ADVERTISEMENT

Open Practice

Agree, this could be one of the best UK defenses since I don't know when. 2008? 80's? 70's? We are gonna line up a D line with the size & talent unlike any team i can remember in the last 30 yrs. Just gotta get AQ & Dunn, the transfer guys in the secondary comfortable and contributing. I'm fully confident we will, we've done it with other newcomers so well recently.

The offense....glad we have such a manageable September! There are a lot of good pieces, just looks like it is gonna take a while for them all to gel together into an efficient unit. New QB, new #1 RB, potentially the O line all 5 starting positions diff than most of last yr! That's a lot of turnover, plus a new (returning) coordinator.

I know it is gonna kill all you 2nd string QB obsessed folks but I will be perfectly fine if Leary takes 100% of the snaps our first 3 games. To build comfort into operating a pro style system, being under center, timing with WRs, O line protection.

I saw Hogan and Wade in the second half of the scrimmage.

Wade tossed the only TD, I think.

The defense looked nasty, picking off Leary late, and living in the backfield.
Do you recall who caught the TD pass?

Comments regarding the running attack? Wide zone?
I saw only the last half of the scrimmage.

Reading the above, it sounds like only the final TD (last play of the scrimmage) and an early field goal were the only scores.

Frankly, from my perspective, it was the most dominant defensive performance I have ever seen in a scrimmage. I saw 30 or more plays, and only two went for more than 10 yards: a Wade pass and a Wade scramble.

Leary threw a beautiful spiral toward the right sideline, maybe 20 yards deep, and a tall receiver leaped for what looked like an easy catch, but a DB tipped the ball as it hit the receiver for a perfect breakup.

The only player that really stood out by performance: No. 45 on defense was in the backfield as the ball was being handed off, over-and-over, again. Well, and the whole secondary was so tight in coverage that every pass play was highly contested or quickly tackled for short completions.

In 30-35 snaps, I saw 5 or more tackles for loss, 5 or more passes broken up or picked off, 5 or more lateral passes caught a split second before the receiver was smashed for a gain of maybe two yards, and 5 or more wide runs which gained 5 or fewer yards, with backers and secondary gang tackling hard.

The only back who made a run of any significance I saw was Dee Beckwith on a nifty shake-and-bake at the LOS to go for maybe ten yards.

The consensus in the crowd I stood with was the defense just was nasty.

It was a lot like watching the Music City Bowl, last year without the two pick-sixes.

There were gusts at 40 mph, and only one attempt at a home run ball that Wade barely over threw. The wind likely caused a focus on shorter pass attempts.

Last edited:
I saw Hogan and Wade in the second half of the scrimmage.

Wade tossed the only TD, I think.

The defense looked nasty, picking off Leary late, and living in the backfield.
Living in the backfield? That doesn't sound good because our DL has struggled to get pressure on the QB for years and our OL was absolutely terrible last year. Let's hope the D is that good and Yenser is not a subpar coach.

Living in the backfield? That doesn't sound good because our DL has struggled to get pressure on the QB for years and our OL was absolutely terrible last year. Let's hope the D is that good and Yenser is not a subpar coach.
Exactly what I was wondering. I generally trust Mr. The-Hack's takes, so I hope he is right. Also, was there a threat of a running game?

If he isn't right, then it will be a long season...

Exactly what I was wondering. I generally trust Mr. The-Hack's takes, so I hope he is right. Also, was there a threat of a running game?

If he isn't right, then it will be a long season...
Hmmmm.

Defense travels!

We have to remember that our offense is going against one of the top 3 defenses in the SEC.

Heck, pull up the big Leary pass. Had the DB been any closer in front of Dane Key he would have been behind him. Just a good pass and incredible body control by Key to reel in the deep shot.

Given that I only saw the back half of the scrimmage, I assume I was watching a lot of 2nd and third stringers at all positions.

Was there along with, I’d say 1,000 to 1,500 others. One sideline was packed and a few hundred more in the end zone.

So windy it’s really tuff/unfair to judge the passing and kicking game. The wind truly was an obvious factor on mid and deep balls and FG’s. I will say Leary’s passes had zip and did vastly better cutting through the wind than the backups, but I’m certain it affected his accuracy a bit.

The inability to pass because of the wind may have made the offense more predictable for the defense. They expected the run, but to their credit shut it down emphatically. This D line could be very special.

Sheron was the 2nd QB in, then Hogan, and surprisingly to me, Wade was 3rd in. Let’s just say we better hope Leary stays healthy.

Chance Poole’s FG kicking makes me nervous.

I saw only the last half of the scrimmage.

Reading the above, it sounds like only the final TD (last play of the scrimmage) and an early field goal were the only scores.

Frankly, from my perspective, it was the most dominant defensive performance I have ever seen in a scrimmage. I saw 30 or more plays, and only two went for more than 10 yards: a Wade pass and a Wade scramble.

Leary threw a beautiful spiral toward the right sideline, maybe 20 yards deep, and a tall receiver leaped for what looked like an easy catch, but a DB tipped the ball as it hit the receiver for a perfect breakup.

The only player that really stood out by performance: No. 45 on defense was in the backfield as the ball was being handed off, over-and-over, again. Well, and the whole secondary was so tight in coverage that every pass play was highly contested or quickly tackled for short completions.

In 30-35 snaps, I saw 5 or more tackles for loss, 5 or more passes broken up or picked off, 5 or more lateral passes caught a split second before the receiver was smashed for a gain of maybe two yards, and 5 or more wide runs which gained 5 or fewer yards, with backers and secondary gang tackling hard.

The only back who made a run of any significance I saw was Dee Beckwith on a nifty shake-and-bake at the LOS to go for maybe ten yards.

The consensus in the crowd I stood with was the defense just was nasty.

It was a lot like watching the Music City Bowl, last year without the two pick-sixes.

There were gusts at 40 mph, and only one attempt at a home run ball that Wade barely over threw. The wind likely caused a focus on shorter pass attempts.
Does anyone know who number 45 is?

Hmmmm.

Defense travels!

We have to remember that our offense is going against one of the top 3 defenses in the SEC.

Heck, pull up the big Leary pass. Had the DB been any closer in front of Dane Key he would have been behind him. Just a good pass and incredible body control by Key to reel in the deep shot.

Given that I only saw the back half of the scrimmage, I assume I was watching a lot of 2nd and third stringers at all positions.
Don't take my comment the wrong way, I hope you're right.

Agree UK had a very good D last year, and D usually comes along first, but UK also had subpar OL play (and subpar QB after Levis and subpar RB after CRod). I hope the D dominates this season and O returns to 2021 form.

I'll be blunt, after Spring we need a starting quality Center & Right Tackle from the portal. Flax is the same as he has always been and Jagger God bless him is just not good enough to be a starting SEC O linemen.
I've wondered about that. Flax was clearly not the answer last year and, after 4+ years in post-HS, he's not suddenly going to 'find it'. Burton is almost assuredly an athletic guy that the staff wants to put somewhere but just hasn't consistently shown enough, imo, to be given so many chances to excel.

Could we slide Eli back over and have Buford (or someone) be the RG1?

Yeah I just don’t understand Jaggers struggles. He’s big enough and athletic so why isn’t he better? It’s really frustrating and bigger than that really important at a position of need

I read Beckwith looked good at RB and was the only one who had any success rushing today. I thought he was moved to WR ?

Yeah I just don’t understand Jaggers struggles. He’s big enough and athletic so why isn’t he better? It’s really frustrating and bigger than that really important at a position of need
If you listened to his interview the other day, the majority of his problems are in his head.

Maybe a matter of just trying too hard. Has all the physical tools but gets too amped up to properly execute the calls.

Reactions: Soupbean
I'll be blunt, after Spring we need a starting quality Center & Right Tackle from the portal. Flax is the same as he has always been and Jagger God bless him is just not good enough to be a starting SEC O linemen.
Yeah. Jager still young tho and I’m a new spot so i can understand patience with him. But flax? He has to go. He’s just not a good player

Reactions: Soupbean
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT