ADVERTISEMENT

Per Jones-Dancing Man Fell and dropped a little girl

Tell that to the little girl.

Just curious. Who defines a stupid risk or decision is too stupid? The really stupid act of dancing on a arena steps isn't stupider enough to say don't be stupid. Dancing in front of a locomotive crosses the stupid line for you, is that right?

As far as thinking that way, just trying to walk a mile in your shoes. From my shoes, only an idiot would dance on the Rupp steps.

Who defines the risk? Apparently you. A tyrant tell us what we can and cannot do simply because they do not find others intelligent enough to make decisions for themselves. You must wear a seat belt, you cannot smoke, you must wear a bicycle helmet, you cannot dance in the aisle....things are much too dangerous for your own good. Dancing in front of a locomotive?!?! Reductio ad absurdum.

id explain why UK did this but kybassfan wouldn't be able to understand the complex word liability. So why bother?

Is there not fine print on the ticket that releases the Arena from liability? Also the city has its own immunity. The little girl was a willing participant in an innocent situation that almost went wrong. Naturally the first thing we all do is worry about being sued and then over-react.

Is there not fine print on the ticket that releases the Arena from liability? Also the city has its own immunity. The little girl was a willing participant in an innocent situation that almost went wrong. Naturally the first thing we all do is worry about being sued and then over-react.

the fact they now banned dancing pretty much answers you first question. I mean these type of announcements are lawyer/insurance company driven.

And the situation looked more like awkward kidnapping than an innocent situation. Shouldn't of been allowing a mentally challenged person dance in the first place. One small misstep and you see what happens.

Reactions: kat57
UK and Rupp arena both had to make this decision. It results to protecting further mishaps having legal actions. Rupp and UK has already saw what can happen and if they did nothing to stop it, if he were to fall again and possibly injure someone, UK and Rupp could be on the hook. By the way, they just said no dancing in the aisle, which means standing up and dancing at your seat which I'm sure will still be encouraged with Boogie Cam will still be allowed.

Good job by Rupp. Now if the guy does not have tickets to games...he won't even be at Rupp as they let him in before even though he did not have tickets (supposedly, according to MJ). UK encouraged this dumb behavior for years...bout time they fixed it. I guess that Turkey boy guy is on suicide watch today.

Reactions: TruBluCatFan
Only a complete gaf could think that it needs to be stopped, now go back to watching your Hill and Bern marathon.

I guess UK and Rupp are complete gafs cause they shut your boy down today. No more grinding and humping the rails and dancing in the aisles and using pre-teen girls as rockets/props to launch at people.

Who defines the risk? Apparently you. A tyrant tell us what we can and cannot do simply because they do not find others intelligent enough to make decisions for themselves. You must wear a seat belt, you cannot smoke, you must wear a bicycle helmet, you cannot dance in the aisle....things are much too dangerous for your own good. Dancing in front of a locomotive?!?! Reductio ad absurdum.

Ah, you are whining about the political issue of individual freedoms. Go to the paddock with that. Don't have time for that stupid discussion.

Rupp management and UK took the right stance. Go cry to your congressman about your right to splatter your brains however you see fit.

Now that's a bit more on topic. That language will help protect management and the facility if someone gets smashed in the face with a basketball or if somebody yelled fire and a stampede resulted in folks getting trampled. Letting someone behave in a stupid and dangerous way using facilities for other than their intended purpose is quite another matter. Rupp is obligated to provide a safe venue to watch a basketball game, given the risks inherent in that event. Repeatedly letting some guy hump a hand rail and accidentally toss minors down the steps is not consistent with that requirement. As such it would fall outside the exclusion.

To keep people from dancing and to fit the theme all things Kentucky are white trash, shoes are now outlawed in rupp arena

You guys are all missing the space between the lines here. He can't dance in the aisles anymore, that's the only restriction. Hopefully he (or someone else) notices this gaping (and likely intentional) allowance and continues the tradition in the seat row.

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
Now that's a bit more on topic. That language will help protect management and the facility if someone gets smashed in the face with a basketball or if somebody yelled fire and a stampede resulted in folks getting trampled. Letting someone behave in a stupid and dangerous way using facilities for other than their intended purpose is quite another matter. Rupp is obligated to provide a safe venue to watch a basketball game, given the risks inherent in that event. Repeatedly letting some guy hump a hand rail and accidentally toss minors down the steps is not consistent with that requirement. As such it would fall outside the exclusion.
Here's another poor guy thats trying to stop and get things banned, you need to get back to your Hill and Bern marathon. Us true men don't believe in more censorship or bans.

I heard that on the radio. I was thinking that they would tell him...no more humping the hand rail and don't grab anyone...so no aisle dancing?

Honestly, I don't get the point of why some are unhappy with the ban?

As the top administrator, I recently banned a guy from being on the property of a private school. He threw a fit and ran to the president of the school board who then called me. I explained to the board president that I have a responsibility to keep students, teachers and staff safe. I would do it again.

My point is that I honestly don't get why some are making this an issue of freedom or whatever? If someone is at risk, the powers that be at Rupp and UK should do whatever it takes to keep a REASONABLY safe environment.

Good call. What if everyone wanted to dance? Why did he get special treatment? Because he's different (special)? Just asking...

As the top administrator, I recently banned a guy from being on the property of a private school. He threw a fit and ran to the president of the school board who then called me. I explained to the board president that I have a responsibility to keep students, teachers and staff safe. I would do it again.

My point is that I honestly don't get why some are making this an issue of freedom or whatever? If someone is at risk, the powers that be at Rupp and UK should do whatever it takes to keep a REASONABLY safe environment.
Him dancing in the aisle and down the rails was fine and basically no risk (not talking about getting the girl, that was wrong). If you are for a perfectly safe environment, then get all fans to take a breathalyzer before entrance to make sure no fans are under the influence and cause me a danger while there.

The only one who could ever evict me.... Was the son of a preacher fan.

Jk, anyways I hope nutz on a rail gets to have atleast one more dance to prove himself. I do think as I mentioned in one of the 42 dancing man threads he should be the Y one game. If you embarrass yourself like that just in Lexington it's bad, imagine for the whole world to see it

Reactions: preacherfan
I don't really believe a safe environment to watch basketball, in general, is at issue.

up until now, it could have been reasonably argued that the possibility of someone getting injured due to this seemingly harmless dance was not reasonably foreseeable. So their liability exposure didn't seem great at all. Once he picked up the little girl, and fell with her, that was no longer the case. At that point, Rupp & UK were "on notice," meaning if it were to happen again they would very likely be liable.

I feel bad for the guy, but I don't really think Rupp & UK had any choice & did the right thing.

I don't really believe a safe environment to watch basketball, in general, is at issue.

up until now, it could have been reasonably argued that the possibility of someone getting injured due to this seemingly harmless dance was not reasonably foreseeable. So their liability exposure didn't seem great at all. Once he picked up the little girl, and fell with her, that was no longer the case. At that point, Rupp & UK were "on notice," meaning if it were to happen again they would very likely be liable.

I feel bad for the guy, but I don't really think Rupp & UK had any choice & did the right thing.

Best post on the subject. You said it well in a few words. Kudos!

Reactions: 3rex
Him dancing in the aisle and down the rails was fine and basically no risk (not talking about getting the girl, that was wrong). If you are for a perfectly safe environment, then get all fans to take a breathalyzer before entrance to make sure no fans are under the influence and cause me a danger while there.

It isn't about a "perfectly safe environment." It is about a REASONABLY safe environment. 3Rex nailed it.

Good lord...how did we ever get to the point in our society where everything we do must be judged as to whether someone possibly might hurt themselves if the slip and fall....how dare you injure yourself without prior approval of the staff.

And while we are at it.... STAY OFF OF MY GRASS.

The fact that you think the fine print on the back of the ticket would have gotten Rupp Arena off the hook had the girl been injured is so unbelievably wrong I don't know where to begin. For starters, let's just say the capacity of that little girl to waive liability did not exist.

And it wasn't an innocent situation. Dancing guy obviously has little to no appreciation for the risk involved in picking up a child and attempting to slide down the railing on stairs made of concrete. It was reasonably foreseeable that it would be taken too far, and it was. Should have been stopped years ago.

It isn't about a "perfectly safe environment." It is about a REASONABLY safe environment. 3Rex nailed it.

I know we as a society have totally lost our common sense and we must make laws that affect everyone based on a single occurrence. In the good old days they'd have gone to the guy and said...hey buddy, good thing the little girl who willing joined in, good thing she didnt get hurt. So how about going forward you do not touch or pick up any children...even if their parents knowingly send one your way to participate in your act.

So rather than deal with it from the "common sense" way......we take a hammer and drive a nail in it. Thou shalt not dance in the aisles as previously happened every game by one person for about 45-seconds for several years without incident. The Nanny State wins again...

Suggestion: Bicycle helmets required for anyone with the reckless desire to actually climb the steps in the upper arena. Slip there and its a long way to the bottom.

Good lord...how did we ever get to the point in our society where everything we do must be judged as to whether someone possibly might hurt themselves if the slip and fall....how dare you injure yourself without prior approval of the staff.

And while we are at it.... STAY OFF OF MY GRASS.

I agree somewhat with your sentiment & where you're coming from.

But in this case someone didn't "maybe" fall or "possibly" fall...they did fall. It's no longer a hypothetical, it happened. At that point any corp. or individual has to act accordingly.

Well DrH. Lecter... let me pick you up , grind on you and then drop you down a flight of stairs and see how you like it.

Maybe I should rethink that in case you would like it....

The fact that you think the fine print on the back of the ticket would have gotten Rupp Arena off the hook had the girl been injured is so unbelievably wrong I don't know where to begin. For starters, let's just say the capacity of that little girl to waive liability did not exist.

And it wasn't an innocent situation. Dancing guy obviously has little to no appreciation for the risk involved in picking up a child and attempting to slide down the railing on stairs made of concrete. It was reasonably foreseeable that it would be taken too far, and it was. Should have been stopped years ago.

Re-read my QUESTION. The fact is that you did not read carefully enough to see I posed it as a question...as witnessed by the ? at the end of the sentence.

As for dancing guy....the continuous reference to his "mental" capacity would seem to make it difficult for him to act recklessly or to have much appreciation for risk.

As for dancing guy....the continuous reference to his "mental" capacity would seem to make it difficult for him to act recklessly or to have much appreciation for risk.

And because he can't, in light of what happened, Rupp & UK are now, from a potential liability standpoint, on the hook for appreciating that risk themselves.

Last edited:
Well DrH. Lecter... let me pick you up , grind on you and then drop you down a flight of stairs and see how you like it.

Maybe I should rethink that in case you would like it....

I think we can all agree he made a poor decision picking up the little girl. I do not think that has anything to do with his previous dance routines. Lets legislate against picking up small children. Beyond that I think we have allowed the ambulance chasers to scare off having fun.

I bet there were ambulance chasers handing out their business cards to the little girls parents all the way back to their car after the game.

And because he can't, in light of what happened. Rupp & UK are now, from a potential liability standpoint, on the hook for appreciating that risk themselves.

If I were Rupp Arena I'd have been forced to do exactly the same thing. I am just mocking the situation because it is the way we have allowed lawyers to wreck our having fun...because of fear of litigation.

So rather than deal with it from the "common sense" way......we take a hammer and drive a nail in it. Thou shalt not dance in the aisles as previously happened every game by one person for about 45-seconds for several years without incident. The Nanny State wins again....

But, that works two ways. NOBODY used common sense when Sandusky was seen showering with children. Even after he was investigated the first time, he was told, "Don't do that any more!"

Well, he did do it more and we now have laws that EVERY volunteer in the state who is working with children have to have a background check. If they don't get it done, they are banned from working around kids.

I think we can all agree he made a poor decision picking up the little girl. I do not think that has anything to do with his previous dance routines. Lets legislate against picking up small children. Beyond that I think we have allowed the ambulance chasers to scare off having fun.

I bet there were ambulance chasers handing out their business cards to the little girls parents all the way back to their car after the game.

pretty sure there are laws against kidnapping already lol

If I were Rupp Arena I'd have been forced to do exactly the same thing. I am just mocking the situation because it is the way we have allowed lawyers to wreck our having fun...because of fear of litigation.

Yea I understand & had picked up on that. Like I stated earlier I actually agree with the broader point your making & mocking. The threat of lawsuits, damages & sue happy attorneys continues to scare us out of having fun anymore. And that is sad.

But, that works two ways. NOBODY used common sense when Sandusky was seen showering with children. Even after he was investigated the first time, he was told, "Don't do that any more!"

Well, he did do it more and we now have laws that EVERY volunteer in the state who is working with children have to have a background check. If they don't get it done, they are banned from working around kids.

I hate to tell you but background checks for people working with kids have been around long before Penn States situation. There are background checks before you can even perform construction work etc... in a school and you are not even working with the kids.

Your Sandusky reference in this thread should be in the dictionary under "reductio ad absurdum." What Sandusky did was already illegal. Dance is not even illegal in a baptist church.

Yea I understand & had picked up on that. Like I stated earlier I actually agree with the broader point your making & mocking. The threat of lawsuits, damages & sue happy attorneys continues to scare us out of having fun anymore. And that is sad.

Thank you. Well said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT