ADVERTISEMENT

One of the main points for losses not mentioned enough.

(insert confused look)
Reeves had "clean" open looks all game long. He simply missed them.
I like Reeves. He is a volume-shooter, for sure, but will have off-nights. I think his height hurts him on the defensive end, as he is usually guarding a smaller player and he has defensive limitations. His defensive movements strike me as hopping, versus gliding. He moves better with the ball in his hands on offense, it seems to me. Hopefully, he will get acclimated to the bigger stage and regain his shooting touch against the better opponents. He simply has to, along with CJ. They will be given the opportunity to excel shooting the basketball ... just do it !!

If you guys can bear through watching last nights shitshow again, I'll point out some things that you can skip too.
14:31, We literally run a very nice play out of a timeout to get Frederick wide open in the corner, he air balls it
15:58, Livingston wide open, misses.
31:29, Open pull up for CJ, misses it
37:11, Reeves missing a wide open catch and shoot
59:49, Toppin wide open in corner, misses
1:03:20, Nice DHO to Wallace for an open 3, makes it
Open looks are being made, and plays and at least somewhat of a system are in place to get them. To deny that is to just deny reality and your own eyes. Now did Cal just miss on evaluations and these guys just arent as good as he and we thought they were? Maybe, and that is on him, but the looks are there, we just arent hitting right now.

Reactions: megablue
No offense, but if you tell me you didn't watch half the game, I kind of dismiss your response. Our guys had plenty of open looks, many off set plays, and didn't make them.

And the fact that other teams are getting plenty of clean looks against us speaks to our porous defense, not so much the "brilliance" of their offensive sets...everybody wants to talk about our offense, but our defense was abysmal and is what put us behind the eight ball from the outset of the game.
No offense taken. 100% valid.

If you guys can bear through watching last nights shitshow again, I'll point out some things that you can skip too.
14:31, We literally run a very nice play out of a timeout to get Frederick wide open in the corner, he air balls it
15:58, Livingston wide open, misses.
31:29, Open pull up for CJ, misses it
37:11, Reeves missing a wide open catch and shoot
59:49, Toppin wide open in corner, misses
1:03:20, Nice DHO to Wallace for an open 3, makes it
Open looks are being made, and plays and at least somewhat of a system are in place to get them. To deny that is to just deny reality and your own eyes. Now did Cal just miss on evaluations and these guys just arent as good as he and we thought they were? Maybe, and that is on him, but the looks are there, we just arent hitting right now.
I watched the game. Good points on the shooting woes, but what really stands out is our remarkably poor defense. Geez ...

Reactions: BigCat241
We have many known shooters struggle under Cal and it’s because of Lack of rhythm. Great shooting comes from a good rhythmic offense. We have an easier time in getting a good rhythm going against vastly inferior opponents but against better competition it’s total chaos and it shows in the shooting percentages. We were at 18% at one point late in the first half last night (not sure how the half ended) and 0-10 from 3 for the entire first half.
Meh, 1st true road gm v very good team and very good defensive team.

Came out in 2nd half and scorched the nylon.

We will be fine.

Cal is that you? Put another 6’8 PF on the floor with that statement.

One of the new aspects of the recent group is that many of them are far skinnier than the teams from the past. And next year's recruits are even thinner. (I think I outweigh all but one of them.) People mock Calipari, but from from around 1980 onward, muscle and bulk has won most of the time.

Brandon Knight goes cold. Kyle Wiltjer goes cold. Jamaal Murray goes cold. Herro goes cold. Grady goes cold.

You really think all of that is on the players?
Nobody said it was but coming from a player's mindset like myself. They can't shoot them all for you. Also those dudes showed who they were first before going cold. And nobody said all those dudes went cold. Y'all love to say and repeat whatever to fit your narrative.

Guys it’s simple, we don’t run sets to get CJ or Reeves open. There’s a reason why the one hood look CJ got from 3 was a loose ball and he hit that one.

If you just stick a defender on CJ he’s not going to move from his spot all possession. So when wheeler drives into the paint with no where to go he can’t kick it out bc CJ man won’t help off.
There were plays and sets open. Y'all want them to be used as #1 options.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT