ADVERTISEMENT

OT: (Big) Trouble in (Little) Tallahassee

Sure but expect to be mocked. Fans not being ride or die are ripe for ribbing.
Truth. I don’t know why this is so hard to understand. What would you expect Coming onto a UK Football board and saying you’re a diehard YK basketball fan—but football fan of another powerhouse school? At least the annoying UT fans on here like UT in everything.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Why? I have several friends that love UK basketball but are either FSU football fans, or Other teams. Doesn’t make them bad fans or bad people. BTW they still like and cheer for U.K. football they’re just bigger football fans of different schools for various reasons. Never understood the animosity people have toward fans that like other programs. Especially when they rarely play each other

Just a pet peeve. Being around the UK b-ball and Alabama football fans makes me puke.

Florida State is less annoying (especially since I hate the gators) but it’s still an ass chapper. I guess it’s the same with Notre Dame.

I guess I could like UK basketball and cheer for UK football BUT suppose I say I LOVE Duke basketball. I’m sure that would go over well

I’m a fan of Rice University as well because I used to play with them on SNES NCAA basketball. Guess I’m not a true UK fan then...

Your arguments are not applicable to every person I am a member of cats illustrated because I care about UK sports 24/7 but I also have a lifelong affiliation to Florida state football as well as a degree so my passion for fsu football and UK basketball can coexist. I attended multiple UK football games last year bc I enjoy watching UK football. I wear my Ls down shirt around Louisville as well bc my hate for them now crosses into my football season twice. It's really not that hard to comprehend. I love UK I love fsu.

Reactions: stuway
I’m a fan of Rice University as well because I used to play with them on SNES NCAA basketball. Guess I’m not a true UK fan then...
Not the same thing. Is Rice your number 1? Would you root for Rice over uk if they met? Is Rice a powerhouse?

I’ve always liked Michigan State and UCLA in football, but I sure as hell wouldn’t root for them over UK

Your arguments are not applicable to every person I am a member of cats illustrated because I care about UK sports 24/7 but I also have a lifelong affiliation to Florida state football as well as a degree so my passion for fsu football and UK basketball can coexist. I attended multiple UK football games last year bc I enjoy watching UK football. I wear my Ls down shirt around Louisville as well bc my hate for them now crosses into my football season twice. It's really not that hard to comprehend. I love UK I love fsu.
I’ll be civil. I’ll boil it down to this one question:

If FSU and UK were to meet in a BCS bowl game, who would you root for?

I follow.....

ETSU sports
Appalachian St football
Virginia Tech football
UVA-Wise sports

.....because they usually have some Southwest Va and East TN kids on their rosters. I keep up with how they're doing, but no mistake, I bleed UK blue in all sports.

I’ll be civil. I’ll boil it down to this one question:

If FSU and UK were to meet in a BCS bowl game, who would you root for?

tenor.gif

I'm not sure you were around in 93 or not but my favorite football player of all time charlie ward lead fsu to the first natty, and in that following March UK faced fsu in the tourney and I wanted mashburn and co. To destroy that FSU team bc mashburn is one of the greatest players that I've ever watched in a UK uniform. Truth be told I didnt know UK had a football team in my childhood days. As I have gotten older I have liked UK football more than I ever have, I cant help it I never saw UK football on tv but every week fsu was on tv.

UK basketball bandwagoners are the worst. If you didnt bother to be all in on UK when football was struggling, why is it OK to just support the basketball team. Its bandwagoning, and we dont neeed you.

Is he talking about your wife or something...? Anyway, this is funny coming from same guy who makes clear his dislike of those with political opinions that differ from his own, and his own keyboard warrior track record.

False. I DO NOT talk politics and everyone has a right to their OWN opinion. CGMT must be your dad, brother, or lover, you are the ONLY one who actually sided with him. Show me one posy the poster made that was trolling or anti UK ? He simply stated that he attended FSU and was a FSU football fan. I cheered for Miami growing up in college football, and you damn sure can't question my UK fan hood in ANY sport. Once again just because YOU do not have a favorite team of another school, does not mean it is wrong for someone else to have one. And it definitely wasn't important enough for the dude to get blasted like he did. At the end of the day, it is sports fandom, you will survive no matter, I just felt ChristianNole30 caught unfair bashing for simply posting his choice.

Reactions: Christnole30
False. I DO NOT talk politics and everyone has a right to their OWN opinion. CGMT must be your dad, brother, or lover, you are the ONLY one who actually sided with him. Show me one posy the poster made that was trolling or anti UK ? He simply stated that he attended FSU and was a FSU football fan. I cheered for Miami growing up in college football, and you damn sure can't question my UK fan hood in ANY sport. Once again just because YOU do not have a favorite team of another school, does not mean it is wrong for someone else to have one. And it definitely wasn't important enough for the dude to get blasted like he did. At the end of the day, it is sports fandom, you will survive no matter, I just felt ChristianNole30 caught unfair bashing for simply posting his choice.
I’ll give Christnole props, though, for being forthcoming and honest. Being a football first fan of UK, I just simply can’t talk UK basketball with someone with that type of split loyalty. I think that’s the difference-maker.

Hell i had to put Ruppcat on ignore because he (UGA grad) admitted he would root for UGA over UK in football—but UK over UGA in basketball. To me, that’s a take I can’t stomach. Maybe basketball-first/only fans don’t have an issue with it.

I’ve worked w the occasional OSUfb/UKbball fan. Some are nice guys, but I avoid talking ANYTHING sports with them.

I've only said dual fanhood is "ripe for ribbing". Really tough language. Never said he, or you, didn't have a right to an opinion. Take your blood pressure meds and go mediate on the importance of reading comprehension outside for a bit.

I can talk UK football and UK basketball all day long because I keep up with everything related to both sports, I listen to UK podcast as well as fsu pods so I'm very informative on both schools. I'm definitely not a freaking bandwagoner like the poster said I was earlier. Seriously though I came on this board even though I usually spend my time on HOB is because I wanted to see the opinions on the fsu drama that took place last week, I wasnt trying to start any problems with anyone.

I was born in NKY and was raised most of my life (12 years) in EKY. So I grew up a UK fan for all sports. But played my college ball at Tulsa? Is it okay if I'm a Tulsa fan as well? XD

I was born in NKY and was raised most of my life (12 years) in EKY. So I grew up a UK fan for all sports. But played my college ball at Tulsa? Is it okay if I'm a Tulsa fan as well? XD
I think you’re fine.

OT, I think if one is a UKbball/Alabama fb fan, the only way they can legitimately claim both—is having played for both programs.

I can talk UK football and UK basketball all day long because I keep up with everything related to both sports, I listen to UK podcast as well as fsu pods so I'm very informative on both schools. I'm definitely not a freaking bandwagoner like the poster said I was earlier. Seriously though I came on this board even though I usually spend my time on HOB is because I wanted to see the opinions on the fsu drama that took place last week, I wasnt trying to start any problems with anyone.

The other guy hates uk basketball so he isn't a real uk fan either in one sport.

I Hereby Move that a PERMANENT, and IRREVOCABLE PASS henceforth be granted, conveyed, forwarded, extended (and not otherwise withdrawn) to the member known and recognized as “KentuckyTexan,” inasmuch that in the days of his youth and athletic prowess, he did play, perform, block (and occasionally tackle) for a program known as the un-UT, the mighty TU, a school located in the land of the Green Country, of Chicken Fried Steak, of Art-Deco buildings out the ass, and of Orel Roberts (I’m Methodist)!

Do I hear a Second??

(KentuckyTexan, you ain’t allowed to second it . . . Orel Roberts’ Rules of Order, don’t ya’ know!).

I Hereby Move that a PERMANENT, and IRREVOCABLE PASS henceforth be granted, conveyed, forwarded, extended (and not otherwise withdrawn) to the member known and recognized as “KentuckyTexan,” inasmuch that in the days of his youth and athletic prowess, he did play, perform, block (and occasionally tackle) for a program known as the un-UT, the mighty TU, a school located in the land of the Green Country, of Chicken Fried Steak, of Art-Deco buildings out the ass, and of Orel Roberts (I’m Methodist)!

Do I hear a Second??

(KentuckyTexan, you ain’t allowed to second it . . . Orel Roberts’ Rules of Order, don’t ya’ know!).
tenor.gif

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue

Do I hear a Second??

I guess I didn't get that memo! Oral Roberts just stealing the thunder in the city once again! You guys wanna talk about a TINY campus, woo wee! Sadly, I didn't know any body at ORU. I knew more people at Oklahoma than anywhere else.

Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
Sadly, I didn't know any body at ORU. I knew more people at Oklahoma than anywhere else.

Just threw him out there for my South-side Tulsa bonafides. Did you eat chicken fried steak?

There was a joint on Boston Ave. that was pretty famous that served CFS. I probably will owe my first heart attack to my time in Tulsa!

Just threw him out there for my South-side Tulsa bonafides. Did you eat chicken fried steak?

There was a joint on Boston Ave. that was pretty famous that served CFS. I probably will owe my first heart attack to my time in Tulsa!
I actually didn't. If I wasn't gorging myself on campus at the cafeteria because of the calorie counting (i was having to gain weight), I ate quite a bit, and had breakfast there quite a bit, at Brownie's on Harvard. It's an old school hamburger stand that makes its own root beer in house. It's probably THE best root beer I've ever had. I became my guilty pleasure there in town.

at Brownie's on Harvard.

I loved downtown Tulsa: second most Art Deco buildings, trailing only Boston, Mass. I worked at Oneok Plaza (pronounced One Oak) and we’d walk through town about every day.

Lots of Native American Indians. They were pretty quiet people. One stopped me in the middle of Oneok street - - like 8 lanes - - to ask if I was a preacher. I tried to be polite, but broke off before the light changed.

I had an apartment real close to the river on the south side, ‘bout a third of the way down to ORU. I used to drive down Boston with my moon roof open in the wee hours. I thought it was a cool skyline.

My Dad loaned me his Town car for the Summer I was in Tulsa. It was 5 years old, but oil had hit a peak the year it was made, so half of Tulsa’s good neighborhoods had the same damn Lincoln. So I’d drive through these hoods with sun glasses, every window and moonroof open, wearing a tie, blasting hard rock - - - shit even I didn’t like. I’d waive, and folks would give these extended looks, like they thought they knew me, but were shocked by the music. I was 24, but could pass for 35, and really had a blast down there.

Pretty cool city.

A little bit of a different world. I’d say “UT” and they’d think I was talking Texas, or “SEC,” and they thought “Securities Exchange Commission.”

I loved downtown Tulsa: second most Art Deco buildings, trailing only Boston, Mass. I worked at Oneok Plaza (pronounced One Oak) and we’d walk through town about every day.

Lots of Native American Indians. They were pretty quiet people. One stopped me in the middle of Oneok street - - like 8 lanes - - to ask if I was a preacher. I tried to be polite, but broke off before the light changed.

I had an apartment real close to the river on the south side, ‘bout a third of the way down to ORU. I used to drive down Boston with my moon roof open in the wee hours. I thought it was a cool skyline.

My Dad loaned me his Town car for the Summer I was in Tulsa. It was 5 years old, but oil had hit a peak the year it was made, so half of Tulsa’s good neighborhoods had the same damn Lincoln. So I’d drive through these hoods with sun glasses, every window and moonroof open, wearing a tie, blasting hard rock - - - shit even I didn’t like. I’d waive, and folks would give these extended looks, like they thought they knew me, but were shocked by the music. I was 24, but could pass for 35, and really had a blast down there.

Pretty cool city.

A little bit of a different world. I’d say “UT” and they’d think I was talking Texas, or “SEC,” and they thought “Securities Exchange Commission.”
Sounds like you enjoyed your time there!

I do wanna go back to Tulsa at some point, not just to see the football team again, but I want to go to the Tulsa Gun Show. Whole thing is under an 11 acre A/C'd building at the fairgrounds. It's the largest in the country if i'm not mistaken.

If any of y'all are in the Tulsa area, hit up a game. Small but VERY passionate fanbase that despises Okie St. and UCF and is used to winning. You don't stay as head coach very long at Tulsa if you can't put up wins.

I hope he don't lose his job because if he does, you know where they will come sniffing. It'll be hard to turn them down twice.

I don't know why you guys would be concerned about FSU coming after CMS. He has already turned them down at least once, why would it be more attractive today? I don't know if he would have any interest in any other job, but Iowa is his alma mater, I think them firing their coach would be a much bigger threat. The only other place would be tOSU and only because it is home.

I don't know why you guys would be concerned about FSU coming after CMS. He has already turned them down at least once, why would it be more attractive today? I don't know if he would have any interest in any other job, but Iowa is his alma mater, I think them firing their coach would be a much bigger threat. The only other place would be tOSU and only because it is home.
Exactly. Iowa is the only one I’d worry about

but I want to go to the Tulsa Gun Show.

Dude, if you ever make the drive back, stop in maybe the last town 40 miles or so before you get to Tulsa . . . I’ll try to find the name and edit . . . there’s a museum, privately owned with 40,000 guns and all kinds of cool and weird shit, like the “death masks” worn by folks put to death, etc. [Edit: Claremore, Oklahoma, home of Will Rogers and the J. M. Davis gun museum].

I spent hours there in a trip back a few years ago, and when I’d finished talked to the lady who’d sold me the ticket to get in. I told her if it was in Kentucky, we’d build a state lodge next to it and serve dinner!!

I think this is an even bigger story than FSU:

This is a Heisman candidate on a playoff caliber team. Seems like almost overnight players are discovering they have some leverage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT