POLITICAL THREAD

How will they rule ??!

• YES - Qualified

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • NO - Disqualified

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Now I'm confused. That sounds exactly like something someone would say if their entire retirement was in a fund that's is going to implode.

There's a reason they rushed to get the bill passed.
There's a reason they gave no time for the the bill to be read/debated
Changes needed to be made but not at the expense at which it happened
Disgusting move by the governor.

I can’t feel too terribly sorry for teachers based on some of the ones I know/had.

One HS teacher was making in the 80k range - had no class 1st period and detention after school. She was a fine teacher, but 80? That’s nice.

Others I know started out of college making 38 w/auto 2k bumps no matter the performance.

For 9 or so months a year? Not too bad.

They need to move to DC plan going forward.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I can’t feel too terribly sorry for teachers based on some of the ones I know/had.

One HS teacher was making in the 80k range - had no class 1st period and detention after school. She was a fine teacher, but 80? That’s nice.

Others I know started out of college making 38 w/auto 2k bumps no matter the performance.

Glorified elected county file clerks average 80k a year also. They take my money, check for my insurance and issue a car tag and plate. You think you could do that online.

Well I'm sure sticking it to the children and their parents is really going to show him.

All parties here are on the wrong.

And I'd love to hear your ideas on what could be done that don't involve raising my taxes.
You have to raise revenue or shift revenue. If you shift it only change where the problem is.
The problem with moving people out of the pension plan is it will cost more money.

If it’s such a great gig, then why aren’t you doing it?

If it's so awful, why do you do it? Why's there a waiting list in ky where people are waiting for teaching jobs?

You can't be serious. This is NOT about the teachers.

Then who's it about? Did someone force teachers to throw a fit and throw kids to the curb? All these kids will be going more days in the summer because of all the protesting and whining.

If you don't like it - quit. Do something else. Noone forces you to be a teacher. But I guess it's too hard to give up the great pay (considering working 3/4 the year), retiring early with great benefits (assuming Dems don't retake control and rob it blind....again), short work days, being impossible to fire, and getting off anytime it snows.

Bevin ought do what Reagan did when air traffic employees went on strike - fire them all. Start over. I bet plenty of private schools could open within a few weeks

Reactions: IdaCat
If it's so awful, why do you do it? Why's there a waiting list in ky where people are waiting for teaching jobs?

Then who's it about? Did someone force teachers to throw a fit and throw kids to the curb? All these kids will be going more days in the summer because of all the protesting and whining.

If you don't like it - quit. Do something else. Noone forces you to be a teacher. But I guess it's too hard to give up the great pay (considering working 3/4 the year), retiring early with great benefits (assuming Dems don't retake control and rob it blind....again), short work days, being impossible to fire, and getting off anytime it snows.

Bevin ought do what Reagan did when air traffic employees went on strike - fire them all. Start over. I bet plenty of private schools could open within a few weeks

And let me follow up with this - the older generation teachers would've never had this issue. They did it because they loved what they did. Even though underpaid they traded that for the incredible time off and early retirement.

At some point that shifted where the newer generation wants the best of both worlds. With pay and benefits equal to other jobs, while working 3/4 the time.

Reactions: JStaff2187

It’s true that there is an oversupply in early childhood education teachers. But surely that’s not who you want teaching Chemistry, Trig, or AP Biology?
And by the way I don’t do it and I don’t want to do it.

This bill reportedly will require local governments to pay an additional 2% of the salaries/pension contributions for their school system employees, with even greater increases in some counties. That inevitably will come in the form of property (school) tax increases for you and me.

This "reform" is projected to save only $10 million per year, yet it's guaranteed to result in less money being paid into the current pension system because new hires won't be a part of it. As a result, we'll be right back here in a few years after the next economic downturn with Republicans arguing that we have to cut benefits for everyone because we don't have the money to pay them. All this while the Governor continues to fight against the disclosure of how current pension funds are invested, who receives commissions for handling those accounts, etc.

The solution to this problem has been and will continue to be broadening the revenue base by legalizing and taxing expanded gaming and cannabis, not increasing current income, corporate, or property taxes. But the Republicans headed by our carpetbagging Governor have repeatedly refused to consider these options.

Every legislator who supported fundamentally changing the pension system in this state without actually reviewing the bill, requiring an actuarial analysis to understand its impact, or allowing the voters to see what they're doing before the vote should be gone.

It's a travesty, and I'm embarrassed to have been involved in Kentucky Republican politics for so many years.

And let me follow up with this - the older generation teachers would've never had this issue. They did it because they loved what they did. Even though underpaid they traded that for the incredible time off and early retirement.

At some point that shifted where the newer generation wants the best of both worlds. With pay and benefits equal to other jobs, while working 3/4 the time.
The older male teachers I knew all had summer jobs because they weren’t paid while on their incredible time off and if they did take their early retirement, it was because they could earn more on their other job.

It’s true that there is an oversupply in early childhood education teachers. But surely that’s not who you want teaching Chemistry, Trig, or AP Biology?
And by the way I don’t do it and I don’t want to do it.

If they are as qualified, I don't see the problem.

The older male teachers I knew all had summer jobs because they weren’t paid while on their incredible time off and if they did take their early retirement, it was because they could earn more on their other job.

Ya because they have an insane amount of time not working otherwise. Can you imagine having a job with great benefits and good wage that also gives you do much time off you can work a second career?

Per day worked, teachers are well paid.

I still remember the march on Frankfort when they had to start paying anything towards an exorbitant health insurance plan.

Reactions: TopCatCal
This bill reportedly will require local governments to pay an additional 2% of the salaries/pension contributions for their school system employees, with even greater increases in some counties. That inevitably will come in the form of property (school) tax increases for you and me.

This "reform" is projected to save only $10 million per year, yet it's guaranteed to result in less money being paid into the current pension system because new hires won't be a part of it. As a result, we'll be right back here in a few years after the next economic downturn with Republicans arguing that we have to cut benefits for everyone because we don't have the money to pay them. All this while the Governor continues to fight against the disclosure of how current pension funds are invested, who receives commissions for handling those accounts, etc.

The solution to this problem has been and will continue to be broadening the revenue base by legalizing and taxing expanded gaming and cannabis, not increasing current income, corporate, or property taxes. But the Republicans headed by our carpetbagging Governor have repeatedly refused to consider these options.

Every legislator who supported fundamentally changing the pension system in this state without actually reviewing the bill, requiring an actuarial analysis to understand its impact, or allowing the voters to see what they're doing before the vote should be gone.

It's a travesty, and I'm embarrassed to have been involved in Kentucky Republican politics for so many years.
Kentucky’s version of Obamacare. Republican Legislators should be aware of the similar political fallout.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
If they are as qualified, I don't see the problem.

Ya because they have an insane amount of time not working otherwise. Can you imagine having a job with great benefits and good wage that also gives you do much time off you can work a second career?

Per day worked, teachers are well paid.

I still remember the march on Frankfort when they had to start paying anything towards an exorbitant health insurance plan.
What is this time that you talk about? Do you think teachers only work the time your kids are in school?

Kentucky’s version of Obamacare. Republican Legislators should be aware of the similar political fallout.

I agree with that

What is this time that you talk about? Do you think teachers only work the time your kids are in school?

No but that's also a major part of it. Far too much administration and nonsense in the way of actual education. 75% of administration bloat could be cut easily. They need to let teachers teach.

But they are not qualified to teach that area. That’s the problem.

If they're not then keep them. Keep only what's necessary and fire the rest. Continually missing school or causing it to be cancelled for protests is an absolute joke

Without a doubt there is significant administrative bloat. And there are a certain number of poor ineffective teachers.
But if you want to change how teachers are compensated going forward, at least look at whether it actually saves any money, if so how long does it takes to save money, and examine what impact it will have on the quality on teachers you can attract.
If you change how any existing employe is compensated and it involves a loss of benefits they were promised when they were hired, you have to expect them to be unhappy and react accordingly.

You guys clearly have no clue how the teaching profession works. It is a shit job with pretty shit benefits. I tried to convince my wife not to do it but her mom was a teacher so it was her dream to do the same. KY requires a master's degree and starts at 40k. You forfeit 100% of your social security even if you had a career before teaching. You also cannot claim your spouses SS if they die. You pay 14% into the pension. The healthcare sucks and is expensive, luckily I have amazing healthcare that covers the whole family for pennies so she gets a small HSA stipend instead. My wife spends at least $200 a month buying supplies & food for her kids. She goes to work at 7 am and gets home usually at 6pm. That "works 3/4th" of the year line is also bullshit. Most of the time your kids aren't in school teachers are doing inservice or grading. This week she had a kid bring a knife to school and he was cutting himself. So now she is counseling a kid that is being committed to a mental hospital in the freaking 5th grade. It is a shit job that is only for people that love to teach. If I didn't have a great job that could support her crappy job she wouldn't be teaching. She's all upset about the pension crap but i told her it doesn't matter for us.

The KY pension fund is ****ed because they invested most of it in bad hedge funds right before the stock market collapsed. The fund was also siphoning off insane amounts of fees and admin costs. And Bevin is still letting them invest in that same fund. The legislature also keeps taking from the pensions to cover general fund shortfalls. If they would legalise weed & gambling this would all go away.

I've got multiple family members in education. I know factory bumblef@&$s who get more time off than teachers do. The middle and high school teachers I know put in ridiculous hours.

If you want to see waste, look at the salaries of the central office personnel. What used to be a secretarial position now has a vague title, a $100k + salary, and somebody's nearly retarded family member in the position.

There's no way to polish this turd of legislation.

At least we know that isn’t the case with you, phatty, Cosby, and warrior. You’re all too stupid to work multiple accounts.
Man enough not to hide what I post. You pansies need more alias's because you are too afraid and generally get caught lying or getting your butts kicked because the left really gives you guys nothing of substance to defend.

Last edited:
"There's a reason they rushed to get the bill passed.
There's a reason they gave no time for the the bill to be read/debated
Changes needed to be made but not at the expense at which it happened
Disgusting move by the governor."

Been the norm for years now at almost all levels of government. Yet, we sit on our hands year after year and let it happen. Liberals accept this way of governing more than conservatives but, it is becoming more accepted with conservatives now as well and that is going to doom us as a country in the long run unless we wake up collectively.

Last edited:

Give in to merit based raises and put in more days teaching throughout the year (summer time helping students who struggle in the regular school days) and we could see their point. Teachers get almost as much time off as politicians.

They can have their pay adjusted to being paid throughout the year.

If you think it's bad now just wait...

the future for teachers are at stake... you dont years of doing something and just sit back and watch everything you've worked for go away without trying to do something.

Rule 1A. Don't be dependent on the government for your livelihood.

Bevin doesn’t have a good bedside manner with teachers, but as Billy Joel stated “we didn’t start the fire”. The can has been kicked down the road for far too long and now the chickens have come home to roost. There is no money, it’s not Bevin’s fault. I myself was a teacher for two years, I get it.

No changes now equal complete collapse in the future. Bevin is a wealthy man, he didn’t need this headache. He is trying to fix the problem. He does need work in his PR department though.

NASA is racist!

t3_884z9n

3/4 of the year? Technically they work 1/2 the year (185 days). Compared to a typical private worker they work ~45 days less (185 to 231). That's a month and a half less than your average 9-5er with more pay and better benefits than them.

I got in an argument with a teacher on a financial independence Facebook group who tried to tell me she worked twice as hard as me and and worked between 3200-3600 hours a year. Mind you 3600 hours is 10 hours a day every calendar day. Calendar day. Lo and behold a teacher's rep (union) from Massachusetts (imagine how liberal THAT lady is) came along and told her that if she was doing any work outside of school hours other than cursory grading a few hours twice a week that she was being terribly inefficient. She also offered to help with her efficiency.

If any teacher tells you they are working as hard as the average 9-5er, they are either twice as inefficient as they should be (i.e. terrible at their job) or lying.

You guys clearly have no clue how the teaching profession works. It is a shit job with pretty shit benefits. I tried to convince my wife not to do it but her mom was a teacher so it was her dream to do the same. KY requires a master's degree and starts at 40k. You forfeit 100% of your social security even if you had a career before teaching. You also cannot claim your spouses SS if they die. You pay 14% into the pension. The healthcare sucks and is expensive, luckily I have amazing healthcare that covers the whole family for pennies so she gets a small HSA stipend instead. My wife spends at least $200 a month buying supplies & food for her kids. She goes to work at 7 am and gets home usually at 6pm. That "works 3/4th" of the year line is also bullshit. Most of the time your kids aren't in school teachers are doing inservice or grading. This week she had a kid bring a knife to school and he was cutting himself. So now she is counseling a kid that is being committed to a mental hospital in the freaking 5th grade. It is a shit job that is only for people that love to teach. If I didn't have a great job that could support her crappy job she wouldn't be teaching. She's all upset about the pension crap but i told her it doesn't matter for us.
This most accurate part of this post was the part where you talked about a kid bringing a knife to your wife's school and I have absolutely no knowledge or evidence to substantiate that it even happened.

Reactions: Willy4UK
Jcps is probably going to close schools along with the 7 districts that already have. Sitting at 900 subs short atm.
Yup. Making actual working people (that can't just up and decide they aren't going to work because their wittle feewings are huht) find childcare in the middle of the night sure is going to garner a lot of sympathy for the teacher gravy train cause...

I'm on my 62nd hour working since Monday and will likely hit 100 this week, haven't worked less than 12 hours in a day since January, dealing with demanding clients and bosses, paying 100% of my own retirement (other than profit sharing), paying $170 a month for parking, etc. and get to read about how rough teachers have it because someone is trying to fix their pension before it collapses.

I choose to do what I'm doing. Teachers choose to do what they do. That sentence above is not me complaining. I sacrifice a lot at certain times for the freedom and flexibility it affords me. At any point in time, I could go do something else.

If teaching math to an 8 year old and having the summer off is too difficult, I'd be happy to give some of those teachers a shot at becoming an actual professional and teaching an adult who thinks they know everything and who isn't forced to come to your building and listen to you every day the intricacies of the tax code and why it isn't your fault they owe money to the government. On the other hand, I sure as shit wouldn't want to spend my day teaching kids.

In other words, you all would be best served to stop whining. I think the way the bill was passed was total bullshit, but the way you've handle the situation (and "debate" over the last few months) is total horseshit and makes me understand why they had to slide something through this way, because you all are completely unreasonable. Maybe it's unfair, but with this bullshit "sick day" stunt, and all the recent school walkout bullshit, I'm starting to lump you all together as paid activists and not people who are educating our youth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT