs a title. Hates losing. Give him 5 years to do it. I believe he does.
I'm not saying Pearl isn't the right guy. But he's 64, just one year younger than Cal. I don't want some fresh pup out of college, but also not sure with the new landscape of college hoops, a newer generation coach isn't the right path?

Alabama didn't settle for DeBoer. He was in their top 2 choices all along. Also if you can hire a guy with DeBoer's background and coming off a National Championship game appearance a few weeks prior to leaving....and he beat the last team to beat Nick Saban in Tuscaloosa (Texas) twice in year--both in bowl games. DeBoer is 112-14 as a HC in his lifetime with 3 National Championships at a lower level. He coached 2 yrs at the Power 5 and was 25-3 at Washington with a Pac 12 Championship and College Football Playoff National Championship Appearance.

This would be equivalent of hiring John Calipari after Rick Pitino stepped down in '97.
I didn’t say it was a bad hire but he wasn’t the most popular candidate to the fans. PAC 12 and the SEC are two totally different animals. Him being a top 2 choice is not what I heard. A few coaches admitted to turning the job down.

Last edited:
Pearl can’t even beat Calipari at home and had a history of lying to everyone (he’s Bobby Petrino bad), Pitino isn’t walking through that door and Cal owned him too (like it or not). What the program will need is a fresh, young face - who understands today’s game and can handle the spotlight of being here.

Did drew sign an extension? And another poster said Texas people are saying he won’t come here.
So Hurley gets the 1st call you have to hear a no from him then go hire Pearl. I was high on Beard but I think Pearl will kill it here. He’ll embrace the fans and get the talent we need to hang #9. These are the 2 realistic guys I’d call and talk to, you can say Stevens & wright etc…..but that ain’t happening boys.

Billy Donovan has turned down UK in the past at least twice I think. Now at this stage in his life, is he happy in Chicago and the NBA? Would his wife like a change or scenery? Does he have a desire to coach college again with NIL, transfer portal, etc.?

Brad Stevens seems content to be out of coaching, being more of an admin. Does he still have that itch to scratch to coach again in D1? Would be worth a call though.

Jay Wright retired and got out of the game a few years ago. I think he decided he didn't want to deal with NIL and the portal, won his two nattys and called it a day. I'd love to see him at UK but don't think it would happen.

Sean Miller was a hot name years ago. Still just 55 years old. Had some NCAA/FBI issues at Arizona as we all know, but if it wasn't for Whisky and Kaminski he makes it to back to back F4. Solid Xs and Os coach. Would his previous indiscretions keep him out of the running or is that far enough in the rear view mirror?

Scott Drew just signed an extension if I remember correctly, not sure what the buyout is but definitely worth considering.

Dan Hurley isn't leaving UConn in my opinion. He's got going there, seems like a great fit so I don't see it happening.

Bruce Pearl would kill it I think but would his previous NCAA indiscretions at two different D1 schools knock him out of consideration.

Nate "Wrong Place Wrong Time" Oats just signed a big extension with a pretty large buyout. So between buying out Cal (assuming a deal is worked out) and Oats buyout don't think this is a possibility.

Kelvin Sampson can flat out coach but he's had his NCAA issues too and getting up there in age (68 years old) a bit.

These are the few that I immediately thought of. First things first, something has to happen for UK to be in the market for a new head coach.
I will go with Sean Miller. I think he'd come gladly. He can coach.

It's not a shot at you but the name Lamont Paris and watching that garbage basketball is Tony Bennett 2.0. If he's a "hot coach" people need to wake the **** up and realize that crap style doesn't win in March.
It had been 5 years since SC made the tournament, he got them there in his 2nd season, 13-5 in the SEC this season. As far as Bennet 2.0 goes, not sure what you mean? They scored 73 points yesterday, far cry from Virginia. But to your point, they only averaged 72 points per game on the season, Virginia at 63

Again, I'm not campaigning for Paris to be the next coach. But aside from your personal opinion, he's pretty well respected as one of the top younger coaches in the nation

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Sometimes it’s about timing. Billy Donovan has maybe got NBA out of his system, not going so well for him in Chicago. He was a much better college coach than NBA

Reactions: FL2287
I'm not saying Pearl isn't the right guy. But he's 64, just one year younger than Cal. I don't want some fresh pup out of college, but also not sure with the new landscape of college hoops, a newer generation coach isn't the right path?

Pearl would prob sell his kidney for a title. Yeah I’m thinking just a 5 year or so run, get a title. Evaluate the young ones coming up in the mean time. Portal and NIL is something young and vet coaches alike are all having to navigate and learn. Not sure anyone is close to mastering it yet.

Paris would be a disaster here as coach. We've already got the market on coaching disasters cornered with the current HC. I think Beard would end up being similar.

Pearl would prob sell his kidney for a title. Yeah I’m thinking just a 5 year or so run, get a title. Evaluate the young ones coming up in the mean time. Portal and NIL is something young and vet coaches alike are all having to navigate and learn. Not sure anyone is close to mastering it yet.
Let's also not forget, Pearl lost to Appalaichan St this year. And lost a home game to UK. Haven't made it past the first weekend the last 2 years. Not sure what'll happen this year.

All that to say, he's not a homerun hire. Willing, yes. Experienced, yes. Charismatic, yes. He checks some boxes, absolutely. Also some dirt on that resume. And if I'm correct, he's only made it past the 1st weekend once since he's been at Auburn - Final 4 year where they beat UK.

It had been 5 years since SC made the tournament, he got them there in his 2nd season, 13-5 in the SEC this season. As far as Bennet 2.0 goes, not sure what you mean? They scored 73 points yesterday, far cry from Virginia. But to your point, they only averaged 72 points per game on the season, Virginia at 63

Again, I'm not campaigning for Paris to be the next coach. But aside from your personal opinion, he's pretty well respected as one of the top younger coaches in the nation
I know what he did-also think SEC is the most corrupt CBB conference in the sport for allowing crap teams to mug and muck up games with the better teams and get some wins for the sake of greed. This isn't the Big 12 where teams actually have success in the Postseason. SEC success was better when they let the elite program dominate and others raised their game. Since they've tried to "improve the conference"--what results have been netted as success?

I saw great UK teams but you had Arkansas/Florida as elite programs who maintained success and were threats. Mississippi State, LSU, South Carolina, Auburn all made runs to Final Four before the "parity" word came up. Once it's gone "parity" and the corrupt officials gravitated towards the SEC, you have a bunch of dog shit. So Lamont Paris "success" comes with a side eye--specifically seeing how awful the performance of the conference was yesterday.

Let's also not forget, Pearl lost to Appalaichan St this year. And lost a home game to UK. Haven't made it past the first weekend the last 2 years. Not sure what'll happen this year.

All that to say, he's not a homerun hire. Willing, yes. Experienced, yes. Charismatic, yes. He checks some boxes, absolutely. Also some dirt on that resume. And if I'm correct, he's only made it past the 1st weekend once since he's been at Auburn - Final 4 year where they beat UK.

All good points. Don’t think MB would do it anyway. Guessing it’ll be a very vanilla and safe hire.

I don’t think he’s fired tho. They’ll go all in on this new NIL fund saying that’ll make the difference despite talent at UK never being the issue.

Last edited:
Billy Donovan has turned down UK in the past at least twice I think. Now at this stage in his life, is he happy in Chicago and the NBA? Would his wife like a change or scenery? Does he have a desire to coach college again with NIL, transfer portal, etc.?

Brad Stevens seems content to be out of coaching, being more of an admin. Does he still have that itch to scratch to coach again in D1? Would be worth a call though.

Jay Wright retired and got out of the game a few years ago. I think he decided he didn't want to deal with NIL and the portal, won his two nattys and called it a day. I'd love to see him at UK but don't think it would happen.

Sean Miller was a hot name years ago. Still just 55 years old. Had some NCAA/FBI issues at Arizona as we all know, but if it wasn't for Whisky and Kaminski he makes it to back to back F4. Solid Xs and Os coach. Would his previous indiscretions keep him out of the running or is that far enough in the rear view mirror?

Scott Drew just signed an extension if I remember correctly, not sure what the buyout is but definitely worth considering.

Dan Hurley isn't leaving UConn in my opinion. He's got going there, seems like a great fit so I don't see it happening.

Bruce Pearl would kill it I think but would his previous NCAA indiscretions at two different D1 schools knock him out of consideration.

Nate "Wrong Place Wrong Time" Oats just signed a big extension with a pretty large buyout. So between buying out Cal (assuming a deal is worked out) and Oats buyout don't think this is a possibility.

Kelvin Sampson can flat out coach but he's had his NCAA issues too and getting up there in age (68 years old) a bit.

These are the few that I immediately thought of. First things first, something has to happen for UK to be in the market for a new head coach.
Good breakdown Rick. Sean MIller imo is the most obtainable choice. I love Pearl but when a coach reaches a certain age they lose their mojo.

Reactions: rick64
10 years is about the shelf life of any mortal coach not named Rupp. The job is a pressure cooker, but one that is worth it for coaches who thrive in that type of environment.

Reactions: EliteBlue

Cal had his indiscretions when he was hired. At this point just hire someone who wants to win titles, has bench coaching abilities, and recruits decent. The rest will take care of itself.

Agree. The OP said realistic...
Why I said clueless. It's amazing sometimes. Sure, Rick came from the NBA. But it ain't 1980 something. It doesn't happen that way now. Realistically guys like Drew would be considered a home run. Hell, Pat Kelsey would feel like a homerun now. Just no more fat poser.

Call hurley then Wright after they say no move on to Pearl and Drew types which will likely end with Drew getting the offer. Not sure he will take it but I think this is the most likely scenario.

I can fix what ails you in two years i make a living doing it rick pitino
rick injury GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT