ADVERTISEMENT

Ole Miss is Better Than Given Credit For

Tampa_cat54

Senior
Apr 22, 2011
A lot of fans were happy with last night, but some seem to think beating a "bad" Ole Miss team by 11 isn't impressive.

This Ole Miss team is actually better than people give them credit for, and have lost a lot of games by a slimmer margin than you'd maybe think.

They have wins over Memphis, Dayton (both NCAA Tournament teams), Florida, @ LSU, etc.

And they have losses to....

@ Tennessee by 6 in overtime
Auburn by 9
Arkansas by 9
@ Auburn again by 11 on the road
@ Florida by 5 in OT

This is an Ole Miss team that is probably a player away from maybe winning a bunch more games, so lets keep things in perspective a bit, especially at this point in the year.

I can't say I have watched them much except when they beat Memphis, but while we did play poor defense overall they could not miss even when we contested very well

Reactions: Fox2monk
They had some players, and played hard- which doesn’t always happen this late in the season with a poor record. I think Dykes said they hadn’t played an actual regular season game with their full roster?

They had some players, and played hard- which doesn’t always happen this late in the season with a poor record. I think Dykes said they hadn’t played an actual regular season game with their full roster?
Correct. I think he said they have been down 2-3 players all year.

Just think it's important to keep things in perspective on this. Also, at this point, conference opponents have largely figured each other out. That won't be the case come NCAA Tournament time...

A lot of fans were happy with last night, but some seem to think beating a "bad" Ole Miss team by 11 isn't impressive.

This Ole Miss team is actually better than people give them credit for, and have lost a lot of games by a slimmer margin than you'd maybe think.

They have wins over Memphis, Dayton (both NCAA Tournament teams), Florida, @ LSU, etc.

Auburn by 9
Arkansas by 9
@ Florida by 5 in OT

This is an Ole Miss team that is probably a player away from maybe winning a bunch more games, so lets keep things in perspective a bit, especially at this point in the year.
I can tell that they were better than many teams we have played, yeah our defense sucked but they really a competitive team that like you said lacks one good player from winning about 7 more games.

Reactions: Tampa_cat54
I'd love to get back to the days where our fans didn't spend so much time rationalizing performances that aren't up to our standard. If it wasn't a good effort, it wasn't a good effort. Learn from it and move on.

Auburn by 9
Arkansas by 9
@ Florida by 5 in OT

A thread that is actually interesting & informative. Thanks @Tampa_cat54

I'd love to get back to the days where our fans didn't spend so much time rationalizing performances that aren't up to our standard. If it wasn't a good effort, it wasn't a good effort. Learn from it and move on.
I don't think this post is an outlier.

I imagine this dude starts a lot of his sentences with "I'd love to get back to the days where"......

Auburn by 9
Arkansas by 9
@ Florida by 5 in OT

Don’t spoil the little joy the haters have left.

You are correct. Old Miss is capable of good basketball. Senior night is very distracting. We have guys recovering from injury. Team is regrouping. After all is said and done, a win is a win.

Don’t spoil the little joy the haters have left.

You are correct. Old Miss is capable of good basketball. Senior night is very distracting. We have guys recovering from injury. Team is regrouping. After all is said and done, a win is a win.
I am happy with the win. Hell, I drove to the game to support them. My point is we could not stay in front of Ole Miss. Brooks let his man go by him from the opening play. Grady doesn’t get many open threes/ but our opponent’s player gets plenty. It’s a valid concern and needs to be addressed before a modern day D Wade sends us packing.

Ole Miss has had key players out this season with injuries. As a article in SI stated:

“Say what you want about Kermit Davis, but despite a plethora of injuries throughout the season, his Ole Miss team keeps fighting. It could have rolled over after its best signee in school history, Daeshun Ruffin, went down the first time. It could have curled up when Robert Allen was sidelined for the season. It could have imploded when Jarkel Joiner had back surgery. It could have been blown away when Ruffin went down again, this time for the remainder of the year.”

Instead, it keeps finding a way to play with intense effort despite some frustrating breaks so far this season.”

I am happy with the win. Hell, I drove to the game to support them. My point is we could not stay in front of Ole Miss. Brooks let his man go by him from the opening play. Grady doesn’t get many open threes/ but our opponent’s player gets plenty. It’s a valid concern and needs to be addressed before a modern day D Wade sends us packing.
If someone goes Wade all over us, not a hell of a lot we or anyone else in the country is going to do about it. Basically your logic is if a good team has a break out game against us and we have a bad game we’ll lose. Well doh.

The tournament takes a certain amount of luck to win. Always has.

I don't think this post is an outlier.

I imagine this dude starts a lot of his sentences with "I'd love to get back to the days where"......
If someone goes Wade all over us, not a hell of a lot we or anyone else in the country is going to do about it. Basically your logic is if a good team has a break out game against us and we have a bad game we’ll lose. Well doh.

The tournament takes a certain amount of luck to win. Always has.
If our defense is like the last few games then we are going to be vulnerable. . Coming back from double digits in a win or go home isn’t easy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT