ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dook's Whitehead declares

Mgbako is a hard one to gage. At one point he could have been #1 in the class but has cooled considerably since. There is a real chance he’s closer to Whitney, Poythress type then what I initially thought which was Jonathon Kuminga like.
Hell they are all hard to judge for me until they've played at least a month of college ball. I've had some that I had huge expectations for that didn't impress at all, and some that I assumed would be just serviceable, who ended up looking great.

Yeah I expected him to be a major star. Saw him play in high school and he was dazzling. I guess the injury really messed him up. He never became the impact player I thought he would be.

He’s gonna be a good pro though.

Yep, we never saw the real player and I don't think you'd have seen him even if Duke was playing this weekend. I just think even more time was needed for him to come around. He was injured and missed games at two separate junctures in the season. He was starting to heat up as a long-range shooter though and that certainly helped them some. I thought maybe for that reason he might return but they draft on potential so...

Last edited:
That’s not really what I’m talking about. His personality is too different from K to continue the lockdown dominance with the media refs branding etc.
K didn't have any of that when he got to Duke either. Scheyer has been a pretty solid recruiter

Reactions: Neue Regel
Regarding Scheyer, why does Scheyer have to be K? why can’t he be Vic Bubas? They both share something in common, they’re two of only three Coaches in the ACC's 70-year History to win an ACC Championship in their first season. Bubas went on to three Final Fours in the next seven seasons following that 1960 ACC title. You ultimately have to develop your own style and be yourself and work hard. Jon had a ridiculously young team, talented but ultimately injury riddled campaign with players that missed an absurd amount of games and turned it around (when he finally had all his players for a few weeks) and did some neat things. He went 16-0 at home, had the fourth longest winning streak going into the NCAA’S in Duke history. (The 1992 team didn’t even do that and they only lost 2 games all year)

27-9 overrall despite all the injury problems. I still don’t think they beat UT with all the muscle and experience UT had (and the way that game was gonna be called) even with Mark Mitchell but it was kind of a weird microcosm of the season to find out a starter is unavailable not long before tipoff. He must have kept quiet about the knee and realized when tipoff was near that he just could not go.

It's just business as usual with Kentucky and Duke bringing in the top 2 recruiting classes. I wouldn't dare predict how he'll look 5 years from now, I didn't spend enough time on Miss Cleo's hotline back in the 90's or reading Nostradamus books to have my pulse firmly on what comes next. Also don't forget the portal (and I'm sick of the word "portal" already) that's where you can supplement your roster with some experience like everybody else does.

I have no idea on Roach other than no one thinks he's coming back. Would be pretty guard heavy if he did but a senior guard that had a really good junior year is only a positive. I think Filipowski and Lively are surely gone. Proctor was less surprising; he was supposed to be in high school this past year.

What does this even mean?

These Walmart Duke fans are just, wow.
It means that K didn't have the dominance that you mentioned as a young coach. Scheyer will probably develop a stronger personality as he gains more experience. He has recruited well enough to win some games. I don't care for Duke at all. But give the guy some credit. He did a decent job for a first year coach.

Reactions: Duke Blu
It means that K didn't have the dominance that you mentioned as a young coach. Scheyer will probably develop a stronger personality as he gains more experience. He has recruited well enough to win some games. I don't care for Duke at all. But give the guy some credit. He did a decent job for a first year coach.

Yes because coach K, a goat, started slow, that obviously means Shire’s 2 seed is going to blossom into a Great career.

He is being aided by coach K to this day with all of the perks that K left on the table. He has shown nothing to suggest he’s going to be a great coach. Nothing.

Duke guys, there’s a Duke T-shirt sale at Walmart. Get it before a gang of 14 year old Texan fans from San Antonio does and exit the board.

Fake ass bitches. Gonna love watching your program burn. Enjoy mid major status. It’s coming.

Duke guys, there’s a Duke T-shirt sale at Walmart. Get it before a gang of 14 year old Texan fans from San Antonio does and exit the board.

Fake ass bitches. Gonna love watching your program burn. Enjoy mid major status. It’s coming.

Nah, one wash and you can't wear it again it shrinks so bad. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Gromcat
Nah, one wash and you can't wear it again it shrinks so bad. LOL

They’re 10 bucks. Just grab enough for however long you think you’ll be following the team. I think it’s around an average of 7 years for most Walmart Duke fans. Which accounts for around 80%.

Reactions: Blueheart32

See, eventually it comes out. You tried to pretend your observations about Scheyer are based on some form of objectivity. There is a big difference between what you WANT or HOPE will happen and reality. The reality is that Scheyer is an outstanding recruiter, and won the ACC Championship in year 1 in spite of numerous injuries and who’s team only had 1 loss with a healthy roster. The things you referenced that K left behind are advantageous, not the other way around. But i get it.

See, eventually it comes out. You tried to pretend your observations about Scheyer are based on some form of objectivity. There is a big difference between what you WANT or HOPE will happen and reality. The reality is that Scheyer is an outstanding recruiter, and won the ACC Championship in year 1 in spite of numerous injuries and who’s team only had 1 loss with a healthy roster. The things you referenced that K left behind are advantageous, not the other way around. But i get it.

Listen, I really was 50/50 on shire. He’s smart seemed like he might have it. I’m a decent judge of this my gut usually does pretty calling these coaches. However I did recently miss Mike White.

I just don’t think at this point he’s going to be big time. That’s my observation.

Reactions: Duke Blu
They’re 10 bucks. Just grab enough for however long you think you’ll be following the team. I think it’s around an average of 7 years for most Walmart Duke fans. Which accounts for around 80%.

Well let me do the math. 1977/78 (counting on fingers) 😬🤔 ugh, a little more than 7 for me which dates me somewhat. (Btw you stole our line regarding all the Wal Mart Unc fans 😂 ).

And I really think the word “great” is almost a cliche’ it gets used so much. Scheyer could end up merely very good or maybe just good and that can still mean nice things happen. Bill Foster was not a great Coach, but he was good enough to lead a team to win the ACC a few times, make the 1978 National Championship game and in his last season defeated Kentucky (twice) en route to the elite 8 and beat Unc-Chapel Hill Branch twice. Has to be the only coach in NCAA history to defeat Kentucky and Carolina twice in the same year I would think? maybe Scheyer ends up just Bill Foster good. We loved Foster, it was upsetting when he left.

Duke/Unc played four times in 1980, there used to be something called The Big Four Tournament for any college hoops history buffs out there. Every pre-conference season in December with Duke, Wake, NC State and Unc-Chapel Hill branch. Two were matched up in the semi’s, the two winners play for the title and there was a third place game which meant the NC schools could potentially see each other four times in a season. It ended in 1981 when the schools felt that was too many times to play each other. Oddly the teams with the most Big Four trophies was Wake Forest (4), NC State (3) and Duke and Carolina just 2 each. lol. Krzyzewski’s first meeting against El Deano was in the final season of this event. A 76-78 loss.

10.00? Damn! that's double what the 40-0 shirts were selling for in Lexington in 2015!!

Duke takes a huge step back next season. The shine is about to wear off from where it was.

I cannot even tell you the last time I actually heard one of their players say “brotherhood”.

Shire doesn’t have the punch or personality to maintain all that shit.
Actually their incoming class isn’t bad. Maybe not as good as last year, which didn’t do well, but not bad.

I think Duke will be fine. He doesn't need to be like Coach K in every way. He will almost certainly continue to recruit well. His team was beginning to come together at the end of the season.
Some of that coming together was playing a weak ACC schedule.

Mgbako is a hard one to gage. At one point he could have been #1 in the class but has cooled considerably since. There is a real chance he’s closer to Whitney, Poythress type then what I initially thought which was Jonathon Kuminga like.
Didn’t Mgbako have some injuries. I think I read somewhere he has been hurt.

Didn’t Mgbako have some injuries. I think I read somewhere he has been hurt.
Sprained an ankle back in February when he shot a jumper then came down and landed on a player's foot. Didn't turn out to be anything serious that I ever heard of.

Until Scheyer starts getting K calls and getting to stay home in the NCAA he will struggle a little. I am surprised Duke didn’t protest having to travel for the tourney. Maybe they will quit going up in the ranking when they lose games!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT