ADVERTISEMENT

Open Practice

I feel like he was constantly falling down last year. Bad feet/weak lower body/ bad coaching.
that could be . . . you could be a monster of an athlete but if you can move your feet you just cant play OL wihtout leverage and balance. But thats kind of what perplexes me, he looks like a more athletically gifted OL body type that would have better footwork instead of some of the lumpy awkard looking types.

His turnaround/breakout is something I'm keeping an eye on because I'd love it for him and it woudl be huge for the team as well.

Reactions: Rembrandt90
Did you think Buford was better then Flax last year?
They are two different players with different builds and levels of experience. Flax is fine as a run blocker, but not as sound as a pass blocker. Buford is the better pass blocker, but tends to blow a lot of assignments. Both got better as the season went along. But, again, I am not debating about 2022. I am talking about 2023. I don't have to decide which player will be the better player because our coaches will decide that based on what they observe in practice.

Saying a simple Dline twist from Youngstown state is overly simplistic to judge…

I did not say or imply that. I said we played GA tougher than anyone else did, and that GA's and IA's defenses tended all year to win their matchups.

.it’s ok to say Yenser stunk it up last year…..that wasn’t the 85 bears we faced …those were bad defenses and Yenser was a dear in headlights

Yenser was awful last year and we already have flax up and running first team again.

You don't like Yenser. I get that. Again, the book is still out on Yenser IMO. The first team OL has not been named. I pointed this out before. Flax has not been named as a starter. Your insistence to the contrary is not correct. And if Flax ultimately gets named as a starter, it will happen after he earns it in practice. College football teams determine their starters in practice. Always have.

I get all spots are not final until September….but when we get a depth chart post spring…..it’s a pretty good sign of where things are trending

Not when the coaching staff says multiple times in public that the competition will continue into September and possibly longer. And if another OT gets picked up during the May portal window, as speculated by multiple sources, then obviously a new stage of this competition would begin in August.

I’m going to let off the Yenser stuff until game one….but if ray Davis is averaging 3 yards a carry after we play rhr non conference teams…the season will be a wash

Well, IF the worst case scenarios happen, then the season will not go well. Everyone gets that. The purpose of coaching is to develop players and prep for games. If you don't trust our coaches, that is your prerogative. I trust Coen and White. So we disagree there. And that's the way it will be. Enough said about this.

I just listened to Coen’s press conference.

Asked what group he was most impressed with, he said, “Jagger Burton,” then mentioned Cox, Horsey and the tackle transfer.

He was actually upbeat on the O-line, saying that many of the short gains were QB’s running TB’s into “bad boxes.”
Jagger must be a heck of a "practice" player.

We have heard from multiple coaches for multiple years how good this kid is, yet it has not translated to game day, in most cases, as of yet.

I am hoping this is the years JB shows on Saturday what the coaches are seeing during the week.

Both Coen and Yenser have said very matter of factly that RT is a position that has to be earned right now. I take that to mean that Flax (or anyone) is not the starter. Yenser mentioned that all 3 of Flax, Buford and Wohlabaugh have had really good days but haven't consistently been good. He knows last year fell far short of expectations and I believe his leash is very short this year. I believe that whoever starts will be better: an improved Flax or Buford/Wohlabaugh/Hall/player to be named later will grab that position.

In general, the defense is ahead of the offense in spring especially when we look at new QB1, RB1, 3 TEs out, OL switching places again, a somewhat different system from last year. Plus, it appears our DL and the defense in general is going to be really, really good. Practicing against them can only make our offense better, imo.

Coen has been impressed watching him learn. It implies he did not start off as a learned lineman, two months, ago.
I think Coen was speaking on how fast he had learned the Center position, which he has never played before now.

We heard from most of the coaches last year, including CMS, how GREAT he was playing............in practice.

Unfortunately, it rarely translated to game day. I am pulling for this young man to succeed this year.

Reactions: The-Hack
I think Coen was speaking on how fast he had learned the Center position, which he has never played before now.

We heard from most of the coaches last year, including CMS, how GREAT he was playing............in practice.

Unfortunately, it rarely translated to game day. I am pulling for this young man to succeed this year.
Theres definitely something to Burtons ability.
I remember reading an OSU message board during the recruiting season and their coach wanted him bad. He was apparently the top o-lineman on their board.
In true OSU fan fashion they all thought they had Burton locked up and when he committed to Kentucky they were pissed.

Re Burton, biggest thing with me is he was undersized when he signed. Doubt he weighed more than 270, he's just now getting his weight where he needs to be. Then the question becomes: Does he maintain agility and gain strength? Hopefully with increased S&C time and experience he can become the player UK needs.

Both Coen and Yenser have said very matter of factly that RT is a position that has to be earned right now. I take that to mean that Flax (or anyone) is not the starter.
Coach speak.

Luckett of KSR says of practices opened to the media, & the open one for fans Flax takes virtually every 1st team right tackle snap. There is no competition as of now. Maybe the story is diff in August.

Reactions: Davae9
Coach speak.

Luckett of KSR says of practices opened to the media, & the open one for fans Flax takes virtually every 1st team right tackle snap. There is no competition as of now. Maybe the story is diff in August.
If that is coach speak, someone needs to tell Coach Stoops.

He flat out said after the scrimmage Saturday that he was going to the Portal looking for help at RT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT