ADVERTISEMENT

Pg position

Apr 12, 2009
Most people have penciled in Green as the starter. Personally I think Gilgeous-Alexander would be a better option. Similar skillset, but longer, taller, and much stronger. We would have the tallest/longest lineup in the country by a mile with him running point.

Alexander's a stud. Will be hard to keep him off the floor. I think we'll see a lot of three-guard lineups. But we can go medium and large. Lots of talent.

I think Quade Green is going to be important early in the season. The team will need his leadership and I see him as one of the more polished offensive weapons on the team.

To add another opinion/prediction before the season even starts:

Quade's ball handling and passing will make him the starter for most of the season. However, sounds like Shai could steal 15-20 minutes from either the 1 or 2 spot, especially if he shoots well.

"Positionless players"

Like it or not, but Diallo is the leader of this team and he'll run the offense.

I disagree. I think the offense will mostly go through Quade and Knox, with Diallo being the slasher/playmaker. Similar to Briscoe, but replace craftiness with athleticism. We'll see, can't wait.

Reactions: MWes11 and MbergCat
Alexander's a stud. Will be hard to keep him off the floor. I think we'll see a lot of three-guard lineups. But we can go medium and large. Lots of talent.

No chance this team is running a three-guard lineup. We are FAR more likely to run a four-forward lineup.

We are absolutely saturated in skilled, multi-position combo forwards, including a knockdown shooter (Knox) and a "point forward" (Vanderbilt). By my count, we have five truly elite bigs: Gabriel, Vanderbilt, Washington, Knox, and Richards. Any lineup that has three of those guys on the bench is a bad use of resources.

Last edited:
Wrong..gracious.

If you say so... Diallo is an excellent player and since he decided to bypass the NBA, then Calipari has already talked about Diallo being a vocal leader and how Diallo is the first one in the gym and the last one to leave. Many here didn't think Fox would be the PG last season because he couldn't shoot. He seemed to do alright to me. :popcorn:

Reactions: BBUK
a knockdown shooter (Knox)

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kevin-Knox-90053/

"- Doesn't think the game at a high level. Feel is very shaky in terms of shot selection and decision making. 3.8 turnovers per 40 minutes in 39 EYBL games.
- Still trying to prove that he's a wing by hoisting up jumpers early in the clock or trying to create off the dribble. Much more effective if he'll accept the role as an energetic, athlete/defender while the rest of his game develops organically.
- Very loose, inconsistent shooting mechanics. Balance comes and goes. Brings the ball down to his shoulder right before going into his release. Has good wrist action and rotation but is far too loose. Lifetime 25.8 3P% on 89 attempts."

Most people have penciled in Green as the starter. Personally I think Gilgeous-Alexander would be a better option. Similar skillset, but longer, taller, and much stronger. We would have the tallest/longest lineup in the country by a mile with him running point.

As we found out with Ulis, size ain't all that. Plus we need to see players play in a game in a team setting before making real opinions.

Reactions: BBUK
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Kevin-Knox-90053/

"- Doesn't think the game at a high level. Feel is very shaky in terms of shot selection and decision making. 3.8 turnovers per 40 minutes in 39 EYBL games.
- Still trying to prove that he's a wing by hoisting up jumpers early in the clock or trying to create off the dribble. Much more effective if he'll accept the role as an energetic, athlete/defender while the rest of his game develops organically.
- Very loose, inconsistent shooting mechanics. Balance comes and goes. Brings the ball down to his shoulder right before going into his release. Has good wrist action and rotation but is far too loose. Lifetime 25.8 3P% on 89 attempts."

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/ge...126&ssid=5f66328c-ed6b-4899-9d0d-3df9995e1b7b

Shows Knox's senior season average was 35% across more than 200 attempts, which is roughly Derek Willis' 3P% from last year. I expect this number to go up a couple points (as occurs with all of Cal's shooters) as they develop better shot selection.

Reactions: gwilli8714 and BBUK
http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/ge...126&ssid=5f66328c-ed6b-4899-9d0d-3df9995e1b7b

Shows Knox's senior season average was 35% across more than 200 attempts, which is roughly Derek Willis' 3P% from last year. I expect this number to go up a couple points (as occurs with all of Cal's shooters) as they develop better shot selection.

Actually, I think the opposite will happen. Typically great HS shooters (Knox isn't a great shooter) will be a few points lower in shooting percentage during their freshman season. Hard to compare a senior in HS, Knox versus a senior in college playing for a major division 1 school.

Don't see Knox shooting better than 35% from three if he's shooting the three as often as he did in HS.

Actually, I think the opposite will happen. Typically great HS shooters (Knox isn't a great shooter) will be a few points lower in shooting percentage during their freshman season. Hard to compare a senior in HS, Knox versus a senior in college playing for a major division 1 school.

Don't see Knox shooting better than 35% from three if he's shooting the three as often as he did in HS.

I disagree with that mainly because we've had several in the last couple years that shot significantly better in College than they did in Highschool mainly because they learned to be in the flow of the offense and take better shots. Some of our best raised their percentage significantly their freshman college over their Senior in Highscool 3pt percentage. Monk, Lamb, Murray and even Booker all shot quite a bit better their freshman seasons.

If you say so... Diallo is an excellent player and since he decided to bypass the NBA, then Calipari has already talked about Diallo being a vocal leader and how Diallo is the first one in the gym and the last one to leave. Many here didn't think Fox would be the PG last season because he couldn't shoot. He seemed to do alright to me. :popcorn:
Huh.

Diallo never bypassed the draft, he was told he would not be a first rounder.
Anyone who questioned Fox being the pg last year, had no understanding of basketball. Who else was going to be the pg.

Reactions: PPat74 and MWes11
I disagree with that mainly because we've had several in the last couple years that shot significantly better in College than they did in Highschool mainly because they learned to be in the flow of the offense and take better shots. Some of our best raised their percentage significantly their freshman college over their Senior in Highscool 3pt percentage. Monk, Lamb, Murray and even Booker all shot quite a bit better their freshman seasons.
Most of the improvement comes from not being the primary scorer each and every game. When you are the best player in HS, you are allowed to take questionable shots as the team needs you to win. In college, if you shot enough bad shots, you find yourself on the bench.

Reactions: DerekMcPwn

giphy.gif

Reactions: PPat74 and Cindog28

He may not but shot selection and the changes Cal instills over the course of the season will be invaluable. Shot selection do make a difference... I was told once that Cal just doesn't roll the ball out.[winking]

Reactions: Cindog28

Liked your post except for that. Fox was a beast from the get go...and was thought to be...his ankle injury "to me" slowed his consideration going as the top pick in the last draft. (A spot or two but who knows what he may have done without the injury. He was for sure beasting before the injury.)

Last edited:
Liked your post except for that. Fox was a beast from the get go...and was thought to be...
True. True. True. I knew Fox would be a beast, but I also remember seeing things like this on this board (which I doubt anyone [not you] would own up to):
PG- Briscoe/Hawkins/Fox
SG- Briscoe/Hawkins/Mulder
SF- Willis/Monk
PF- Gabriel/Killer(lol)-Jones,
C- Bam Adebayo/Humphries/Wynyard

Fox IS a BEAST and Diallo will be one day too!

Reactions: IrishMike409
Quade reminds me a bit of Teague in terms of stature. Teague had an inch or two on Quade but both guys are hard nosed defenders with good footwork. Teague had the luxury of throwing it anywhere within the same zipcode of AD and he'd dunk it, but along with that Teague showed good court vision during his year with us. Ultimately it's a mentality thing. Quade has assumed a leadership role with this team already. Nothing is 100% but his confidence, demeanor, abilities and vocal leadership makes me think he'll be running this team throughout the season.

Thread is a perfect example how little anyone knows about what to expect from this team or ANY individual player.We are in uncharted territory (even for a Cal team)It may take a while for Cal to figure this team out so the rest of us have no chance at this point:D

Reactions: railroadkat_1
Thread is a perfect example how little anyone knows about what to expect from this team or ANY individual player.We are in uncharted territory (even for a Cal team)It may take a while for Cal to figure this team out so the rest of us have no chance at this point:D
Primary 5 are: Greene, Diallo, Knox, Vanderbilt, and Richards.
The other players will have roles that expand and contract based on needs and how the Primary 5 are playing.

Primary 5 are: Greene, Diallo, Knox, Vanderbilt, and Richards.
The other players will have roles that expand and contract based on needs and how the Primary 5 are playing.
Just shows how deep we are. It's going to be damn hard to keep Gabriel off the court, after he bulked up so much. Most players make the biggest jump between freshman and soph Years. I expect a huge year from him, as well as a Skj, who I think will start over Richards at the 5 to start the year. PJ Washington is going to get major minutes as well.

So is Knox similar to Trey Lyles? Forward with good handles and shot? I'm not trying to force a comparison... I'm asking because I don't know. Or is there a better former UK player to compare him to?

Reactions: Cindog28

Well the good part is if he does shoot better then 35%, everybody would be happy.

So is Knox similar to Trey Lyles? Forward with good handles and shot? I'm not trying to force a comparison... I'm asking because I don't know. Or is there a better former UK player to compare him to?
I don't see them very similar though they may appear closer on paper.
Unless we were to say Knox is a rich man's Lyles.

I see Knox as better at literally everything.

No chance this team is running a three-guard lineup. We are FAR more likely to run a four-forward lineup.

We are absolutely saturated in skilled, multi-position combo forwards, including a knockdown shooter (Knox) and a "point forward" (Vanderbilt). By my count, we have five truly elite bigs: Gabriel, Vanderbilt, Washington, Knox, and Richards. Any lineup that has three of those guys on the bench is a bad use of resources.

I see enough versatility of talent that 4 forwards and 3 guards are likely to happen at times due to match ups and fouls.

Maybe even at the same time depending on your point of view because it is even possible Knox will be listed as a guard and probably just Richards listed as a center who won't always be on the court.

here's my minutes breakdown prediction (having less to do with overall talent and more to do with depth at certain positionless positions.

Most (~25);
Green
Diallo
Knox
Vanderbilt (edited to add.. meant to be here)

Next (~20);
Richards
Washington
Gabriel

Next (~15);
Shai
Wynyard (I think he's the surprise)

Low but role (~5);
Baker
SKJ (I know not popular but.. )

Last edited:
I beg to differ sir,Washington,Gabriel,SGA and SKJ may have something to say about who the primary players will be

I don't see how Washington can be slept on at all and agree on the rest too, especially Gabriel. This just doesn't seem like a short bench type team, I see at least eight "main guys" and meaningful minutes for nine and ten are likely.

here's my minutes breakdown prediction (having less to do with overall talent and more to do with depth at certain positionless positions.

Most (~25);
Green
Diallo
Knox

Next (~20);
Richards
Washington
Gabriel

Next (~15);
Shai

Low but role (~5);
Baker
Washington may make your most list and Shai your next list.I don't think even Cal knows where Wynyard,Baker and SKJ will shake out at this point

I don't see how Washington can be slept on at all and agree on the rest too, especially Gabriel. This just doesn't seem like a short bench type team, I see at least eight "main guys" and meaningful minutes for nine and ten are likely.
The big issue is that Cal seems to like going with 7 or maybe 8 guys.It would appear to be difficult to limit things to that number,there is much sorting out to be done

The big issue is that Cal seems to like going with 7 or maybe 8 guys.It would appear to be difficult to limit things to that number,there is much sorting out to be done
As I said above, I think SKJ is the one most are over-projecting. I also think Baker is not in shape to play big minutes or defense effectively... so that brings us to 8. Nothing is wrong with that.

Most (~25);
Green
Diallo
Knox

Next (~20);
Richards
Washington
Gabriel

Next (~15);
Shai

Low but role (~5);
Baker

WRONG!

By definition as you forgot Vanderbilt it would seem. I think Alexander plays more than you estimate by backing up Green and Diallo. I also think there will be games where shooting is at a premium and we see a little extra from him and Baker.

While I'm far less focused on 3 point shooting than many here, I am cognizant that it is a thing and as such it is hard not to give guys that are excellent at it at least 10-12 minutes a game once it all shakes out if they are otherwise capable of being on the floor.

Wiltjer seemingly could make Cal cry tears of blood but he put him on the floor at least some and I doubt Baker is that kind of deficiency on D and certainly not Alexander. Those guys are going to play meaningful minutes and Alexander I would guess near starter minutes.

Agreed.. but predictions are fun and we all do it.
Sure they are(fun) it is just harder to do this year than most.It is easy to leave out a player when trying to divide time.They all begin to run together.Watching practice would be a blast but we would need a scorecard to keep up.

I see enough versatility of talent that 4 forwards and 3 guards are likely to happen at times due to match ups and fouls.

Maybe even at the same time depending on your point of view because it is even possible Knox will be listed as a guard and probably just Richards listed as a center who won't always be on the court.

You're correct, different teams represent different problems plus as we have seen injuries and foul trouble can dictate who and how we play. Cal will play first the team that he deems to give him the best chance to win but as the season moves on it. Hold change.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT