ADVERTISEMENT

Pope’s non conference schedule…

J-Ryan

Sophomore
Gold Member
Apr 18, 2020
How do we think it will look? Compared to what we are used to? Do you think we will see plenty of “cupcakes” early in the year or will Coach dramatically change that approach to the beginning of the season?

Reactions: d2atTech
I think this year is a "wash" in terms of quality of schedule. We still have the Zags and the Champions Classic and the CBS Classic. Outside of that I could see Pope schedule a couple of "directional schools" to help build some early momentum and start the season off with a couple of feel good wins. Which is completely understandable.

I don't expect seismic shifts.
CBS Classic will die one day soon because of tv contracts. That might open up variety.
But Mitch has to have a dozen home games with no return because every penny must be grubbed.
The question will be who those are against. Does he play Utah State instead of unc wilmington

Reactions: EliteBlue
He's not playing around and will want to schedule tough games.

St John's is going to happen and hopefully a couple unexpected games.

2025 Maui please!!
I don't foresee too many tough games this season. Next year though with a year of culture building, portal familiarity, NIL building, etc? He will start really scheduling good and challenging games.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
I dont think it changes much other than maybe more ooc tournaments. Maybe can get a guy that can evaluate the cupcakes and play higher level cupcakes. No high level power 6 teams are gonna play more than 5 to 6 ooc power 6 like teams.

Reactions: Zissou87
While there out West playing the Zags they should schedule a game with someone in Vegas maybe Utah Utah St maybe BYU.

Reactions: JPFisher
13 non-conference if league stays at 18 conference games.
Home- Loserville
Atlanta- PUKE
Seattle- Gonzaga
CBS -? - Ohio St.

I hope we drop the Champions Classic and the CBS classic.
Would much rather play in Maui or the Battle for Atlantis or another tourney.
Maybe even start our own tourney.

Reactions: gharding07
Question is how far in advance are game contracts written? Do we have obligations already set for this fall other than the Champions and CBS Classics?

Probably not a huge change from the jump other than the St John’s series.

We have agreements in place with Indiana, the CBS event (which I suspect won’t last much longer), Champions Classic, Gonzaga, and of course the SEC/ACC challenge.

In the short term, it would be cool to add some state schools into the mix for 1/2 of our annual “buy” games. That’s something else small that could happen in year 1.

Per his introductory press conference, I’d say early-season tournaments will be back in play in a couple of years (when we are next invited), including Maui.

Reactions: cat tat2
I hope we drop the Champions Classic and the CBS classic.
Would much rather play in Maui or the Battle for Atlantis or another tourney.
Maybe even start our own tourney.

Imo I get the nostalgia but we should absolutely stay in these. It's huge for brand awareness and exposure. I'm guessing they can be reconciled with the others too.

Change isn't always bad and us getting in those games were definitely a plus. Now with cal gone maybe we can get in that Nike tournament too. Cal's spat with Nike really hurt us for a while.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I think this year is a "wash" in terms of quality of schedule. We still have the Zags and the Champions Classic and the CBS Classic. Outside of that I could see Pope schedule a couple of "directional schools" to help build some early momentum and start the season off with a couple of feel good wins. Which is completely understandable.
Very wise if so.

I hope year 1 we schedule a lot of 100-200 type teams. Those are your resume builders. We don’t need over the top difficulty bc we need to capture some momentum and build a winning resume/outward perception/reparation under Pope….but no 300 type teams that kill SOS.

Reactions: bbncal02
While there out West playing the Zags they should schedule a game with someone in Vegas maybe Utah Utah St maybe BYU.
I can see them scheduling BYU at some point, I could also see him scheduling Utah Valley at some point. We will get an improved Louisville this year too.

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
I'd like to see a rotation of Eastern,Western Murray st and Moorehead on the schedule. Play at least one if not two of those every year.
That's better than the past several years of those stupid 300 ranked round Robin garbage

Non conference for this coming year is already loaded. No clue how it will look after that.

Hope we load it up with cupcakes this year...get some momentum.

Does sound like SJU home and home is confirmed

I wouldn't be surprised to see a series with BYU come about. And IU back on the schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT