ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The great Bob Cousy on the NBA Finals

Last edited:
Reactions: OHIO COLONEL
Don't watch NBA too much anymore and haven't for a while. I'll check out the playoffs and finals though. Would love to see the Celtics pass the Lakers in all time titles. It's looking like they can possibly create some distance in the future as well because Boston is loaded and the Lakers are a mess.

If the Celtics win 18 that firmly solidifies them as the GOAT right? They own the Lakers head to head and in the finals.

I never watch the NBA but I remember watching Cousy when I was young. He's now 95.

As great as Bob Cousy was. There are those that will tell you that former UK great Ralph Beard was better. Beard, Alex Groza & Bill Spivey if it wasn't for a point shaving scandal that rocked the basketball world during the early 50's. These 3 Kentucky greats would all be in The Hall of Fame & would be considered as 3 of the greatest players in history.

Reactions: OHIO COLONEL
If the Celtics win 18 that firmly solidifies them as the GOAT right? They own the Lakers head to head and in the finals.

They just bought more players and won 11 in 13 seasons or something in ancient times. Kinda like ucla.

And to the other poster talking about the Celtics passing the lakers, the Celtics have been number 1 forever due to what I mentioned above. Lakers only finally caught them n 2020.

They just bought more players and won 11 in 13 seasons or something in ancient times. Kinda like ucla.

And to the other poster talking about the Celtics passing the lakers, the Celtics have been number 1 forever due to what I mentioned above. Lakers only finally caught them n 2020.
The Lakers also buy championships. They mostly rely on free agents coming to LA.

Reactions: K_TIME
As great as Bob Cousy was. There are those that will tell you that former UK great Ralph Beard was better. Beard, Alex Groza & Bill Spivey if it wasn't for a point shaving scandal that rocked the basketball world during the early 50's. These 3 Kentucky greats would all be in The Hall of Fame & would be considered as 3 of the greatest players in history.
Good comment TopCatCal. In college, I dare say no one thought Cousy was better than Ralph Beard. Beard was a consensus 1st team AA for three years. First cover boy on the original Sports Illustrated. Bob Cousy did not make 1st team AA until Ralph Beard left for the NBA and only did it once. When asked who his "best defensive player was," Coach Rupp told John McGill "We've had a lot of those because you have to play defense if you want to win. (Lou) Tsioropoulos was good. Ellis Johnson would have to be on the list. But I believe Kenny Rollins was the best defensive player I coached. He stopped Bob Cousy." Rollins, UK's captain in both encounters with Cousy at Holy Cross did hold him in check. Heck of a running mate with Beard.

After moving to the professional ranks and starting the Indianapolis Olympians with Alex Groza, Wah Wah Jones, Cliff Barker and Joe Holland, Ralph Beard was a second team All-NBA and first team All-NBA in his two seasons. That's how good he was. In fact, Bob Cousy did not make an all league team until Ralph Beard was suspended for life due to the point shaving scandal. Cousy was great, yet most who saw them both play will tell you he was a distant second to the great Ralph Beard.

Last edited:
Reactions: UK90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT