ADVERTISEMENT

Don’t know how to feel about OSU RB Staying

YaketySax

Senior
Jun 28, 2018
What does it mean they paid to keep their RB1 and also grab the Ole Miss RB at a premium price

But were fine not paying Chip Trayanum to stay too? I figure if Chip was great they would have done more to keep him. I’m personally less excited now (but don’t judge others who are still excited) he’s at UK.

Last edited:
It is really ok and allowed to be excited to get backups from places like Ohio & Georgia & Bama. There is no conflict in recognizing a player might not be great enough to be first string at top 10 teams....but a big talent increase and starter at Kentucky.

It is really ok and allowed to be excited to get backups from places like Ohio & Georgia & Bama. There is no conflict in recognizing a player might not be great enough to be first string at top 10 teams....but a big talent increase and starter at Kentucky.
Yeah. Let me rephrase a tad: I’m less exited because it’s a reminder that UK is on a different tier of player than osu.

Not to be mean, but that’s on you. We all may not like it, but we’re not on the same level as OSU or Bama or Georgia. Odds say we won‘t be anytime soon, if ever.
It’s not mean. I know it’s on me too. Those are my expectations. I want UK to do what it did in 2018 and what Mizzou did this year every two or three years. I want UK to make the expanded playoffs.

In 2013, I thought 6-7 wins was the ceiling. Stoops consistency has me thinking 7-8 is the floor and with some luck here and there 10-2 is possible.

Judkins = OSU outbid Ole Miss.

He's rushed for 2700 yards the last 2 years

I don't think they did. The story I read was Judkins wasn't happy OM was paying all the transfers so much, triple what he was getting. He goes and ask for more, OM was going to give him 700k. He agreed, then went back a week later and asked for more, OM said no. He put forth little effort in the bowl game was remove and hit portal. Both Texas schools said no, as did several other SEC schools. In steps osu who is desperate to beat Mich and offered him 500k, which he accepted. Near what he was getting in 23 at OM, BUT greed cost him about 300k from what OM agreed to pay him of 800k

I don't think they did. The story I read was Judkins wasn't happy OM was paying all the transfers so much, triple what he was getting. He goes and ask for more, OM was going to give him 700k. He agreed, then went back a week later and asked for more, OM said no. He put forth little effort in the bowl game was remove and hit portal. Both Texas schools said no, as did several other SEC schools. In steps osu who is desperate to beat Mich and offered him 500k, which he accepted. Near what he was getting in 23 at OM, BUT greed cost him about 300k from what OM agreed to pay him of 800k

3x? So Ole Miss is paying 1MM+ for players?

• Wow
Reactions: Lost In FL
It’s not mean. I know it’s on me too. Those are my expectations. I want UK to do what it did in 2018 and what Mizzou did this year every two or three years. I want UK to make the expanded playoffs.

In 2013, I thought 6-7 wins was the ceiling. Stoops consistency has me thinking 7-8 is the floor and with some luck here and there 10-2 is possible.
Oh I’m right there with you. I don’t think UK making the 12-team playoffs every 2/3 years is possible, but I do think making it is in the cards with a few breaks going our way. It’s jut the unfortunate truth of our talent base. Our best recruiting classes ever are still middle of the SEC, at best. I hate that UK is in this scenario, but it is what it is. Not sure if Stoops is the one to get us into that playoff, but I am thankful as hell for what he has done and can’t wait for next season.

I read an article that said Ole Miss grove collective has over 7.500 members and that Ole Miss is becoming an NiL power. It was more Judkins not living up to what he agreed on than anything else is what some where saying on the Ole Miss boards.

This!!

We really just need Chip to get the TOUGH yards we struggled to get this season. He is more like Benny or Chris than Ray. If he is as strong and fast as reported, he may be better than what he was perceived to be at OSU.

We have several young RB's plus DSK , so if Chip can't be an every down back, we will have some options.

This!!

We really just need Chip to get the TOUGH yards we struggled to get this season. He is more like Benny or Chris than Ray. If he is as strong and fast as reported, he may be better than what he was perceived to be at OSU.

We have several young RB's plus DSK , so if Chip can't be an every down back, we will have some options.

I think UK is going to be very happy with Chip. Very solid player that had to share the room with other very good backs. Never heard one bad thing about him and here's hoping he has a great year with UK!

Yeah. Let me rephrase a tad: I’m less exited because it’s a reminder that UK is on a different tier of player than osu.

Not sure why this is news to you or anyone on here.

The guy we got can still play well here and help lead us to another 6 to 7 win regular season.

Not sure why this is news to you or anyone on here.

The guy we got can still play well here and help lead us to another 6 to 7 win regular season.
It’s not news to me. It’s unfortunately reinforcing that Stoops may have plateaued.

Attitudes like “6 or 7 win regular season” is the problem. I know you and others will lose their minds when a 6-7 win team loses 6-5 games including against average/bad teams like SCAR, or gets a serious scare from a MAC team.

7 win quality teams got two or three stinkers in them per season, but people forget that them are surprised after those games when they actually stink.

Posters say in January that almost every transfer is good but then get mad in October when UK loses on the road in a blowout to a team with a better roster. Next season has already begun in January in the portal. Freddie Maggard, respectfully, was a “famous” example of this dynamic.

I hope this dude proves my doubts wrong and runs for 1,100 yards and UK goes 9-3.

Last edited:
"In 2013, I thought 6-7 wins was the ceiling. Stoops consistency has me thinking 7-8 is the floor and with some luck here and there 10-2 is possible."

I remember when 7-8 wins was a dream. The foundation of this team is so much stronger than it was before Stoops got here. The Texas A&M deal kinda of pissed me off, but I guess that big time college football for you.
Their have been so many positive changes inside the program that most don't see. Getting basketball people out of the support staff and replacing them with football people is a big one IMO. Stoops &Co. have built a legit SEC program. We are never going to out spend those bigger programs, but their buying potential. You still have to develop and coach.

It’s not news to me. It’s unfortunately reinforcing that Stoops may have plateaued.

Attitudes like “6 or 7 win regular season” is the problem. I know you and others will lose their minds when a 6-7 win team loses 6-5 games including against average/bad teams like SCAR, or gets a serious scare from a MAC team.

7 win quality teams got two or three stinkers in them per season, but people forget that them are surprised after those games when they actually stink.

Posters say in January that almost every transfer is good but then get mad in October when UK loses on the road in a blowout to a team with a better roster. Next season has already begun in January in the portal. Freddie Maggard, respectfully, was a “famous” example of this dynamic.

I hope this dude proves my doubts wrong and runs for 1,100 yards and UK goes 9-3.
You are looking WAYYY too much into Ohio St's full out NIL desperation mode. We got a good, experienced back that is ready to compete. End of story.

You are looking WAYYY too much into Ohio St's full out NIL desperation mode. We got a good, experienced back that is ready to compete. End of story.
I thought he was a great get too prior to OSU paying to keep most of their roster but not him conspicuously. Now I think he’s just a good get who is not a game-changer (but hope he proves me wrong) since he wasn’t in their upgrade plans.

I thought he was a great get too prior to OSU paying to keep most of their roster but not him conspicuously. Now I think he’s just a good get who is not a game-changer (but hope he proves me wrong) since he wasn’t in their upgrade plans.
Maybe we paid more. Maybe the kid wants the chance to be the lead back.

Reactions: YaketySax
Early in the year there were plenty of people who thought Trayanum should have been RB1

What is OSU or their NIL collectives gonna pay a RB who ran for 373 yards on a 4.4 yard a carry average?
And worse against most teams with a pulse. Had several pretty pitiful outings this year - 6 carries for 13 yards against Notre Dame, 9 for 22 against Penn St, 6 for 13 against Wisconsin, 20 for 61 against Maryland.

And yet down 10-14 at Notre Dame 1 second on the clock Chip was the guy who got the ball to win or lose

If only Day were as football smart as some of you Bear Bryants
Weird then he didn’t get NIL money when all the other starters and rb transfer did. So much money to spend from the collective after Michigan locked up the big 10 and chip didn’t take it. Huge budget and he transferred. Weird.

Weird then he didn’t get NIL money when all the other starters and rb transfer did. So much money to spend from the collective after Michigan locked up the big 10 and chip didn’t take it. Huge budget and he transferred. Weird.
Chip hit the transfer button pretty quick after the regular season because he wanted to be RB1 and that was not happening at OSU. It was pretty well known Henderson was getting a good NIL payment and coming back, plus Dallan Hayden redshirted and he was going to be RB2. Judkins was not on the radar after the season and kinda fell in their lap. I think UK is going to be very happy having Chip on their roster!

Chip hit the transfer button pretty quick after the regular season because he wanted to be RB1 and that was not happening at OSU. It was pretty well known Henderson was getting a good NIL payment and coming back, plus Dallan Hayden redshirted and he was going to be RB2. Judkins was not on the radar after the season and kinda fell in their lap. I think UK is going to be very happy having Chip on their roster!

Agreed. I think the timing of the moves is a big point. Chip jumped as soon as Henderson announce coming back.......leaving OSU without a back up. Judkins came later.

Reactions: TM2013
Agreed. I think the timing of the moves is a big point. Chip jumped as soon as Henderson announce coming back.......leaving OSU without a back up. Judkins came later.
Actually Chip announced well before Henderson announced he was coming back, but it was assumed Henderson was going to get a good NIL and come back. I think the coaches told Chip that Hayden was going to be RB1 if Henderson did not come back or RB2 if he did. Judkins is the wildcard now and i wouldn't be shocked if Hayden hit the Spring portal which will suck because he's good!

On 4th down and seconds remaining at Notre Dame with a touchdown they win, and a stop and they lose Ohio gave the ball to Chip Traynum and he delivered. They did not give the ball to Henderson or Hayden. They gave the make-or-break play to the RB that is now in Lexington. He delivered for them then and he will deliver for UK next year. People always worry about who starts games but in desicive moments it is always telling who caoches give the ball to.

And worse against most teams with a pulse. Had several pretty pitiful outings this year - 6 carries for 13 yards against Notre Dame, 9 for 22 against Penn St, 6 for 13 against Wisconsin, 20 for 61 against Maryland.

All the RBs were awful against PSU and Maryland.

Against Wisconsin half of his carries (3) were in the last series trying to run out the clock against a stacked box.

Against ND, Henderson had a 61 yard run. Other that, he rushed 13 times for 43 yards. So the starter struggled against ND too

Just a little research for you.

Reactions: TM2013 and Davae9
All the RBs were awful against PSU and Maryland.

Against Wisconsin half of his carries (3) were in the last series trying to run out the clock against a stacked box.

Against ND, Henderson had a 61 yard run. Other that, he rushed 13 times for 43 yards. So the starter struggled against ND too

Just a little research for you.
Maybe these guys will be shocked to learn the Ohio O line was not in fact great, or even good

Reactions: Davae9
It was pretty well known Henderson was getting a good NIL payment and coming back, plus Dallan Hayden redshirted and he was going to be RB2.
Judging from OSU forums in December I don't think it was well known that OSU was going to make a commitment to NIL as broadly as they've done in recent weeks as multiple NFL-grade players have announced their return. OSU sent emails out to alums asking for money after Michigan won the title asking for funds to compete (great idea doing that after rival wins the big one).

My timeline WAG: OSU previously had a lower cap and had to make decisions to prioritize certain players. By mid- or late-December the cap increased and they got to retain more talent.

Reactions: TM2013
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT