ADVERTISEMENT

Only post here if …

FED14-AF6-C1-C2-4795-887-E-8-F81-E47-DE9-A5.jpg

“And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.”

‭‭Philippians‬ ‭1‬:‭9‬-‭11‬ ‭ESV‬‬

How Great Thou Art...

“Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name! Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. The Lord works righteousness and justice for all who are oppressed. He made known his ways to Moses, his acts to the people of Israel. The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. He will not always chide, nor will he keep his anger forever. He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us. As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him. For he knows our frame; he remembers that we are dust. As for man, his days are like grass; he flourishes like a flower of the field; for the wind passes over it, and it is gone, and its place knows it no more. But the steadfast love of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear him, and his righteousness to children’s children, to those who keep his covenant and remember to do his commandments. The Lord has established his throne in the heavens, and his kingdom rules over all. Bless the Lord, O you his angels, you mighty ones who do his word, obeying the voice of his word! Bless the Lord, all his hosts, his ministers, who do his will! Bless the Lord, all his works, in all places of his dominion. Bless the Lord, O my soul!”

‭‭Psalm‬ ‭103‬:‭1‬-‭22‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Reactions: warrior-cat
“Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.”
‭‭James‬ ‭5‬:‭16‬ ‭ESV‬‬

By grace alone:

“For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written, “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the discernment of the discerning I will thwart.” Where is the one who is wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe. For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles, but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.”

‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭1‬:‭18‬-‭25‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Romans 7:15-25
This is me in a nutshell. I struggle with the meaning of this chapter and these verses daily. Paul was such a great communicator. I'd imagine in Heaven there will be a long line to see Paul.

“Thus says the Lord: “Stand by the roads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is; and walk in it, and find rest for your souls. But they said, ‘We will not walk in it.’”

‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭6‬:‭16‬ ‭ESV‬‬

H. G. Wells “I am not a believer, but I must confess as a historian that this penniless preacher from Nazareth is irrevocably the most dominant figure in all history.”

“Now before the Feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart out of this world to the Father, having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end.”

‭‭John‬ ‭13‬:‭1‬ ‭ESV‬‬

“Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the heart.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭21‬:‭2‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Never shared this before, but the strongest "proof" I've seen in my lifetime for the redemptive power of accepting Christ into your life is; my father.
For the first 14 years of my life, my Dad was a bigoted, and abusive monster. We were forced to go to church, and I grew up, in those first 14 years of my life, believing that swift, devastating physical and emotional punishment was what Christianity was about. IOW - I thought that was the Christian way. And I detested/rejected it.
The Summer of my 14th year, my Dad heard a minister give a guest sermon at our regular church. This minister was starting a new Methodist church in Lexington, and various Methodists churches were allowing him to speak to their congregations. My father was so moved by this man's words that, (quoting my father here_, "I realized my entire life had been spent under the illusion that I was a Christian, and it hit my like a ton of bricks that I didn't even know what a Christ filled life was."

We left our previous church and joined this one. For a long time it met in a business that one of the fledgling members owned. And had a tiny congregation of families that had decided to build this together.
I watched my father confess his sins, get Baptized, and publicly accept Christ as his Lord and Savior.

I was unimpressed, and thought, well I've heard various versions of this before, and went to this church because I really had no choice.
From the time my father stood up in front of his family, the church, and the congregation and did as I described earlier, a change in him so profound occurred that I didn't believe it. My father wasn't the same person. But as a kid that had suffered under his "regime" it was hard for me to accept, and I though sooner or later, the old Dad would resurface. That was 46 years ago, and it never did.
I spent most of my life, even after that, as an atheist, and I got into trouble almost constantly, but the way my father handled it was vastly different. It took me a LONG time to come around, but eventually I did, and to this day, the change in my father is probably the cornerstone of my faith.
I'm not going to go into detail about the pre-Christian version of my father, as compared to the Christian version, but it was dramatic enough that here, all of these years later, I'm still amazed by it.

“And when you saw that Nahash the king of the Ammonites came against you, you said to me, ‘No, but a king shall reign over us,’ when the Lord your God was your king. And now behold the king whom you have chosen, for whom you have asked; behold, the Lord has set a king over you. If you will fear the Lord and serve him and obey his voice and not rebel against the commandment of the Lord, and if both you and the king who reigns over you will follow the Lord your God, it will be well. But if you will not obey the voice of the Lord, but rebel against the commandment of the Lord, then the hand of the Lord will be against you and your king.”

‭‭1 Samuel‬ ‭12‬:‭12‬-‭15‬ ‭ESV‬‬

“Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. To him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen.”

‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭5‬:‭6‬-‭11‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Sad to hear Tim Keller died today. I have enjoyed his teachings and books over the past 25 years or so since becoming a Christian.

“He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.””
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭21‬:‭4‬ ‭ESV‬‬

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT