POLITICAL THREAD

How will they rule ??!

• YES - Qualified

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • NO - Disqualified

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Brooks, like most NYTimes writers, has his finger firmly on the pulse of nothing. But he could be right here - Trump may go down in flames. As everyone says the map is kind of fixed between red and blue, which means there really can't be any blowouts any more. Trump alone can change the map, for better or worse, so he might actually be capable of a Mondale or McGovern kind of loss.

And I think his ego couldn't take that. I think there's every chance that if it's October and he's clearly going to lose based on polling, that rather than have his obituary start out with something like "biggest loser in history of American politics", he'd bail first. Yeah, I mean after he gets the nomination and before the election. Unheard of, but who is he beholden to, exactly? You think he's worried about the Republican Party or any institution or any individual? No. He's worried about Donald J. Trump and his legacy, and no one else.

A Kasich rep said this weekend they look forward to Trump dropping out of the race. Not at all inconceivable.....

Keep dreaming.

AboutHarryTruman.jpg

Al Gore may have been the most boring candidate we have ever had. He makes Mike Huckabee look like a Las Vegas street party.

Wish I had a tape of his monotone voice so I could use it on nights I can't sleep
I had a friend who knew a Secret Service agent assigned to the protective detail. He said they had an alarm for possible fire at the VP house one day, busted in the private quarters, and Al was pouring it to Tipper in the hot tub. The steam set off the alarm. I had a little more respect for Gore after that...

I had a friend who knew a Secret Service agent assigned to the protective detail. He said they had an alarm for possible fire at the VP house one day, busted in the private quarters, and Al was pouring it to Tipper in the hot tub. The steam set off the alarm. I had a little more respect for Gore after that...

Damn, I always wanted to bang early 1980s Tipper

the masseuse in washington state (or somewhere else in the northeast?) who claims Algore tried to force her into giving him a happy ending said he did make some strange sounds

of course yet another case where War On Women female liberals took the man's side and slut shamed his accuser

the masseuse in washington state (or somewhere else in the northeast?) who claims Algore tried to force her into giving him a happy ending said he did make some strange sounds

of course yet another case where War On Women female liberals took the man's side and slut shamed his accuser

Its only a war on women when conservatives tell them they cant kill babies. Duh.

Tell me this doesn't sound like The Onion.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...iolating-university-safe-space-by-raising-he/

Student accused of violating university 'safe space' by raising her hand

A university student was threatened with being thrown out of a meeting after being accused of violating “safe space” rules - by raising her hand.

Imogen Wilson, the vice-president for academic affairs at Edinburgh University Students’ Association (EUSA), spoke out against safe space rules becoming “a tool for the hard left to use when they disagree with people”, following the incident last week.

Ms Wilson, 22, was subject to a “safe space complaint” over her supposedly “inappropriate hand gestures” during a student council meeting.

“Safe space is essential for us to have a debate where everyone can speak, but it can’t become a tool for the hard left to use when they disagree with people.”

According to the association’s rules, student council meetings should be held in a “safe space environment”, defined as “a space which is welcoming and safe and includes the prohibition of discriminatory language and actions”.

This includes “refraining from hand gestures which denote disagreement”, or “in any other way indicating disagreement with a point or points being made”.

“Disagreements should only be evident through the normal course of debate,” it says.

Ms Wilson said she raised her arms in disagreement after being accused by another speaker of failing to respond to an open letter, despite in fact having made efforts to contact the letter’s authors.

A complaint was made against Ms Wilson, who was then subjected to a vote on whether she should be removed from the room.

Although the vote went in her favour, with 18 people voting to remove her and 33 voting for her to be allowed to remain, she was later threatened with another complaint after shaking her head while someone was speaking....

Lol

Whenever a words like transparent, safe space, equality, etc...are used you can guaranFntee the exact opposite is happening. It's scary, tbh.

QFMFT

Absolutely. Safe spaces are actually where pissed off dangerous people are. Transparent means, hidden from total awareness and observation. equality means "I'm offended"

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Would love to see FTS' explanation of the "so called corporate inversion scam" and specifically why he's against it.

LOL. Well that's a damn good reason to be against something.

I'm not necessarily "for" corporate inversions. I just have a base level understanding of them and don't get scared by headlines or because "a lot of people are against it".

In general, though, I'm "for" any strategy that legally reduced one's tax burden.

Reactions: P19978
Mississippi law just went into effect today allowing refusal of service and business to gays based on religious beliefs.

The more states pass these laws, the more this becomes a bigger issue in November with the SCOTUS opening.
Remarkable that the same states that had to be kicked and dragged into the civil rights era are repeating history with gays. Without any doubt the state of Mississippi is the most bigoted state in the union. I've been down to the grove a few times last being two years ago and I heard the word "ni&&er" spoken more times in those few hours than I would hear it spoken in the other 364 days of the year combined.

Some folks just have to have someone they can hate on. Guess it makes them feel better about themselves.

Remarkable that the same states that had to be kicked and dragged into the civil rights era are repeating history with gays. Without any doubt the state of Mississippi is the most bigoted state in the union. I've been down to the grove a few times last being two years ago and I heard the word "ni&&er" spoken more times in those few hours than I would hear it spoken in the other 364 days of the year combined.

Some folks just have to have someone they can hate on. Guess it makes them feel better about themselves.

Sadly, that doesn't seem too remarkable at all....

Mississippi law just went into effect today allowing refusal of service and business to gays based on religious beliefs.

The more states pass these laws, the more this becomes a bigger issue in November with the SCOTUS opening.

Mississippi is the fattest, most religious and least educated state in the union. Glean from that what you will.

This kind of legislation (religious freedom aka Christian privilege aka legalized discrimination) is why I can never support social conservatives, therefore can't support 95 percent of the GOP. Just F awful terrible for no GD reason other than "this book I like that may or may not be true thinks you're icky and therefore you shouldn't have the same rights as me."

I know this would shock everyone, but I'd rather see a liberal nominee for this very reason. Social conservatives are shitty at civil rights. (Fun fact: They used to be Democrats 50 years ago.)

Mississippi is the fattest, most religious and least educated state in the union. Glean from that what you will.

I think the education in Florida is worse, believe it or not.

But you are right. No way should someone's religion should trump someone's personal individual freedom.

You can't give freedoms to businesses, that individuals themselves cannot get. That is bullshit and goes against the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution "All men are equal".

This bill will be killed and Mississippi will waste tax payer money trying this. Moronic. Just stupid.

Mississippi can’t shake its addiction to federal funds.

State lawmakers are in the final stages of drafting the state’s $6 bi-lion budget, from which an increasing part comes from Washington. From 2002 to 2012, Mississippi received the largest percentage of its annual revenue from D.C. — more than any other state — according to a recently released report by State Budget Solutions, a national organization focusing on fiscal responsibility.

FLYING HIGH: Mississippi’s state budget has the highest percentage of federal funds by any state, according to a recent report.

From 2001-2012, more than 45 percent, on average, of Missisippi’s budget has come from D.C. Twice in that time the state’s federal take pushed above the 50 percent line — in 2004 and 2007. Hurricane Katrina, which hit in 2005, and the federal stimulus in 2009 also boosted those numbers

Fiscally, Mississippi is absolutely a leech on American tax payers.

Always loved the argument that the federal government should tax the hell out of people, but then the residents of one state are bad if the federal government programs result in a disproportionate amount of money getting allocated to their geographical area of the nation.

We are all residents of the US.

If you want federal funds to be allocated based on the amount residents of each state contribute, then eliminate the federal income tax and leave it up to the states to tax the hell out of their residents.

But it's always the people who yell loudest for higher federal taxes who will point out residents of geographical areas of the United States, commonly known as Kentucky or Mississippi, etc., have a disproportionate amount of federal funds being allocated.

Of course they do. It takes money to maintain all these federal programs you guys love.

Reactions: KY_Kid and ram1955
Mississippi can’t shake its addiction to federal funds.

State lawmakers are in the final stages of drafting the state’s $6 bi-lion budget, from which an increasing part comes from Washington. From 2002 to 2012, Mississippi received the largest percentage of its annual revenue from D.C. — more than any other state — according to a recently released report by State Budget Solutions, a national organization focusing on fiscal responsibility.

FLYING HIGH: Mississippi’s state budget has the highest percentage of federal funds by any state, according to a recent report.

From 2001-2012, more than 45 percent, on average, of Missisippi’s budget has come from D.C. Twice in that time the state’s federal take pushed above the 50 percent line — in 2004 and 2007. Hurricane Katrina, which hit in 2005, and the federal stimulus in 2009 also boosted those numbers

Fiscally, Mississippi is absolutely a leech on American tax payers.

It's kinda seems like the rest of the union is getting a shitty deal keeping them in the roster. I say we trade 'em for Costa Rica.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
If you want federal funds to be allocated based on the amount residents of each state contribute, then eliminate the federal income tax and leave it up to the states to tax the hell out of their residents.

I wish this could happen.

It's kinda seems like the rest of the union is getting a shitty deal keeping them in the roster. I say we trade 'em for Costa Rica.

At least get some high quality cocaine out of that deal.

My only issue is when states use money to tie up dumb issues that end up becoming a financial drain on the tax payers. Then ask federal gov't for more money. Well, if you hadn't tried wasting money on dumb issues, you might just have more money. derp derp.

At least get some high quality cocaine out of that deal.

My only issue is when states use money to tie up dumb issues that end up becoming a financial drain on the tax payers. Then ask federal gov't for more money. Well, if you hadn't tried wasting money on dumb issues, you might just have more money. derp derp.

man willy, you are asking leadership to use common sense--if only that would happen.

A lot of people are against it. I'd like to know why you are for it, Cos.

LOL. Well that's a damn good reason to be against something.

Youre looking at exactly how the liberal left have taken over the thought process of the country. Basically the age old trick of "the cool kids are doing it". A misleading headline, a cool hashtag, a funny John Stewart/John Oliver segment. Thats all it takes, and a large contingent of the voting public makes their decision. And if you disagree, YOURE stupid.

A shockingly low, and shrinking, portion of the population has neither the desire nor the ability to think for themselves. We're doomed.

Reactions: ram1955 and WettCat
The vast majority of the population know absolutely nothing about corporate inversions. They think Burger King just bought a PO box in Canada and can now avoid all US taxes. FTS likely falls into that group.

What's scary is the extent the Treasury Department is going to to target certain politically undesirable happenings - again. Why not leave the law making up to the legislative branch.

Reactions: drawing_dead
^ because a long time ago the legislative branch gave agencies the power of rule making, by which agencies effectively fill in the details of legislative enactments. As long as the rule is within the legislatively delegated power, the agency can issue the rule (with certain other caveats).

The vast majority of the population know absolutely nothing about agency rulemaking. They think Treasury just issues laws on their own and usurps the legislative branch. Bill Cosby likely falls into that group. o_O

Reactions: From-the-stands
George Mason renamed its law school after Antonin Scalia in exchange for $30 million in donations. Not surprising, as George Mason is a slightly right leaning law school. Entirely appropriate, even. Unfortunately for them, the Antonin Scalia School of Law = ASSoL. Or ASSLaw. Or ASSOL. Brilliant marketing department there. They're trying to go for The Antonin Scalia Law School at George Mason, but it might be too late for them.

^ because a long time ago the legislative branch gave agencies the power of rule making, by which agencies effectively fill in the details of legislative enactments. As long as the rule is within the legislatively delegated power, the agency can issue the rule (with certain other caveats).

The vast majority of the population know absolutely nothing about agency rulemaking. They think Treasury just issues laws on their own and usurps the legislative branch. Bill Cosby likely falls into that group. o_O

The legislative creation and delegation as it relates to agencies has been nothing short of disaster. The amount of regulations promulgated is just staggering. How many volumes of the ALR are there now? Id be scared to even guess. The average American would be shocked to know the extent of the useless regulations promulgated.

At this point, basically everything violates something. It would be more efficient to just tell us what IS legal. Id imagine that would take 1 volume at most, sadly.

The legislative creation and delegation as it relates to agencies has been nothing short of disaster. The amount of regulations promulgated is just staggering. How many volumes of the ALR are there now? Id be scared to even guess. The average American would be shocked to know the extent of the useless regulations promulgated.

At this point, basically everything violates something. It would be more efficient to just tell us what IS legal. Id imagine that would take 1 volume at most, sadly.

Actually its the CFR. The ALR is just the annotated reporter that discusses the CFR and decisions based on them. Small distinction, but still.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT