ADVERTISEMENT

Pilgrim update

If Livingston ends up leaving for the draft then that is the big problem with college basketball . Guys like that have their minds set on Declaring no matter what because they have bought into their rankings and hype ballislife and other social media pages have created .
I think we're already there. I'm serious in saying I'd stop recruiting high school kids. They suck for the most part and have these insane posses undermining the coach. I'd hit the portal for kids like Nowell from Kstate. Crawford and those guys from SDSU. But then again I don't trust Cal to properly assemble a team and coach them, these days. I don't think it matters who Cal has on a team.

None of it matters. I don't want any of these kids back except Reeves. They were all soft and got punked at every turn. Start all over with a new roster. And I wish a new coach.

Reactions: bigbluedon
Sure they did, but the guys like Livingston who aren’t getting drafted unless a favorite is being done, are the ones hurting Kentucky. Kentucky gets guys like him back and they can seriously challenge with other pieces around them, guys like toppin and Oscar we’re never going to make it in the league
There are many other pro options than the NBA. My neighbor, Mac McClung has done well in the G league and an occasional short stint in the NBA. He said he has several options overseas but wants to continue trying to make it in the NBA.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Don’t worry, we will build around the stud freshman with players from the SWAC and MAC, so let’s get off Cal’s back!

GREATNESS and VENGEANCE baby!!!

Reactions: kl40504
It's actually a BIGGER problem with Cal!!!

WHY is he taking a kid that is HE_L BENT on getting to the NBA as fast as possible, that will NOT help UK win at a level needed to reach the TOP??!!!!!!

Cal bent over backwards for this kid and his ENTOURAGE by playing him MORE than others and it GAINED UK very LITTLE. I am SSOOOOOOOO sick of Cal taking these kids that have very little UPSIDE for UK!!!!
Cal takes kids that are hell bent on getting to the draft, because that's what Cal is looking for.

It’s never been about building rosters and winning titles at UK, it's always been fulfilling Cal's need to be a part of the NBA draft. He craves draft night and that one night is more important to him than UK basketball.

You would not prioritize the NBA draft if winning games and titles at UK was your goal.

Well, another thread is derailed by posters who are simply miserable in life. Goodnight all. I am closing this down. Will be back tomorrow to find out what the news is. Carry on....
Miserable in life because we don't like seeing our program run like it's a farm system?

We're miserable because we're discussing the FACT that UK pays a guy 9 million a year to keep UK on top, but he chooses to use the stage to prioritize the NBA draft?

I mean, you can leave, or at least not click on this thread. We don't have to share your opinions, this is a message board. Deal with it.

People on this board spend the entire tournament lamenting that the game is now all about scorers —but they act like it’s nothing to get a guy back in Reeves capable of scoring 37 at Arkansas -a team that shut down a #1 seed. Meanwhile losing a tweener like Livingston who struggled to score from more than a foot and really had no position at which he was likely to start over Edwards or Bradshaw is treated like a calamity of the worst kind.

Yeah, Reeves had a terrible game in the tournament and it kept Kentucky from advancing. But he’s proven he is a high volume scorer, and getting him back is more important than getting Livingston back.

But That’s Rupp Rafters, where the glass is always half full —--of poison, and then you can break the glass and use the pieces the slit your wrists because everything is always terrible.
Lol shut up man

The junp he could have made will be hard to replace, if he came back I could easily see him being a 15 & 8 rebounds type of player
I don't think he would be near those numbers because Justin Edwards is going to get the bulk of the minutes at the 3. Livingston would be his back-up.

It’s fine, I'd rather see Adou Thiero get those minutes anyway.

Nowadays, It’s not necessarily the coaches fault that players think ( and mostly their ‘handlers’ ) believe they can get in the pros quick , leave for the draft when they should stay in college theoretically …or transfer somewhere that may use them at a position they’d likely be in the NBA. It’s how we got Oscar ….Huggins didn’t want him as a log jam at the 5 , he wanted him at the 4 , etc . Livingston isn’t a 3 on a good team in college
It's the coaches that build the culture and the atmosphere of the program. Cal created a one-and-done culture and he recruits to it, so the players feed off the culture (if they don't already have that attitude) and fully buy into it. Why wouldn't they, it benefits them and UK gets nothing out of it.

Last edited:
I don't think he would be near those numbers because Justin Edwards is going to get the bulk of the minutes at the 3. Livingston would be his back-up.

It’s fine, I'd rather see Adou Thiero get those minutes anyway.
In my dream works scenario, cal was actually smart and played Livingston at the four and Edwards at the 3 and had shooting but that’s a dream world scenario would probably never happen

No not all kids ranked 20-45 are this delusional

Nolan Hickman with zags, Jon aidoo with Tennessee, hunter sallis with zags, I could go on and one…there are plenty of kids staying years. Cal is a terrible salesman and his hoax is up
All you have to do is look at the teams that get to the FF every year to find those 20-45th ranked players as Juniors and seniors.

People on this board spend the entire tournament lamenting that the game is now all about scorers —but they act like it’s nothing to get a guy back in Reeves capable of scoring 37 at Arkansas -a team that shut down a #1 seed. Meanwhile losing a tweener like Livingston who struggled to score from more than a foot and really had no position at which he was likely to start over Edwards or Bradshaw is treated like a calamity of the worst kind.

Yeah, Reeves had a terrible game in the tournament and it kept Kentucky from advancing. But he’s proven he is a high volume scorer, and getting him back is more important than getting Livingston back.

But That’s Rupp Rafters, where the glass is always half full —--of poison, and then you can break the glass and use the pieces the slit your wrists because everything is always terrible.
my goodness…smh.

There are many other pro options than the NBA. My neighbor, Matt McClung has done well in the G league and an occasional short stint in the NBA. He said he has several options overseas but wants to continue trying to make it in the NBA.
Who is Matt McClung?

I’ve said many times that Cal’s biggest shortcoming has always been his inability or unwillingness to re-recruit the kids who are already on his bench. If Kentucky gets another year with some of these kids who thought they were first rounders who knows what could have happened. I mean, I believe we would have had a title in his first year if he had just attempted to keep Jodie Meeks around.

Absolutely!

Feels like the only thing we have to look forward to any more.
I understand where you are coming from but I look forward to a lot of things beside basketball. Glad when we win but move on quickly when we lose.

While I agree with that, and I'm done with Cal.

To play devil's advocate, some people just hellbent on doing what they want. And are also stupid.
My issue with your last statement is that we get a disproportionate amount of players with that mindset:

Orton
Dodson
Harrow
Teague
Goodwin
Dakari
Matthews
Wynyard
Gabriel
Vanderbilt
Juzang
Whitney
Lamb
Baker
Green
Harrison
Harrison
Lee
Diallo
Humphries
Briscoe
Hagans
Skal
Montgomery
Johnson
Ty Ty
Fletcher
Boston
Brooks
Hopkins
Livingston

"Getting out of there as quickly as possible" is built into the type of player Cal recruits, regardless of whether they're ready to leave or not.

I mean, you mention someone like Juzang, and half our fans lose their minds, ready to defend him with statements like "It just didn't work out" or "they were at their peak point of potential"; as if staying here for three or four years and battling through adversity and improving draft stock is now considered absurd within our basketball culture.

Last edited:
Didn’t know Livingston was with Klutch. Makes sense.

Cal makes tacit promises to recruits like Livingston - we will play you at the 3 - in order to keep Klutch happy and get players in the future. It’s hard to go back on that even when it’s obvious he should not be playing the 3.

Problem is, when they aren’t very good, it makes the entire relationship sour. Why would they keep sending them to us if we aren’t bolstering their status? Cal is too incompetent this point to elevate them, which is why we’re getting the leftovers of the one and done crowd instead of the cream of the crop.

Cal doesn’t ****ing care about draft picks, generational poverty, or the NBA. He cares about the under the table money from Klutch and his relationship with an organization that is going to siphon 15% of most
NBA contacts for the next 20 years.

Reactions: fatguy87
Cal takes kids that are hell bent on getting to the draft, because that's what Cal is looking for.

It’s never been about building rosters and winning titles at UK, it's always been fulfilling Cal's need to be a part of the NBA draft. He craves draft night and that one night is more important to him than UK basketball.

You would not prioritize the NBA draft if winning games and titles at UK was your goal.
Delusion is killing us, both from Cal and the guys he attracts now. Livingston is the poster child of the kind of guys you avoid if you want to build a contender. It was obvious from his tapes showing his shooting/dribbling as weak and his comments of wanting to play the "2 or 3" as well as his Klutch relationship that the upside of taking this guy was extremely limited. Some get upset when people say Cal doesn't care but these egregious things point to incompetence or him caring about things other than building a contender.

Last edited:
Honestly it’s not Cals fault, it’s the people around Livingston. Kluth sports has some pull and I’m sure they think he’s a first round pick and do not want him to return.
It is Cals fault unless he tells him it is not in his best interest to declare as well as bring in other experts to back his conclusion. If he goes after that then it is not Cals fault.

Delusion is killing us, both from Cal and the guys he attracts now. Livingston is the poster child on the kind of guys you avoid if you want to build a contender. It was obvious from his tapes showing his shooting/dribbling as weak and his comments of wanting to play the "2 or 3" as well as his Klutch relationship that the upside of taking this guy was extremely limited. Some get upset when people say Cal doesn't care but these egregious things point to incompetence or him caring about things other than building a contender.
Exactly

Once a decent but not elite player starts wjth I’m going to get to the league as quick as I can…you just move off of him to the next. It isn’t rocket science

I see you changed my post again. I said Mac McClung. You will never change.
Uh, no, you said "Matt". As his neighbor, you should know his name is Mac, but you should also know that he already is playing in the NBA. He plays for the sixers and he won the NBA dunk contest, you don't get to compete in that if you aren't actually playing in the NBA.

Y'all must be really close.

I’ve said many times that Cal’s biggest shortcoming has always been his inability or unwillingness to re-recruit the kids who are already on his bench. If Kentucky gets another year with some of these kids who thought they were first rounders who knows what could have happened. I mean, I believe we would have had a title in his first year if he had just attempted to keep Jodie Meeks around.
I agree, but he has shown us time and time again that he is happiest when kids are getting drafted, that’s his passion and that’s why UK is one-and-done-U. He created a culture to satisfy his passion.

I see no other coach/school that talks about players first and pushing players towards the next level. Duke doesn’t even do that, they at least try to retain non-NBA kids.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
No not all kids ranked 20-45 are this delusional

Nolan Hickman with zags, Jon aidoo with Tennessee, hunter sallis with zags, I could go on and one…there are plenty of kids staying years. Cal is a terrible salesman and his hoax is up
Hickman was committed here then Tyty committed and he bailed to back up nemhard. Made no sense and now he's just finished his second season and is no closer to the NBA. He could have been the starter here. These kids make the dumbest decisions.

Uh, no, you said "Matt". As his neighbor, you should know his name is Mac, but you should also know that he already is playing in the NBA. He plays for the sixers and he won the NBA dunk contest, you don't get to compete in that if you aren't actually playing in the NBA.

Y'all must be really close.
He is not in the NBA. He plays in the G league. Shows how incompetent you are as usual.

Reactions: Jont0805
If Livingston ends up leaving for the draft then that is the big problem with college basketball . Guys like that have their minds set on Declaring no matter what because they have bought into their rankings and hype ballislife and other social media pages have created

I know some of you don’t like pilgrim, but he updates the roster decisions.
If looks like Livingston is gone, so Kentucky is going to have to hit the portal hard again
A traditional like no other- UK fans every year thinking that the NBA only drafts players that are finished products and immediate starters. In reality there are only a few immediate impact guys each draft while 90% of those drafted are developmental or role players.

Hickman was committed here then Tyty committed and he bailed to back up nemhard. Made no sense and now he's just finished his second season and is no closer to the NBA. He could have been the starter here. These kids make the dumbest decisions.
I was a proponent of Hickman. He was shifty, a good passer and decent shooter. And most importantly, I believed he would be a multi-year player and be ok with playing in college until he was at least projected as a draft pick. But there are no guarantees that players will develop into stars. And Hickman has not yet developed into the PG I thought he could be. He seems to lack confidence and is not aggressive enough. I still think he has the physical tools to be a really good college PG, but physical tools alone are not enough.

Honestly it’s not Cals fault, it’s the people around Livingston. Kluth sports has some pull and I’m sure they think he’s a first round pick and do not want him to return.
It's always the people around said player, with Cal. He allows this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT