POLITICAL THREAD

How will they rule ??!

• YES - Qualified

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • NO - Disqualified

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
InIother and completely not surprising news, Hilary dodges the Fox Debate.
When will morons on this site see her for what she is. Everyone else debates where ever, Hillary cowers from half of this country. Another Obama presidency if elected. Obama has been president for about half the nation per his own words. Pond scum.

The Middle East is a cauldron, Isis came about because we left Iraq before they were ready purely for political reasons, and now we're back over there cleaning up a mess we created Whether you or I think we should've been there is irrelevant once we overthrew their government. How many people have been killed because we left?

People were going to die had we never have gone in. People are dying because we went in. The only difference is who is dying. Saddam had people killed. The government we setup was killing people. Had we stayed 10 more or 100 years more it would all be the same. The problem with us going into Iraq is that it was our bull in the china shop so we are the ones who will be blamed for the current state of affairs.
Every time this subject is discussed I point back to the words of Norman Schwarzkopf when asked about why during the first Gulf War we didn't destroy Saddam's army and march into Baghdad when we easily could have done so. "We would still be there. We would be like a dinosaur in a tar pit."

Fuzz, Did you just compare the Govt we helped setup in Iraq to ISIS?

I'm not arguing about whether we should've went or not, looking back we shouldn't have. That's all for naught once we were there, we left before we should have, and that departure gave ISIS the chance to almost overthrow the govt.
They have killed tens of thousands, raped, pillaged and destroyed historical artifacts. The only reason we ramped up the fight, and quit giving them 45 min warnings before bombing was because Russia had turned the tide in Syria.
The problem we have is we think everyone wants to be like the United States....they don't.

The problem with most presidents is that they think they know better than the generals who have studied war history through their entire careers. If you (the president) and congress decide that it is our only option, make the decision and get out of the way and let those who are trained for battle do their job.

Obama's approval ratings continue to creep up and up, with 88% of Democrats and 54% of independents approving.

If Hillary just hides for four months and has Bill, Obama, and Warren do her dirty work, she'll win this thing going away. The less she talks, the better it is for her.

Obama's approval ratings continue to creep up and up, with 88% of Democrats and 54% of independents approving.

If Hillary just hides for four months and has Bill, Obama, and Warren do her dirty work, she'll win this thing going away. The less she talks, the better it is for her.

I don't understand how his approval ratings are so high. Is it because he's pretty much just been celebrity in chief for the last several months?

I don't understand how his approval ratings are so high. Is it because he's pretty much just been celebrity in chief for the last several months?
Because whatever you might think of his policies, he's a hell of a politician and campaigner. There have only been two people who've won 51% of the popular vote twice since WWII. He's one of them.

I think you are correct in theory, but how in the **** does she plan to do that running against Don Trump? Of all the people to get set in her way...

He is a cool dude. I can't stand him as president, but every time he was on my tv I watch every second.

Really all you need to be to be president is the type of person that can sell America whatever needs to be sold. I don't think Al Gore nor John Kerry could sell us on Iraq, and I know Mitt nor McCain were selling us Obamacare.

I don't know what Trump will need us to buy in on but I'm sure America will get behind him better than they would Hilliary!

Fuzz, Did you just compare the Govt we helped setup in Iraq to ISIS?

I'm not arguing about whether we should've went or not, looking back we shouldn't have. That's all for naught once we were there, we left before we should have, and that departure gave ISIS the chance to almost overthrow the govt.
They have killed tens of thousands, raped, pillaged and destroyed historical artifacts. The only reason we ramped up the fight, and quit giving them 45 min warnings before bombing was because Russia had turned the tide in Syria.
The problem we have is we think everyone wants to be like the United States....they don't.
No, I said the Govt we helped set up was killing people too. Not as many, they didn't advertise it but they did so all the same.
The "We left too soon" crowd must think that had we stayed longer that somehow a culture that has been killing people for 1500 years would somehow change. You seem to be in that crowd. You seem to think that we could fix'em if just given enough time. If not ISIS it would be another group. Once ISIS does fade away...and they will...another group will step into that vacuum of power and do terrible things. It's what they do.

The same people who don't want to pay taxes to provide college educations and/or healthcare to our own citizens seem to have no problem with spending billions upon billions of tax dollars banging our heads against the wall, killing people as well as losing some of our own to prevent somebody else from doing the killing.

I think you are correct in theory, but how in the **** does she plan to do that running against Don Trump? Of all the people to get set in her way...
Because Trump hasn't faced anybody like Obama or Clinton. Everybody in the Republican primary was either a bland stiff (Jeb!, Cruz, Carson, Walker, etc) or never the subject of Trump's attacks (Christie). Really the only dynamic character that went up against Trump was Rubio, and that's still a very assymmetric matchup.

The only time he went up against a real character in that primary (Fiorina), Trump got knocked down several pegs.

Bill and Barry are more than capable of dealing with the WWE nature of Trump's campaign, IMO. We'll see, though.

Reactions: Willy4UK
No, I said the Govt we helped set up was killing people too. Not as many, they didn't advertise it but they did so all the same.
The "We left too soon" crowd must think that had we stayed longer that somehow a culture that has been killing people for 1500 years would somehow change. You seem to be in that crowd. You seem to think that we could fix'em if just given enough time. If not ISIS it would be another group. Once ISIS does fade away...and they will...another group will step into that vacuum of power and do terrible things. It's what they do.

The same people who don't want to pay taxes to provide college educations and/or healthcare to our own citizens seem to have no problem with spending billions upon billions of tax dollars banging our heads against the wall, killing people as well as losing some of our own to prevent somebody else from doing the killing.

I don't think we're going to stop the killing, anywhere EVER. However this time we directly caused that killing by leaving too soon. Iraq wasn't ready, they told us, our military told us, yet we left anyway. Not to mention what it tells the rest of our allies, that you can count on us till it gets tough.
We turned their nation on its head, tried to instill a democracy and expected in 10 years it was good to go. Hell, we're still in Korea where we lost 10 times the number, Japan, Germany.

We kicked in the door, burned the house down, then yelled good luck guys as we strolled out.

[laughing]Essentially yes. Two different presidents though and one was hired on the notion that America was sick of Iraq.

Seriously we hit up the oil, and gas went through the roof. Then we bailed and moved more troops to Afghanistan and passed laws against prescribed pills(which was good) and brought home a ton of opium and heroine.

Then we called in the real troops and took out OBL who we used to motivate our country to get involved in both damn fights.

Americans really are just stupid! You'd think we'd want to completely move on from every politician during that whole time, but nope! Not us.

Because whatever you might think of his policies, he's a hell of a politician and campaigner. There have only been two people who've won 51% of the popular vote twice since WWII. He's one of them.

Hard to argue that. It helps when the msm is basically your mouthpiece.

While I hate his policies, I do admit I like him as a person. That goes a long way to the average idiot.

Reactions: Willy4UK
This. If you want to know the truth about Iraq and our business in the Middle East in general for the past half century you have to go back to where it all began and work forward. It all becomes pretty clear after that.

That's why I'm over this war thing. It's out of our hands (voters) at this point.

Reactions: DaBossIsBack
Anyone (and there are some posters on here who do) who thinks Trump cannot play and beat the Clinton's at their own game are once again heavily underestimating him.

Reactions: drawing_dead
Yep. Easy to look good when all your negative stories are filtered out. Like something out of House of Cards or Silicon Valley.
well of course the 4 horsemen of the internet apocalpyse all ride for Hillary & the left....Facebook, Google, Apple, Twitter. HOWEVER, the game that is afoot is 3 dimensional chess fellers.

Does anyone think it is an accident that only 6 months before election day Facebook is busted for tamping down conservative thought, conservative articles, conservative speech? That this "reveal" has been cocked & loaded for quite some time for a timely release? Now in fear of protecting their empires the silicon valley little emperors might feel their nuts being squeezed, and will cease putting their thumbs on the scale for Hillary & Dems this November. probably not completely, but even just a little easing up could make a difference.

People were going to die had we never have gone in. People are dying because we went in. The only difference is who is dying. Saddam had people killed. The government we setup was killing people. Had we stayed 10 more or 100 years more it would all be the same. The problem with us going into Iraq is that it was our bull in the china shop so we are the ones who will be blamed for the current state of affairs.
Every time this subject is discussed I point back to the words of Norman Schwarzkopf when asked about why during the first Gulf War we didn't destroy Saddam's army and march into Baghdad when we easily could have done so. "We would still be there. We would be like a dinosaur in a tar pit."

People still are not listening. George W Bush and his cabal of neocons certainly did not listen. He came into office with the idea of invading Iraq and is actually quoted in saying so, that is what he did. He ignored anybody and everybody who told him differently and proceeded to march the USA into the tar pit we had managed to avoid. Right wing nutjobs are now trying to say it was the democrats that did that. Utter BS They either can't or won't deal with the truth. Trying to pin Iraq on democrats is mere election minded claptrap.
Fear was ginned up by the neocons to cause people to accept possibly the worst decision by an American president in my lifetime.

Here is where Brent Scowcroft (one of many) warned Bush publically and emphatically about invading Iraq:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB1029371773228069195

Somebody earlier said something about Presidents that think they know more than their generals, well Bush is the posterboy for that remark.

Anyone (and there are some posters on here who do) who thinks Trump cannot play and beat the Clinton's at their own game are once again heavily underestimating him.

I think this is true. Trump is a bar room brawler. He's more than willing to get bloodied in order to get his own punches in. The key is to hit harder than your opponent does.

I don't think he "cannot" beat them in the public square, but surely you'd agree that Bill and Obama are both better speakers, better campaigners, and better fighters than anybody Trump faced in the primary, no?

All of that ignores the structural advantage they'll enjoy in the media, online, etc.

The other aspect of the forthcoming fight is that both Trump and a Clinton/Obama alliance expand the battlefield. Trump will turn WV into the reddest state of the Union and keep the democrats occupied in states that Cruz couldn't (Michigan, PA, etc). However, Bill and Obama's constituencies are very complementary: Obama has soaring approval ratings among millennials, blacks, and LGBTs. Bill has always done well with centrist southerners and rural blacks (remember that he carried Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, and Tennessee in 1996).

Really the only major voting bloc those two don't cover is the Latino vote, which is the one Trump has possibly forfeited already.

There's a reason why GOP leaders are terrified of a bloodbath in the House and Senate.

People still are not listening. George W Bush and his cabal of neocons certainly did not listen. He came into office with the idea of invading Iraq and is actually quoted in saying so, that is what he did. He ignored anybody and everybody who told him differently and proceeded to march the USA into the tar pit we had managed to avoid. Right wing nutjobs are now trying to say it was the democrats that did that. Utter BS They either can't or won't deal with the truth. Trying to pin Iraq on democrats is mere election minded claptrap.
Fear was ginned up by the neocons to cause people to accept possibly the worst decision by an American president in my lifetime.

Here is where Brent Scowcroft (one of many) warned Bush publically and emphatically about invading Iraq:
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB1029371773228069195

Somebody earlier said something about Presidents that think they know more than their generals, well Bush is the posterboy for that remark.
parody? trolling? lives in a bubble? hard to say really.....

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Yet another backtrack and flip flop from the Donald. Does he actually have a backbone or does he just say whatever he thinks people want to hear that day?

Trump a barroom brawler? Bet the pussy hasn't been in a fight in his life. Windbag is all talk.

Facebook story is so overblown like all others the conservatives cry about. Even some well regarded Republicans have said as much. Wow, a couple rogue employees curated out some conservative news stories. I still see plenty of conservative stories on my feeds. And so does everyone else because if you have conservative friends or like conservative pages, they will show up in your feed.

Yet another backtrack and flip flop from the Donald. Does he actually have a backbone or does he just say whatever he thinks people want to hear that day?

These are basically useless things to point out in the race now...Donald=Hillary in this regard. Didn't she tell a coalminer she "miss-spoke" about wanting to put them out of business a couple weeks ago?

They are both full of it.

Google doodles will win the election for Hillary. A doodle about a woman (lol) doing something (cooking? I don't remember) several months ago = in the bag for Hillary. I remember that day well. Might have even made a post about it. Day the republic died, imho. Doodles.

Reactions: DaBossIsBack

That may be right - but I'm not certain. There's a lot going on there. BO is still underwater overall, with an average approval rating of 48.8. Even that is impressive - the real way to assess how the public thinks an administration is doing its job, IMO, is the right track/wrong track numbers. Which right now are abysmal, with 26% saying the country is on the right track, and 65% saying wrong track. how to explain the difference between those horrible numbers and BO's relatively good approvals? As you and others say, he's just an appealing person. Seems like a good guy, people generally like him. But there's some complicating factors to that. Historically, when he gets at all "political" - meaning really advocates for something, especially any issue that is controversial or divides the public - his numbers go down. that's off the top of my head, by the way, haven't researched it, but that's my recollection. In that way, he's a little like Hillary - when he recedes from the spotlight, his numbers go up, when he comes out strongly, his numbers go down.

Viewed that way, I'm not certain his popularity does much for her if he comes out swinging, because usually when he does that, he's no longer popular. Warren I dismiss generally as much of an influencing factor - although she might hold sway with the Bernie crowd, and that alone might make the difference in the end. Bill, who can say at this point. As popular as he is in a nostalgia kind of way, I don't know how influential he'll be - especially with Tromp reminding everyone about those awful things he did and the awful things those women said about him.......

Agree with your general point - the less visible she is, the better Hillary will do. And I'm skeptical Tromp can win anyway, against anyone. But I don't know that proxies will do much for her........

Reactions: jamo0001
^ aren't the right track/wrong track polling numbers about the country as a whole? So it's possible, even likely in this climate where Congress has absurdly low approval ratings, that approval for a president/administration will be much higher than right track? Not sure if either have more predictive power than the other, though, so maybe right/wrong track are more relevant for determining whether a "third term" option is likely to be elected.

Late on this, but Nate Silver had a very nice, and very thorough, mea culpa on predicting Trump on fivethirtyeight.com. Long read (6000 words), but good view on how data journalism should work and where it breaks down. Hard to know with any certainty how this election cycle will work, but generally (haha) general elections are easier to predict than primaries. Then again, this is a wtf year.

I find it interesting that the FBI has been going after Terry McAuliffe, and that news of the investigation surfaces at this point of the campaign. Very close and long term ties to the Clintons. Will make it harder for Obama to sweep Hillary's transgressions under the rug if the FBI comes up with anything concrete on McAuliffe.

Wait, I thought the narrative was that Obama would prevent the FBI from actually prosecuting Hillary, so obviously this is just a smokescreen to make it seem like the FBI will go after anyone (he's connected to the Clintons), and they already know it can't get to Clinton because (D)?

IMO, the bigger the scope of the investigations associated with the Clintons and their closest advisors, the more likely something will be found and it would seem to make it harder to just wave it off.

OTOH, if McAuliffe knows he's going to get nailed, he'd probably prefer to have it wrapped up before Obama leaves office so that he can get a pardon.

I'm curious to see what Obama does with pardons as he leaves office.

IMO, the bigger the scope of the investigations associated with the Clintons and their closest advisors, the more likely something will be found and it would seem to make it harder to just wave it off.

Oh, I agree, it just doesn't really fit the narrative that I've heard here and Facebook.

Does the DOJ control who the FBI investigates? Or only who gets indicted? If it's the latter, the FBI's work on McAuliffe could be their effort to make it harder for the DOJ to let Hillary off the hook.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT