ADVERTISEMENT

Pre game have you every been more confident about UK beating UF during the streak?

Never been confident about playing Florida. Very optimistic this year for sure, really really hopeful. Not confident though.

I feel good but not over confident by any means. This game is huge!!! Will get us nationally respected even if it is an average Florida team.

Confidence is relative given our history and Florida's...I've rarely thought we had a realistic chance to win, except for 2007 when we played them after the LSU win. This year is different because I believe we actually have a defense that gives us a 50/50 chance to get it done. In previous years I never really thought we could stop them.

I mentioned in another thread that 2007 was the last time I felt this way going into the Florida game. That had even more hype than this game. Played our hearts out and left with a L. I'm hoping things are a little different this time.

Reactions: KWilt43atbuzz
I mean, two years ago I felt like we were going to do it.

Coming off a game we got cheated out of in Gainesville, getting to play them in Commonwealth?

And we did, in fact, almost beat them again. Just had one too many mistakes and lost a very dumb game 14-9. Our defense was insane in that game but we couldn't manage ANYTHING on offense. Drops, incompletions, and interceptions doomed us.

Coming off a game we got cheated out of in Gainesville, getting to play them in Commonwealth?

And we did, in fact, almost beat them again. Just had one too many mistakes and lost a very dumb game 14-9. Our defense was insane in that game but we couldn't manage ANYTHING on offense. Drops, incompletions, and interceptions doomed us.

If that QB got caught cheating a week earlier they would have scored ZERO.

I bought my first season tickets in 2015 because I felt like that was going to be the year and it almost was. Hopes were high in 2007 too, but I'd say this is the most confident I've been.

The drops defined that entire season, really. Wouldn't be surprised if we led the country in that category

I'm not sure I'm 100% confident even now. Although you got to be impressed at the win on the road at USCjr. With that said, Coach Stoop and the Team have yet to play a game with all four phases of the game, playing at there best. If we get to the point where Coaching, Offense, Defense, and Special Teams put together everything, all at one time - then we'll see something truly special. Maybe even this Saturday?

I've learned over the years that it does not pay to be confident about winning anything in Football. In fact, with our record, the odds are against doing so. That said, I'm reasonably confident we will be competitive. Even that is a significant improvement over the vast majority of the Fla games over the last 30 years.. We've had some good teams in the past that should have broken the streak. We've shot ourselves in the foot a few times.

IMO,There are some things essential to our winning:
1. I hope they come out of the locker room with a business like attitude instead of being too emotionally pumped. We saw how USC deflated after their first possession. We've seen what can happen to pumped teams once adversity hits.....and it will hit sometime Saturday. Focus is the key to winning big games.
2. I hope we don't give up big plays early in the game. I've seen that happen on days I thought we had a shot only to be playing from behind the 8ball the entire game.

I thought we had a great shot at them in 2007, but there were two stumbling blocks, first we were coming off of an emotion win over #1 LSU and second a guy by the name of Tim Teebow. We still came close.

This year is the first time I can recall during the streak where we match up well with Florida's physicality. I think they may have a small edge with team speed but we more than make up for it with our experience and depth. I'm never "confident" of anything when it comes to football because so many unexpected things can happen, and usually do, but I will say I'm confident the team comes in well prepared and focused and I'm confident our fans will make a lot of noise and support our troops.

I thought we had a great shot at them in 2007, but there were two stumbling blocks, first we were coming off of an emotion win over #1 LSU and second a guy by the name of Tim Teebow. We still came close.
IMO, the game changer was Percy Harvin coming back from injury. He killed us.

IMO, the game changer was Percy Harvin coming back from injury. He killed us.

Remember the on-sides kick we had that was touched 6 inches short of going 10 yards? Teebow was out of the game at that point with a shoulder injury, and it looked like we might be able to get the ball score and pull out a win.

I was at that game two years ago. Lexington was hype, but I did not feel good about the game. I didn't feel like we were ready and turns out we were not.

This year feels different. We've got the players. Hell I wish we could play tomorrow!

I'm not confident at all. This is one of those games that always alludes us. I feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football. We finally feel like we are going to kick that ball and it gets pulled away from us.
giphy.gif

Right now I am leaning toward 55/45 Florida winning. If everything goes right for us, I think it can swing the other way. Also the distractions and injuries for them might turn the tide. We are about due, but you could say the same thing every year for the past 30 years. I hope I am wrong but until we actually beat them, I remain a glass half empty type of person.

ADVERTISEMENT