ADVERTISEMENT

Pope’s win total for first year?

Feb 10, 2024
What do you think his win total will be for his first year? And how patient will this fanbase be after his first year if it doesn’t go well with obviously a makeshift roster?

Could we at least wait until the Cats have a roster.

Until then I’ll just say 40-0

However many no on will be able to say he did it with Cal’s players.

Remember ‘98.

New coach and some guy named Jeff Sheppard was Tourney MOP
and led Cats to a title.

History not repeating but maybe rhyming.

Go Cats

He had 24 in the Big 12 last year, he’s bringing most of his key players with him, he has a 4 million dollar transfer portal chest, and it’s not impossible that we could keep a couple existing players/Cal recruits.

Seems to me like a 23-8/24-7 type of regular season with 1-2 SECT wins, and 2 NCAAT wins as a 2/3 seed.

If we hit a dream scenario where Adou, Reed, Z are back, then I’d have us at a 28-3 regular season.

• Wow
Reactions: Lempface
15 and that's pushing it. Sec teams will be looking to embarrass UK. Hopefully Mark puts a good roster together and surprises us but we know how first year rebuilds go and play in the SEC is tough enough.

Oh yeah? Is the SEC that much harder than the Big 12?

Bringing all his players with an unlimited budget and even some of Cal’s players and you think he has a 9 game regression to 15 losses.

Do me a favor, sign out, go sign up for the Arkansas board, cheer for Cal to your hearts content.

He had 24 in the Big 12 last year, he’s bringing most of his key players with him, he has a 4 million dollar transfer portal chest, and it’s not impossible that we could keep a couple existing players/Cal recruits.

Seems to me like a 23-8/24-7 type of regular season with 1-2 SECT wins, and 2 NCAAT wins as a 2/3 seed.

If we hit a dream scenario where Adou, Reed, Z are back, then I’d have us at a 28-3 regular season.

Pie in the sky. I like the optimism.

Pie in the sky. I like the optimism.
It’s common sense, he has all his key players from last year where he won 24 in a harder conference. He can buy his pick of 3-4 players from the portal, he has a shot of keeping extremely talented Cal leftovers.

Why would you think he would win less than he did last year?

He’s getting a roster upgrade, not a downgrade. Explain to me how you’ve reached a logical conclusion on this.

Reactions: Doodah859
It’s common sense, he has all his key players from last year where he won 24 in a harder conference. He can buy his pick of 3-4 players from the portal, he has a shot of keeping extremely talented Cal leftovers.

Why would you think he would win less than he did last year?

He’s getting a roster upgrade, not a downgrade. Explain to me how you’ve reached a logical conclusion on this.
It's wishful thinking for some of these upstanding posters.

It's wishful thinking for some of these upstanding posters.
I just legitimately don’t understand the case for expecting the worst.

He’s a P5 coach from a legitimate conference that won major games against title contending programs last year, he’s bringing every player worth their salt with him, and adding multiple other quality players, what logically tracks about this that he’d drop from 24 wins to 15 like some posters are predicting ?

The answer is they don’t have a logical counter. They’re doom and gloom pessimists.

Reactions: Ugoff

He’s a P5 coach from a legitimate conference that won major games against title contending programs last year, he’s bringing every player worth their salt with him, and adding multiple other quality players, what logically tracks about this that he’d drop from 24 wins to 15 like some posters are predicting ?

The answer is they don’t have a logical counter. They’re doom and gloom pessimists.
That's probably the best way to describe them. Pope is the coach now. Time to either get behind it or leave. Some choose to stay and root for failure in order to validate themselves.

Its 23. Not 24.

He lost 8 games n the big 12 as well. He played a dog crap ooc schedule as well. The ooc schedule is gonna be way tougher at UK.

Reactions: track42
Hard to make that kind of guess when we don't know who will be in a Kentucky uniform and we know very little of our schedule.

Oh yeah? Is the SEC that much harder than the Big 12?

Bringing all his players with an unlimited budget and even some of Cal’s players and you think he has a 9 game regression to 15 losses.

Do me a favor, sign out, go sign up for the Arkansas board, cheer for Cal to your hearts content.
Yes sir.. why does it have to be Arkansas board. Thought we called everyone a Louisville fan that didn't pump the kool aid. What Cal players are you thinking comes back cause we never returned any before.

• Sad
Reactions: track42
I don't feel like I could make an accurate prediction until I see a roster and a schedule.

My expectations are not high for next year. I am expecting NIT team to bubble team range. I am looking more toward the future with seeing how the culture around the program changes, how coach Pope reacts in close games, what recruiting looks like for 2025, etc.

I'm not one of those "We BeTtEr WiN tHe tItLe Or ElsE" mornons that demand a title without even seeing a roster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT