ADVERTISEMENT

*Oscar CAN return to UK If he goes undrafted

I think he will be drafted. The guys projected to be taken 40-58 are mostly guys who can do some things Oscar can't, but are "dime-a-dozen guys" that you can find sign one just like them from the undrafted list. While limited in some ways, Oscar is very unique in others, a rare find. That is why he will be drafted.

But... I did find the following interesting from the article:
"This protects NBA teams and their draft picks.
*Therefore, a player can’t go back to college in an effort to raise their draft stock if they are unhappy with where they were taken."

This is what I've been saying for a long time, WHY does the NCAA protect the NBA? F*** the NBA if they don't want to do the same by protecting college basketball by implementing something similar to what MLB does (go pro if you want out of HS, but if you go to college then you can't be drafted for 2 years).

After what has seemed to be such a horrible offseason, this could be a serious flip of that.

Not sure how he fits with the team gameplan wise, but you don't say no to a former 2 time All-American

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

In all honesty I wish Oscar the best. He deserves it.

That’s wrong. You can enter the draft 3 times. If some of you guys would read the article you wouldn’t post all that false information.
yes you can but you must withdraw by the deadline
remember the NBA and the NCAA used to have a huge gap in those timelines
in Oscar's case he did not (who we are talking about)
so unless he wants to sit for an entire year and not play ball anywhere he would be ineligible to re-enter the draft
there are ways to be drafted twice but remember the NBA owns your rights for three years

i hope that clarifies it for you

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
I think he will be drafted. The guys projected to be taken 40-58 are mostly guys who can do some things Oscar can't, but are "dime-a-dozen guys" that you can find sign one just like them from the undrafted list. While limited in some ways, Oscar is very unique in others, a rare find. That is why he will be drafted.

But... I did find the following interesting from the article:
"This protects NBA teams and their draft picks.
*Therefore, a player can’t go back to college in an effort to raise their draft stock if they are unhappy with where they were taken."

This is what I've been saying for a long time, WHY does the NCAA protect the NBA? F*** the NBA if they don't want to do the same by protecting college basketball by implementing something similar to what MLB does (go pro if you want out of HS, but if you go to college then you can't be drafted for 2 years).
Yeap. The NBA doesn't even put out a good product. Nothing but a bunch of tatted up drama queens who mouth-breathe whatever their posses or agents tell them to.

yes you can but you must withdraw by the deadline
remember the NBA and the NCAA used to have a huge gap in those timelines
in Oscar's case he did not (who we are talking about)
so unless he wants to sit for an entire year and not play ball anywhere he would be ineligible to re-enter the draft
there are ways to be drafted twice but remember the NBA owns your rights for three years

i hope that clarifies it for you
That's not true. In Oscar's case, he would be out of school and not have to sit out or play somewhere else. He'd be eligible to enter the draft again.

Last edited:
I thought Livingston went to the combine, but just didnt participate in the scrimmages? I may be wrong, but would he also be eligible to return? Dont think he would consider it regardless.

he can return if not drafted (highly unlikely) but he can not enter the draft again
Yeah, personally probably not worth it. Even if he goes undrafted, he could go overseas, and then reenter the draft.
There's very little upside for Oscar coming back sadly.

Wouldn't doubt that all three don't get drafted...Oscar, Livingston, and Toppin.

Cal will probably say that it's the worst day ever in the history of Kentucky Basketball.

Doubt he returns, if undrafted, after the public pronouncement of moving on. I imagine it would be quite the blow to anyone's ego.

Reactions: Fox2monk
he can return if not drafted (highly unlikely) but he can not enter the draft again
No, he can not return even if undrafted. He must meet these conditions to return and he does not meet 2 of the conditions .

Information Regarding the 2023 National Basketball Association Draft and Combine, Agents and Workouts.

Everyone is getting confused about the rule change that undrafted players can return but it does not go into effect until the NBA CBA allows 18 year olds and keeps NBA teams from signing undrafted players until after the next college basketball season ends.

Imagine if Oscar could come back and then in January or February a NBA team signs him and he leaves UK.

NBA draft flexibility​

College basketball players who request an Undergraduate Advisory Committee evaluation, participate in the NBA combine and aren’t drafted can return to school as long as they notify their athletics director of their intent by 5 p.m. the Monday after the draft.

This change is effective if/when the NBA and NBPA make an expected rule change, which would make undrafted student-athletes who return to college after the draft ineligible for the NBA until the end of the next college basketball season.

Question No. 1: Is a student-athlete allowed to enter the NBA Draft prior to exhausting NCAA eligibility4 (i.e., NBA early entry candidate) and subsequently return to school?

Answer: YES!

A student-athlete may enter a professional basketball league’s draft without jeopardizing his collegiate eligibility, provided:

a. He requests an evaluation from the NBA’s Undergraduate Advisory Committee before entering the draft;

b. He withdraws his name from the NBA Draft not later than 10 days after the conclusion of the NBA Draft combine;

c. He declares his intention to resume intercollegiate participation not later than 10 days after the conclusion of the NBA Draft combine. This declaration must be in writing to his director of athletics
; and

d. He is not drafted by any team.5

5 Under NBA rules, an NBA team may not draft a player who withdraws his name from the NBA Draft in a timely fashion, provided such player has not previously withdrawn from the NBA Draft more than twice. If a player enters the NBA Draft for a third time as an Early Entry player, he is not permitted under NBA rules to withdraw from the Draft. Further, if he remains in the Draft and is not drafted by any team, he will be considered a free agent (eligible to sign with any NBA team at any time) under NBA rules and will not be allowed to enter another NBA Draft in the future.

Last edited:
How so?

You don't like having a 5th year senior who's averaging 20 points and 20 rebounds per game playing for your team in the postseason?

Can you please be specific? How is it best for our fans that Oscar move on?

I love Oscar but I think Cal would fall back on him like he has the past two years. I don't think with the way this team is constructed that it would be a beneficial/good style of play. Also, he is limited defensively and Cal won't play a zone so there ya go.

It is Oscar's liabilities and Cals stubbornness.

JMHO

I just don't think it would be a good fit with this roster...both mentally and style wise.

I'm not knocking the guy. He is one of my favorite Cats of all time.
I can see that, I just don’t want ugo being a 20-30 min guy, he doesn’t seem to be ready for that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT