ADVERTISEMENT

Pilgrim update

A kid like Livingston that can't even MAKE a 3 pt'er consistently, thinks he's READY for the NBA????!!!!

What GM would spend a 1st round pick on a kid that can't shoot???!!!!!

Then, WHY is Cal taking a kid with NUMEROUS deficiencies that STRUGGLED to be successful on a MEDIOCRE team???!!!! Livingston is a PRIME example of WHY UK has STRUGGLED the past few seasons!!! If the NBA wants kids on POTENTIAL ONLY, why is Cal STILL taking kids that are NOT ready to perform at a level NEEDED to win at UK???!!!!!!!!

RIDICULOUS!!!!!
Livingston was considered to be a top 10 prospect. Most teams wanted him. You're
talking nonsense.

• Haha
Reactions: catben
While I agree with that, and I'm done with Cal.

To play devil's advocate, some people just hellbent on doing what they want. And are also stupid.
How many of you have tried to talk a young person out of doing something that is stupid........some young men are going to do what they are going to do.......good, bad, wrong or indifferent........they get to make the choices......it is their life........I wish all of them well in their endeavors......not all of them will be a success........

Reactions: bbncal02
I agree, but he has shown us time and time again that he is happiest when kids are getting drafted, that’s his passion and that’s why UK is one-and-done-U. He created a culture to satisfy his passion.

I see no other coach/school that talks about players first and pushing players towards the next level. Duke doesn’t even do that, they at least try to retain non-NBA kids.
Like I said. It’s his biggest failure during his tenure here and it has lead to additional failures. Everyone likes to point to style of play. But if we have the very best players then even that doesn’t matter much. Roster construction tops all.

Honestly it’s not Cals fault, it’s the people around Livingston. Kluth sports has some pull and I’m sure they think he’s a first round pick and do not want him to return.
he won't improve if he returns because he would receive no coaching

A kid like Livingston that can't even MAKE a 3 pt'er consistently, thinks he's READY for the NBA????!!!!

What GM would spend a 1st round pick on a kid that can't shoot???!!!!!

Then, WHY is Cal taking a kid with NUMEROUS deficiencies that STRUGGLED to be successful on a MEDIOCRE team???!!!! Livingston is a PRIME example of WHY UK has STRUGGLED the past few seasons!!! If the NBA wants kids on POTENTIAL ONLY, why is Cal STILL taking kids that are NOT ready to perform at a level NEEDED to win at UK???!!!!!!!!

RIDICULOUS!!!!!
because he can't judge talent..........all he can see is the # of stars by each kids name, not their ability, especially
those that can't shoot

It’s like his handlers don’t pay attention to mock drafts and scouting reports. They think he’s actually going to do something at combines and individual workouts to earn a late first round flyer?

I think the reality is that they don’t want him at the 4 and know he cannot start over Edwards. They have no choice but to test the waters or to find a new team.

I’ve never been a fan of this guy. I thought the Thiero outplayed him in the preseason and that the only thing he’s brought to the table all year was driving the ball for a couple layups each game, and occasionally having good rebounding games.

Dude can’t play defense and cannot dribble and cannot shoot. He is not an NBA player now, and I don’t think he ever will be.
We nicknamed him crash bc it seemed like ever drive to the basket ended up with him on the floor.
CL's ball handling and hand placement on his shot are real liabilities for being selected in the 1st round. Clutch will need to be just that for him to get drafted. He's in Bron's circle so it could happen.

Reactions: qwesley
He’s on the 76ers roster, I don't know what else to tell you.
They signed him to a two way deal to skirt union issues with the dunk contest. You may be technically correct, but Mac is a g-league player for all intents and purposes.

Last edited:
Nope. Not buying it anymore.

It's Cal's job to better identify those players who don't have the delusional circles of influence.
Ideally yes.

The Calipari conundrum is that these are the kids that are drawn to him.

Like I said. It’s his biggest failure during his tenure here and it has lead to additional failures. Everyone likes to point to style of play. But if we have the very best players then even that doesn’t matter much. Roster construction tops all.
I agree with all of that, but Cal is the best recruiter (now that K is gone), but how many times did Cal amass enough talent to overcome his lack of coaching, style of play, yelling and game management?

Even the 2010 and 2015 teams, as stacked as they were, couldn't overcome Cal, it took an NBA lockout + a generational talent + 2 transcent players to do it.

They signed him to a two day deal to skirt union issues with the dunk contest. You may be technically correct, but Mac is a g-league player for all intents and purposes.
He’s on their roster

This is my favorite part of the Calipari cycle of hell.

After we lose, I look at the roster and decide "surely these guys are coming back." And every year (except this past year), everyone leaves.

It doesn't really matter, of course. Cal got Wheeler, Toppin, Oscar, Collins, Frederick all back. He brought in a senior in Reeves. We STILL had a disappointing season and flamed out early.

Up next is coach cal's favorite part of the cycle: the draft.

Duke just got their player back who is in a similar situation to Livingston. Procter for them is coming back which is big for them, meanwhile our guy is probably leaving like they 98 percent of the time
Kansas, UNC, Duke always get guys to return .... unlike UK, they actually have a program culture that isn't "get out of here as fast as possible because I have other guys coming in that get your spot."

Duke just got their player back who is in a similar situation to Livingston. Procter for them is coming back which is big for them, meanwhile our guy is probably leaving like they 98 percent of the time
Could also add RJ Davis from UNC. He's a 2nd round prospect, announced his return to UNC

Kansas, UNC, Duke always get guys to return .... unlike UK, they actually have a program culture that isn't "get out of here as fast as possible because I have other guys coming in that get your spot."
Sucks but the truth is the truth, bacot would have been told to leave a while ago if he were at Kentucky. It’s sad that John doesn’t realize that guys liek Livingston mixed with his star freshman are when he has his best teams

It’s like his handlers don’t pay attention to mock drafts and scouting reports. They think he’s actually going to do something at combines and individual workouts to earn a late first round flyer?

I think the reality is that they don’t want him at the 4 and know he cannot start over Edwards. They have no choice but to test the waters or to find a new team.

I’ve never been a fan of this guy. I thought the Thiero outplayed him in the preseason and that the only thing he’s brought to the table all year was driving the ball for a couple layups each game, and occasionally having good rebounding games.

Dude can’t play defense and cannot dribble and cannot shoot. He is not an NBA player now, and I don’t think he ever will be.
Thierro out played Livingston? No way. Livingston slumped when Cal destroyed his confidence by telling him to basically be a garbage man. He was shooting 35% from 3 most of the year. 72% from the line. He was one of our better defensive players in terms of staying in front of his man. But, I agree he's unlikely to get drafted in the first round...maybe late second. He needs new handlers LOL.

As far as Edwards...a 6-7, 180 lb frosh wouldn't beat out Chris.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
It's actually a BIGGER problem with Cal!!!

WHY is he taking a kid that is HE_L BENT on getting to the NBA as fast as possible, that will NOT help UK win at a level needed to reach the TOP??!!!!!!

Cal bent over backwards for this kid and his ENTOURAGE by playing him MORE than others and it GAINED UK very LITTLE. I am SSOOOOOOOO sick of Cal taking these kids that have very little UPSIDE for UK!!!!
Because Cal won’t adapt from one and done.

Reactions: catben
Not the ones that counted.
I think the point is that his shooting wasn't the issue. He shot 40% from 3 on the season. Yes he shot poorly in the worst time. But guys have off shooting nights. He's still a 40% shooter. You want those.

The problem was he's the only guy on the team that could shoot. Other teams have additional good shooters. One guy can go cold because the rest of the team can make shots. We didn't have anyone else.

• Love
Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
Because Cal won’t adapt from one and done.
He has adapted from the 1 and done.

He's a bad in game coach. He doesn't coach modern offense. He doesn't use timeouts. He doesn't draw up plays. He doesn't run out of bounds plays.

But he absolutely has adapted from the 1 and done.

We had a team FULL of upperclassmen. Oscar, Toppin, Wheeler, Reeves, Frederick were all transfers.
I think Cal has made a tremendous effort to NOT rely on freshman.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
He has adapted from the 1 and done.

He's a bad in game coach. He doesn't coach modern offense. He doesn't use timeouts. He doesn't draw up plays. He doesn't run out of bounds plays.

But he absolutely has adapted from the 1 and done.

We had a team FULL of upperclassmen. Oscar, Toppin, Wheeler, Reeves, Frederick were all transfers.
I think Cal has made a tremendous effort to NOT rely on freshman.
Agree with everything you said. Except we had 2 starters that were one and done. Next year we have a boatload of freshman coming in. I realize we are using the transfer portal but relatively speaking, we depend on freshman a lot more than other teams.

Agree with everything you said. Except we had 2 starters that were one and done. Next year we have a boatload of freshman coming in. I realize we are using the transfer portal but relatively speaking, we depend on freshman a lot more than other teams.
But relatively speaking, we relied a lot less on freshman than we ever have before.

It’s appropriate to bring in a few McDonald’s All-American level guys and have them start alongside veterans.

Other good teams do this. 1 or 2 guys isn’t a problem. Trying to start 5 freshman is.

I agree with all of that, but Cal is the best recruiter (now that K is gone), but how many times did Cal amass enough talent to overcome his lack of coaching, style of play, yelling and game management?

Even the 2010 and 2015 teams, as stacked as they were, couldn't overcome Cal, it took an NBA lockout + a generational talent + 2 transcent players to do it.
The best recruiter puts together a roster of individual players that fit together and complement each other on the court. CCC tries to grab the most 5 stars. He does not recruit for fit or chemistry.l

If a great recruiter is defined as accumulating 5 stars, he is the best! But it is not, so he is not a great recruiter.

Reactions: bigbluedon
Until Cal leaves we will be no better than this year. Coaches have figured out easy ways to play us. They have even figured out that do not have to be elite to do so. We will have more talent next year but not enough to mean anything. We will be a 8 to 12 loss team again. Unless Cal strikes gold with euro player or portal and we get all 5 guys we signed (doubtful). I will cheer them on just the same and lose my mind when we play horrible (which we will). Get ready to hear the "We are young, it is a process, we are player led, I am tired and will go play with the dogs excuses". GO BIG BLUE!!!

The best recruiter puts together a roster of individual players that fit together and complement each other on the court. CCC tries to grab the most 5 stars. He does not recruit for fit or chemistry.l

If a great recruiter is defined as accumulating 5 stars, he is the best! But it is not, so he is not a great recruiter.
Yeah, you can look at it multiple ways, but in reality, Cal is the best at recruiting HS talent (now that K is gone). The problem is, these kids look great against HS talent, but there are too many unknowns with them, in my opinion, to believe that the one-and-done system is the best way to run a program.

Most of these kids aren't polished enough, tough enough or physical enough to compete at this level, even if he had the perfect balance, it's still a disadvantage to put a bunch of HS kids on a court against any team you would see in the sweet 16 and beyond.

Cal is no dummy, he obviously knows this, so my question to him would be, why are you sticking with the one and done method when it clearly isn't working?

He’s not a good enough coach for either method, in order for him to win, a perfect storm of events would need to happen, like what happened in 11/12 with the NBA lockout, a transcendent player and a generational player.

Hopefully the 23/24 season is his last.

His poor shooting was the main reason we lost two of our last five games.
I'm kind of a glass half full guy so I would say it's as much due to him being the only one we could rely on to make a 3 as much as anything else. When all your eggs are in one basket you set yourself up for failure.

Reactions: G-PIP
But relatively speaking, we relied a lot less on freshman than we ever have before.

It’s appropriate to bring in a few McDonald’s All-American level guys and have them start alongside veterans.

Other good teams do this. 1 or 2 guys isn’t a problem. Trying to start 5 freshman is.
Well-said.

Reactions: Cats192
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT