ADVERTISEMENT

Player decisions update from Pilgrim

It also said Thiero is leaving the option open of coming back so,,, A guy last year did the same thing and came back. Hint: He was our leading scorer. Other than Rob, nobody is 100% gone,, yet. (other than Reeves and Mitchell.) We may very lose them all, but to say it definitely, it is just not the case. I STILL expect two or 3 guys back, not counting Burks and Hart.
DJ
Sheppard
Z

You have to ask yourself, why would a kid want to return to a program that can't get past the first game in the SEC or NCAA tournament? Good luck to all, I won't remember your name next year. Don't watch the NBA so have a good life.

As sad as it is to say, and I’ve always been so die hard for UK it’s hard for some to take at times, I wouldn’t want my son playing for Kentucky right now and I wouldn’t have said that even under 2007 Tubby or 2008 Gillispie. I absolutely 100% would have preferred him at UK then.

Calipari is not going to get kids that care about winning to an elite level. Their parents aren’t gonna do it and if they’re competitive they aren’t going to want to do it. Duke, UNC, and Kansas as of right now are the blue bloods that you go to if you want to have the best chance at winning rings, and regardless of the image we’ve tried to project for the past decade +, kids and their parents DO WANT TO WIN. That’s the entire point of why they play, money although the biggest aspect is still a by product it’s not the other way around. Calipari can say whatever he wants, it doesn’t make it true.

Zion Williamson went to Duke because he was going to get paid anyway and it was better for his brand. Why is that? Because he wanted to be connected to a winning culture. That’s why NBA guys largely want out of bad franchises even though they’re getting paid. Why the hell would anyone who really cares about winning play here? We not only don’t win but our administration has openly said winning is not the priority.

All I know and what I believe is there’s going to be a lot of guys fired after next season, and the money will probably make sure the next coach and AD aren’t allowed to pull this sht.

It also said Thiero is leaving the option open of coming back so,,, A guy last year did the same thing and came back. Hint: He was our leading scorer. Other than Rob, nobody is 100% gone,, yet. (other than Reeves and Mitchell.) We may very lose them all, but to say it definitely, it is just not the case. I STILL expect two or 3 guys back, not counting Burks and Hart.
DJ
Sheppard
Z
You expect those three back???

Reactions: FrankUnderwood2.0
DJ
Sheppard
Z
Reeves never entered the portal last year.

So basically lose everyone on a team that lost in the first round and expect better results next year depending heavily on mostly freshmen that weren't as talented as this years group...got it.

I'm not a 100% Cal sucks guy, but this is the biggest issue that I have had with Cal over the past 5 years. Why in the blue Hades can we not keep players here that should be staying in college? They either enter the draft anyways and fall into oblivion after a year or two (Washington, Livingston and about to be Wagner, Edwards and Z) or they transfer out when they could be a major piece the following year (Juzang, Brooks and WIltjer). If we lose everyone AND have a similar season next year like we had this one then I will be on every media saying FIRE CAL at all costs like many were this year.
I hear you and agree. Evidently Cal's bond with the players and their families are NOT as strong as he makes it appear. They can't wait to get away from him apparently. Who knows?

Reactions: delk4three
Oh… my friend, WAY worse. NIT next year if that is the case.
Last 4 years ranged from missing the NIT to having a good regular season and crapping out in the first round. Just expecting no accomplishments (no SEC championship, no SEC tournament championship, no NCAA tournament success). We could range from terrible and maybe make NIT to top 25 but with major weaknesses and another early exit.

Reeves never entered the portal last year.
Everyone with a brain knew he was looking around / close to leaving, do not play dumb. Most of the off season it looked more like he was leaving than coming back. No he did not officially put his name in the portal, but he did not make it a secret he was looking at other schools. Quit trying to split hairs.

• Haha
Reactions: UKortho
This simply isn’t true. Go look how many KU, Duke and UNC guys have left the last few years.

Doesn’t make it any better for UK but this is not a UK only issue
Sorry no blue blood is losing their entire roster on an annual basis. KU had 3 returning starters from last year to come back this year. Duke had 5 major contributors from last year to come back this year. We had one major contributor come back in reeves as Theiro was utilized very Little and Ugo not used at all after January. Both ugo and reeves came close to leaving. This is a much bigger issue at UK than it is at other blue blood programs.

I signed out of RR with no intention of participating again until the 2 sleaze balls were gone, but I couldn’t resist! So this will be my last post, until then…

Awesome, awesome news from JP! So none of the current players want/ need to return to play for the Narcissist in Chief, sans Wagner out of sheer lack of professional options? Oh, how sweet it is!

This is turning out exactly the way it should! 6 mid/ upper level freshmen, and a few transfers, none of which can overcome Cal’s coaching ineptitude, equals a perfect recipe for Cal and Mitch to regret EVER thumbing their noses at BBN!

I also want to personally thank the Craft family for doing their part in all of this, by not writing a check(s) to get rid of con artist, and saving Brainfart’s ass! Thank you Craft Family! Take that $30 million and go do something worthwhile with it, while putting Mitch on suicide watch by next February!

Next up, Reed makes it official to leave, then we patiently wait for the Champions Classic, where I’m rooting (along with a large portion of BBN) for Duke to drop a bomb on Cal to the tune of a 25-30 point smack down! That might be the only game I actually watch.

With that said, I feel deeply sorry for the players who didn’t know what they were signing up for at the time, because they do not deserve to be in any shape or form, part of what’s going to occur. Know this fellas, this isn’t about you or anything you will do or won’t do, it’s about making Calipari and Brainfart regret the day they shaked hands after signing that death certificate contract.

I’ve bled Blue since I was a 4 year old in 1976, and I never thought I’d ever see the day where I would openly root against a coach or AD, but here it is! If you have a problem with that, then your heart and soul has not been invested in this the way some of us had, so call me what you want, but I’m going to cherish the sweetness of Cal and Mitch’s tears every single opportunity I get next season!

Good luck, peace, TFCats11 is out👋🏻

Last edited:
Everyone with a brain knew he was looking around / close to leaving, do not play dumb. Most of the off season it looked more like he was leaving than coming back. No he did not officially put his name in the portal, but he did not make it a secret he was looking at other schools. Quit trying to split hairs.
Sure thing, let’s see how that works out with Thiero. He actually put his name in the portal and can be legally contacted by other schools, in fact it’s an invitation. Big difference!

Reactions: RunninRichie
Sure thing, let’s see how that works out with Thiero. He actually put his name in the portal and can be legally contacted by other schools, in fact it’s an invitation. Big difference!
Ugo’s handlers put him in the portal and then found out no one was going give them the $ they wanted, so he came back. But something tells me Theiro isn’t going have an issue with finding schools willing to give him good $ or minutes.

Reactions: Justwantadecentteam
Well, now that Cal has publicly admitted that he didn't start his best lineup(all our best lineups included Reeves, Sheppard, Dillingham on the floor at the same time) because he thought Wagner and Edwards wouldn't react well to not starting, which caused us to have our best lineups on the floor only half the game or less...I don't see how that isn't going to be used against Cal in the portal and future recruiting.

Well, now that Cal has publicly admitted that he didn't start his best lineup(all our best lineups included Reeves, Sheppard, Dillingham on the floor at the same time) because he thought Wagner and Edwards wouldn't react well to not starting, which caused us to have our best lineups on the floor only half the game or less...I don't see how that isn't going to be used against Cal in the portal and future recruiting.
Yeah, I was surprised he said that out loud. Another blunder to add to the list.

I don't know if Reed can hit these numbers again. He might lose millions by coming back. He has historic numbers that will be hard to match.

Reactions: FirewithFire
Losing Thiero is a death knell imo.

Another one who suffered at the hands of Cal and his 5star/NBA routine. Cal gonna Cal and always will.

I still don’t believe Shep will leave, never have. But if he does there won’t be a shooter on the team.

Back to rock fights and struggling to get to 70.

The more things change the more they stay the same

Reactions: bigbluedon
So we might get 1 to 3 guys back and a bunch of freshmen. Next year gonna be a lot like the last 4 years.
IMO Cal has to hit the portal hard for top caliber guys. But he’s going to have to promise starting spots or minutes over his freshmen. Is he willing to do that?

Reactions: bigbluedon
It's probably gonna be mostly Freshman that aren't as good as this years and some transfers. So more of the same and the same old lines...

They're not robots.

We are one of the youngest teams in the country.

I like my team.

Angry Steve Martin GIF

We'll start with the bad news, now public and official: Adou Thiero is going portaling. This is a huge hit to Kentucky and it's my understanding they're going to work to recruit him back, but it wasn't a huge secret down the stretch that Coach Cal and Thiero didn't see eye to eye on a lot of things. He joked at the NCAA Tournament during the locker room interviews that Cal was harder on him than anyone else on the team, and talking to people around the program, they agreed. Several assumed things were trending toward the portal late, looking for a chance to prove he can be the star of his own team (and worried he wouldn't be able to become one here). Considering the money he can (and will) get elsewhere, it all adds up. Just a terrible loss, no other way to put it.

As for other guaranteed depatures, Rob Dillingham's time at Kentucky has come to an end, as expected. He'll be entering the NBA Draft as a likely top-five pick. That one isn't a surprise to anyone.

Elsewhere, Reed Sheppard has the toughest decision on the team, obviously, and I'm told it's weighing on him. His current draft grade is top-10 (coming from NBA scouts) and that guarantee will be really, really tough to pass up. But historic NIL money is waiting for him should he decide to return. He'll test the waters while keeping that door open, but his choice will be calculated down to team fit and culture in his range on both ends. There's no certainty next year's group will connect the way this one did, but the idea of going to a losing franchise in the middle of nowhere isn't appealing to him, either. Financials will be a significant part of it, but not the ultimate deciding factor. Legacy is important for that family and they know what winning means here, so the unfinished business angle is at play here, too. Head says NBA, heart says year two in Lexington. Nothing decided either way yet.

Zvonimir Ivisic's got a tough call to make, too. He's already tested the draft waters twice and is no longer eligible to try again, so it's all or nothing with this process. That complicates his situation a bit because his stock is currently in the second-round flier range with lottery upside should he return. He came to Kentucky on a one-year plan and that remained the case even through the end of the regular season. There was hope a big game on the Cats' run could shoot him back up the draft boards, but that unfortunately never came. That puts him in a tough spot and could make him think a little longer, but he was pretty open privately about going to the NBA this offseason no matter what. That continues to be the expectation.

Then we get to the trio of Kentucky's top-rated recruits out of high school, all deemed one-and-done locks when they signed here. Instead, none of Justin Edwards, DJ Wagner and Aaron Bradshaw are considered first-round locks, Bradshaw no longer on draft boards at all. He will strongly consider the transfer portal in hopes of finding a fresh start elsewhere while Edwards is going to test the draft waters in hopes of securing a late first-round grade. If that's the case, he's expected to leave, as well. If not, he could also hit the transfer portal, but draft is the likely result. As for Wagner, he was seen as a guaranteed departure for much of the season due to connections in the basketball world, likely to sneak in at the end of the first round no matter how far his stock had fallen. There is growing optimism, though, that he'll seriously consider a second season at Kentucky in hopes of getting back to full strength, maturing and working his way back into the lottery of a weaker draft. He'll test and see what his draft outlook is now, but it's no longer the sure thing it was.

As for other portal names to keep an eye on, Ugonna Onyenso is at the top of the list. Like Thiero, there was a growing sense late that he (and his circle) were eyeing potential options elsewhere. I'm not currently expecting him back in Lexington, barring a major change of heart. Jordan Burks will see what his potential suitors are and what role/NIL opportunities would look like, so that's one to keep an eye on, too. Consider him a toss-up.

Joey Hart would like to return, but his situation will be roster-based. He'd like to play and if there is a path to playing time (even limited), he'll be back. That one will be down the road a bit depending on who Kentucky returns/adds.
Of course! Man I didn’t wanna lose Adou but that’s what Cal gets for prioritizing people over him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT