POLITICAL THREAD

How will they rule ??!

• YES - Qualified

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • NO - Disqualified

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

A simple illustration of why trying to rescue the third world by allowing mass migration doesn't work and does nothing but destroy the social fabric of our culture.

Love the shocked looks on people's faces. "Oh, we can't just import all the poor people of the world? Who knew?" I get the point, and it's fine, but did I miss something? Is anyone remotely mainstream saying we need to solve worldwide poverty with immigration, either now or 1995 when this video looked to be made (based on the haircuts and video quality)? The strongest I've seen is that economic opportunity is a contributor to illegal immigration (which is a truism throughout human history), and some softies think lack of economic opportunity at home is a reason illegals should stay, but maybe I don't hang out in the right crowds to hear the immigration solves poverty message. Maybe this guy could use straw next time - he'd have plenty left after ripping through that straw man.

So if Trump were to win the election, where would most of the political asylum seekers go? And which countries would be willing to accept an influx of hundred's of thousands or even millions of extremely liberal, pro-choice, pro LGT, etc. individuals?

Maybe they can try Saudi Arabia since you know, Muslims are so peaceful. Put their money where their mouth is.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
^ so "extremely liberal, pro-choice, pro LGT, etc. individuals" should go to Saudi Arabia to "[p]ut their money where their mouth is." Fan. Tastic. Take. Please, go on.

^ so "extremely liberal, pro-choice, pro LGT, etc. individuals" should go to Saudi Arabia to "[p]ut their money where their mouth is." Fan. Tastic. Take. Please, go on.

it was a joke. The same group I mentioned refuses to be critical of those people and always has a bleeding heart for them. It would be super entertaining to see them surround themseves with people and an ideology that they're all about bringing over here and accuse anyone who doesn't agree with them as being xenophobic.

it was a joke. The same group I mentioned refuses to be critical of those people and always has a bleeding heart for them. It would be super entertaining to see them surround themseves with people and an ideology that they're all about bringing over here and accuse anyone who doesn't agree with them as being xenophobic.

Ah, I see. Don't think that Venn diagram overlap is quite a circle, but I see.

Maybe we could have a show like that one that sent bratty teens to Africa for a couple of weeks? Have people sign up for the "I'm leaving the country if" program, and then follow them as they do things like: 1) spend a week in rural Saudi Arabia , 2) work cocaine fields in Colombia, 3) pay taxes in Sweden, 4) work in a shrimp shelling "factory" in Thailand, 5) actually work with the poor in [poor country to be named later in a drawing], and 6) help smuggle sex slaves in a port town in any country in the world, really. Could be fun. Like "Vice," only it's the loud a-holes (on both sides) that have to go. Could probably get Facebook or iTunes to slip that into the TOA, and by liking certain things you're auto signed up. Most likes = free trip!

Reactions: fuzz77 and WettCat
What is sad is the fact that you most likely actually believe what you just wrote.

Yep, we should tell seniors that if greedy corporate raiders raided the pension plan that they paid into and were promised in exchange for 40+ years of service with their employer that it's just "tough shit" and they should get used to the taste of Alpo because nobody owes them anything. It doesn't matter that they are 85 yrs old and in poor health.

We should tell families that if their child gets sick and they don't have $100's of thousands to pay for doctors, hospitals and medicines that they should just pray for healing because to help them just makes them reliant on others.

We should tell college students that it doesn't matter that when my generation was in college that a full year's tuition, room and board could be paid by a summer job at minimum wage and that now someone working full time at minimum wage wouldn't earn enough for college tuition even if they saved every penny they earned for a year.

Disabled? Go kill yourself or find a street corner to beg from because you'll become dependent if the govt helps you.

LOL

Love the shocked looks on people's faces. "Oh, we can't just import all the poor people of the world? Who knew?" I get the point, and it's fine, but did I miss something? Is anyone remotely mainstream saying we need to solve worldwide poverty with immigration, either now or 1995 when this video looked to be made (based on the haircuts and video quality)? The strongest I've seen is that economic opportunity is a contributor to illegal immigration (which is a truism throughout human history), and some softies think lack of economic opportunity at home is a reason illegals should stay, but maybe I don't hang out in the right crowds to hear the immigration solves poverty message. Maybe this guy could use straw next time - he'd have plenty left after ripping through that straw man.

Apparently youre in a very moderately liberal crowd. Because thats exactly what most liberals think. Anyone who wants to come, come on; and sign up for welfare too.

Apparently youre in a very moderately liberal crowd. Because thats exactly what most liberals think. Anyone who wants to come, come on; and sign up for welfare too.
Have yet to hear one Dem pol or talking head say anything otherwise. If you are here you are on a path to citizenship. They openly brag about using it to flip states. Power over everything else.

During a business dinner last week, man sitting next to me stated, "I just read an article that said Obama might be the most qualified person to ever become President." I asked him if he was joking, he said no.

Thus bluntly ended the political conversation. I realize I have fairly entrenched political views, but I cannot under any circumstances see how someone could justify that statement or buy into whatever drivel was in that article.

Reactions: drawing_dead

I went to law school in the West Village. I've been to talks/presentations with people at immigration reform non-profits and think tanks. Some of my law school friends do immigration law. I even dated (briefly) someone at a pro-immigration non-profit. I haven't heard that position - "Anyone who wants to come, come on; and sign up for welfare too." But the cases they take up are usually asylum based, which is about prosecution (not lack of economic opportunity) in their home glass jars, er, countries.

Reactions: -LEK-
During a business dinner last week, man sitting next to me stated, "I just read an article that said Obama might be the most qualified person to ever become President." I asked him if he was joking, he said no.

Thus bluntly ended the political conversation. I realize I have fairly entrenched political views, but I cannot under any circumstances see how someone could justify that statement or buy into whatever drivel was in that article.
So in your opinion, what qualifies one to be President? (

What role does one's political beliefs hold in those qualifications?
In other words, is it possible for you to see someone with whom you politically disagree, as qualified to be POTUS?

^ no matter someone's political leanings, Obama was not the most qualified. I would put holding executive office up there as a requirement to be in the most qualified category. Doesn't mean one cannot be a good president if not well qualified, or a bad one if well qualified.

Warriors will beat the Spurs, who might lose to OKC (not likely, but might). Unless Curry's ankle is an issue (or other injuries).

Have yet to hear one Dem pol or talking head say anything otherwise. If you are here you are on a path to citizenship. They openly brag about using it to flip states. Power over everything else.

Exactly. Its worked too.

So you know "most liberals"?
Or that is what you are told by your leaders???

I have neither leaders, a party, nor entrenched political views. I just call it like I see it. Unlike you, Im not on some bizarre crusade to convert non liberals on a message board.

I went to law school in the West Village. I've been to talks/presentations with people at immigration reform non-profits and think tanks. Some of my law school friends do immigration law. I even dated (briefly) someone at a pro-immigration non-profit. I haven't heard that position - "Anyone who wants to come, come on; and sign up for welfare too." But the cases they take up are usually asylum based, which is about prosecution (not lack of economic opportunity) in their home glass jars, er, countries.

Id say thats a very fair position. Asylum cases are probably not from non latin countries; if im guessing. Thats where the intentional, refusal to enforce immigration laws are used for political gain.

Last edited:
There's a difference in saying 1) "we're going to focus deportation on X people, not Y," and 2) "Come on over, everyone! Free welfare for everyone!" While the second may be a side effect of the first (in principle if not scale), they're not equivalent. Feel free to criticize the former and/or the latter, but they're different. And getting back to gumball guy from 1995, who is arguing that we solve third world poverty by taking in immigrants? That's either responding to some world citizen/no borders argument that is far from mainstream even among liberals, or just an easy strawman.

What we really need is another Australia. Send our trash out, and then screen incoming to select the best/brightest.

I dont have neither leaders, a party, nor entrenched political views. I just call it like I see it. Unlike you, Im not on some bizarre crusade to convert non liberals on a message board.

Same guy wants to legalize tranny molestation and indecent exposure to young kids in public school bathrooms.

Can't wait till cancer doctors link Democrats as the cause of American occurring cancer.

"Researchers have confirmed that Hillary Clinton causes cancer"

Also can't wait to see what Hillary has on those emails. Bet there is evidence of Hillary and Obama selling nuclear weapons to Al Queda and ISIS

Reactions: -LEK-

Keep it simple, racist is the term your looking for.

Xenophobic sounds too complicated and name calling is much easier when you don't have to define the name.

What is sad is the fact that you most likely actually believe what you just wrote.

Yep, we should tell seniors that if greedy corporate raiders raided the pension plan that they paid into and were promised in exchange for 40+ years of service with their employer that it's just "tough shit" and they should get used to the taste of Alpo because nobody owes them anything. It doesn't matter that they are 85 yrs old and in poor health.

We should tell families that if their child gets sick and they don't have $100's of thousands to pay for doctors, hospitals and medicines that they should just pray for healing because to help them just makes them reliant on others.

We should tell college students that it doesn't matter that when my generation was in college that a full year's tuition, room and board could be paid by a summer job at minimum wage and that now someone working full time at minimum wage wouldn't earn enough for college tuition even if they saved every penny they earned for a year.

Disabled? Go kill yourself or find a street corner to beg from because you'll become dependent if the govt helps you.

It is not the role of government to perform ANY of the services you are citing above.
In fact, one of the main reasons health care is so high, tuition is so high, etc...is because providers know that government has bottomless pockets.

As for Seniors, we should make good any promises that have been made .....and not make those same promises to others.

It is not the role of government to perform ANY of the services you are citing above. In fact, one of the main reasons health care is so high, tuition is so high, etc...is because providers know that government has bottomless pockets.

As for Seniors, we should make good any promises that have been made .....and not make those same promises to others.
FYI, tuition has skyrocketed as government has made less and less contribution into higher education.
Health care costs increases have come on the backs of private, non-government paid insurance plans and individuals willing to pay "whatever" to get health care. It is the healthcare market that is seeking whatever the market will bear. If you are on Medicare or Medicaid the government doesn't pay full market price for services. There are many providers who don't want to serve those on Medicare/Medicaid because they pay reduced rates. You've got it wrong there Bud, it's the private sector with the bottomless pit of money and the market will take all of that money that it can get.
I don't guess you bothered to ask yourself why Canada and western Europe spend about 60% of what we do on healthcare?

The government didn't make promises that corporate pension plans would remain solvent. Go study up on the corporate raiders of the 1990's and get back with me.

I take it that you're not a student of history. Perhaps if you were you would understand why government got involved. Perhaps you would see what has happened in those places where their governments didn't take actions to promote the general welfare of its citizenry and compare those places to where it did.

Oh, I know...you will argue that it is the place for private charity and for families to help....and I agree. But where were those families and charities when we had children and elderly literally starving to death and living in abject poverty before any of these plans existed?
Yes, we still have people who live in poverty today...thing is, the definition of poverty has changed...and substantially so. What is poverty today would have been considered almost middle class in 1930.

FYI, tuition has skyrocketed as government has made less and less contribution into higher education.

Has nothing to do with reducing subsidies and everything to do with skyrocketing administrative salaries. The same salaries that universities refuse to cut even today.

Health care costs increases have come on the backs of private, non-government paid insurance plans and individuals willing to pay "whatever" to get health care. It is the healthcare market that is seeking whatever the market will bear. If you are on Medicare or Medicaid the government doesn't pay full market price for services. There are many providers who don't want to serve those on Medicare/Medicaid because they pay reduced rates. You've got it wrong there Bud, it's the private sector with the bottomless pit of money and the market will take all of that money that it can get.
I don't guess you bothered to ask yourself why Canada and western Europe spend about 60% of what we do on healthcare?

Of course private sector will take all the money it can get, as it should. The problem with medicare/medicaid is the immense amount of fraud and government waste that forces the program to continually cut reimbursement rates. Cut the waste and fraud, and the reimbursements go up.

The government didn't make promises that corporate pension plans would remain solvent. Go study up on the corporate raiders of the 1990's and get back with me.

Yes the government has a pension guarantee fund that guarantees a portion of certain pensions, which usually ends up being a joke. The real problem is with the bankruptcy laws which allow giant companies to dump their pension obligations on the government. Tighter bankruptcy laws wouldve negated alot of government money spent.

Either way, with the shift to 401(k)s and other employee funded plans, that entity SHOULD be extinct soon. But.....have you ever known a government program to just shut down once its outlived its usefulness?

Reactions: P19978
Last edited:
And, revisiting another sore spot, the Treasury Department’s retroactive rewrite of the tax policy (to prevent the Allergan/Pfizer merger).

At 40%, the US has a higher corporate tax rate than Argentina (35%), Greece (29%), Nigeria (30%), Russia (20%), Sudan (35%) and Venezuela (34%). Of the 132 largest countries as measured by GDP, the US is only second to the United Arab Emirates (55%) as having the highest corporate tax rate in the world.

I think I'd rather pay the 5% premium than do business in the Sudan.

Our corporate tax rate is beyond idiotic.

WHARAS R FITEEN DOLLA UH HOUR JOBS!!!!!

Other countries, that's were.

And, revisiting another sore spot, the Treasury Department’s retroactive rewrite of the tax policy (to prevent the Allergan/Pfizer merger).

At 40%, the US has a higher corporate tax rate than Argentina (35%), Greece (29%), Nigeria (30%), Russia (20%), Sudan (35%) and Venezuela (34%). Of the 132 largest countries as measured by GDP, the US is only second to the United Arab Emirates (55%) as having the highest corporate tax rate in the world.
Singling out any single tax and comparing against others is really a poor way to look at taxation. Taxation has to be examined on the whole. Lowering corporate rates would have to be balanced by either raising other rates or new taxes.
Total taxation vs GDP...
US 26.9%
Greece 30%
Nigeria 6.1%
Russia 19.5%
Sudan 6.3%
Venezuela 25%

Ireland is often brought up for its low corporate rates...however its total taxation vs GDP is 30.8%. The bottom individual tax bracket is 20% plus they pay a 23% VAT on goods and 9-13% on services.

Other notables... Great Britain 39%, France 44.6% , Italy 43.5%, Germany 40.6%
If low taxes were the end all and be all of economic growth then you would think the continent of Africa would be an economic juggernaut.

Singling out any single tax and comparing against others is really a poor way to look at taxation. Taxation has to be examined on the whole. Lowering corporate rates would have to be balanced by either raising other rates or new taxes.
Total taxation vs GDP...
US 26.9%
Greece 30%
Nigeria 6.1%
Russia 19.5%
Sudan 6.3%
Venezuela 25%

Ireland is often brought up for its low corporate rates...however its total taxation vs GDP is 30.8%. The bottom individual tax bracket is 20% plus they pay a 23% VAT on goods and 9-13% on services.

Other notables... Great Britain 39%, France 44.6% , Italy 43.5%, Germany 40.6%
If low taxes were the end all and be all of economic growth then you would think the continent of Africa would be an economic juggernaut.

Those numbers are a little misleading. Does your total taxation include state and local tax because those are substantial in this country? You throw in a country like Greece but the Greeks are known to be some of the worst tax cheats on the planet. They lie about their income. It seems like a lot of apple and orange comparison.

And tons of wealthy Britons are tax exiles.

Lowering corporate and personal taxes could also be balanced by spending cuts. Not sure why you left that one off, fuzz arnold

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT