ADVERTISEMENT

Oliver Anthony > Tyler Childers

uh huh. so what’s the title for this thread you’re talking about
My point still stands. 95% of talk I see about this guy is accompanied by Tyler Childers name.

Let the guy have his success without having to compare him to another.

But the reality is, people are grabbing ahold of Oliver Anthony because they are still angry that Tyler would dare to go against their views. 6 months to a year from now(maybe sooner), you aren’t going to hear Oliver Anthony’s name anymore. But Tyler will still be selling out arenas.

How many #1 has Tyler had? This coming from someone with 10+ Childers song on regular rotation. If going by pure name recognition wouldn’t having a #1 > selling out rupp?
I mean it's cool to go viral and have a #1 song, but I'd prefer the selling out arenas everywhere I go type of career. Popularity is relative though and in three weeks Oliver could just be another guy who had a song go viral that we never hear from again.

Reactions: chroix
Lefty’s are so butt hurt by this song. Imagine sticking up from the exact corrupt politicians Oliver is calling out. They’ll do the same thing with Andy in November haha

Why do you listen to music in the first place?
He's not good no matter the lyrical content, which in this case is super simplictic.
You could just listen to Clay Travis everyday if you were just a fan of the rhetoric.
This is interesting to me. I've watched about 15 videos on youtube of different people reviewing his performance of this song, and the reviews seem to be different based upon the race/socioeconomic place of the reviewer. Some liberal type reviewers react to it well saying that it says that the government is just keeping poor people down. Some conservative type reviewers react to it well saying that it is criticizing liberals that are just milking the system. It is a catchy, witty tune given the title and the comment about Epstein Island. I like it and am glad that people can enjoy it from both sides, despite the fact that both sides disagree on what the actual message is. That is what makes for good art.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Tyler is one of one and no one is worth comparing to him. I like this song and the message. The fudge round lyric is goofy as hell though an not because of the message, he's right, there are too many people mooching off of welfare. But who the hell wants to hear about fudge rounds in a song with a serious tone like this? Imagine if in Whiskey Lullaby they started singing about cosmic brownies.

Hard to hate on a guy who just loves him a good ol’ woman, his dogs, his weed, and the country. What’s wrong with that? Sounds like a helluva life to me!

Reactions: ryanbruner
Food stamps should only be for certain foods. Fudge rounds shouldn’t be on that list.
That's a great point but its also low hanging fruit. Next time I'd rather he hit harder topics. Like why do food stamps require you to get 2% milk. Liberal sissies trying to force their fudge rounds and 2% milk on us. Beta male bullshit.

How many #1 has Tyler had? This coming from someone with 10+ Childers song on regular rotation. If going by pure name recognition wouldn’t having a #1 > selling out rupp?

Lots of one hit wonders have a number 1 song. Let’s see if he can get the second number 1 and release multiple consecutive good full albums. I can’t be that judge because this isn’t my style of music.

Other household names such as D4L, Soulja Boy, Daniel Powter and Mims had number 1 hits as well.

I can get on board with this. Still not down with the government made me eat Twinkie’s BS but a screw em all approach… I can get behind that.

Reactions: DanCat17
His newest single is even better imo. Listened to several of his songs and they're all at least pretty good.

Jmo but I don't get the need to compare. I guess it's a similar vocal style but otherwise no similarities.

Reactions: chroix
Food stamps should only be for certain foods. Fudge rounds shouldn’t be on that list.
We both know how that stuff works in small towns/counties, those people aren’t buying apples that’s for sure.

It SHOULD have only healthy stuff you can buy.

Ol boys song just popped onto my Spotify a minute ago while finishing Zach Bryan’s new album. I can’t say I wasn’t happy as a clam that kid is getting some money even if it’s not much.

I really hope he can keep it up.

His top 5 songs have at least a million listens each just on Spotify for over 33 million spins. Good for him.

Can’t imagine ANYONE being against a poor kid from EKY singing about how politicians are stealing money from us all and exploiting us all for their gain.

Who’s for that^?

Last edited:
It SHOULD have only healthy stuff you can buy.

Ol boys song just popped onto my Spotify a minute ago while finishing Zach Bryan’s new album. I can’t say I wasn’t happy as a clam that kid is getting some money even if it’s not much.

I really hope he can keep it up.
40k a week on streaming right now. I’m thrilled for him

That's a great point but its also low hanging fruit. Next time I'd rather he hit harder topics. Like why do food stamps require you to get 2% milk. Liberal sissies trying to force their fudge rounds and 2% milk on us. Beta male bullshit.
They don’t?

His top 5 songs have at least a million listens each just on Spotify for over 33 million spins. Good for him.

Can’t imagine ANYONE being against a poor kid from EKY singing about how politicians are stealing money from us all and exploiting us all for their gain.

Who’s for that^?

His next song can be about how Spotify took all of the money. Their payouts are brutal. All of the streamers screw the talent. He needs to throw his own concert somewhere and make the money himself.

Reactions: roguemocha
Are there any bigger social media/political sheep in the world than Americans?

They’ll drink the living hell out of shitty beer for decades, then stop drinking it because something was put on a can that can they didn’t like.

They’ll listen to awful music if they happen to agree with the political leanings of the artist.

They’ll line up for 2 days to spend $1200 on the latest iPhone that does nothing of use the previous 5 didn’t do.

They’ll rush to Twitter (or is it X now) 25 times a day to read and repost literal garbage from their Twitter heroes.

They’ll vote for a man who is clearly years past having any semblance of intelligence just because the other guy is mean on Twitter (or is it X now)

All of it just divides us more and gives the politicians more power and money. They’ve played us all like fiddles and we are the ones losing because of it. Wake up folks. The enemy isn’t your neighbor, it’s your senator or state rep or your social media overlords who are laughing all the way to the bank while you think they give a good god damn about anyone or anything other than power and money.

Are there any bigger social media/political sheep in the world than Americans?

They’ll drink the living hell out of shitty beer for decades, then stop drinking it because something was put on a can that can they didn’t like.

They’ll listen to awful music if they happen to agree with the political leanings of the artist.

They’ll line up for 2 days to spend $1200 on the latest iPhone that does nothing of use the previous 5 didn’t do.

They’ll rush to Twitter (or is it X now) 25 times a day to read and repost literal garbage from their Twitter heroes.

They’ll vote for a man who is clearly years past having any semblance of intelligence just because the other guy is mean on Twitter (or is it X now)

All of it just divides us more and gives the politicians more power and money. They’ve played us all like fiddles and we are the ones losing because of it. Wake up folks. The enemy isn’t your neighbor, it’s your senator or state rep or your social media overlords who are laughing all the way to the bank while you think they give a good god damn about anyone or anything other than power and money.
You're close, but I would argue you do damage to yourself mentally believing there's always "an enemy." If you think there's an enemy, then you feel persecuted and wanna fight this "force." Or maybe it just keeps you pissed off which doesn't help either. Just live your life as calmly as you can because thinking there's "enemies" out there won't help your stress levels. I see that goofy shit every time I read these boards. People on the internet want you to believe they're ready for some invisible war when the reality is they're probably posting from a nice iPhone in a den while their wife is making a roast for dinner.

I'm late to this party but I finally listened to this song and had to turn it off after 1 minute.

I get the lyrics speak to people but damn, the voice and the actual music were not impressive to me at all.

Wish him successes but not my cup of tea.

He's making some admirable decisions about ticket pricing but sadly I think his refusal to play the game to an extent will cost him his opportunity. Pretty small window in that industry and he's burning bridges and delaying most of his bigger stuff till next year.

I get it and applaud it. I just hate to see an entire career missed by trying to do the right thing, in the wrong way

He's making some admirable decisions about ticket pricing but sadly I think his refusal to play the game to an extent will cost him his opportunity. Pretty small window in that industry and he's burning bridges and delaying most of his bigger stuff till next year.

I get it and applaud it. I just hate to see an entire career missed by trying to do the right thing, in the wrong way

True to an extent...his style and catalog needs to branch out if he is truly going to "make it", otherwise, his current 15 minutes is up (thankfully)

True to an extent...his style and catalog needs to branch out if he is truly going to "make it", otherwise, his current 15 minutes is up (thankfully)

I think his style will endure but he might well not unless he gets people around him.

His Indy sort of style is basically another version of Tyler Childers and a variation of Zach Bryan. All three now have massive commercial success, so the style will just grow until it becomes mainstream, making people tired of it. That's a bit away yet.

He though needs to get in the game. He posted he signed with some booking agent that will start his Nashville bookings for 2024. 2024 is way too far away for a guy that needs to strike now. By that time, Tyler Childers might have another album or at least single and Zack Bryan will probably have two more albums lol. Then you have others in the pipeline like hw3. He will be a forgotten quantity by then if he doesn't do something

Jmo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT