ADVERTISEMENT

OK, I watched a little of the Florida game from Last Season . . . .

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
I watched like 5 minutes of the 3rd quarter. They mentioned that UK had crossed the 50 into Florida Territory 8 times, and Florida had done the same 3 times out of 8 possessions.

Frankly, we had them outclassed, last year, and the snafus on coverage gave them a win in a game that could easily been a Kentucky blowout.

Florida could be significantly improved, this season, without outclassing UK in the Swamp.

I watched like 5 minutes of the 3rd quarter. They mentioned that UK had crossed the 50 into Florida Territory 8 times, and Florida had done the same 3 times out of 8 possessions.

Frankly, we had them outclassed, last year, and the snafus on coverage gave them a win in a game that could easily been a Kentucky blowout.

Florida could be significantly improved, this season, without outclassing UK in the Swamp.

You are brave re-watching any part of that game. Too much of a punch in the gut, even though it's far from the only one.

Florida firing their coach mid-season last year had more to do with their awfulness than a trumped up story about threats.

Mullen used to tell his MSU teams that "we don't lose to Kentucky" and after the Hail Mary FG in 2017 he was livid. He effectively fired Peter Sirmon that night.

I imagine he will take that same approach at Florida with the "we don't lose to ____" extended to the likes of Vandy, Tennessee and South Carolina.

Florida firing their coach mid-season last year had more to do with their awfulness than a trumped up story about threats.

Mullen used to tell his MSU teams that "we don't lose to Kentucky" and after the Hail Mary FG in 2017 he was livid. He effectively fired Peter Sirmon that night.

I imagine he will take that same approach at Florida with the "we don't lose to ____" extended to the likes of Vandy, Tennessee and South Carolina.

UT and SC are both outrecruiting UF. Not the first time that’s happened either. Motor mouth Mullen can talk with the best of them, and he’ll talk to himself if nobody is around, he loves to listen to himself. But if he doesn’t figure out how to recruit somewhere close to UGA, he will be fighting for second place with about 2-3 other teams every year.

They got back a number of the credit card scam players. They won’t be a fraud this year.

Reactions: ukchamps_98
UT and SC are both outrecruiting UF. Not the first time that’s happened either. Motor mouth Mullen can talk with the best of them, and he’ll talk to himself if nobody is around, he loves to listen to himself. But if he doesn’t figure out how to recruit somewhere close to UGA, he will be fighting for second place with about 2-3 other teams every year.

Or, is Mullen a great evaluator of talent? Seems he must be pretty good given what he did at MSU. (1) recruiting is not over so ranking now is irrelevant and (2) the best rank of the 2019 class will be in four years.

Reactions: seccats04
Or, is Mullen a great evaluator of talent? Seems he must be pretty good given what he did at MSU. (1) recruiting is not over so ranking now is irrelevant and (2) the best rank of the 2019 class will be in four years.

Oh, Mullen did not kick ass at MSU, he did well in many aspects to keep them bowling every year in the tough West, but he loaded that yearly schedule with 4 automatic win OOC home games. All he had to do was win 2 SEC games each year to go bowling with the four auto wins. That’s mostly what he did while there averaging 3-4 SEC wins/year. Against ranked opponents his record was abysmal and against his instate rival he didn’t do anything special. I give him credit for elevating the MSU program to that level, it wasn’t easy. But that doesn’t guarantee he can take UF to the heights they are expecting, especially if he is not a top notch recruiter like most say. He can evaluate and develop all he wants, that keeps him competitive with “most” of the teams in the SEC, most....

Last edited:
Reactions: mattrudd
That is my guess. He never had high ranked classes at MSU and they got to #1 at one point. They couldn't get over the Bama hump but they weren't buying players like Ole Miss was.

And still win 90% of his games against UK.

Sec guys had Fla dline in top 5 on sec news...we will have to play a perfect game to beat them in Gainesville. Hope we walk out of the stadium with big smiles on our faces!!!!

Not a slam but we historically don’t do well against the spread, particularly at accounting for the QB. I think (hope) we have the athleticism on D to do that this year but I’ll just take the wait and see approach.

Sec guys had Fla dline in top 5 on sec news...we will have to play a perfect game to beat them in Gainesville. Hope we walk out of the stadium with big smiles on our faces!!!!

And MSU as #1. MSU sure getting a lot of good pub.

I would like nothing more than to go to the swamp and beat them. No one is unbeatable (except maybe Bama).

Not a slam but we historically don’t do well against the spread, particularly at accounting for the QB. I think (hope) we have the athleticism on D to do that this year but I’ll just take the wait and see approach.
He’s been fortunate to have Dak Prescott and Nick Fitzgerald running his spread offense the last 7 years. This will be the first Pro Style QB he’s had in almost a decade. Will he adapt his offense around Franks, or will he try to run the spread with a Pro Style QB?

Either way, I like our chances better with a Franks led Mullen offense as opposed to the the elite mobile QBs that have gashed us under Mullen the last 8 years.

Reactions: jauk11
He’s been fortunate to have Dak Prescott and Nick Fitzgerald running his spread offense the last 7 years. This will be the first Pro Style QB he’s had in almost a decade. Will he adapt his offense around Franks, or will he try to run the spread with a Pro Style QB?

Either way, I like our chances better with a Franks led Mullen offense as opposed to the the elite mobile QBs that have gashed us under Mullen the last 8 years.

He also beat UK with guys like Chris Relf and Tyson Lee under center. I'm not sure it matters.

Good. Can’t wait to make Mullen the coach who lost to UK to end the UF streak.

Felipe Franks is not Dak Prescott nor Nick Fitzgerald

His mouth has written several checks his rear will have a tough time cashing. At one of his first pressers he got a dig in against UGA when asked how long it would take up to pass UGA, his reply was even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then. Even his players have gotten into the act, by saying our last year game was much closer than the score and they could have won it. Pre game it was all Fromm could throw was slants. Until we can get a few wins in a row over them they still make me nervous. I expect them to be better this fall, QB play will determin how much, but it would be fun hanging 50 on them. Wish Kirby had, but apparently him and McElwain were friends having coached together at Bama.

His mouth has written several checks his rear will have a tough time cashing. At one of his first pressers he got a dig in against UGA when asked how long it would take up to pass UGA, his reply was even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then. Even his players have gotten into the act, by saying our last year game was much closer than the score and they could have won it. Pre game it was all Fromm could throw was slants. Until we can get a few wins in a row over them they still make me nervous. I expect them to be better this fall, QB play will determin how much, but it would be fun hanging 50 on them. Wish Kirby had, but apparently him and McElwain were friends having coached together at Bama.

They didn’t hire him to heap praise on Georgia. There are only a hand full of coaches in college football who can accomplish what he did at Mississippi State.

Dak, Nick, and Tim were all coached by Mullen. No doubt he coached physical quarterbacks. Be interesting to see what he does with what he inherited at that position. I watched Cats last season game three times and didn't see any that matched three above mentioned qbs.. Other than Ce Ce thought our o. line up matched up with Gators defense a lot better than in the past.

Many different things lost that game but the main one was the holding call at the end with us fixing to kick a fg to win
If we had just kicked it instead of running 1 more play we win. If that ref wasn't looking for an excuse to throw that flag we win.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity

Screw Mullen.

Stoops needs to tell his players that the years of losing to Florida is over with.

Reactions: mktmaker and TNTUK
I have not heard anything from their camp. Does it look like Emory Jones plays this year?

No starter has been named, and probably won't until just before the opener, imo. Felipe Franks, Kyle Trask, and Emory Jones will likely all play in the first 2 games. Jones may or may not redshirt (the new rules allow a player to participate in ANY 4 games during the season and still redshirt), but don't look for him to earn a starting role this season.

Trask is interesting. Like Franks, he is a redshirt-sophomore, but he didn't play last year due to injury. At 6-5 235, he is physically sized to take a pounding in the SEC (Franks is 6-6 240). Jones enrolled early and had spring practice, but is not yet that physically developed.

WR is loaded, as is RB for UF this year. The offense will depend more on the play of the OL. Whoever is under center will not be asked to win games, simply manage them and not make big mistakes.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
No starter has been named, and probably won't until just before the opener, imo. Felipe Franks, Kyle Trask, and Emory Jones will likely all play in the first 2 games. Jones may or may not redshirt (the new rules allow a player to participate in ANY 4 games during the season and still redshirt), but don't look for him to earn a starting role this season.

Trask is interesting. Like Franks, he is a redshirt-sophomore, but he didn't play last year due to injury. At 6-5 235, he is physically sized to take a pounding in the SEC (Franks is 6-6 240). Jones enrolled early and had spring practice, but is not yet that physically developed.

WR is loaded, as is RB for UF this year. The offense will depend more on the play of the OL. Whoever is under center will not be asked to win games, simply manage them and not make big mistakes.

Good report. Thanks.

I watched the 4th quarter of that game to try and get a grasp on things that contributed to that unbelievable loss.
The confusion on our sideline that led to only 10 players on defense certainly was a huge factor. Easy to see from watching the game on tv CMS knew they were hosed up on that play. Should have called a timeout.

The officials did what they always do in a UK SEC game. Find a way to put us in position to lose the game. Been following for 50+ years. We are not SUPPOSED to beat these upper echelon teams.

Two of our surest tacklers whiffed on two 4th down plays that would have ended the game with a victory. Whiffed.

But, the one thing that really stood out to me that sealed that loss was when UF cut the lead to 6 and we get the ball back with approximately 6 minutes to go in the game, and all it would have taken was 2 first downs to kill the clock, the offense comes on the field..............and no Benny Snell.
Not even for one single play in the most important drive of the season, decade, almost half century. And your best player is not on the field.
SK gets totally blown up on 3 consecutive plays and SJ didn’t have a prayer against the Florida rush. Game over. Everyone in the stadium knew it was all over but the crying.

And I almost cried when NO BENNY, NO WIN!!
Don’t know if that was Stoops’ call or EG but coaches have to do better in game situations like that or we will never get over the hump.

I watched the 4th quarter of that game to try and get a grasp on things that contributed to that unbelievable loss.
The confusion on our sideline that led to only 10 players on defense certainly was a huge factor. Easy to see from watching the game on tv CMS knew they were hosed up on that play. Should have called a timeout.

The officials did what they always do in a UK SEC game. Find a way to put us in position to lose the game. Been following for 50+ years. We are not SUPPOSED to beat these upper echelon teams.

Two of our surest tacklers whiffed on two 4th down plays that would have ended the game with a victory. Whiffed.

But, the one thing that really stood out to me that sealed that loss was when UF cut the lead to 6 and we get the ball back with approximately 6 minutes to go in the game, and all it would have taken was 2 first downs to kill the clock, the offense comes on the field..............and no Benny Snell.
Not even for one single play in the most important drive of the season, decade, almost half century. And your best player is not on the field.
SK gets totally blown up on 3 consecutive plays and SJ didn’t have a prayer against the Florida rush. Game over. Everyone in the stadium knew it was all over but the crying.

And I almost cried when NO BENNY, NO WIN!!
Don’t know if that was Stoops’ call or EG but coaches have to do better in game situations like that or we will never get over the hump.
I thought we were in great shape to win until the ref's did their thing as always. I will never believe UF gets called for a hold on that play against us if it happened a million times. We had a chip shot for the win and had a great kicker. That call was truly sickening after years of watching UF get away with literally wrapping up and tackling UK defenders at times.

Reactions: RV2

I was on the Florida bench during that fourth quarter, so I was able to see first-hand how a "blue blood" reacts to being down 13 in the last quarter on the road. Their coaches--to a man--didn't seem bothered by it at all but rather embraced the fact that they were in a pitched battle, that "all hands on deck" were needed, but with a calmness and sense of urgency about them, seemed to convey that same tranquility to their kids in every way. Maybe it helped that they'd beaten us so many straight times, that they just expected to win, but they were calm under fire and executed a well-managed plan to win the game. I knew Kentucky would need to have a disastrous fourth quarter to lose, and that's excatly what we got. We certainly helped them win, but their winning attitude and overall mindset was clear to me as I observed closely on their sideline everything they did to accomplish that comeback.

Wow. I wonder where I could find these Blueblood coaches, today?
Right. I have wondered about that too. Maybe it's the "program effect" that makes you a better coach in the heat of battle. I do think there could be something to that...something we have almost NEVER possessed in any modern-day team. Wouldn't it be nice to change that thinking around...

ADVERTISEMENT