ADVERTISEMENT

Is It Possible???

Nah. IF they are scared of a celebration , they would not be a good fit.

Recruiting, transfer portal is a business. The good players, have multiple offers that they have to go thru , they also need to analyze how they would fit, perspective of playing time , and of course NIL money.

The fit for the system thing is overdone. Great basketball players are great basketball players. I can assure you Pope is looking for great basketball players. Shooters, paint enforcers and athletes that do it all.

He hasn’t lost players that’s stupid . One bench warmer went back home after he seen the list that’s visiting .

Reactions: BlueSince92
If you are afraid of a little pressure, then Kentucky is probably not where you need to go to play. We expect excellence from our team. Yes, we, as a fanbase, can be a little overwhelming at times, but the payoff is that we will treat you like rock stars while you are here and even after you have gone off to do other things.

The fit for the system thing is overdone. Great basketball players are great basketball players. I can assure you Pope is looking for great basketball players. Shooters, paint enforcers and athletes that do it all.
You state that system fit isn't required, but then you provide a list of specifics that looks very much like components of a system. If your system includes shooting lots of 3s, you wouldn't want someone who shoots 28% from 3 land.

Reactions: HymanKaplan
It just seems random. As soon as we see a guy hit the portal we contact him. We have contacted a lot of people. But if we are using a shotgun approach we aren't going to get the best people. These kids want to feel special and targeted. And they want the money. Most want to know fit but hard to see how they fit with only 3 players currently.

Pope is going to have to pay some big bucks to get some players.All of that talk about playing for the front of the jersey means zip to players today.
You do realize he didnt say only right. He's saying that so we know he's trying to weed out the guys who are just in it for a pit stop to the pros and wants to get players that while they're here, will dedicate themselves to the team and to winning.

Reactions: LmdCat
It just seems random. As soon as we see a guy hit the portal we contact him. We have contacted a lot of people. But if we are using a shotgun approach we aren't going to get the best people. These kids want to feel special and targeted. And they want the money. Most want to know fit but hard to see how they fit with only 3 players currently.
For this recruiting season, time isn't on Pope's side, so he doesn't have the luxury of using his preferred recruiting method. He has got to pull a team together before he only has leftovers to pick from.

That the big recruiting video of the celebration of Pope coming home scared kids off? Too much pressure?
Highly doubtful, I’d say he has no track record of putting kids in the league, recruiting high level kids at all, and hasn’t won a tourney game. He has a lot of potential but those questions will stall recruiting until otherwise proven. Till then his staff, our brand, and NIL will have to put in work.

Reactions: track42
You do realize he didnt say only right. He's saying that so we know he's trying to weed out the guys who are just in it for a pit stop to the pros and wants to get players that while they're here, will dedicate themselves to the team and to winning.
Most of these players probably never heard of Pope while he was at BYU, so he is faced with reaching out to a lot of players who are just meeting him for the first time. It isn't the best of situations but I have confidence in Mark Pope. He will get it done by doing it the right way.

Reactions: Fox2monk
We knew UK had reached out but just not about the visit.
It is crazy to think that as fans we think we are so well connected that we should know everything that is going on with the team. The thought of coaching here has to a nightmare for most coaches.

It is crazy to think that as fans we think we are so well connected that we should know everything that is going on with the team. The thought of coaching here has to a nightmare for most coaches.
I'm sure it's tough making millions.

If these kids want to play in the nba and are scared of UK then they are doomed to fail anyway. I always felt like we prepared kids better because you got exposed to microscope in a good way. In the pros you are going to be under it.

Well I worked in the coal mines for 15 years and was almost killed twice but I'm sure it isn't as hard as being a college basketball coach.
I am certain that you got a lot more sleep than most head coaches.

• Haha
Yeah almost being killed in cave ins and having fractured my back and spine really helped me sleep well.
Oh, so you have to have a near death experience to have a tough job. How do you know that any given coach wasn't nearly killed driving into work half asleep because they only got two hours of sleep trying to make some ungrateful fan like you happy? If you thought you were being under compensated, you could have looked for another job. As with any coach, you chose that line of work so if coaches don't have a right to complain maybe you don't either.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Pope is going to have to pay some big bucks to get some players.All of that talk about playing for the front of the jersey means zip to players today.
Yep. We can say we love X about Kentucky but to 98% of players the only color they care about is green.

Doubt it. What I think is possible, and what I’ve been saying, is that this is happening because nobody wants to play for someone they’ve never even heard off. It’s why I still think it was a bad hire. Keeping Orlando would have made things better/easier. He was connection to the previous staff and part of the machine that put dozens of guys in the league.

It's possible that the OP is over thinking things and is a short attention span worrier.

I'd like to ask if it's possible to put more info into thread titles?

• Haha
The game is Moneyball now. How well can you manage your NIL payroll. Pope is a very smart guy and I have a feeling he is being very methodical and analytical. You want to be the smartest, not the loudest.
And smartest doesnt fit in this instant gratification internet world were its ok to lie using some bogus name. 99% of all these gurus are just click hunters. More click equals more money and the BBN is easily manipulated because we care. Im 75 and dont believe anything on the Net from any source. However many of the younger folks think what is said on internet sites are real.

CORRECT!!! This fanbase is hooked on instant gratification. They want Pope to correct what Cal destroyed over many years, overnight.
If we had another top recruiting class coming in, they'd be just fine regardless of what the final result is in March.

Reactions: Ugoff and LmdCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT