ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dook's Whitehead declares

Duke takes a huge step back next season. The shine is about to wear off from where it was.

I cannot even tell you the last time I actually heard one of their players say “brotherhood”.

Shire doesn’t have the punch or personality to maintain all that shit.

Duke takes a huge step back next season. The shine is about to wear off from where it was.

I cannot even tell you the last time I actually heard one of their players say “brotherhood”.

Hope you are right but Duke had some decent guys in the Mickey game last night. Hope they lose a lot of guys.

Hope you are right but Duke had some decent guys in the Mickey game last night. Hope they lose a lot of guys.

And I never said they’d just suck, but we’ve seen this before. They might.

I just think they take a step back. Average year. I see nothing that spells danger whatsoever.

I really believe by shires 4th year the old Duke is finished. He doesn’t have the personality or the punch to continue what K had built. And that was always the concern. We don’t have to worry about that.

I too think Duke will be pretty good next year. Think they also have 5 top 30-40 guys coming in.
I'm not too sure about Flipowski declaring, he did not shoot it well (28% from 3) this year. I think he is a 1st rounder, but possibly not lottery.
Lively also is not a lock, he definitely played himself out of the lottery, and maybe even out of the 1st round.
Roach, Proctor and Mitchell are nice pieces too.
But if they do lose a couple more guys (from above), there is the portal, and playing for UK,UNC,Duke still has a draw to players (assuming the NIL$ is there for them).
And I hate to say it, but think Scheyer will actually be a good coach (unlike Davis at UNC).

Reactions: Fox2monk
I really believe by shires 4th year the old Duke is finished. He doesn’t have the personality or the punch to continue what K had built. And that was always the concern. We don’t have to worry about that.
He sort of reminds me the Sendek when he was at NC St. Good coach, but not the personality (that St fans liked from Valvano), so they ran him out of town. But I think that Scheyer was hand picked by Coach K will carry a lot of weight/leeway for Scheyer.

Reactions: Gromcat
Yeah duke should be pretty good next year. Procter coming back for them is huge, McCain, Stewart’s, mgbako are are solid, and if they get roach and flilipowski back they have to be preseason top 3

They should be better than this year at least with guys like Flip and Proctor coming back combined with their freshmen

I just think they take a step back. Average year. I see nothing that spells danger whatsoever.

I think the opposite is the case in regard to Scheyers personality. I think he relates to kids today better than the old school yelling and screaming. Kids are different now. I don’t believe the yelling and losing your mind works on them. And the guys he currently has seem to love him. I believe he will be a very solid coach for a long tine. You can already see the difference in philosophy in his coaching style

I think the opposite is the case in regard to Scheyers personality. I think he relates to kids today better than the old school yelling and screaming. Kids are different now. I don’t believe the yelling and losing your mind works on them. And the guys he currently has seem to love him. I believe he will be a very solid coach for a long tine. You can already see the difference in philosophy in his coaching style

That’s not really what I’m talking about. His personality is too different from K to continue the lockdown dominance with the media refs branding etc.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Flop ain’t coming back lol.
Word is, he is leaning hard that way. Is it expected that Flip and Mitchell join Proctor in returning. Add McCain and Foster to that, and the backcourt should be excellent. Mbako looks very solid as well, plus they are targeting a big in the portal. I know you hate them, but I think you are wrong about them going away

That’s not really what I’m talking about. His personality is too different from K to continue the lockdown dominance with the media refs branding etc.
Agree to disagree. We’ll see. I think he is closer to winning a title than fading away

Reactions: LTDukeFan
If we had Procter and Roach coming back next year I would love it. Hope Duke goes down but if they get a lot of guys return and their new player they will be tuff. I hope they go down not a fan of the “BROTHERHOOD”!!

I kinda though when Whitehead hurt his foot early it would hurt Duke. A lot of guys on here said no big deal. Hate to say it but injuries do matter and we seem to have way more than our share of injuries!!

Count me in the camp that isn’t scared of Scheyer at Duke. A first time head coach replacing a legend is a tall order.

K would’ve had half of the UT players fouled out in the NCAAT, but Scheyer isn’t going get those special calls.

I’m also curious what happens to Duke the next 5-10 years with all the conference realignment. Football is driving that bus.

I think Duke will be fine. He doesn't need to be like Coach K in every way. He will almost certainly continue to recruit well. His team was beginning to come together at the end of the season.

I think Duke will be fine. He doesn't need to be like Coach K in every way. He will almost certainly continue to recruit well. His team was beginning to come together at the end of the season.

I’m just saying there’s no way that dude is gonna continue the strangle the way K did. He doesn’t have it, he doesn’t even promote the brand the same.

And his recruiting classes are more than likely an extension of K at this point.

I don’t think they’re going to be anything special in a few years.

Hope you are right just not seeing Roach 🪳 on any draft boards. Wonder if he might go in the portal?
I don’t know for sure where he’s going, I’ve just been told he isn’t coming back. I don’t think it will be the draft. I’m guessing G-League . If it were the portal, I feel like he would have already entered. Should know soon. Also should get final word on Flip and Mitchell very soon.

Reactions: Catluv
I’m just saying there’s no way that dude is gonna continue the strangle the way K did. He doesn’t have it, he doesn’t even promote the brand the same.

And his recruiting classes are more than likely an extension of K at this point.

I don’t think they’re going to be anything special in a few years.
I had to listen to a Duke fan go on about how Scheyer was going take over the basketball world after they beat ORU. I just rolled my eyes.

I would never want a first year coach to take over at UK. Why UNC and Duke both did that is insane to me.

I had to listen to a Duke fan go on about how Scheyer was going take over the basketball world after they beat ORU. I just rolled my eyes.

I would never want a first year coach to take over at UK. Why UNC and Duke both did that is insane to me.
Especially to not have experienced assistant coaches on his staff. At least Penny was smart enough to go hire Larry Brown.

I think Duke will be OK next year, with roughly the same level of recruiting they had this year. Pretty great incoming class for them, all around. However, they aren't your bonafide stars, a lot of them being in the 10th to 25th range in ranking.

Reactions: gharding07
Word is, he is leaning hard that way. Is it expected that Flip and Mitchell join Proctor in returning. Add McCain and Foster to that, and the backcourt should be excellent. Mbako looks very solid as well, plus they are targeting a big in the portal. I know you hate them, but I think you are wrong about them going away
Mgbako is a hard one to gage. At one point he could have been #1 in the class but has cooled considerably since. There is a real chance he’s closer to Whitney, Poythress type then what I initially thought which was Jonathon Kuminga like.

I kinda though when Whitehead hurt his foot early it would hurt Duke. A lot of guys on here said no big deal. Hate to say it but injuries do matter and we seem to have way more than our share of injuries!!

Yeah I expected him to be a major star. Saw him play in high school and he was dazzling. I guess the injury really messed him up. He never became the impact player I thought he would be.

He’s gonna be a good pro though.

Reactions: Fox2monk and Catluv
I don’t know for sure where he’s going, I’ve just been told he isn’t coming back. I don’t think it will be the draft. I’m guessing G-League . If it were the portal, I feel like he would have already entered. Should know soon. Also should get final word on Flip and Mitchell very soon.
If Scheyer convinces Filipowski to stay that would be huge but if I am an opposing coach I use that against him with anyone and done recruits going forward for not encouraging him to go get the money.

He was ranked #1 by some. Anyone suggesting that wouldn't be a problem for Duke can't view Duke objectively.

Reactions: Catluv
Seems just like Wheeler for us….he was a better sport about being moved off the ball into the SG spot for the season than Wheeler. But I understand his thinking that if he ever has any chance at the NBA it’s at PG and Proctor isn’t going anywhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT