ADVERTISEMENT

Out of state UK fans

Nashville UT fans have to be the worst. You’re 200 miles from campus in a city that’s vibrant and rich in music tradition and those fat orange assholes are running around, peeing on Vanderbilts football stadium, and when they get seriously injured while drunk and firing a rocket out of their ass—they get operated on by a surgeon. At Vanderbilt Hospital. Lick and shove that up your ass, Clay Travis you poltroon.
Cannot stand Clay Travis - he is a punk. Used to be on a local sports talk show and easily the worst. He's like the child that would rather have negative attention than no attention at all. Classic a-hole. Gets something right from time to time - but that does not negate the rest of who he is.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I've been in AZ basically since '95... I lived in the Tucson area (95-97), it sucked; obviously.

Phx area, no issues...usually positive vibes

Reactions: chroix
New England. Nobody cares. Go to UConn, but it's not the undergrad, so nobody cares.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Live in So Calif, I know don't even say it, I have had UK plates on my vehicle-personalized and a few folks would see them and strike up a conversation. B/c of the big UCLA/USC rivalry it goes basically un-noticed. I loved it when the Cats would play in the Wooden Classic very close to my home in Anaheim. I bought 20 tix the 1st yr of that classic and took many friends and customers..

I lived in Washington, DC when U.K. lost to Georgetown in the Final Four in 1984. That wasn’t much fun.

The worst was my coworker who was a Wisconsin grad. I moved away in 2004 but he still managed to track me down in 2015 to give me shit.:cry:

The fans where I live now are all Villanova fans. They’re really nice.
I think you must live fairly close to where I live now in PA and those who are college basketball fans, do seem to prefer Villanova. That fanbase really seems to grow on the years when they have a good team and you don't see or hear much from them during other years. :)

Upstate NY fan. I try and get to any UK game within 200 miles. Been to Rupp only once. Decided to get into college basketball back when I was 16, and I hated all the d-bags that repped Syracuse, UNC and Duke (the three most popular up by me)... and as always, I went against the grain, probably out of spite.

I picked Kentucky over LSU (lolol), in part because Kentucky had solid history. Little did I know I got in at the end of the Tubby years, and then the BCG years. I was paying more attention to our football team in not too long. Fell in love with the tournament, and then a few years later we grabbed Calipari.

..in case anyone says "Fairweather Fan", let me remind some on here that I'm a Jets fan.. which means 1. I'm loyal and 2. I ****ing deserve this.

For those UK fans that have spent time outside of Kentucky, what have your interactions with your local fans been like? I grew up in Indiana and when Bobby Knight was the Bobby Knight of old. IU fans were brutal. Purdue fans were pretty friendly due to having a common enemy. No other fans really existed. Now, it's just crickets from IU fans and Purdue fans are kinda 50/50. I am seeing an obvious spike in more UK swag around central Indy these days though. Just curious what you out of state fans' interactions with the local fans are like.

I’m outside Louisville I’m Jeffersonville and it’s the Big 3 all year here. Lots of trash talk all year. Mainly by UK because we drag those fools almost every year.

They really do HS football down here the right way. A lot of these programs are so well-organized that they resemble small colleges, especially the stadiums. I used to live in Temple, Texas, where they won a couple of state titles and if I didn't know better I would say that movie "Varsity Blues" was based on their HS team. They actually start kids out in the third grade playing football and evaluate them every year. The coaches meet with the parents after the season and make recommendations on how the kid can progress, or if it's even worth the time to continue playing football. That's fairly common across the state but it's very serious down here and a lot of money is spent on the programs. The first HS game I attended in Temple was in 1984 and they were playing Midland Lee, who some may remember from the movie "Friday Night Lights". Midland Lee flew in for the game and the Temple team dressed out 119 players. Also, if you're not a season ticket holder chances are slim that you'll get in for a game. The girl I was dating knew a couple of season ticket holders and managed to find us a couple of seats.
Yeah I didn’t get much better than Texas HS football from all the things I’ve read and seen.

Upstate NY fan. I try and get to any UK game within 200 miles. Been to Rupp only once. Decided to get into college basketball back when I was 16, and I hated all the d-bags that repped Syracuse, UNC and Duke (the three most popular up by me)... and as always, I went against the grain, probably out of spite.

I picked Kentucky over LSU (lolol), in part because Kentucky had solid history. Little did I know I got in at the end of the Tubby years, and then the BCG years. I was paying more attention to our football team in not too long. Fell in love with the tournament, and then a few years later we grabbed Calipari.

..in case anyone says "Fairweather Fan", let me remind some on here that I'm a Jets fan.. which means 1. I'm loyal and 2. I ****ing deserve this.
solid history? #1 all time baby

solid history? #1 all time baby
I’m from Owensboro but have lived in Bradenton /Sarasota area for over 4 years. There are a lot of Cats fans here. I was waiting to t-off one Sunday and had on my Kentucky shirt. A lady walked up to me and asked me if I was new to the group. I told her no, she told me that the community that she lives in has a group between 16-20 people from Kentucky that play every Sunday!! Alumni Ass. Is very active in the area. Group meets at sports bar in Sarasota for every uK game.
Mostly Florida and FSU fans and a few South Florida . Most that I have talked to know and care very little about basketball. Florida fans know everything about Bama, Georgia, LSU football but nothing about Kentucky. They have no idea about the job Stoops a crew are doing.

NW Arkansas here. It's pretty much all Razorback fans. They are mostly respectful of UK BB and hope to renew the rivalry of the 90's. I've had no problem going to Bud Walton for UK games. Friendly ribbing when they beat is in OT.

Walmart and methamphetamine dominate here. Unemployment is fairly low and it's mostly safe here. Just a lot of petty theft.

Central Arkansas here, and I agree with the above. I see UK fans frequently but FAR FAR more Arkansas fans and likely more LSU fans as well.

Most fans, like most SEC states, much more into football - though that's not going well currently. But the basketball fans I know are really knowledgeable and respectful. They upgraded coaches here recently and have a lot of reason to be optimistic. They would love to return to being one of the top bball programs in the conference and I'd like that as well.

In Ohio there was quite a few UK fans, and a general respect for UK basketball. Most people in Ohio are football fans so basketball doesn’t mean much to them until March.

Now I live in NoVa where it’s a melting pot of basketball fans. I enjoy diversity of fans here and being able to absorb different perspectives of college basketball. It’s also fun to talk trash :)

Reactions: wildcatsboston1984
I'm in Central NC and there are ACC fans galore around here. UNCheat ones are the most obnoxious, Duke fans are smug, and NC State fans are tolerable. Heels love to act high and mighty. If the NCAA only had the nads to punish those bastards....

Cannot stand Clay Travis - he is a punk. Used to be on a local sports talk show and easily the worst. He's like the child that would rather have negative attention than no attention at all. Classic a-hole. Gets something right from time to time - but that does not negate the rest of who he is.

Travis fed on pissing off uk basketball and bama football fans early on. The guy is a talented writer and very intelligent and has built a conservative sports empire of sorts so cant deny his success and talent. 104.5 has sucked since he left and look at it now. A joke lineup.

I’m from Owensboro but have lived in Bradenton /Sarasota area for over 4 years. There are a lot of Cats fans here. I was waiting to t-off one Sunday and had on my Kentucky shirt. A lady walked up to me and asked me if I was new to the group. I told her no, she told me that the community that she lives in has a group between 16-20 people from Kentucky that play every Sunday!! Alumni Ass. Is very active in the area. Group meets at sports bar in Sarasota for every uK game.
Mostly Florida and FSU fans and a few South Florida . Most that I have talked to know and care very little about basketball. Florida fans know everything about Bama, Georgia, LSU football but nothing about Kentucky. They have no idea about the job Stoops a crew are doing.
They did in 2018.

Travis fed on pissing off uk basketball and bama football fans early on. The guy is a talented writer and very intelligent and has built a conservative sports empire of sorts so cant deny his success and talent. 104.5 has sucked since he left and look at it now. A joke lineup.
Hey is a marketing guy... picks angles/fan bases/issues etc. that he knows will tweak and create controversy and eyes... not a dumb approach to building a brand and name. I find him arrogant and without any core (other than what builds his brand). A basic A-hole - BUT to your point - he has figured a way to monetize it and build some sort of following. Agree 104.5 is a sad situation to be sure...

Sarasota, FL but graduated from UK in 2008. I have had numerous encounters with UK fans as I wear a lot of UK shirts and my car has a license plate holder and front plate logo. But my two favorite instances (just because of how ridiculous they were) have to be an older couple literally following me off the interstate to get next to me in traffic, ask me to roll my window down and say "Go Big Blue". Then proceed to ask if I'm from Kentucky, went to school there, yada yada yada. The other situation was at work (office building with multiple companies working on-site) running out to my car to go and pick up lunch. Guy was on his phone on a smoke break outside in front of my car. Once he noticed it was my car he promptly ended his phone call and started a conversation with me about how crazy it was that Cal landed Kevin Knox basically out of nowhere. All the bs aside when it comes to positive fandom from our crazy BBN brethren it is always awesome to experience and reminds me why I'm a fan.

Well in Georgia they for the most part don’t like basketball. It’s all about football. They pound their chest every year ( this is the year we beat Bama ) then cry and whine when they don’t. The good thing is that most of them that try and talk crap to me were not alive the last time Georgia won a football title. I was 3 so I don’t recall it either. Go Cats

And go where? I don't see Kentucky fitting in the Big 10 or ACC. We get to own SEC basketball and now compete in the powerhouse football conference.
ACC so we can own that conference too haha, nah but in all seriousness the SEC is getting tougher in basketball and I feel like more interest is being drawn toward basketball by SEC teams like auburn, tennessee and arkansas.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
Tons of UK fans here in Franklin, TN.

Most people outside of folks from Kentucky don’t really care that much about college basketball. You really have to hunt for someone who could even talk college basketball with you. People just don’t care about the sport.

Kissimmee....I see UK fans from time to time wearing gear, at Home Depot and other places.

Gator fans mostly around here. They're pretty cool, nobody's been obnoxious to me when I mention UK.

South Carolina - Lots of Clemson and of course SCjr. Good spirited convos but since we own the Cocks these days they didn't have much to say.

I’m 40 minutes from East Lansing, and 45 from Ann Arbor.

Michigan State fans think their sh*t doesn’t stink and Izzo is Jesus in the flesh. They’re all annoying.

Michigan basketball fans are ok. I even find myself pulling for them sometimes. Their football fans are a different story, very similar to MSU hoops fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT