POLITICAL THREAD

How will they rule ??!

• YES - Qualified

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • NO - Disqualified

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Did Obama really come out 3 months before he's out of office with a mandate to go to Mars?
Talk about trying to take credit for someone in the futures work. Hell, didn't Bush make the same statement 10 years ago?
Or it could be to try and steal headlines away from the Wikileaks.

Reactions: Mashburned
Here, have a participation trophy, qwesley. You didn't lose. You just didn't win. Again.
Tell me, what do the Dems actually stand for these days? In my opinion, all false promises of a utopia that does not exist. Open borders, lies to the minorities, failing schools, lost jobs... Shall we continue?

Could be trouble brewing for the little orange man.

Speak Truth to Trump

Evangelicals, of all people, should not be silent about Donald Trump's blatant immorality.

"This past week, the latest (though surely not last) revelations from Trump’s past have caused many evangelical leaders to reconsider. This is heartening, but it comes awfully late."

"And therefore it is completely consistent that Trump is an idolater in many other ways. He has given no evidence of humility or dependence on others, let alone on God his Maker and Judge. He wantonly celebrates strongmen and takes every opportunity to humiliate and demean the vulnerable. He shows no curiosity or capacity to learn. He is, in short, the very embodiment of what the Bible calls a fool."

"We do not serve idols."

Reactions: jameslee32
Bubba's behavior pushing an employee to the brink of suicide. There's a reason these people are one of the most powerful families on the planet, & it's not b/c of their good deeds.

Everything about them, every single part of their life is mired in corruption, scandal & destruction of anyone who stands in the way.

eek.gif

Wow. just wow. Another potential Clinton casualty narrowly averted.

Did Obama really come out 3 months before he's out of office with a mandate to go to Mars?
Talk about trying to take credit for someone in the futures work. Hell, didn't Bush make the same statement 10 years ago?
Or it could be to try and steal headlines away from the Wikileaks.

Actually a buddy of mine was talking about going to Mars a couple of weeks ago, so . . .

We can't cover possible federal crimes by leaders or a blatant rigged system because Trump made a crude remark 11 years ago. We have no choice.

That is the argument.
Since we're really going down the "body bag counts" rabbit hole, here ya go:

I count 22 headlines on their "Politics" page and precisely 2 are about the audio tape (one of which is actually about Billy Bush's ouster, but I'll give you that one); there's a smaller side bar with 30+ smaller stories but I didn't go to the trouble of actually logging those (feel free to do so if you think it'll change the ratio). I think your brain is conflating sensationalist cable news (which, I wholeheartedly agree, is more tabloidesque than it is actual journalism) and the manner with which their incessant talking head merrigoround is dealing with the audio tapes versus how the print media is dealing with it. Not entirely surprising even when you control for cable news' obvious slant towards sensationalism since the audio tapes are, you know, audio.

Here are the 22 headlines currently on the NYT Politics page:
4 on intraparty drama for the GOP
3 on voter turn out
2 on current polling numbers
2 on "locker room talk" (1 on Billy Bush's ouster)
1 on the Clinton/Wikileaks story
3 on platform positions (1 Syria, 2 tax policy)
3 on the debate & advertisements
3 on SCOTUS cases
1 on Mars

You'll get no argument from me that the majority of printed media and a very big swath of broadcast media is left-leaning. Whining about how much they're covering a particular story versus another particular story is a bit reminiscent of paranoid Kentucky fans complaining about how many PTI segments are about Kentucky vs Duke. Crying wolf, etc. etc.

Reactions: Atrain7732
Also, I strongly agree that the manner in which people are getting news from Facebook, Twitter, etc. feeds is highly highly flawed and is only getting worse.

(1) They're sometimes a matter of blind luck and other times outright manipulated (thoroughly discussed ITT in the past)
(2) They tend to positively reinforce the news you've already read and drift away from the news you haven't read
(3) They're based on total clicks across the country (which is probably the only reason I see the words "Bieber" or "Kardashian" 98% of the time)
(4) They're based on what your friends/family are reading

Editorial boards are certainly biased, but I'd rather have that than whatever Auntie Carol clicked/reblogged or what the US Weekly audience is skimming.

So you cite the NYT's twitter feed earlier but not Politico's? Why's that? I've seen probably more angles on the Wikileaks emails via the Politico feed than have even been posted here. Off the top of my head: The Warren pressure, the Bernie flips, strategies against Bernie/guns, multiple about Chelsea (one of which involved CGI), the CNN town hall, Reid vs Bernie, and off-record Clinton interviews

Reactions: catfaninsc
So you cite the NYT's twitter feed earlier but not Politico's? Why's that? I've seen probably more angles on the Wikileaks emails via the Politico feed than have even been posted here. Off the top of my head: The Warren pressure, the Bernie flips, strategies against Bernie/guns, multiple about Chelsea (one of which involved CGI), the CNN town hall, Reid vs Bernie, and off-record Clinton interviews
I ran out of time....what are you arguing? I read Politico every single day and it is grossly biased.

https://twitter.com/politico

Last edited:
It'd similarly be at an end if "journalism" involved simply regurgitating screencaps without access to the primary sources.

The people posting all of these screencaps wouldn't trust them if they were from MoveOn.org and pertained to conservative figures.
I support all corruption being exposed, even if conservatives or republicans were involved. All of it should come to light.

If Trump goes full on onslaught like has been today where he and his people are everywhere then this could tighten up.

I think if he could relate a message to blacks now that the shackles are off it would go along way! He is anti establishment now so it comes across different as republicans are the "old white successful male" party.

So a one time reach out that says "hey no more blanket what do you have to lose message. Now I'll tell you what you have lost.....we as America do owe you! But what the democrats want you to accept is handouts so it's easy! Success isn't easy and we owe you good jobs for your ancestors free labor, we owe you fair treatment as human beings, and most of all we owe you respect!"

Then explain why they have such high unemployment rates is because minimum wage jobs are crap but barely pay more than welfare and unemployment so why not sit back and collect! But that will not lead to successful lifestyles, instead it's a strategic plot to trap your youth to take up all the bad choices within those challenged communities.

Be their candidate and watch them flip on her overnight!

The Russians did it. End of story

So what? What does that even matter?

If history has told me anything the last time we had a red scare we survived! We can not act as if Russia is damn near insignificant but be afraid of them in the same breathe can we?

Are we supposed to be afraid of Russia?

I've talked to a lot of women here and they are voting Trump because Hillary is criminal. They were gonna vote Hillary, but after seeing how much crime she has done to American tax payers, they all want Trump now.
Yup, it's true. All of them. Hildagarde has a woman problem.

I support all corruption being exposed, even if conservatives or republicans were involved. All of it should come to light.

As do I, but you'd agree with my MoveOn.org hypothetical, no?

Taking down mammoths and uprooting major scandals takes serious legwork. It's not a matter of seeing some screen caps on Assange's site and saying "Well, there's the proof!" The dude is an attention-grabbing clown, as you found out last week.

Trump has nearly 30,000 (his biggest yet I do believe) people at his rally tonight.

Not sure Hillary gets that many in a month or 2 total at her rallies.

Honestly, y'all, I think we can stick a fork in The Donald. He looks done.
I do kinda wonder if today was his version of a concession speech. The polling is only getting worse and we all know there are plenty of salvos queued up.

Destroying the GOP in the process. Pelosi is licking her chops.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/3599

To: john.podesta@gmail.com
Date: 2016-03-13 17:06
Subject: From Bill Ivey

Dear John:

Well, we all thought the big problem for our US democracy was Citizens United/Koch Brothers big money in politics. Silly us; turns out that money isn't all that important if you can conflate entertainment with the electoral process.

Trump masters TV, TV so-called news picks up and repeats and repeats to death this opinionated blowhard and his hairbrained ideas, free-floating discontent attaches to a seeming strongman and we're off and running.

JFK, Jr would be delighted by all this as his "George" magazine saw celebrity politics coming. The magazine struggled as it was ahead of its time but now looks prescient.

George, of course, played the development pretty lightly, basically for charm and gossip, like People, but what we are dealing with now is dead serious. How does this get handled in the general?

Secretary Clinton is not an entertainer, and not a celebrity in the Trump, Kardashian mold; what can she do to offset this? I'm certain the poll-directed insiders are sure things will default to policy as soon as the conventions are over, but I think not.

And as I've mentioned, we've all been quite content to demean government, drop civics and in general conspire to produce an unaware and compliant citizenry. The unawareness remains strong but compliance is obviously fading rapidly.

This problem demands some serious, serious thinking - and not just poll driven, demographically-inspired messaging. Rubio's press conference yesterday AM was good and should be repeated in its entirety, not just in nibbles.

I will attend the Clinton fundraiser here next week but as I can only afford the low level of participation may just get to wave without a "hello."

I fear we are all now trying to navigate a set of forces that cannot be simply explained or fully understood, so it is and will reamin interesting!

Sent with a handshake,

Bill

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
I do kinda wonder if today was his version of a concession speech. The polling is only getting worse and we all know there are plenty of salvos queued up.

Jamo equals favorites for me. But Trump is way better than Hillary Clinton. Get me a better Libertarian candidate and we'll have a different conversation.

My only thought as to why you would vote Hillary is that you'll benefit financially from her in your profession. I think your're a medical guy. Thanks for what you do for us plebs. Hillary is Mittt Romney. She is Big Pharma, She is big Banks. She is every thing that a Status Quo Republican would dream about. You complain about Trump, yet Clinton an her crimes are far more scarier.

Are you scared? Are you scared to move away from the RNC and the DNC? Because it appears to me that you're all for the Status Quo and it's effect on the medical industry

Reactions: screwduke1
HRC loves Christians until after the election, then she hopes you go hang youself on some kind of wooden cross.

Could be trouble brewing for the little orange man.

Speak Truth to Trump

Evangelicals, of all people, should not be silent about Donald Trump's blatant immorality.

"This past week, the latest (though surely not last) revelations from Trump’s past have caused many evangelical leaders to reconsider. This is heartening, but it comes awfully late."

"And therefore it is completely consistent that Trump is an idolater in many other ways. He has given no evidence of humility or dependence on others, let alone on God his Maker and Judge. He wantonly celebrates strongmen and takes every opportunity to humiliate and demean the vulnerable. He shows no curiosity or capacity to learn. He is, in short, the very embodiment of what the Bible calls a fool."

"We do not serve idols."
Eureka! The crude awakening post endorsement memo huh? lmao

It just doesn't get much better than that! The Donald vs. Ryan and the Clinton demon insects are second rate sideshows.

If you all though Harry Reid was terrible, wait until you see the liberal, NY Jew-ry that Schumer is going to unleash on the Senate.

Jamo equals favorites for me. But Trump is way better than Hillary Clinton. Get me a better Libertarian candidate and we'll have a different conversation.

My only thought as to why you would vote Hillary is that you'll benefit financially from her in your profession. I think your're a medical guy. Thanks for what you do for us plebs. Hillary is Mittt Romney. She is Big Pharma, She is big Banks. She is every thing that a Status Quo Republican would dream about. You complain about Trump, yet Clinton an her crimes are far more scarier.

Are you scared? Are you scared to move away from the RNC and the DNC? Because it appears to me that you're all for the Status Quo and it's effect on the medical industry
Yes, medical. I don't know how Trump's tax plan would affect us, but I'd be SHOCKED if our taxes don't go up under HRC.

And I'm not going to relitigate why I hope Trump isn't POTUS. I've discussed it ad nauseum over the past 18 months. That doesn't mean I'm excited for HRC at all, though...quite the opposite, actually. The main reason this cycle has given me stomach ulcers is that unlike every POTUS election of my lifetime (possible exception: 2008) I know that I'll wake up sad the day after. As much as I disagreed with previous candidates, I never felt like we were heading over the cliff. I honestly fear that with Trump. He's that rare blend of crazy ideas + total naïveté + bully personality that will brawl thru any feeble opposition put up by the legislative branch or his cabinet/advisors (assuming they're not just as naive/hairbrained as he is).

https://wikileaks.org/podesta-emails/emailid/3599

To: john.podesta@gmail.com
Date: 2016-03-13 17:06
Subject: From Bill Ivey

Dear John:

Well, we all thought the big problem for our US democracy was Citizens United/Koch Brothers big money in politics. Silly us; turns out that money isn't all that important if you can conflate entertainment with the electoral process.

Trump masters TV, TV so-called news picks up and repeats and repeats to death this opinionated blowhard and his hairbrained ideas, free-floating discontent attaches to a seeming strongman and we're off and running.

JFK, Jr would be delighted by all this as his "George" magazine saw celebrity politics coming. The magazine struggled as it was ahead of its time but now looks prescient.

George, of course, played the development pretty lightly, basically for charm and gossip, like People, but what we are dealing with now is dead serious. How does this get handled in the general?

Secretary Clinton is not an entertainer, and not a celebrity in the Trump, Kardashian mold; what can she do to offset this? I'm certain the poll-directed insiders are sure things will default to policy as soon as the conventions are over, but I think not.

And as I've mentioned, we've all been quite content to demean government, drop civics and in general conspire to produce an unaware and compliant citizenry. The unawareness remains strong but compliance is obviously fading rapidly.

This problem demands some serious, serious thinking - and not just poll driven, demographically-inspired messaging. Rubio's press conference yesterday AM was good and should be repeated in its entirety, not just in nibbles.

I will attend the Clinton fundraiser here next week but as I can only afford the low level of participation may just get to wave without a "hello."

I fear we are all now trying to navigate a set of forces that cannot be simply explained or fully understood, so it is and will reamin interesting!

Sent with a handshake,

Bill

"conspire to produce an unaware and compliant citizenry" - and Z preaches to the right wingers about ability to reason on one's own. what a slimeball (not you Z, this Bill Ivey guy). Here's his bio (not yours Z - lol)
http://globalculturalstrategies.com/bio/

Reactions: qwesley
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT