ADVERTISEMENT

Only two of our players projected to get drafted

MbergCat

Senior
Nov 23, 2014
According to a shared article on KSR, only Diallo and Richards are projected to go in the entire draft. Don't get me wrong, I would salivate at the thought of returning guys like Washington, Knox, and Vanderbilt. But seriously?

I would think that Knox & Washington are locks for next year's draft as well. Vando is a guy the probably could and would go barring any injuries this season. But he could possibly be another Terrence Jones/Doron Lamb guy who is on the fringe, comes back and helps lead a really talented team to a potential title run.

Reactions: MbergCat
According to a shared article on KSR, only Diallo and Richards are projected to go in the entire draft. Don't get me wrong, I would salivate at the thought of returning guys like Washington, Knox, and Vanderbilt. But seriously?
Most expect this class to have several holdovers to be important sophs. I do too.

I would think that Knox & Washington are locks for next year's draft as well. Vando is a guy the probably could and would go barring any injuries this season. But he could possibly be another Terrence Jones/Doron Lamb guy who is on the fringe, comes back and helps lead a really talented team to a potential title run.
I think PJ is a bigger possibility to return than Vanderbilt...his tweener size might bring him back. If Vandy demonstrates any ability whatsoever to hit an open jumpshot he'll go lottery, imo.

Of course, all this conjecture is based on watching them in a couple of all star settings and in a few highlight clips, so I give my opinion w/ a grain of salt, which is how it should be taken.

If only two of our guys enter the draft after this season, Kentucky did not have a good year. I would LOVE if we had a bunch of guys bring experience to next years team, but not if it means having a bad season this year. We can still have a decent amount of guys go and return some good talent for next season.

Knox, to me, is a huge game changer. I would think he would have to have a VERY mediocre season to not get drafted.

Reactions: Jazzycat
NBAdraft.net has...

Richards at 10
Vanderbilt at 11
Knox at 15
Diallo at 27
Washington at 34
It is ESPN's latest mock draft that I'm talking about. But the one you posted seems far more realistic.

It is ESPN's latest mock draft that I'm talking about. But the one you posted seems far more realistic.
Yeah. Not sure where ESPN is getting their info, but no way we don't have multiple (3-4) players drafted in the first round.

Diallo not being projected higher doesn't make sense to me. Even if his jumper is suspect, wouldn't he still be a Derozan type prospect?

NBAdraft.net has...

Richards at 10
Vanderbilt at 11
Knox at 15
Diallo at 27
Washington at 34
Diallo at 27 is crazy. He would basically have to be a 20% three point shooter to be drafted that low.

I expect Diallo and Knox to be top 10, Vanderbilt will be 1st round if he comes out.

Diallo at 27 is crazy. He would basically have to be a 20% three point shooter to be drafted that low.

I expect Diallo and Knox to be top 10, Vanderbilt will be 1st round if he comes out.

Some people thought Diallo might go 27 in this year's draft...a much stronger draft, and with him not having a year to progress and work on his game.

There are only 2 things that could hold Diallo back from being top 10- shooting and ball handling. IMO he could shoot 20% from 3 and still be a lotto pick, as long as he shows he can handle the ball and get to the rim with ease and/or create a shot.

I think Knox, Richards, Diallo, Vanderbilt, & Washington could all be possible 1st rounders.

Gabriel will be if he has a big year.

Just saw a link on Facebook where jr Smith said Diallo was a top 5 pick after playing with him. Probably doesn't mean much, but still.

If only Richards and Diallo leave Kentucky after this year, with the freshman Cal will sign, it'd be the first time in my life I felt confident saying "Just cancel the season and mail the trophy to Lexington." But that will not happen.
Could you imagine keeping all those guys around for another year and possibly adding Williamson, Barrett/Reddish, and Quickley? Yikes.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
You have to remember this is ESPN that has an ACC love feast. Plus no one has played a college game yet. They are guessing just like the rest of us.

This will be a very talented UK team, but lacking in the real lottery type guys. That wouldn't surprise me, and really I'm looking more to next year than this thinking that a number of very talented players will return for a 2nd season. OTOH I wouldn't be shocked if we end up losing 4-5 to the NBA. A lot will probably depend on how the team, and those player's season's go. Still I can't help but remember Skal. A bust, and still a first round pick.

I guarantee more than 2 players get drafted from UK. Maybe the writer is trying to scare off recruits

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I'm going to go out on a bit of a big blue limb and predict the following:

Knox
Diallo
Vanderbilt
Washington
Richards

All go 1st. Rd.

IMO

Diallo
Knox
Washington
Gabriel/Vanderbilt

Are gone. I give Richards a possibility but I'm not sure if he'll have enough offense to make the case for leaving.

Knox and Diallo are gone, IMHO.

Gabriel leaves, regardless of draft position.

Two of Washington, Vanderbilt, and Richards leave.

Green, Baker, Gigeous-Alexander, Killeya-Jones, and Wynyard return.

We add four players:

Quickley
Barrett, Reddish, or Williamson
Shittu
King

In the end, we probably end up with something like this:

Starters

G Green
G Quickley
F Barrett, Reddish, or Williamson
F Shittu
F Washington, Vanderbilt, or Richards

Bench

G Gilgeous-Alexander
G Baker
F King
F Killeya-Jones
F Wynyard

Reactions: Jazzycat
Most expect this class to have several holdovers to be important sophs. I do too.
No way. They gone. The last 8 years has been the proof EXCEPT one year we returned a few good players and won it all.

I dont see any NBA lockout happening anytime soon.

No way. They gone. The last 8 years has been the proof EXCEPT one year we returned a few good players and won it all.

I dont see any NBA lockout happening anytime soon.

2011- Miller and Liggins back.

2012- Jones, Lamb, and Miller back.

2013- Wiltjer back.

2014- Poythress and WCS back.

2015- Twins, WCS, Johnson, Lee, and Poythress back.

2016- Ulis, Poythress, and Lee back.

2017- Briscoe, Willis, Hawkins, Mulder, and Humphries back.

2018- Gabriel and SKJ back.

We get guys back more than we like to admit.

But if you are expecting lottery picks to come back it's not happening. Cal won't let that happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT