ADVERTISEMENT

One of the main points for losses not mentioned enough.

EastCoastYoungCat

Sophomore
Gold Member
Apr 29, 2020
CJ/Reeves against Mich. St.:
3/14 fg% 2/10 3pt%
CJ/Reeves against Gonzaga:
5/22 fg% 3/13 3pt%

This isn't even going into the film and seeing the COUNTLESS defensive lapses or being beat off the dribble. Gotta at least be trade off for buccets. FWIW when I go bacc I see cal call elementary plays for the shooters to get open BUT they were open. They just MISSED.

I do fault Cal for tinkering with lineups in big games early, gotta know it's going cost you. Even in postgame he stated he cut the lineup because he was just trying to get out with a win but then guys committed multiple mistakes bacc to bacc. He should've had that mindset from the beginning. Also mentioned playing shooters with Oscar playing baseline may be a way to play..duh. That should've been an option from the beginning as well. But we shall see.

Reactions: jjsomer
We have many known shooters struggle under Cal and it’s because of Lack of rhythm. Great shooting comes from a good rhythmic offense. We have an easier time in getting a good rhythm going against vastly inferior opponents but against better competition it’s total chaos and it shows in the shooting percentages. We were at 18% at one point late in the first half last night (not sure how the half ended) and 0-10 from 3 for the entire first half.

We have many known shooters struggle under Cal and it’s because of Lack of rhythm. Great shooting comes from a good rhythmic offense. We have an easier time in getting a good rhythm going against vastly inferior opponents but against better competition it’s total chaos and it shows in the shooting percentages. We were at 18% at one point late in the first half last night (not sure how the half ended) and 0-10 from 3 for the entire first half.
I will take all the hits on this one....but this isn't true IMO.

- Lamb,
- Monk
- Murray
- Grady
- Quickley
- Herro was the main one who sort of didn't live up to shooter reputation (but he was way better at other aspects of the game).
- TyTy....he was not very good shooter from deep...but I always thought he should have been PG more than SG

As far as CJ goes...I know he's feasting on scrubs but he is shooting 35% 3pt. Not terrible but for sure he needs to shoot it better vs. good teams.

Brandon Knight goes cold. Kyle Wiltjer goes cold. Jamaal Murray goes cold. Herro goes cold. Grady goes cold.

You really think all of that is on the players?
Definitely not all in the players but in this forum a guy could go 0 for 50 and the shameless cry here would be “Cal ruined him”.

Guys it’s simple, we don’t run sets to get CJ or Reeves open. There’s a reason why the one hood look CJ got from 3 was a loose ball and he hit that one.

If you just stick a defender on CJ he’s not going to move from his spot all possession. So when wheeler drives into the paint with no where to go he can’t kick it out bc CJ man won’t help off.

when you take a shooters confidence, you have ruined him

Especially when they miss point blank layups. Layups are on the coach as well, as is making their dorm room beds and wiping their tails properly.

I am not a Cal fan(as everyone knows) but to be fair Oscar and Wallace were the only 2 players who didn't play scared for about half the game last night. Toppin finally came to his senses but he was about the only one.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I wound argue the only 3’s either one of those guys made was when they just shot it without thinking (end of shot clock or off a scramble). That tells me they are still thinking too much and not just playing. That takes time. Neither have been on a stage this big and it’s just taking them time to adjust. I don’t like losing but also not panicking as this team has the pieces tj be really good.

BUT they were open. They just MISSED.
It's early but one has to wonder if they can thrive at this level against high D-1 comp.
Reeves is a mid-major.
Fredrick didn't even get a sniff from UK coming out of hs.
I have my fingers crossed that they do adapt because I sure as hell don't want to go thru a junkie 13-15 loss season.

Brandon Knight goes cold. Kyle Wiltjer goes cold. Jamaal Murray goes cold. Herro goes cold. Grady goes cold.

You really think all of that is on the players?
Do you really think guys missing shots they usually and should make is on the Coach? Seriously!!

But the OP is right, in both those games if either, not both, but either of those guys make shots; not goes off, but just what an expected average night should be, WE WIN vs MSU and are in a position to win a close one last night.

Cal throwing shit against the wall...same as it ever was...

few-cal.png

It's early but one has to wonder if they can thrive at this level against high D-1 comp.
Reeves is a mid-major.
I have my fingers crossed that they do adapt because I sure as hell don't want to go thru a junkie 13-15 loss season.
There have been mid-majors that any college team would love to have (Curry & Morant & more), so just because he was a mid-major does not mean he can't play.
As for Fredrick, he made 46% of his 3's over 2 seasons vs Big 5 conference teams. And lots of guys perform better in college than projected (how about the 2 big dogs last night, Timme & Oscar), so just because we did not want him 5-6 years ago does not mean he can't play at our level now.

SMH!!!

Reactions: kelzer
I will take all the hits on this one....but this isn't true IMO.

- Lamb,
- Monk
- Murray
- Grady
- Quickley
- Herro was the main one who sort of didn't live up to shooter reputation (but he was way better at other aspects of the game).
- TyTy....he was not very good shooter from deep...but I always thought he should have been PG more than SG

As far as CJ goes...I know he's feasting on scrubs but he is shooting 35% 3pt. Not terrible but for sure he needs to shoot it better vs. good teams.
There can certainly be exceptions as some guys are just better at getting their own shots and developing their own rhythm. Murray and Monk certainly come to mind on that end. Lamb was the worst of the bunch at creating his own but he didn’t really have too. We had better personnel here during his stay and he was a tremendous spot up shooter and played his role well. Just looking at this years team with CJ and Reeves . CJ is 9-19 against our cakes and 2-12 against our two legit teams. Reeves 13-25 against the cakes, 3-10 otherwise.

Guys it’s simple, we don’t run sets to get CJ or Reeves open. There’s a reason why the one hood look CJ got from 3 was a loose ball and he hit that one.

If you just stick a defender on CJ he’s not going to move from his spot all possession. So when wheeler drives into the paint with no where to go he can’t kick it out bc CJ man won’t help off.
Reeves was open all game last night lol.

Reactions: JonathanW
CJ/Reeves against Mich. St.:
3/14 fg% 2/10 3pt%
CJ/Reeves against Gonzaga:
5/22 fg% 3/13 3pt%

This isn't even going into the film and seeing the COUNTLESS defensive lapses or being beat off the dribble. Gotta at least be trade off for buccets. FWIW when I go bacc I see cal call elementary plays for the shooters to get open BUT they were open. They just MISSED.

I do fault Cal for tinkering with lineups in big games early, gotta know it's going cost you. Even in postgame he stated he cut the lineup because he was just trying to get out with a win but then guys committed multiple mistakes bacc to bacc. He should've had that mindset from the beginning. Also mentioned playing shooters with Oscar playing baseline may be a way to play..duh. That should've been an option from the beginning as well. But we shall see.
It all goes back to Cals offense not being able to get clean looks.

Reeves is a mid-major.
I don't think Cal can win with portal players.
Oscar was unique in that he was a former McD's AA with a UK offer out of HS.
Begining to think he can't win regardless.
Next years #1 class still doesnt have the generational talent of a Wall,Cuz, or Davis and may not quite be zt the level of Murray, Monk, Fox, or Townes.
I dont tjink they are good enough to overcome bad coaching and still win big.

Sometimes I don't think a lot of you guys are watching the same game as I am. Listen, I will fully admit that I think it is time for UK to let Cal go, it is just time.

However, there were plenty of plays ran to get CJ and Reeves looks. The first one that comes to mind was in the first half out of a timeout where we ran a nice pick play to get CJ an open look for 3 in the corner. The dude airballed it. Reeves had 2 open threes in second half off of set plays, and missed both of them. At some point players need to make plays.

Doron Lamb had no problem hitting 3s in big moments. Aaron Harrison had no problem hitting 3s in big moments. Quickly had no problem hitting 3s in crucial moments in regular season (would have loved to see him in tournament). Monk had no problem hitting big 3s in crucial moments.

Sometimes it is on the player, can't just always blame the coach.

Anyone remember when Wheeler and TyTy were hurt and Grady got a lot of run with DM, and after Wheeler and TyTy were set to return, Grady said this….”I guess I’ll just go back to standing in my corner?”

Grady said this publicly. May not be exact working, but this was the statement.

That is why shooters can’t shoot here. When they leave, they can miraculously shoot again.

Cal offense denies shooters the opportunity to do what they do.

Kellen Grady told us so. He wasn’t lying.

Sometimes I don't think a lot of you guys are watching the same game as I am. Listen, I will fully admit that I think it is time for UK to let Cal go, it is just time.

However, there were plenty of plays ran to get CJ and Reeves looks. The first one that comes to mind was in the first half out of a timeout where we ran a nice pick play to get CJ an open look for 3 in the corner. The dude airballed it. Reeves had 2 open threes in second half off of set plays, and missed both of them. At some point players need to make plays.

Doron Lamb had no problem hitting 3s in big moments. Aaron Harrison had no problem hitting 3s in big moments. Quickly had no problem hitting 3s in crucial moments in regular season (would have loved to see him in tournament). Monk had no problem hitting big 3s in crucial moments.

Sometimes it is on the player, can't just always blame the coach.
They got shots but they were rushed shots. The amount of time they have to get a clean look is typically much lower than other teams. There may have been a couple exceptions last night.

Do you really think guys missing shots they usually and should make is on the Coach? Seriously!!

But the OP is right, in both those games if either, not both, but either of those guys make shots; not goes off, but just what an expected average night should be, WE WIN vs MSU and are in a position to win a close one last night.
Yes.

They got shots but they were rushed shots. The amount of time they have to get a clean look is typically much lower than other teams. There may have been a couple exceptions last night.
I watch MSU and Gonzaga run plays that get clean open looks from shooters. I don’t see that with our offense. Not sure what other poster was talking about? I saw couple of plays that game them a little better look, but not a clean open look. I didn’t see it. Of course, I stopped watching the game before half time, and then only watched a minute or two of second half before I had enough. Sucks that that is where I am. And no one tell me I’m not a real fan. I love and breath Kentucky basketball. That’s why i can’t physically take it to watch such a disgusting display. Sorry. Is what it is.

I watch MSU and Gonzaga run plays that get clean open looks from shooters. I don’t see that with our offense. Not sure what other poster was talking about? I saw couple of plays that game them a little better look, but not a clean open look. I didn’t see it. Of course, I stopped watching the game before half time, and then only watched a minute or two of second half before I had enough. Sucks that that is where I am. And no one tell me I’m not a real fan. I love and breath Kentucky basketball. That’s why i can’t physically take it to watch such a disgusting display. Sorry. Is what it is.
No offense, but if you tell me you didn't watch half the game, I kind of dismiss your response. Our guys had plenty of open looks, many off set plays, and didn't make them.

And the fact that other teams are getting plenty of clean looks against us speaks to our porous defense, not so much the "brilliance" of their offensive sets...everybody wants to talk about our offense, but our defense was abysmal and is what put us behind the eight ball from the outset of the game.

Yup. Every shooter in history goes cold. That’s why nothing on the basketball floor is more important than DEFENSE!!!!!!!!
Cal is that you? Put another 6’8 PF on the floor with that statement.

Yes, shooting is streaky by nature but what we have experienced isn’t just streaky shooting. All those guys who were known shooters struggled here for half a season or more.

Yup. Every shooter in history goes cold. That’s why nothing on the basketball floor is more important than DEFENSE!!!!!!!!
This is absolutely correct. Anyone who's ever played or coached knows this.
You cannot always shoot well, but you should be able to always rebound and play defense ... if you have talent and heart. This is why a player like Winston Bennett (for example) RARELY has what you'd call a bad game. You can play so damn hard that is difficult to have an overall bad game, even with really bad shooting. Pure effort can usually allow you to be a net benefit on the floor.

A few players who quickly come to mind are: Dale Brown, Anthony Epps, Davion Mintz, Michael Kidd-Gilchrest, Anthony Davis, Chuck Hayes, Kenny Walker, Winston Bennett, Tyler Ulis, Oscar, etc ...
Not 100% sure, but I think Thiero might well be that kind of player ... Wallace, too.

Last edited:
There can certainly be exceptions as some guys are just better at getting their own shots and developing their own rhythm. Murray and Monk certainly come to mind on that end. Lamb was the worst of the bunch at creating his own but he didn’t really have too. We had better personnel here during his stay and he was a tremendous spot up shooter and played his role well. Just looking at this years team with CJ and Reeves . CJ is 9-19 against our cakes and 2-12 against our two legit teams. Reeves 13-25 against the cakes, 3-10 otherwise.
Good teams, with good athletes, can take away shooting from people who struggle to create off the bounce. Fredrick is unusually weak off the dribble, but Reeves can create a little bit ... he is just a tad too phrenetic, it seems to me.

This is absolutely correct. Anyone who's ever played or coached knows this.
You cannot always shoot well, but you should be able to always rebound and play defense ... if you have talent and heart. This is why a player like Winston Bennett (for example, RARELY has what you'd call a bad game. You can play so damn hard that is difficult to have an overall bad game, even with really bad shooting. Pure effort can usually allow you to be a net benefit on the floor.

A few players who quickly come to mind are: Dale Brown, Anthony Epps, Davion Mintz, Michael Kidd-Gilchrest, Anthony Davis, Chuck Hayes, Kenny Walker, Winston Bennett, Tyler Ulis, Oscar, etc ...
Not 100% sure, but I think Thiero might well be that kind of player ... Wallace, too.
Chuck Hayes. And really Oscar are the pinnacle for players like this.

Reactions: megablue
Chuck Hayes. And really Oscar are the pinnacle for players like this.
Players simple HAVE to have that type of mentality. They are your real warriors. It's not always going to be easy. Another player who comes to mind who played for Louisville was Ron Thomas (aka "The Plumber"). I have so much respect for players like him.

Last edited:
Cal is that you? Put another 6’8 PF on the floor with that statement.

Yes, shooting is streaky by nature but what we have experienced isn’t just streaky shooting. All those guys who were known shooters struggled here for half a season or more.
Another church leaguer boys.

Still gotta ride with CJ and Reeves if we are going to be any good. They have to keep shooting and get used to playing for UK. Step up for both. CJ has been out 2 years and AR coming from a lesser stage. Keep firing and it will slow down and they will be able to relax. Those 2 care a lot so blend that in with time. Don’t give up on them.

Cal play some zone with those 2 in together. Wake up! You’re like a MLB pitcher with just a fastball

A zone last night takes the Timme drive out as well as the other straight line drives! Make Few have to change his offense. Keeps Oscar out of foul trouble. Makes them think and slow down to adjust to you.

Cal- drop the arrogance and ego and utilize those good assistants. Assign inbounds offense and zone defense to one. Delegate!!! Use coordinators!

Put some of your old half court U Mass offense in. Watched it and it had a ton of structure and movement plus physical screening. Actually saw them scoring on inbounds plays!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: kelzer and megablue
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT