ADVERTISEMENT

"Parity!" - The Cal cultists were right!

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
Two #1 seeds in the title game, including a UConn team that is about to win their 4th title since 2011.

This incredible parity in college basketball is clearly the reason Kentucky has been struggling!

It's parity, I tell ya! It must be so hard for Calipari to coach in today's game, when Duke, UNC, Villanova, Kansas and UConn have ONLY attained 12 of the last 16 eligible season national championships (after UConn finishes the job Monday).

Last edited:
Cal cultists: You can't expect Kentucky to win multiple titles in a short window of time. It's just not reasonable. Kentucky went almost forty years with only one title.

UConn since 1999 be like:

6rings.gif

Not sure what you're watching if you don't think this year had parity with top 10 teams having a losing record on the road against unranked teams. And it's not just parity, it's also traditional programs not being as dominant. Last year's Final Four was UConn, FAU, Miami, and SDSU. This year had Alabama get their first, NC State get their first in 41 years, and Purdue their first in 44 years.

UConn is doing UConn things, but the makeup of the last two Final Fours shows the landscape has changed. 2021 also had a first time champion and the Final Four was three non-traditional powers and a 11 seed UCLA. 2019 was two first time title game participants, a first time Final Four Auburn, and Michigan St.

If you can't clearly see the landscape changing then I dont know what to tell you. Acknowledging the changing landscape isn't a defense of Cal, it's just reality.

Lol, we had an 11 seed who was a 10 seed in the ACC tournament play in their first final four in over 40 years. We had AL just play in their first F4 ever. Purdue was in their first final four in over 40 years.

Maybe you should look up what parity means. Unless of course this is a parody.

Not sure what you're watching if you don't think this year had parity with top 10 teams having a losing record on the road against unranked teams. And it's not just parity, it's also traditional programs not being as dominant. Last year's Final Four was UConn, FAU, Miami, and SDSU. This year had Alabama get their first, NC State get their first in 41 years, and Purdue their first in 44 years.

UConn is doing UConn things, but the makeup of the last two Final Fours shows the landscape has changed. 2021 also had a first time champion and the Final Four was three non-traditional powers and a 11 seed UCLA. 2019 was two first time title game participants, a first time Final Four Auburn, and Michigan St.

If you can't clearly see the landscape changing then I dont know what to tell you. Acknowledging the changing landscape isn't a defense of Cal, it's just reality.
It has been weaponized to become a defense of Cal. That's the primary reason people point to it on this message board.

And how many non power-five schools have won a title?

You pushing right through the point of "UConn doing UConn things" is a thin argument. UConn never called themselves the "gold standard", but Cal did. UConn never said, "We move the needle," but Cal did. UConn never said, "We're chasing UCLA," but Cal did.

We have an arrogant coach who hasn't done much of anything in years, and fans like you defend him with notions that programs like "UConn doing UConn things," which totally contradicts your broader points that a program like Kentucky - with all of its money, resources, and pedigree - can't do "Kentucky things."

It must be exhausting for fans like you to create new deflections for Calipari.

Landscape is changing, but UK (outside of a 5 year run between 2011 and 2015) has fallen behind those other programs SOS mentioned. It’s not even up for debate. We can crow about our all/time history….but the last 25 years has spoken.

Lol, we had an 11 seed who was a 10 seed in the ACC tournament play in their first final four in over 40 years. We had AL just play in their first F4 ever. Purdue was in their first final four in over 40 years.

Maybe you should look up what parity means. Unless of course this is a parody.
Two power five schools, including one that has one of the better athletic budgets in the nation. 3/4 of the Final Four teams all were ranked in the top 10 at some point this season.

By the way, are either of Alabama or NC State about to play Monday night?

Two power five schools, including one that has one of the better athletic budgets in the nation. 3/4 of the Final Four teams all were ranked in the top 10 at some point this season.

They were all power 5 schools, it doesn't change the fact 3 of the 4 haven't traditionally been there, or even been there in most people's lifetime. AL has never been there. There was quite a bit of parity in this years F4. The 2 best teams of the season made the final.

Just because those 2 teams made the championship doesn't negate their was parity in the F4, yet again. 6 of the last 8 teams in the F4 have either never been, or had not been in several decades. That's a sign of the current landscape with the changes in CBB.

Cal can still completely suck and it still be true there is parity in CBB now, more than ever. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Okay, but people aren't arguing power schools will not longer be good. You're completely missing the argument people are making because apparently every opinion about college basketball needs to either be a pro-Cal or anti-Cal opinion to you.

What people are saying is the new landscape makes it easier for teams exactly like Purdue and Bama to create dominant programs. It's not about power conference or mid major. It's that a school like Bama can now attract players just as easy as a blue blood can, because there are more important things nowadays than program tradition and prestige.

The last handful of years the Final Four and title games have been full of non-traditional powers (I'm not saying mid majors, I'm just saying programs that aren't in the top one or two tiers of college programs) and that's not really debatable.

It has been weaponized to become a defense of Cal. That's the primary reason people point to it on this message board.
You think this because everything has to be about Cal to you. Almost every time I've seen it posted this season has been just mentioning the fact that the season had been full of upsets. Which it was. You see it as a defense of Cal because that's how you want to see it when the facts prove it to be true.

And how many non power-five schools have won a title?

You pushing right through the point of "UConn doing UConn things" is a thin argument. UConn never called themselves the "gold standard", but Cal did. UConn never said, "We move the needle," but Cal did. UConn never said, "We're chasing UCLA," but Cal did.

We have an arrogant coach who hasn't done much of anything in years, and fans like you defend him with notions that programs like "UConn doing UConn things," which totally contradicts your broader points that a program like Kentucky - with all of its money, resources, and pedigree - can't do "Kentucky things."

It must be exhausting for fans like you to create new deflections for Calipari.
It can't be near as exhausting as posting 100 posts a day on this site (who knows what other sites you do it to) to hijack every thread to tell everyone how much Cal sucks at coaching and how much you hate him.

• Love
Reactions: BlueTick2
Two #1 seeds in the title game, including a UConn team that is about to win their 4th title since 2011.

This incredible parity in college basketball is clearly the reason Kentucky has been struggling!

It's parity, I tell ya! It must be so hard for Calipari to coach in today's game, when Duke, UNC, Villanova, Kansas and UConn have ONLY attained 12 of the last 16 eligible season national championships (after UConn finishes the job Monday).
💯 after 2015 it felt like we would 2-3 by now. It blows.

Parity exists to an extent but the same group of teams are winning it all overall.

Baylor, Virginia, Syracuse and Maryland and Florida exceptions this century.
If Florida is on this list Villanova probably should be too. They won a miracle title 40 years ago but were known as tournament chokers until Jay Wright broke through and won two. Wright's success in the last five years of his tenure really changed how people view the program, but before 2016 they had fewer Final Fours over the last 40 years than Florida.

Not on here it isn't.

They were all power 5 schools, it doesn't change the fact 3 of the 4 haven't traditionally been there, or even been there in most people's lifetime. AL has never been there. There was quite a bit of parity in this years F4. The 2 best teams of the season made the final.

Just because those 2 teams made the championship doesn't negate their was parity in the F4, yet again. 6 of the last 8 teams in the F4 have either never been, or had not been in several decades. That's a sign of the current landscape with the changes in CBB.

Cal can still completely suck and it still be true there is parity in CBB now, more than ever. They aren't mutually exclusive.
I agree that parity is stronger than ever, but it shouldn't change expectations if we're dealing with a competent program. By the way, were you saying the same thing when VCU and Butler made the Final Four in 2011? What about when Butler earned back-to-back title game appearances? What about when George Mason made it in 2006 or when 2018 Loyola Chicago made the Final Four?

College basketball has gotten older and more mature, but parity should not be an excuse to cover up for blatant incompetence. We've seen multiple traditional Blue Blood programs be able to adapt to the new system, and quite successfully. Since COVID, Kansas has won a title; UConn is about to win their second; Duke made the Final Four in 2022; UCLA made the Final Four in 2021; and even UNC knocked on the door of a national title just a few years ago. Meanwhile, Kentucky has been the only blueblood that did not make a Final Four since the COVID 5th year rule began.

You lower the quality of your argument against Cal when you act like a chimp throwing shit at a wall....

Look how many top 10 vs unranked team defeats there were this year. When people talk parity they don't mean that mid/low echelon teams will be winning championships. They mean the gap between the haves and the haves-not is as small as it's ever been.

You don't need to reach for these dumb arguments where you're not really even correct just to pile on Cal. Everyone knows you can't stand him, and after the last 2 years pretty much everyone else is on board. So you're yelling ANYTHING you can think of at the few remaining board members that are pumping Cal... Sad bro, do better.

If Florida is on this list Villanova probably should be too. They won a miracle title 40 years ago but were known as tournament chokers until Jay Wright broke through and won two. Wright's success in the last five years of his tenure really changed how people view the program, but before 2016 they had fewer Final Fours over the last 40 years than Florida.

I just meant teams winning their first title this century. But yeah Florida and nova overall are similar.

It can't be near as exhausting as posting 100 posts a day on this site (who knows what other sites you do it to) to hijack every thread to tell everyone how much Cal sucks at coaching and how much you hate him.
This is my thread. I created it.

Oh the irony of you coming into my thread like an old man screaming at the sky, hijacking it, and then writing that I hijack threads.

I know you love Calipari and would gladly keep him on for another five years if necessary. Says a lot about your mindset. Such a mindset absolutely demeans our program standards.

You lower the quality of your argument against Cal when you act like a chimp throwing shit at a wall....

Look how many top 10 vs unranked team defeats there were this year. When people talk parity they don't mean that mid/low echelon teams will be winning championships. They mean the gap between the haves and the haves-not is as small as it's ever been.

You don't need to reach for these dumb arguments where you're not really even correct just to pile on Cal. Everyone knows you can't stand him, and after the last 2 years pretty much everyone else is on board. So you're yelling ANYTHING you can think of at the few remaining board members that are pumping Cal... Sad bro, do better.
Is it sad that UConn is about to win their second title post-COVID? Is it sad that Kansas, UNC, Duke, UCLA, and UConn have all made Final Fours post-COVID, but Kentucky has not?

If your argument is that Kentucky should be in the pack, or barely above the pack, then what's sad is your standard for Kentucky. There's no doubt parity is a real thing now, but not to the extent that Calipari should be exonerated. That's the point, and I thought someone like you would have been able to grasp it better.

And you shouldn't really be telling anyone anything about the issue. Just about three weeks ago, you were still on Team Calipari. Your credibility is only now slowly being rebuilt. Some of us haven't forgotten the great lengths you used to go to drink down, and then regurgitate Cal's nonsense.

That was actually what was sad. You're in no position to lecture anyone about anything. You're the Lazarus of this message board - your argument formerly dead and in the grave, only to resurrected by the will of something so far above and beyond you called reality. It woke you up, but barely in time to see the last essence of the program burn down in real time right before your eyes.

Parity only exists to the Final Four and then the usual teams top seeded teams take it home.

Since Cal has been here

UConn- 4 titles probably as of Monday night def Butler, UK, SD State, Purdue
Duke- 2 titles Def. Butler and Wisconsin
Nova- 2 titles Def. UNC and Michigan
Kansas- 1 Def. UNC
UNC- 1 Def. Gonzaga
Virginia- 1 Def. Tech
Baylor- 1 Def. Gonzaga
Lville- 1* Def. Michigan

Last edited:
If your argument is that Kentucky should be in the pack, or barely above the pack, then what's sad is your standard for Kentucky.
I mean, outside of 2011-2015 Kentucky has been barely above the pack over the past 25 years. We have the same number of Final Fours as UCLA over that timespan and fewer titles than Kansas, UNC, Duke if we look at blue bloods. So that kind of has been the standard here for a quarter of a century unfortunately.

Reactions: Fox2monk
This is my thread. I created it.

Oh the irony of you coming into my thread like an old man screaming at the sky, hijacking it, and then writing that I hijack threads.

I know you love Calipari and would gladly keep him on for another five years if necessary. Says a lot about your mindset. Such a mindset absolutely demeans our program standards.
I know you created it. You creat 5 like it ever day. It would really be nice if someone in charge would finally say "this dead horse has been beaten enough". A person can't get on this board anymore to read anything with out reading the majority of posts bashing our coach. A thread about Booker having a good game turns into "yeah Cal sucks" instead of people actually talking about the game that Booker played in and how well he did.

Reactions: Ky-troutbum
Is it sad that UConn is about to win their second title post-COVID? Is it sad that Kansas, UNC, Duke, UCLA, and UConn have all made Final Fours post-COVID, but Kentucky has not?

If your argument is that Kentucky should be in the pack, or barely above the pack, then what's sad is your standard for Kentucky. There's no doubt parity is a real thing now, but not to the extent that Calipari should be exonerated. That's the point, and I thought someone like you would have been able to grasp it better.

And you shouldn't really be telling anyone anything about the issue. Just about three weeks ago, you were still on Team Calipari. Your credibility is only now slowly being rebuilt. Some of us haven't forgotten the great lengths you used to go to drink down, and then regurgitate Cal's nonsense.

That was actually what was sad. You're in no position to lecture anyone about anything. You're the Lazarus of this message board - your argument formerly dead and in the grave, only to resurrected by the will of something so far above and beyond you called reality. It woke you up, but barely in time to see the last essence of the program burn down in real time right before your eyes.
No, I have no argument.

But basketball's parity is as high as it's ever been. So you making a thread refuting that due to Purdue and UConn in the title game is less than intelligent I-told-you-so bullshit when the competitors in the title game have nothing to do with the state of parity in CBB.

The very tippy-top top teams can still dominate each year, and parity can be as high as it's ever been in history, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Yep . And when you start freshmen all year you will lose a lot of games and never get a number one seed .
Who should have started? We won more games starting 3 freshman than any of our other starting lineups, and we only started 3 freshman 9/33 games.

with top 10 teams having a losing record on the road against unranked teams
This sounds like a convincing statistic if you don't think about it much.

But it isn't actually even a statistic.

Which top 10 teams had losing records against unranked teams? All of them? I don't think so?

Some of them? No duh. There are always fluctuations in that sort of dataset. But they are fluctuations in trends here: they are not the trends.

You are a good poster generally. But please don't blow smoke up our asses. We've had enough of that coming from our head coach to last us a good long time.

It’s luck

I know you created it. You creat 5 like it ever day. It would really be nice if someone in charge would finally say "this dead horse has been beaten enough". A person can't get on this board anymore to read anything with out reading the majority of posts bashing our coach. A thread about Booker having a good game turns into "yeah Cal sucks" instead of people actually talking about the game that Booker played in and how well he did.
Likewise, a person can't get on this board anymore without the Cal Suckers pushing mediocrity and perversion of the coaching position to support that dumb NBA agenda.

I mean, we were a three seed. Bama a four. Coaching matters.

It is interesting that UK has lost 2 first round games in the past 4 years: St Peters and Oakland. St Peters went on to beat WKU and Purdue before losing to UNC. As I recall UNC went to the title game that year. Oakland lost to NCSt in OT. NCSt went to the FF.

That seems to show that some of these lower tier teams are good enough that they can't be taken for granted. It is the responsibility of the coach to have his team ready to play, to play the right players, and to counter the moves of the opposing coach. Cal has fallen far short of that for 4 straight years now.

My only solace is that AT LEAST we haven't lost to a 16 seed yet. Apparently Painter learned from doing just that. Cal didn't learn from the loss to St Peters obviously.

I mean, outside of 2011-2015 Kentucky has been barely above the pack over the past 25 years. We have the same number of Final Fours as UCLA over that timespan and fewer titles than Kansas, UNC, Duke if we look at blue bloods. So that kind of has been the standard here for a quarter of a century unfortunately.
Yep coaches matter. From a coach who couldn’t/wouldn’t recruit (10 years) to a recruiter who wouldn’t/couldn’t coach (15 years). Because we are UK still got 2 titles from this debacle though.

Likewise, a person can't get on this board anymore without the Cal Suckers pushing mediocrity and perversion of the coaching position to support that dumb NBA agenda.
🙄. Respectfully that’s simply not true. I’d love if you could cite/link a recent non troll thread supporting Cal. The fact you’ll be hard pressed to do so discredits the claims by many on here that there are nonsensical Cal cults and Cal suckers, etc. It’s just not the case but then without that narrative what would many on here have left to post about?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT