ADVERTISEMENT

Wagner interchangeable

He’s found his shot.
Since Cal's post game comments that caused this board to lose their mind where he said Wagner was 40% from 3 before his injury he's been lights out from 3. Since his 0-12 stretch coming back from injury he's 9-14. Him and Edwards have both been shooting it very well from 3 lately and hopefully they can keep it up.

Since Cal's post game comments that caused this board to lose their mind where he said Wagner was 40% from 3 before his injury he's been lights out from 3. Since his 0-12 stretch coming back from injury he's 9-14. Him and Edwards have both been shooting it very well from 3 lately and hopefully they can keep it up.
If they can keep shooting like that, our defense becomes less of a liability. DJ and Justin have really turned it on offensively and Justin has become a better defender and rebounder in the last month.

If we can limit opponents offensive rebounds and continue to get scoring from so many options, I like our chances to make a big run to a Final 4. Saturday will be a big indicator for how much our team has improved from the last time we played them. They KILLED us by getting most of the 50/50 balls and offensive rebounds. Their Guards killed is off the dribble and from 3 pt range.

Our kids are hopefully looking forward to getting some payback for that last game!!

He’s found his shot. I can see him running point and playing off the ball too. Gives us more firepower from the guard position which we know is crucial in NCAA Tourney play. Wagner, Sheppard, Dillingham and Reeves along with Big Z would be a nice rotation for small periods of a game.
That lineup with all 5 who can shoot the 3😊😊🏀💙Like it

Got to show some toughness. UT will eviscerate you if you show them your underbelly. Hope the refs don’t let them do the chain saw massacre while walking UT to the line 35 times.

He’s found his shot. I can see him running point and playing off the ball too. Gives us more firepower from the guard position which we know is crucial in NCAA Tourney play. Wagner, Sheppard, Dillingham and Reeves along with Big Z would be a nice rotation for small periods of a game.
Really think this game looks a lot different with this version of Wagner AND Z improving our shooting and passing. Zoning this lineup would death for UT

I like that Wagner is hitting shots but that’s not really what we need from him. I don’t want Wagner taking 5 threes in a game. I’d rather Reeves, Reed or Rob take those shots. I only want him shooting wide open. I want to see him penetrate and finish again. I also want to see him continue to improve his on ball defense. Those 2 things are what we need him for to win. Sure, the shooting is definitely a plus though.

I like that Wagner is hitting shots but that’s not really what we need from him. I don’t want Wagner taking 5 threes in a game. I’d rather Reeves, Reed or Rob take those shots. I only want him shooting wide open. I want to see him penetrate and finish again. I also want to see him continue to improve his on ball defense. Those 2 things are what we need him for to win. Sure, the shooting is definitely a plus though.
I'm certainly most excited about Wagner's defensive presence and I dare say that Reeves improve defense will also help A LOT with this matchup. I also think Edwards is bringing something in his back pocket as well, he's not used to losing like that and kinda on a tear rn, with better defense too.

Never comment too much because it’s futile on this board sometimes, but I always felt like Cal rides with kids allot during their struggles through seasons for just this purpose. Knowing that our best chance is them breaking through and peaking at the right time.

Only formula you have year in and year out with freshman. Going according to plan this year. Sure would have not liked to lose 4-5 of the games we do each year while they figure it out. But the point is they seem to be figuring it out now. Just my two cents.

Reactions: BlazerHallsBallsN96
Wagner has shot good the last two games. I want to see that continue before I say he’s an outside threat. That was supposed to be his weakness coming out of high school, so I want to see a larger sample before I’m sold. I don’t like DJ at the point. The ball just dies when he’s at the point. I’d rather see him on the wing driving and let Rob and Reed run the point.

Reactions: AirRaid08
Don’t think anyone lost their mind at all, merely pointing out that cal fabricated Wagner shooting percentage twice in one presser was bizarre at best. He was never close to 40%, never even above 35%. But it is very good to see him (and Edwards) shooting with confidence. Adding two more weapons to an already dangerous offensive team is a great thing.

Wagner will be invaluable in this game against Ziegler if he can keep him in check. I hope I’m wrong but this game does not suit Edwards game at all. These are dudes and Edwards hasn’t played well against that kind of physicality.

Reactions: BlazerHallsBallsN96
Wagner will be invaluable in this game against Ziegler if he can keep him in check. I hope I’m wrong but this game does not suit Edwards game at all. These are dudes and Edwards hasn’t played well against that kind of physicality.
True. But Edwards is improving on both ends every time out.

This is a game Ivisic and Thiero have to control for us, and it would help us a lot if Mitchell was fully healthy.

Out of all of UK's perimeter players, Rob and Reed will be most important today because they have enough talent to transcend TN's physical defense. But if Edwards or Wagner has a solid game, that wouldn't surprise me because both have been more fundamentally sound recently.

Reactions: Chief Paducah
Wagner and Edwards have really stepped it up lately- we need them to continue this if we are going to do anything

Don’t think anyone lost their mind at all, merely pointing out that cal fabricated Wagner shooting percentage twice in one presser was bizarre at best. He was never close to 40%, never even above 35%. But it is very good to see him (and Edwards) shooting with confidence. Adding two more weapons to an already dangerous offensive team is a great thing.
When coaches do press conferences they're not always talking to the media or the fans. Sometimes they're indirectly talking to the team. I think one thing we can all agree on is one of Cal's strengths is managing the team and the egos on the team.

It seems like Wagner and Edwards need to be treated differently than a guy like Reed. I don't think it's a coincidence that Wagner's been shooting better since Cal basically defended him for an entire press conference. Sometimes comments like that are an indirect way to tell a player you still believe in them and trust them in clutch situations. I don't think it was bizarre, I think people just misunderstood who those comments were really meant for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT