POLITICAL THREAD

How will they rule ??!

• YES - Qualified

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • NO - Disqualified

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Your ignorance is vast. They are buying EXISTING buildings that they are already in as tenants.... They are flipping the script to become landlords in a very depressed commercial real estate market. They are not BUILDING those. READ. On the 75% they do not own you can certainly ask them the stupid question above..."Why the hell....." They would, like me, laugh in your face. Stay in your lane.

You really need to talk to an accountant assuming you can understand much of anything. You do not read well or comprehend. From your link:

Publix is on its own shopping spree

Publix continues to load up on real estate. The state’s dominant grocer now owns 25.9 percent of its stores, up from 22.9 percent at the end of 2014 and from just 10.7 percent a decade ago, according to an annual report released this week.

Simple math...it does NOT own 75% of the stores. I would assume that a smart company like Publix is acquiring the real estate in a separate company. Also Publix causes foot traffic in a center. It is a smart strategy in their case to AS IT STATES IN THE LINK acquire the ENTIRE center. They then become the landlord for all the other tenants who want to cluster near the Publix. They charge higher rents. For a real estate developer, that is what happens when you land a national account like Publix. You can land better adjoining tenants who pay more /sqft.

Why do companies/ Publix lease? Because in 10 years when they want to put a Super-Publix with whatever new business venture they want to get into, they can leave that cite and move down the street to the hot part of town into the upgraded facility. Plus tax reasons. Depreciation is like 39years. You cannot deduct the cost of the building like you apparently think they do. If they build/own a new store for say...$15,000,000 they can only deduct depreciation. Less than $400K per year for 39 years. If they lease they deduct the rent monthly. Accounting is way over your head. There are hundreds of variables and tax ramifications in the decision for them to acquire real estate but I like their apparent strategy of buying the entire center, not just their store. They no doubt have a separate LLC that holds the property. Not sure how an ESOP works with that strategy.
In the restaurant business, the company I work for owns many of the properties our restaurants sit on, but we do lease a lot of properties as well. The properties we own are under separate LLC's than the restaurant itself. the restaurant actually leases from the separate LLC the property sits on. That way if the restaurant underperforms and we close it, we still have the property to lease to whoever wants to take over the building.

We once sold a whole market of restaurants to another franchisee, but kept the land they sit on. So we are still making money as the landlord to those operators.

I am currently trying to sell commercial property I own. I can't speak to Publix, but I've learned enough to know you know what you are talking about. I had a long talk with my realtor yesterday (she is the top one in my area). We went into some of what you mention. With the fb economy, interest rates and some things more specific to my area, the commercial property market is crap.
Yep. The 17-story Hayburn Bldg in downtown Lou is under contract for ~$7.5 mil. The 5/3rd Bldg sold for about 8 or 9mil. Unbelievable bargain basement prices. The tallest building in Ft. Worth...

Commercial real estate requires tenants. There are a lot of reasons why Publix and others do not own. My company creates different LLC's to own the buildings we operate in. We create partnerships in the buildings to raise the money to acquire the property. Then lease the property back to the company. It is the most common practice out there, removing the asset from creditors of the business. Removes it from the balance sheet. The lease becomes the Liability on the BS, and that is only for the length of the lease.....NOT for the mortgage on the building.

There are sooooooooooooooo many things that he doesnt understand about business decisions wrt Own/Lease. Publix is going the "landlord" route for the entire center. Interesting plan in this environment.

There is also sell/leaseback "schemes" out there that I have been hit up on. The LLC that owns the property SELLS the building to another company and then Leases it back from the new owner. It allows you to pull your cash back out of the building but allows you to remain in the property via a lease.

Fun stuff.

I was just answering your question.

The rest of your post is hilariously nonsensical. You are stringing words together you think sound good, but in reality are nonsensical to anyone with a base level understanding of financial statements.
So you are standing by the assertion that Publix rents all their properties and expends nothing on land/buildings when opening new stores as well??? Please read this and get back to me. 🤣🤣
"The company’s ownership of its stores jumped from 11.2% in 2007 to 31.8% at the end of 2017." I'm sure it's higher now.
Why rent when you can own???
Facts as always.....

So you are standing by the assertion that Publix rents all their properties and expends nothing on land/buildings when opening new stores as well??? Please read this and get back to me. 🤣🤣
"The company’s ownership of its stores jumped from 11.2% in 2007 to 31.8% at the end of 2017." I'm sure it's higher now.
Facts as always.....

I never said any of that. I said you were stringing together words you didn’t understand.

Land and building investments in an expense portfolio impacting gross margin.

If that sounds like an educated thought, you probably think Bidenomics are great.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
I am currently trying to sell commercial property I own. I can't speak to Publix, but I've learned enough to know you know what you are talking about. I had a long talk with my realtor yesterday (she is the top one in my area). We went into some of what you mention. With the fb economy, interest rates and some things more specific to my area, the commercial property market is crap.
/2 another calculation that Publix is making is the fact that RMR that comes from good commercial real estate adds value to the company, and the stock holders. The valuation (Multiple of earnings) for a business that has a predictable cashflow from leases improves like a tech company that has RMR from "subscriptions."

I don't know that much about Publix but the valuation of a "grocery store" might be 7X or 12X, I don't know....but you add in RMR from a few hundred shopping centers with great tenants.....that would dramatically change the valuation of Publix....I assume. Wall Street loves that kind of model, predictable cash from many different tenants. Not all your eggs in the Publix basket. Diversify. They are smart. Just look at the valuation of an Apple because of the cell phone and the RMR.

Facts as always.....

Put down the shovel. Can you read! They are buying existing centers that they LEASED in when they made the decision to enter the property. They did not pay to build them as you seem not to comprehend.

Why rent when you can own??? Facts as always....they did and do. Please stop.

Facts as always.....

/2 You as usual post articles behind a paywall. You poach headlines. The one from Key West in the opening sentence before the pay wall kicks in....says that Publix is the ANCHOR TENANT. You know what a tenant is do you? So they are now buying THE ENTIRE CENTER. This is not about the Publix store itself. Its about acquiring an entire center with many tenants. THAT is totally different than what you believe. Oh its expensive to build a building so Publix is going to lose its ass on a new facility. THAT is your ignorance. You simply are showing that they are purchasing commercial real estate to leverage their being a tenant in that facility. Do you think they are now going to be "rent free" in that facility? Hell no. That is not how things work.

Put down the shovel. Can you read! They are buying existing centers that they LEASED in when they made the decision to enter the property. They did not pay to build them as you seem not to comprehend.

Why rent when you can own??? Facts as always....they did and do. Please stop.
You are either being purposefully ignorant.... Can't read....or both. Which is it? You are embarrassing yourself dude.
What EXISTING center is located on VACANT land??? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
At this point, if you had an ounce of pride you would admit your utter ignorance about this topic and just move on to other topics you also know nothing about.

"A zoning plan shows Publix will be built on an UNDEVELOPED plot of land at the southwest corner of Triple Crown Boulevard and Richwood Road."

Publix Buys LAND in Louisville, Plans to Develop Market’s Third Grocery Store

"An affiliate of the Florida-based Publix Super Markets chain bought about 9 acres of LAND on and near Brambleton Avenue Nov. 29 and confirmed Wednesday it will build a store there."

Publix Supermarkets Inc. has purchased a VACANT industrial land on Jacksonville’s Westside

VACANT land in northeastern Doral sold to Publix Super Markets last week for $4.77 million.

Reactions: Dionysus444
Your ignorance is vast. They are buying EXISTING buildings that they are already in as tenants.... They are flipping the script to become landlords in a very depressed commercial real estate market. They are not BUILDING those. READ. On the 75% they do not own you can certainly ask them the stupid question above..."Why the hell....." They would, like me, laugh in your face. Stay in your lane.

You really need to talk to an accountant assuming you can understand much of anything. You do not read well or comprehend. From your link:

Publix is on its own shopping spree

Publix continues to load up on real estate. The state’s dominant grocer now owns 25.9 percent of its stores, up from 22.9 percent at the end of 2014 and from just 10.7 percent a decade ago, according to an annual report released this week.

Simple math...it does NOT own 75% of the stores. I would assume that a smart company like Publix is acquiring the real estate in a separate company. Also Publix causes foot traffic in a center. It is a smart strategy in their case to AS IT STATES IN THE LINK acquire the ENTIRE center. They then become the landlord for all the other tenants who want to cluster near the Publix. They charge higher rents. For a real estate developer, that is what happens when you land a national account like Publix. You can land better adjoining tenants who pay more /sqft.

Why do companies/ Publix lease? Because in 10 years when they want to put a Super-Publix with whatever new business venture they want to get into, they can leave that site and move down the street to the hot part of town into the upgraded facility. Plus tax reasons. Depreciation is like 39years. You cannot deduct the cost of the building like you apparently think they do. If they build/own a new store for say...$15,000,000 they can only deduct depreciation. Less than $400K per year for 39 years. If they lease they deduct the rent monthly. Accounting is way over your head. There are hundreds of variables and tax ramifications in the decision for them to acquire real estate but I like their apparent strategy of buying the entire center, not just their store. They no doubt have a separate LLC that holds the property. Not sure how an ESOP works with that strategy.
My little brother has worked nearly 25 years for Publix, 7 years at corporate in Lakeland. They are very methodical in nearly all their actions. Helluva great company to work for.

/2 You as usual post articles behind a paywall. You poach headlines. The one from Key West in the opening sentence before the pay wall kicks in....says that Publix is the ANCHOR TENANT. You know what a tenant is do you? So they are now buying THE ENTIRE CENTER. This is not about the Publix store itself. Its about acquiring an entire center with many tenants. THAT is totally different than what you believe. Oh its expensive to build a building so Publix is going to lose its ass on a new facility. THAT is your ignorance. You simply are showing that they are purchasing commercial real estate to leverage their being a tenant in that facility. Do you think they are now going to be "rent free" in that facility? Hell no. That is not how things work.
Again, you missed the entire conversation prior to putting in your 2 cents. My point initially was that it was VERY expensive to open a new grocery store because of the extremely high cost of purchasing property, acquiring permits, hookups for water/gas/sewer, construction, and labor costs to build a new facility.
Lecter you said.... NAH....that is no problem because they all just rent. I called BS on that but now you have hitched onto that BS and are riding it like a fly on sh** too.
Try reading for a change. I know info is tough to decifer for you all unless it comes in a meme or Twatter format.

"A zoning plan shows Publix will be built on an UNDEVELOPED plot of land at the southwest corner of Triple Crown Boulevard and Richwood Road."

"An affiliate of the Florida-based Publix Super Markets chain bought about 9 acres of VACANT LAND on and near Brambleton Avenue Nov. 29 and confirmed Wednesday it will build a store there."

Publix Supermarkets Inc. has purchased a VACANT industrial land on Jacksonville’s Westside

VACANT land in northeastern Doral sold to Publix Super Markets last week for $4.77 million.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dionysus444
In the restaurant business, the company I work for owns many of the properties our restaurants sit on, but we do lease a lot of properties as well. The properties we own are under separate LLC's than the restaurant itself. the restaurant actually leases from the separate LLC the property sits on. That way if the restaurant underperforms and we close it, we still have the property to lease to whoever wants to take over the building.

We once sold a whole market of restaurants to another franchisee, but kept the land they sit on. So we are still making money as the landlord to those operators.
That was my point exactly....that Publix is spending lots of capital buying up land, building on it and moving away from renting their properties. They want to be landlord AND tenant.
Lecter absolutely refuses to believe that for some bizarre reason. Weird hill to fight for. 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: DrH. Lecter
Again, you missed the entire conversation prior to putting in your 2 cents. My point initially was that it was VERY expensive to open a new grocery store because of the extremely high cost of purchasing property, acquiring permits, hookups for water/gas/sewer, construction, and labor costs to build a new facility.
Lecter said.... NAH....that is no problem because they all just rent. I called BS on that but now you have hitched onto that BS and are riding it like a fly on sh** too.
Try reading for a change. I know info is tough to decifer for you all unless it comes in a meme or Twatter format.

"An affiliate of the Florida-based Publix Super Markets chain bought about 9 acres of VACANT LAND on and near Brambleton Avenue Nov. 29 and confirmed Wednesday it will build a store there."

You are too dumb to continue this conversation. Until you can explain why they did not do this from when they began in 1930 until now you are not worth talking to. You are ignorant of accounting. You have now idea HOW they structure their company.

FACTS for nearly 100 years they did not own their buildings and just in the past decade have changed that. They obviously have the scale and the cash to do so.

Stay in your lane. I'll come to you for advice on change a 6th graders diaper.

That was my point exactly....that Publix is spending lots of capital buying up land, building on it and moving away from renting their properties. They want to be landlord AND tenant.
Lecter absolutely refuses to believe that for some bizarre reason. Weird hill to fight for. 🤔

The properties we own are under separate LLC's than the restaurant itself. the restaurant actually leases from the separate LLC the property sits on.

That is NOT your point. You said that Publix is the one placing the new construction on the BS of the new store. He just told you that a SEPARATE LLC owns the bldg and leases back. Exactly what I said. You still do not understand what you are being told.

Yep. This is how its done. "We own" but through a separate LLC. We are in the construction business. Bonding companies look at our financials. The BS is clean because we rent. The mortgage and building is a liability on the LLC's financials. Essentially "we" rent from ourselves and pass through to the property LLC. "I" own both but they are different. Tax reasons and creditors are in a different position with the primary business. The building is something as you noted, can be rented out to another business if "I" want to move to a different location.

He just doesnt understand accounting practices and business reasons.

*checks McDonald’s app for price of a large coke at the nearest location*

$2.69

Probably even higher in various locations/states.
Not sure where you're located. I just looked at the one by me and it's $1.29 for any size. If I were to guess, it's likely up to the franchisee.

The Democrats in this thread are amazingly stupid... which also translates into "hilariously funny".

Please, Dems... continue to show your stupidity... its hilarious!

Side note: wouldn't any normal person be embarrassed by this?
In a weird way I am feeling sorry for him. He just doesnt understand what he is reading and is doubling down on things he doesnt understand.

LMAO, only wants CNN, MSNBC, CBS, maybe one other there, NO FOX. No audience, and they want to be able to shut mic off (when he starts mumbling) and they pick the moderator (to lob easy questions to mushy).. Trumps crew won't let that happen.
Only way to conduct a fair Presidential debate is to take the media affiliate out of it. Broadcast it on all major networks. Each candidate gets to choose a moderator of their own. So how many ever candidates that are on stage, that's how many moderators are there. Each Moderator gets to ask each candidate an equal number of questions.

In a weird way I am feeling sorry for him. He just doesnt understand what he is reading and is doubling down on things he doesnt understand.

In the old days, he would have added credentials to his backstory.

As a middle school teacher, the summers led me to fund a startup reselling textbooks. It eventually became Amazon.

He’s slipping in his old age.

So if the cost of everything they purchase is higher....and they are just passing those higher costs on to the consumer....then it should reflect typical profit margins, not record profits unless they are just screwing the consumers because they can. That's not inflation.... that's corporate greed.
And your rationale about opening new stores is asinine and shows how ignorant you are about businesses and profit margins.
Opening a new store is a black hole of initial costs. Land acquisition, zoning, permits, EPA, building costs, labor costs, electrical/gas/sewer hookups, route logistics, etc are mind bogglingly expensive. Those new stores don't turn a profit for quite a while after initial opening.
Btw...profits are monies made ABOVE monies spent. Showing record profits like I cited is doing exactly that regardless of inflation. These companies are making more than ever.
You. Are. Clueless.

This was sambowieshin’s original attempt at a point.

Obviously he has no understanding how accounting works. Probably never heard the term GAAP.

What I find amusing, is those out of pocket costs are true expenses in a lot of cases. And in some cases, you get the tax deduction for those actual out of pocket expenses quicker than the book deduction.

So sambowieshin will sit here trying to make the point that it’s very expensive to start a business (blind squirrel moment), but has no idea most of those costs are capitalized under GAAP, which is the exact reason those big evil corporations “pay no income tax” when you look at the tax rules that allow for the accelerated deductions to closure match cash outlays.

Hopefully he views this as a learning opportunity.

• Haha
Reactions: WTF Cat
The properties we own are under separate LLC's than the restaurant itself. the restaurant actually leases from the separate LLC the property sits on.

That is NOT your point. You said that Publix is the one placing the new construction on the BS of the new store. He just told you that a SEPARATE LLC owns the bldg and leases back. Exactly what I said. You still do not understand what you are being told.
You said that Publix has no initial startup costs to open a new grocery store. You said it pays nothing on construction or land because they only rent. I called BS.
I have cited multiple sources that refute what you say but you still maintain your fantasy.
You can spin how a company diversifies itself for tax purposes/liability all you want, but at the end of the day Publix is absolutely buying up land, building ITS own grocery stores and leasing to attached tenants on ITS property that Publix OWNS.....not leases from an outside company NOT connected with Publix.
Publix is the owner and tenant.....NOT just the tenant as you continue to falsely believe.

Trump has to debate Biden...he is the challenger. There is no other option, even w/ the stupid parameters Biden has asked for. Regardless, Biden can't sustain logic for the length of a debate.

We all know these debates will be carefully crafted to protect Biden and demonize Trump as much as possible. Trump is a deal maker. Why is he bending so easily on Biden's demands and not make him go on Fox once to get the other controlled debates?

This was sambowieshin’s original attempt at a point.

Obviously he has no understanding how accounting works. Probably never heard the term GAAP.

What I find amusing, is those out of pocket costs are true expenses in a lot of cases. And in some cases, you get the tax deduction for those actual out of pocket expenses quicker than the book deduction.

So sambowieshin will sit here trying to make the point that it’s very expensive to start a business (blind squirrel moment), but has no idea most of those costs are capitalized under GAAP, which is the exact reason those big evil corporations “pay no income tax” when you look at the tax rules that allow for the accelerated deductions to closure match cash outlays.

Hopefully he views this as a learning opportunity.
My initial point was 100 percent correct. Start up costs for a newly constructed Publix grocery store are very high. The company has to absorb those costs and that will be reflected in the bottom line regardless of how you play with the books.
You failed to mention Lecter's assertion that grocery businesses spend no money on land, construction, permits and/or labor costs because they only rent their facility and don't own the buildings/properties.
I have cited multiple sources showing that is absolutely incorrect.
Publix has a business model of moving away from being the tenant towards being landlord AND making tenants of other adjacent businesses. Kroger is moving toward that model as well.
They don't just rent their grocery space, they own it.
But keep backing up that wrong assertion if it makes you feel smarter.

We all know these debates will be carefully crafted to protect Biden and demonize Trump as much as possible. Trump is a deal maker. Why is he bending so easily on Biden's demands and not make him go on Fox once to get the other controlled debates?

He backed himself into a corner saying “anytime anywhere.”

He had to accept.

Now he just needs to hammer the details and propose as many rules and safeguards as possible to prevent the Biden admin from cheating.

My initial point was 100 percent correct. Start up costs for a newly constructed Publix grocery store are very high. The company has to absorb those costs and that will be reflected in the bottom line regardless of how you play with the books.
You failed to mention Lecter's assertion that grocery businesses spend no money on land, construction, permits and/or labor costs because they only rent their facility and don't own the buildings/properties.
I have cited multiple sources showing that is absolutely incorrect.
Publix has a business model of moving away from being the tenant towards being landlord AND making tenants of other adjacent businesses.
They don't just rent their grocery space, they own it.
But keep backing up that wrong assertion if it makes you feel smarter.

If you’re initial point was simply start up costs for a grocery store can be high, then you’re correct.

But you said there’s a black hole of costs that ensure the sites won’t be turning a profit for a long time leading one to think your point is the costs are immediately deductible against gross profit so it takes a while for stores to turn a profit. And that’s just not how accounting works.

Reactions: Stan the caddy
If you’re initial point was simply start up costs for a grocery store can be high, then you’re correct.

But you said there’s a black hole of costs that ensure the sites won’t be turning a profit for a long time leading one to think your point is the costs are immediately deductible against gross profit so it takes a while for stores to turn a profit. And that’s just not how accounting works.
Depends on how rapidly they are moving towards that end. You see it all the time.
Businesses open too many stores too rapidly only to get into financial trouble because the costs quickly begin to overtake the profits if not done correctly.

You said that Publix has no initial startup costs to open a new grocery store. You said it pays nothing on construction or land because they only rent. I called BS.
I have cited multiple sources that refute what you say but you still maintain your fantasy.
You can spin how a company diversifies itself for tax purposes/liability all you want, but at the end of the day Publix is absolutely buying up land, building ITS own grocery stores and leasing to attached tenants on ITS property that Publix OWNS.....not leases from an outside company NOT connected with Publix.
Publix is the owner and tenant.....NOT just the tenant as you continue to falsely believe.
Bless your heart. This started because you tossed out increased revenues and all the other headlines that you could find in a google search. I simply noted FACTS, that Publix is adding locations so their topline revenue would increase. FACT.

You then jump in out of total ignorance and assert that the cost of the new construction makes it impossible for them to increase topline revenue because of the acquisition of property and bricks and mortar. I in an attempt to educate you pointed out that there is the grocery side and they obviously in the last several years have spun up a Real Estate Division that they are using to acquire SHOPPING CENTERS where they lease. So tell us Einstein, with the headlines you linked, are the revenues from the tenants in the shopping centers they are acquiring in your totals? Again, the majority of their stores are LEASED to this date.

Again, are the rents from the other tenants now included in your increased revenue report? If they are the SAME company, the Publix ESOP, then they should be. But if they stand up a different Property Company called Publix Properties or Fred's Buildings LLC..... it is a DIFFERENT company established for reasons that are apparently wayyyy over your little head, they still LEASE from it. They dont get free rent. They are not stupid.

You are too "backwards" to know about these matters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT